PDA

View Full Version : The Record Chase - MLB's Most Painful Record

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Craig Biggio is approaching a record. Last night, he was plunked (aka hit by pitch) on two occassions, bringing him within one of the modern record of 267 hit by pitches, held by Don Baylor, who of late has bounced around a big league manager. The all-time record is 287 by Hughie Jennings.

In honor of this, a fan from Boston has started a blog to honor Craig Biggio and his path to "glory". I thought I'd share this web site as I'm sure some of you will find humor as one of the greatest Astros in the history of the club approaches Baylor's record these next few days, weeks or months, however long it takes. It's a humorous viewpoint of what Biggio has done and who is going to help him do it.

http://plunkbiggio.blogspot.com/

Ivytalk
June 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Speaking of HBPs, whatever happened to the immortal Ron Hunt?? :confused:

ISUMatt
June 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Hit 243 times in 12 seasons. Currently ranks 5th all-time. In 1971 he was hit an amazing 50 times!!! Led the league 7 years in a row ('68-'74) in HBP. Was also a 2-time All-Star (1966, 1968). First Met to start in an All-Star game. Always the dirtiest uniform on the field from hustle. Ronald Kenneth Hunt's final game was September 28th, 1974!!!

ISUMatt
June 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Top 10 HBP career...

Hugh Jennings-287
Tom Ticker-272
Don Baylor-267
Craig Biggio-256
Ron Hunt-243
Dan McGann-230
Frank Robinson-198
Minnie Minoso-192
Jake Beckley-183
Andres Galarraga-178

eaglefan452
June 24th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Craig Biggio, now there is the definition of a ballplayer. The guy has been an all-star at 3 different positions, and has accepted it all with class. I am not sure if his numbers are truly Cooperstown material, but in my opinion, he deserves it.

ngineer
June 25th, 2005, 08:19 AM
HOwever, does he wear any of the in vogue hardware on his shoulder, elbow, arms, etc. Bonds looked like a lacrosse player up there with all his padding on his right arm. With the padding, these guys lean in, and crowd the plate. If Biggio, doesn't, then kudos to him for hangin' in there.