PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong team full of Tour de France veterans

polsongrizz
June 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM
June 22, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Lance Armstrong will have most of last year's team back when he goes for his seventh straight Tour de France victory.

Armstrong's Discovery Channel team features six returning cyclists, including American George Hincapie, and two new ones, Italy's Paolo Savoldelli and Ukrainian Yaroslav Popovych, it was announced Wednesday.

Armstrong, 33, said he will retire after this year's Tour, which starts July 2.

``I think we have fielded our strongest team ever with this formation,'' said Armstrong, who is in Spain training for the race. ``I'm more motivated than ever.''

Armstrong's other teammates from last year are Spain's Jose Luis Rubiera, Manuel Beltran and Benjamin Noval, Czech Republic's Pavel Padrnos and Portugal's Jose Azevedo. Savoldelli has won the Tour of Italy twice and Popovych finished third in the 2003 edition.

Armstrong called Rubiera, Beltran and Noval the ``Spanish armada'' to help him in the mountains.

Hincapie has raced with Armstrong in all six of his Tour victories, and several others have been on board for two or more.

``I wanted an experienced team for Lance's last Tour and that was the determining factor,'' said Discovery Channel manager Johan Bruyneel. ``I want him to be surrounded by guys who have always been around him.

``I think we have guys for everywhere -- the flats, those that will work in the hard stages and guys for the mountains.''

The team is missing Viatcheslav Ekimov, who rode with Armstrong to five Tour victories but injured his back in a training accident in April.

blukeys
June 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM
This is great news. Lance is an exceptional athlete, but people don't appreciate how important the whole team is to getting him to the finish line. I'll be following this closely.

polsongrizz
June 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
As will I Keys, the Tour is one of the summers only great sporting events.

ISUMatt
June 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Yes and Thank you to OLN for telecasting it live everyday!!!

polsongrizz
June 24th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Yes and Thank you to OLN for telecasting it live everyday!!!
No doubt, I wake up early every day just to watch.

Grizo406
June 24th, 2005, 02:51 PM
No doubt, I wake up early every day just to watch.

It'll be starting before 2PM, pols...just a little heads up for ya', pal. ;)

polsongrizz
June 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM
It'll be starting before 2PM, pols...just a little heads up for ya', pal. ;)
Like I said, " I will be waking up early" :D ;)

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Going to miss Eki, but the new guys are solid and I can't wait to begin le Tour!

Hachiko
June 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Lance will get Number 7. It would be quite a disappointment if he doesn't.

ngineer
June 27th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Watching this year's Tour will be like watching history in the making. If Lance wins, it will be a feat that will stand for the ages.

polsongrizz
June 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Lance will get Number 7. It would be quite a disappointment if he doesn't.
I like anyone want to see him win, but I would only consider it a disappointment if he doesn't do well.

blukeys
June 28th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Anyone who has tried to average 25 mph for an hour on a flat road within a good pace line can appreciate the unique ability and genetics of a Lance Armstrong. With this team I believe Lance will take his 7th Tour. But should he fail there is no denying that this is one of the greatest American Sportsmen of all time. To accomplish this after Lance's brush with death only adds to his greatness.

I will stay tuned on OLN during July (football hasn't started yet right?) to follow Lance's quest.

We all have played and followed sports for years and appreciate the accomplishments of individuals who actually play hard football for about 17 minutes in a 60 minute game once a week. Lance competes for 7 to 8 hours with no break for days on end.

The Tour de France is one of the great athletic challenges one can aspire to. Lance has no more mountains to climb but he will do it nonetheless for all of us.

polsongrizz
June 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM
The Tour de France is one of the great athletic challenges one can aspire to. Lance has no more mountains to climb but he will do it nonetheless for all of us.
Have you forgot Sheryl... :D :nod:

chattanoogamocs
June 29th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Lance will burn nearly a quarter million calories in the month of July :eek:

....that equates to about 70 pounds of body weight he has to replace during the month. Those guys have to eat non-stop to replenish and still lose anywhere from 15 to 20 pounds by race end.

I enjoy so many sports, but I love nothing more than the month of July when everything I do seems to stop and all I do all day is watch OLN from 9 in the morning til 11 at night (watch the live show, then the replay with the additional commentary and interviews...one of the bonuses of owning your own business :))

I can hardly wait to hear Bob Roll say...Tour Day France!

Less than 72 more hours!!!!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/05/6/1119975105/img/image.gif

blukeys
June 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Have you forgot Sheryl... :D :nod:
No that's laying between the twin peaks not climbing the mountain.

chattanoogamocs
June 29th, 2005, 09:46 PM
whew, I just got a chill...

watching a repeat of Lost and they have a Nike Wear Yellow commercial, it is from Lance's 1996 press conference where he first let the public know that he had testicular cancer and it had spread to his abdomen (and lungs and brain).

You can tell that he is choking back tears while he tries to get through the statement...at the end he says "I will beat this...and I will return to professional cycling"

whew...I just got a chill again