PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 7 2014

bonarae
October 26th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Last week was full of blowouts. Thank you loyal guys for penciling in the final scores on my behalf. I may still create Ivy threads next season but I have been less involved regarding Ivy football for a few years now.

This week may be another blowout week.

Yale at Columbia
Princeton at Cornell
Brown at Penn
Harvard at Dartmouth - can the winner win the Ivy title at the end of the year? Shootout or tight game?

bulldog10jw
October 26th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Yale
Princeton
Penn
Harvard

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Yale
Princeton
Penn
Harvard
Penn-Brown is a coin flip, in my view. With Hempel back, I like Harvard over Dartmouth by a TD. I agree with bulldog's picks.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Come on and vote, Dartmouth people. You haven't beaten us in Hanover since Bill Clinton's first year in office.

Go Green
October 27th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I was a lone voice predicting a Dartmouth victory over Yale here three weeks ago, so....

It should be miserable weather in Hanover on Saturday. Ask Princeton what happens when a first-place team comes to Memorial Field in such conditions. They have some recent experience to share with you in that respect.

:)

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I was a lone voice predicting a Dartmouth victory over Yale here three weeks ago, so....

It should be miserable weather in Hanover on Saturday. Ask Princeton what happens when a first-place team comes to Memorial Field in such conditions. They have some recent experience to share with you in that respect.

I assure you that we're pretty good "mudders," Greenie. Game on.xcoolx

Crimson Dad Leopard Grad
October 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM

I don't think weather will decide the game, it will be a great game no matter what, but assuming your point is that bad weather will prevent a high scoring passing game, the stats don't support your contention that it's an advantage for Dartmouth.

Harvard rushes for 208 yds/game, Dartmouth yields 145

Dartmouth rushes for 159 yds/ game, Harvard yields 78

I'll take the #3 rushing defense in the country if it's raining.

World
October 27th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Yale at Columbia
Princeton at Cornell
Brown at Penn
Harvard at Dartmouth

Go Green
October 27th, 2014, 07:59 PM
but assuming your point is that bad weather will prevent a high scoring passing game, the stats don't support your contention that it's an advantage for Dartmouth.

Again, watch the Dartmouth-Princeton 2013 tape. Princeton's offense was supposed to be unstoppable last year. And then they ran into bad weather and the Dartmouth defense.

Pard4Life
October 27th, 2014, 08:47 PM
C'mon Cornell... C'mon Cornell!!

Go...gate
October 28th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Harvard - Dartmouth is going to be a very good game. Dartmouth has a much stronger defense than Princeton.

Crimson Dad Leopard Grad
October 28th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Yale at Columbia starters get plenty of rest
Princeton at Cornell I feel sorry for Cornell this week
Brown at Penn Best chance for a quality win in Coach Al's last season
Harvard at Dartmouth The Crimson win despite "miserable weather in Hanover"*

* Go Green, 10/27/14

Skyhawk71
October 28th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Yale @ Columbia
Princeton @ Cornell
Brown @ Penn
Harvard @ Dartmouth

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Harvard 28, Dartmouth 21.

Or something like that.

bulldog10jw
October 28th, 2014, 06:58 PM
If anyone saw the Yale-Penn game on Saturday, a Yale player, Spencer Rymiszewski, was taken off the field on a stretcher. A scary moment, actually about 15 minutes, as the medical personnel were being very careful since he wasn't moving. He's out for the year, but appears to be fine.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20141027d0pi8z

Yale sophomore CB Spencer Rymiszewski (http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/bios/rymiszewski_spencer_9oqw) was injured in the first half against Penn and taken off the field on a stretcher. Today he released the following statement: "During Satuday's game against Penn, I suffered a spinal cord concussion that will have me sidelined for the rest of the season. I anticipate making a full recovery and getting back on the football field with my brothers. I am grateful to the Yale medical staff and the entire Yale football community---to include the administrative staff, my coaches, my teammates, and all of the parents---for their care, kindness, love, and support over the last days."

CHIP72
October 28th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I saw the play where the Yale player got injured, and I'm glad to hear he's OK.

Crimson Dad Leopard Grad
October 29th, 2014, 05:31 AM
If anyone saw the Yale-Penn game on Saturday, a Yale player, Spencer Rymiszewski, was taken off the field on a stretcher. A scary moment, actually about 15 minutes, as the medical personnel were being very careful since he wasn't moving. He's out for the year, but appears to be fine.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20141027d0pi8z

Yale sophomore CB Spencer Rymiszewski (http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/bios/rymiszewski_spencer_9oqw) was injured in the first half against Penn and taken off the field on a stretcher. Today he released the following statement: "During Satuday's game against Penn, I suffered a spinal cord concussion that will have me sidelined for the rest of the season. I anticipate making a full recovery and getting back on the football field with my brothers. I am grateful to the Yale medical staff and the entire Yale football community---to include the administrative staff, my coaches, my teammates, and all of the parents---for their care, kindness, love, and support over the last days."

Great news

Go Green
October 29th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Yale will win, although by how much depends if they do what Dartmouth did and rest the starters this week.

Princeton will win. Cornell just isn't very good.

Brown will win. Penn just isn't very good.

Dartmouth will win. Unlike last year, Dartmouth is at full strength on offense. And we will win even though the Saturday weather report doesn't look as dire now as it did earlier this week.

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Yale will win, although by how much depends if they do what Dartmouth did and rest the starters this week.

Princeton will win. Cornell just isn't very good.

Brown will win. Penn just isn't very good.

Dartmouth will win. Unlike last year, Dartmouth is at full strength on offense. And we will win even though the Saturday weather report doesn't look as dire now as it did earlier this week.

And thank you for voting!:Dxrotatehx

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I have made an appropriate wager with a lawyer friend from Dartmouth who played for the Indians back in the day. Alcohol is involved, as should be de rigueur in any Harvard-Dartmouth bet.

TheDHC
October 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Yale at Columbia - Nottingham, the Standford QB transfer, isn't even on the lion's roster anymore. Columbia might be one of the most moribund programs in the FCS
Princeton at Cornell - The Crimson may have ground the Tigers into a fine paste last weekend, but Cornell may even be bad enough to lose to Columbia. Also, is Quinn Epperly still injured?
Brown at Penn - Brown is a team that's not used to losing. Penn, for god's sake sort yourselves out.
Harvard at Dartmouth - Harvard's Conner Hempel threw for 25/31 against the Tigers, totaling a face-melting 382 yards. Harvard all the way.

Go Green
October 29th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Harvard's Conner Hempel threw for 25/31 against the Tigers, totaling a face-melting 382 yards.

WOW!

That's almost as good as Dalyn Williams' 388 yards against Yale!

TheDHC
October 30th, 2014, 02:40 AM
WOW!

That's almost as good as Dalyn Williams' 388 yards against Yale!

Yes, but were they 388 *face-melting* yards?

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Yes, but were they 388 *face-melting* yards?
xlolxxbowx

Well played!

Go Green
October 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM
It's over, people.

Jake, who knows more about Ivy football than anyone, is picking a Big Green victory on Saturday.

http://culions.blogspot.com/2014/10/week-10-picks.html

Good luck to Harvard in its fight for second place with Yale.

bulldog10jw
October 30th, 2014, 11:38 AM
It's over, people.

Jake, who knows more about Ivy football than anyone, is picking a Big Green victory on Saturday.

My guess is, if he had picked Harvard to win, you would have a different opinion about his knowledge of Ivy football.

Go Green
October 30th, 2014, 12:11 PM
My guess is, if he had picked Harvard to win, you would have a different opinion about his knowledge of Ivy football.

Jake has been a lot more bullish on Dartmouth than most folks in recent years. Some people still equate Dartmouth with 2000s futility, but Jake has consistently (and correctly) picked Dartmouth higher than the media preseason polls in this decade.

As I said before, I don't mind people picking Harvard to win. I think we're the best team in the league, but until we actually go out and prove it, I don't expect Dartmouth to get the props from the masses.

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2014, 04:32 PM
It's over, people.

http://culions.blogspot.com/2014/10/week-10-picks.html

Good luck to Harvard in its fight for second place with Yale.

Jake who? Is he the Mel Kiper of Eastern college football? And Dartmouth always manages to lose to Princeton, so...

I'm surprised Dartmouth is a nine-point home dog. I'm tempted to take the points, but I have my pride.

Go Green
October 30th, 2014, 05:18 PM
And Dartmouth always manages to lose to Princeton, so...

As I said, too many people still think that this is 2000s Dartmouth.

Nobody on the Princeton current roster has beaten Dartmouth, and it's going to be five in a row for the Green in a few weeks.

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2014, 08:22 PM
As I said, too many people still think that this is 2000s Dartmouth.

Nobody on the Princeton current roster has beaten Dartmouth, and it's going to be five in a row for the Green in a few weeks.

And nobody in a Dartmouth FB decade has beaten Harvard anywhere (2003). And nobody in a Dartmouth FB generation has beaten Harvard in Hanover (1993). I hope you and Jake enjoy yourselves on Saturday.

bulldog10jw
October 30th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I hope you and Jake enjoy yourselves on Saturday.

Really? :p

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Really? :p
xsmiley_wix

absolutely!

Go Green
October 30th, 2014, 08:57 PM
And nobody in a Dartmouth FB decade has beaten Harvard anywhere (2003). And nobody in a Dartmouth FB generation has beaten Harvard in Hanover (1993). I hope you and Jake enjoy yourselves on Saturday.

The only reason you won a title last year is because we did what you couldn't do--beat Princeton. You're welcome.

We will see whether Harvard returns the favor on Saturday!

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2014, 09:48 PM
The only reason you won a title last year is because we did what you couldn't do--beat Princeton. You're welcome.

We will see whether Harvard returns the favor on Saturday!

And Dartmouth last won or shared an Ivy title...in the last century. I rest my case. Let the game begin.

Go Green
October 31st, 2014, 07:21 AM
And Dartmouth last won or shared an Ivy title...in the last century. I rest my case. Let the game begin.

And we still have more Ivy football titles than you. And I rest my own case.

bulldog10jw
October 31st, 2014, 07:48 AM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2014, 08:57 AM
xslapfightx
And we still have more Ivy football titles than you. And I rest my own case.

And we're smarter than you. And you have uglier women.xnodx

Go Green
October 31st, 2014, 10:06 AM
xslapfightx

Won't dispute the brains.

But women? Come on. Dartmouth doesn't have to bus in hot babes the way the Harvard guys did in The Social Network. At least not since we went co-ed.

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2014, 10:52 AM
Won't dispute the brains.

But women? Come on. Dartmouth doesn't have to bus in hot babes the way the Harvard guys did in The Social Network. At least not since we went co-ed.

Give me a break. GG. Do you believe everything you see on film? The Dartmouth chicks that attended Harvard games back in my day (the mid-70s; Dartmouth went co-ed in the early 70s, IIRC) had faces that could stop a clock, with personalities and hygiene to match.:D

Go Green
October 31st, 2014, 10:54 AM
Do you believe everything you see on film? :D

Ok, I won't believe that Harvard babes looked like Ali MacGraw.

Sader87
October 31st, 2014, 11:26 AM
^^^^^^ Graduates of two of America's finest educational institutions ladies and gentlemen.......xrotatehx

Go Green
October 31st, 2014, 11:51 AM
Darn!

<<You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sader87 again.>>

But that was funny! :)

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2014, 12:33 PM

Fair enough. And I won't believe that Dartmouth babes looked like Jay Fiedler.:)

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2014, 12:34 PM
^^^^^^ Graduates of two of America's finest educational institutions ladies and gentlemen.......xrotatehx

Hey, gotta have a little one-percent smack once in awhile.:D

Gordon Shumway
October 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't normally do this, but I'm rooting for GG in this catfight. :D

I'm hoping Dartmouth wins the Ivy so they won't be so much of a drag on our SOS. 19958

Go Green
October 31st, 2014, 06:59 PM
I'm hoping Dartmouth wins the Ivy so they won't be so much of a drag on our SOS. 19958

Really a shame that we laid an egg against UNH. While UNH was always going to win the game, we should have been more competitive. Definitely a game a lot of Dartmouth folks would like to have back...

Oh well...

Crimson Dad Leopard Grad
October 31st, 2014, 11:36 PM
xslapfightx

Just spent the evening in Hanover, Ivytalk may be right. Either way, looking forward to a great game.

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2014, 04:46 AM
Just spent the evening in Hanover, Ivytalk may be right. Either way, looking forward to a great game.

Hanover? With that swinging hot spot, White River Junction just minutes away? :D

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2014, 06:46 AM
Hanover? With that swinging hot spot, White River Junction just minutes away? :D

Second prize: TWO weekends in Hanover.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 12:29 PM

I know we're getting serious when there is a citation to Love Story. Just remember that part of the movie (though not the iconic snow scenes at Soldiers Field) was filmed at Fordham, a Patriot League Associate Member..... ;)

UAalum72
November 1st, 2014, 12:44 PM
MacGraw's characters went to Radcliffe in both Love Story and Goodbye, Columbus. MacGraw herself went to Wellesley.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 01:18 PM
Both movies were great.

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2014, 03:45 PM
Yale 25 Columbia 7 - final

Trying to remember the last Yale game Tyler Varga played when he didn't lead the team in rushing yards.

Varga - 105 yards today
Candler Rich - 202 yards

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM
Harvard tops Dartmouth in Hanover, 23-12. Yale game in 3 weeks looks big.

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2014, 05:27 PM
Harvard looks unbeatable. 23-12 over Dartmouth. With Columbia and Penn they have two walkovers and it is highly unlikely that Yale, even at their best, could stop them. Only injuries can stop Harvard now.

bonarae
November 1st, 2014, 07:30 PM
With all due respect, final scores:

Yale 25, Columbia 7
Princeton 38, Cornell 27
Brown 21, Penn 13 - Furman-like year for the Quackers... Bagnoli is sent off a la Bob Ford's last year. xsmhx
Harvard 23, Dartmouth 12 - quite low-scoring...

Go Green
November 1st, 2014, 09:35 PM
Harvard 23, Dartmouth 12 - quite low-scoring...

When your star QB gets poked in the eye and has to leave the game.... you're only going to score 12 points against Harvard's defense.

:(

bulldog10jw
November 1st, 2014, 10:23 PM
When your star QB gets poked in the eye and has to leave the game.... you're only going to score 12 points against Harvard's defense.

Why the 3:30 start today? Just so you have a reason to use the lights?

Crimson Dad Leopard Grad
November 2nd, 2014, 12:54 AM

To that point in the 4th quarter, he had rushed 15 times for 38 yds, and passed 16-26 for 210 yds. and if the Harvard QB did not get hurt in the 2nd quarter after leading them to 3 TDs in the first 25 minutes, it would not have mattered.

How about acknowledging that Harvard's defense was too good in this game?

- - - Updated - - -

Why the 3:30 start today? Just so you have a reason to use the lights?

It was so that Go Green could not say the sun was in the eyes of the Dartmouth players.

Go Green
November 2nd, 2014, 05:40 AM
To that point in the 4th quarter, he had rushed 15 times for 38 yds, and passed 16-26 for 210 yds. and if the Harvard QB did not get hurt in the 2nd quarter after leading them to 3 TDs in the first 25 minutes, it would not have mattered.

How about acknowledging that Harvard's defense was too good in this game?

Because we came back from a similar deficit against Yale.

bulldog10jw
November 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
Brown 21, Penn 13 - Furman-like year for the Quackers... Bagnoli is sent off a la Bob Ford's last year. xsmhx

I'll try to work up some tears for Bags. Give me a few weeks. xrolleyesx

Ivytalk
November 2nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
I'll try to work up some tears for Bags. Give me a few weeks. xrolleyesx
xlolxxbowx

I hope he finishes 1-9.xcoffeex

The Boogie Down
November 4th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I know we're getting serious when there is a citation to Love Story. Just remember that part of the movie (though not the iconic snow scenes at Soldiers Field) was filmed at Fordham, a Patriot League Associate Member..... ;)

A few days late but here's a screenshot showing the Rose Hill Gymnasium to the left and Jack Coffey Field to the right. The wooden bleachers have since been replaced. The gym not so much. xoopsx