PDA

View Full Version : FAMU fires head coach...on Homecoming weekend

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2014, 05:49 PM
FAMU Head Coach, Earl Holmes let go as head football of Florida A&M

Complete up to the minute updates at this link:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2014/10/28/famu-cancels-weekly-football-press-conference/18057503/

FAMU players met with AD Kellen Winslow Sr. after learning of the news
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9e3bff266982469a700bebacaefc86fdaa29e89c/c=242-0-1678-1080&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Tallahassee/None/2014/10/28/635501066021063797-image1.JPG

rokamortis
October 28th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Why fire him in midseason?

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Why fire him in midseason?

A lot of Rattler believe he should've been let go at some point...but not right before homecoming.

This is the worst FAMU team we've fielded...in history...but man, this is tough way to go. Especially when you're one of the greatest players in FAMU, MEAC, and I-AA/FCS history

To be honest, that spanking CCU laid on us in Bragg Stadium really started the ball moving, IMO...that was embarrassing

rokamortis
October 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
A lot of Rattler believe he should've been let go at some point...but not right before homecoming.

This is the worst FAMU team we've fielded...in history...but man, this is tough way to go. Especially when you're one of the greatest players in FAMU, MEAC, and I-AA/FCS history

To be honest, that spanking CCU laid on us in Bragg Stadium really started the ball moving, IMO...that was embarrassing

I wasn't real impressed with him before or after the Coastal game - but they should have let the season play out at least. I think FAMU nation needs a bit of reality check as well. I think expectations may be a bit too high for the resources they are providing.

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I wasn't real impressed with him before or after the Coastal game - but they should have let the season play out at least. I think FAMU nation needs a bit of reality check as well. I think expectations may be a bit too high for the resources they are providing.

Trust me, the resources are coming...FAMU is different from the other MEAC schools. Our fans HATE losing...it's a tough place to coach. Everybody knows that.

No offense to CCU fans, but I'm not sure you guys know the FAMU program that was winning consistently and winning playoff games. I don't mean to insult your knowledge or how much you know about FAMU, but this was a once proud program that seemed to be returning back to glory around 2008-2010(I only say this because you all have a newer and very successful program, not be to be mean).

We also know changes must be made. And the CCU game really exposed that. Honestly, and this is just my personal opinion, I really think our fans got complacent and thought the FAMU name would carry us...and that's not how it works. This year has been a reality check for us, and hopefully we learn from this.

Athletics is due for an overhaul

Big Dawg
October 28th, 2014, 07:16 PM
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Senior-FAMU-Football-Players-talk-with-Athletic-Director-280686632.html

rokamortis
October 28th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Trust me, the resources are coming...FAMU is different from the other MEAC schools. Our fans HATE losing...it's a tough place to coach. Everybody knows that.

No offense to CCU fans, but I'm not sure you guys know the FAMU program that was winning consistently and winning playoff games. I don't mean to insult your knowledge or how much you know about FAMU, but this was a once proud program that seemed to be returning back to glory around 2008-2010(I only say this because you all have a newer and very successful program, not be to be mean).

We also know changes must be made. And the CCU game really exposed that. Honestly, and this is just my personal opinion, I really think our fans got complacent and thought the FAMU name would carry us...and that's not how it works. This year has been a reality check for us, and hopefully we learn from this.

Athletics is due for an overhaul

I know you all have had some success, but in line with some of your points, the fans also have to look at it objectively. Just because you used to be good doesn't mean that you will continue to be good. You need to give a coach some time to build a team. You can't do that if they are on a short leash or scraping for resources. Hopefully you all can turn it around.

AggieManiac704
October 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I know you all have had some success, but in line with some of your points, the fans also have to look at it objectively. Just because you used to be good doesn't mean that you will continue to be good. You need to give a coach some time to build a team. You can't do that if they are on a short leash or scraping for resources. Hopefully you all can turn it around.

My thoughts exactly

superman7515
October 29th, 2014, 09:29 AM

And it's not like they've been a historically strong program. They're good at the HBCU level, but their only success in the playoffs over the last few decades was 1998 (won 1 playoff game) and 1999 (won two playoff games). So in the last 35 years, they've won 3 playoff games; for perspective, Idaho State has won 3 in the last 35 as well, so has Western Carolina, and they'd hardly be considered a couple of powerhouses in FCS history. Yes, they won the 1AA Championship in 1978, and not to take anything away from that, but there were about 30 teams playing 1AA ball at the time and FAMU was playing in a D2 conference at the time (the SIAC, the MEAC has never won a FCS/1AA championship).

FAMU typically artificially inflates their record against weak teams from the SWAC and D2 schools, to the point they basically gave up playing non-conference games against FCS PWC's in the regular season. Before playing Coastal Carolina this season, FAMU had not faced a PWC in an FCS vs FCS matchup in the regular season since playing Georgia Southern in 1991 (23 years). The kids playing the game this season weren't even born yet the last time FAMU played an FCS vs FCS game against a PWC. They've basically insulated themselves from the rest of the subdivision and, as time has gone by, they've slid further and further behind as other teams moved forward.

Sader87
October 29th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Need another cup of coffee supe, what does PWC stand for?

rokamortis
October 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
They've basically insulated themselves from the rest of the subdivision and, as time has gone by, they've slid further and further behind as other teams moved forward.

Good post. We typically play an HBCU and this year we played 3. I look at what A&T is doing vs what I perceive FAMU is doing and it seems like A&T is trying to work and invest to become successful while FAMU just expects it. FAMU's expectations were just way above where they should have been. For example: their coach was cocky, talking about how they were going to set the tone on defense and they wanted to give us the ball to start - then ended up looking like clowns doing stuff like kicking the ball into the back of their line 2 times. The coach then says chqanges needed to be made and their kicking coach 'resigns' the next day. It seemed like the fans and administration were putting undue pressure on the team as well.

I hope they get it figured out, but they have to look at the root cause first and be prepared to invest time, money, and patience.

rokamortis
October 29th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Need another cup of coffee supe, what does PWC stand for?

Pretty Well-off Caucasians xcoffeex

really - Predominantly White College

dgtw
October 29th, 2014, 12:43 PM
How did they get in the DIAA playoffs in 1978 if they were in a D2 league?

superman7515
October 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
How did they get in the DIAA playoffs in 1978 if they were in a D2 league?

They chose to play 1AA football and there weren't conference requirements at that time. The SWAC was a D2 conference at the time and Grambling made the playoffs. There were more D2 teams in the SWAC that year than 1AA teams.

Big Dawg
October 29th, 2014, 01:53 PM
And it's not like they've been a historically strong program. They're good at the HBCU level, but their only success in the playoffs over the last few decades was 1998 (won 1 playoff game) and 1999 (won two playoff games). So in the last 35 years, they've won 3 playoff games; for perspective, Idaho State has won 3 in the last 35 as well, so has Western Carolina, and they'd hardly be considered a couple of powerhouses in FCS history. Yes, they won the 1AA Championship in 1978, and not to take anything away from that, but there were about 30 teams playing 1AA ball at the time and FAMU was playing in a D2 conference at the time (the SIAC, the MEAC has never won a FCS/1AA championship).

FAMU typically artificially inflates their record against weak teams from the SWAC and D2 schools, to the point they basically gave up playing non-conference games against FCS PWC's in the regular season. Before playing Coastal Carolina this season, FAMU had not faced a PWC in an FCS vs FCS matchup in the regular season since playing Georgia Southern in 1991 (23 years). The kids playing the game this season weren't even born yet the last time FAMU played an FCS vs FCS game against a PWC. They've basically insulated themselves from the rest of the subdivision and, as time has gone by, they've slid further and further behind as other teams moved forward.

We haven't historically been a strong program...that is HILARIOUS...and WRONG

And the HBCU level is the FCS level. We play and schedule who we want to based on what our fans will buy into. In the 80s and 90s, Southern, Tennessee State, Jackson State, and Grambling were KEY match-ups for us and they were DAMN good programs. So don't come in here all high and mighty telling us who we are and who we were and you have NO clue about the FAMU football pedigree...let's get that clear right now

And again I always have to check you on the PWC fact...we played Nicholls State in Tallahassee in 2004. We also played Samford and lost by 7 last season in Tallahassee...and we have a home and home with them. Nobody has insulated themselves. Now if Delaware or any other "PWC" wants a game, they know who to call

Over here talking about "Artificially Inflating" our record...pure BS

- - - Updated - - -

And the HBCU level is the FCS level. We play and schedule who we want to based on what our fans will buy into. In the 80s and 90s, Southern, Tennessee State, Jackson State, and Grambling were KEY match-ups for us and they were DAMN good programs. So don't come in here all high and mighty telling us who we are and who we were and you have NO clue about the FAMU football pedigree...let's get that clear right now

And again I always have to check you on the PWC fact...we played Nicholls State in Tallahassee in 2004. We also played Samford and lost by 7 last season in Tallahassee...and we have a home and home with them. Nobody has insulated themselves. Now if Delaware or any other "PWC" wants a game, they know who to call

Big Dawg
October 29th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Good post. We typically play an HBCU and this year we played 3. I look at what A&T is doing vs what I perceive FAMU is doing and it seems like A&T is trying to work and invest to become successful while FAMU just expects it. FAMU's expectations were just way above where they should have been. For example: their coach was cocky, talking about how they were going to set the tone on defense and they wanted to give us the ball to start - then ended up looking like clowns doing stuff like kicking the ball into the back of their line 2 times. The coach then says chqanges needed to be made and their kicking coach 'resigns' the next day. It seemed like the fans and administration were putting undue pressure on the team as well.

I hope they get it figured out, but they have to look at the root cause first and be prepared to invest time, money, and patience.

It was a horrible post...and superman is typically a pretty cool poster...but he is OFF BASE on that post

Also what do you want a coach to say "CCU is going to kick our asses on Saturday...so prepare for it"

Seriously guys?

superman7515
October 29th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Nothing high and mighty about, Delaware sucks this year too if that makes you feel any better, haha. As for if we want a game, to call FAMU, why don't you check with FAMU Hall of Famer and former Sports Information Director Alvin Hollins. Delaware tried to schedule a home & home with FAMU, FAMU turned it down. It's okay, if you're scared, say you're scared.

As for the "always have to check you on the PWC fact" statement, the fact remains that FAMU was a transitional team in 2004 and had more than the FCS allotment of scholarships. FAMU was not an FCS team that year, wasn't eligible for the playoffs, wasn't eligible for any conference championship (they weren't even in a conference, they left the MEAC and were 1A Independent), etc. So my statement that FAMU avoided an FCS vs FCS matchup with a PWC for 20+ years remains.

Don't worry about the artificially inflating your record comment, I didn't mean anything by it as we play DelState for the same reason you do. xlolx

rokamortis
October 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM
It was a horrible post...and superman is typically a pretty cool poster...but he is OFF BASE on that post

Also what do you want a coach to say "CCU is going to kick our asses on Saturday...so prepare for it"

Seriously guys?

Not exactly, but close. I think he should try to set realistic expectations. coach speak more or less ... We are a young team, they are ranked, been to playoffs, yada yada.

You see where unrealistic expectations get you - fired in midseason, homecoming no less.

WileECoyote06
October 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Nothing high and mighty about, Delaware sucks this year too if that makes you feel any better, haha. As for if we want a game, to call FAMU, why don't you check with FAMU Hall of Famer and former Sports Information Director Alvin Hollins. Delaware tried to schedule a home & home with FAMU, FAMU turned it down. It's okay, if you're scared, say you're scared.

As for the "always have to check you on the PWC fact" statement, the fact remains that FAMU was a transitional team in 2004 and had more than the FCS allotment of scholarships. FAMU was not an FCS team that year, wasn't eligible for the playoffs, wasn't eligible for any conference championship (they weren't even in a conference, they left the MEAC and were 1A Independent), etc. So my statement that FAMU avoided an FCS vs FCS matchup with a PWC for 20+ years remains.

Don't worry about the artificially inflating your record comment, I didn't mean anything by it as we play DelState for the same reason you do. xlolx
Did I miss something about your previous post that disregards their game against Samford last year? Or is Samford now a federally designated HBCU?
BTW, can you blame them for previous scheduling? Games against the SWAC schools and TSU were profitable whereas games against Del. State and Morgan State were not as profitable. As a well regarded program in the 1990s they were advancing to the FCS playoffs anyway. Oh and to say FAMU isn't or wasn't a historically strong program is some type of weirdo revisionist history. They've won two recognized national championships outside of the eleven Black College National Championships.

WileECoyote06
October 29th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Not exactly, but close. I think he should try to set realistic expectations. coach speak more or less ... We are a young team, they are ranked, been to playoffs, yada yada.

You see where unrealistic expectations get you - fired in midseason, homecoming no less.

I wouldn't point to expectations, I'd point to coaching and terrible game play. And that will definitely get you fired mid-season.

Big Dawg
October 29th, 2014, 06:39 PM

We played Samford last season and will play them next season...again, you're missing some key facts

We can go to the MEAC board and ask Mr. Hollins himself...he's a walking FAMU encyclopedia LOL

superman7515
October 29th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Did I miss something about your previous post that disregards their game against Samford last year? Or is Samford now a federally designated HBCU?
BTW, can you blame them for previous scheduling? Games against the SWAC schools and TSU were profitable whereas games against Del. State and Morgan State were not as profitable. As a well regarded program in the 1990s they were advancing to the FCS playoffs anyway. Oh and to say FAMU isn't or wasn't a historically strong program is some type of weirdo revisionist history. They've won two recognized national championships outside of the eleven Black College National Championships.

Yeah, I forgot about Samford. Mea Culpa, that one is on me. As for the historically point, I was speaking strictly of their history in the FCS, so the title in the 1960's wouldn't be germane to the conversation I believed was happening. I think you guys are taking what I said the wrong way. I'm not faulting FAMU, or anyone else for that matter, for playing the games they need to play to get the program funded. To be completely honest, I think a lot of FAMU's current problems are the fault of the failed administration that tried to make a rushed move to 1A in 2004. What I am saying is they insulated themselves from the rest of the subdivision and played nothing but HBCU's and money games and that's not incorrect. They didn't have a choice, the aborted move to 1A lost them so much money it was crazy, not to mention the players that were lost in the shuffle. They recruited for a 1AA season going into 2004, made a hasty decision to go 1A and had nearly a dozen players who were no longer eligible because they were moving from a 1A team to a 1AA team and free to play, but suddenly were moving from a 1A to a 1A and had to sit a year. So a lot of them left/didn't enroll and that hurt the recruiting class. Then after the miserable 2004 season and the vote to postpone for three years, the admin, in an attempt to push blame off themselves and misdirect, get rid of one of the greatest MEAC coaches of all time in Billy Joe, when he had been put into an absolutely untenable situation.

Here's a guy who is 83-38 (.686) going into 2004 with three playoff wins and led FAMU to six straight playoff appearances, making it to the semis. And they fire him for their own mistakes? Ridiculous. So now they have no coach, they've lost a lot of money, and they've lost a lot of players. What has happened since? 53-51 against D1 competition, 1 shared MEAC championship but none outright, 0 playoff appearances, 5 coaches in 10 years, APR penalties, a playoff ban... They lost 9 games last season. Ya know the last time FAMU lost 9 games in a season? I'll give you a hint, NEVER! Dating back to 1907. And this year could actually be worse. When Gainous pushed out Ken Riley and brought in J.R. Lee, then started the push for 1A, is when it all started breaking down.

We played Samford last season and will play them next season...again, you're missing some key facts

We can go to the MEAC board and ask Mr. Hollins himself...he's a walking FAMU encyclopedia LOL

Yeah, I freely admit I missed the Samford game. So 1991 - 2013, still 20+ years. It's just 22 instead of 23, my bad.

And feel free to ask Statman, I still have the emails he sent me about it, so I'm quite sure he remembers. He's a great guy and I have no reason to doubt a word he says to me. I have no ill will towards FAMU, it's a shame what has happened to them, but they're self-inflicted wounds by a previous administration.

Libertine
October 30th, 2014, 08:14 AM
My favorite line from the (now updated) article:

Florida A&M football players, led by senior quarterback Damien Fleming, are inside Athletic Director Kellen Winslow's office.... The players marched from the field house to Winslow's office and demanded to see the athletic director. Winslow met them outside and asked them to disperse.
"Don't y'all have a book to read?" Winslow asked when trying to get the players to leave.

He then agreed to meet with only senior players and asked media to leave his office.