PDA

View Full Version : UNI vs. Western Kentucky Game Thread

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Have never started a thread so hope this is right!

Anyway.. WKU scores first with a field goal after a UNI fumble
3-0 WKU

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
TOUCHDOWN UNI!!

7-3 Panthers on a pass to Johnny Gray.

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Johnny Gray run...

Game is streaming free at CSTV.com
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/#00

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Knew it after I typed and sent it but it was already done. Sorry.

wkukid
November 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
keep the updates coming...

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Right now UNI is driving on us and is inside our 20 yard line. Our D is playing too aggressive and over-pursuing.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Pass interference WKU, 1st and goal panthers on the WKU 6 yard line.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Panthers settle for a 27yd FG.

10-3 Panthers!

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Field goal for UNI. They now lead 10-3. Our offense needs to kick it in drive. They've done zip so far.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Touchdown WKU

10 - 10 tie

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
TD pass from Haddix to Curtis Hamilton. 10-10.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm watching the web broadcast and the announcers are whinning a bit about some of the calls.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
That was a nice answer to UNI's drive. This one will probably go down to the last minute or so. Pretty evenly matched.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM
They should be, considering that was a fumble before the touchdown pass. Anyway... nice pass after that call. Should be a good second half.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM
UNI has 210 total yds at Half to 93 to WKU.....

but doesn't make a difference...game is tied....and WKU gets ball begining of second half.....

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM
From what I heard from the officials, they had blown the play dead due to forward progress. If the whistle has been blown, nothing after that matters. At least that's what the official said.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM
From what I heard from the officials, they had blew the play dead due to forward progress. If the whistle has been blown, nothing after that matters. At least that's what the official said.

agree....but I'm watching the game....and the guy hadn't even been tackled to the turf.....a play blown dead when only one guy making the tackle...is a quick whistle.....

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Our offense has been playing extremely well, even without Curtis Hamilton. Not sure whether we're playing poorly or UNI's defense has stepped it up. Probably a bit of both. It's a good thing Hamilton is playing tonight considering our other starting receiver, Jake Gaebler, is out for the remainder of the regular season. Wish we could get everyone healthy for a change but that's the game of football.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I'm watching the game also. No, he wasn't on the ground, but that doesn't matter. Forward progress calls are made all the time in college and pro football. Those are always judgement calls by the officials. Personally I don't like forward progress calls but they're part of the rules, primarily to prevent injuries.

FlyYtown
November 4th, 2006, 05:52 PM
INTERCEPTION Drokes to the 40 yard line..

I hate these radio guys!

Toppermaniac
Well hell. We had a first and 10 inside the UNI 20 and Haddix threw an interception in the end zone. Very, very poor pass.

89 Panther
Interception Dre Dokes to the WKU 39 yd line.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
OH BABY!!!! They are great aren't they!!

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
That int. will definitely come back to haunt us. We had a good 2nd half opening drive going and come away with nothing, including poor field position.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
UNI TD called back on holding.....FU@$

FlyYtown
November 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Wingert NO GOOD from 44 yards!

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I think wingert is hurt....he's not doing kickoffs.....

I can't believe this year........

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Missed the FG, still tied. Penalty killed the drive.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
He definitely doesn't look like himself. Hasn't for a couple of weeks. He didn't look real good last week either.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm certainly not trying to do any trash talking at all, but the UNI announcers are the biggest whinners I've ever heard. Quit crying about a holding call. Holding negates big plays all the time. The announcers jump on anything that goes against UNI. All announcers are a bit of a homer, but these guys are ridiculous. Enough already.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Watch it on the WKU feed.....

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM
UNI has alot more penalties than WKU.....

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Look, I know they're UNI announcers and aren't going to be 100% impartial, but these guys take it to a new level.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
TD WKU.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
UNI has alot more penalties than WKU.....

I don't think so. How many penalties have we had called on our O line? A damn bunch.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
They are no better or worse than any other announcers. I am sure your radio guys are no better to listen to if you are the visiting team.

17 -10 WKU

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I don't think so. How many penalties have we had called on our O line? A damn bunch.

8 for 87 for UNI
6 for 41 for WKU

WKU is playing better in the second half.....

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
They are no better or worse than any other announcers. I am sure your radio guys are no better to listen to if you are the visiting team.

17 -10 WKU

They didn't bother me a bit a last week, but the "oh baby" was limited a bit. :nono: Can't get the feed this week. Something about server being down.

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Not to cut into your guys' game thread but Herb had 39 for 328 and 6 TDs today. Defense forgot to show up like most games this year.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
They didn't bother me a bit a last week, but the "oh baby" was limited a bit. :nono: Can't get the feed this week. Something about server being down.

Try the all access on CSTV you can watch the game and hear our radio announcers. You are right about last week you guys out played us all day.

FlyYtown
November 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
These radio voices are worse than the WIU ones...... and we all know how bad they are!

Touchdown UNI

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Touchdown UNI "OH BABY"!!

17 - 17 tie.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
These radio voices are worse than the WIU ones...... and we all know how bad they are!

Touchdown UNI

You have no room to talk. In order to get to watch the game at the Ice Castle I had to watch it off of your atheletic web site and you had some of the worst homers I have ever listened too!!

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
This game just might kill me.

wkukid
November 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
ugh lets go tops

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Why is it that every WKU-UNI game always goes down to the wire and they're normally fairly low scoring even though the offenses are very good.

FlyYtown
November 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Moore is running all over UNI right..

And about our radio guys... I've never heard them that much into a YSU game together... EVER.

They were as pumped as anyone for that game, hence they were crazy..... believe it or not: they were not crazy today!

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Touchdown UNI

The radio guys are good. The ones that do the live streaming are kids they do suck.

FlyYtown
36 YARD KICK IS GOOD for WesternVKentucky.

7:52 Remaining
WKU- 20
UNI- 17

89 Panther
Field Goal WKU.

20-17 WKU.

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Time for some Sanders magic.

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
FLYtown its a gamethread, if you dont like the announcers, start another thread about it, keep it to game updates here :) :) :)

JK

FlyYtown
November 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Time for some Sanders magic.
I said that vs. WIU.... and WIU still WON...
lol: you all know who I am rooting for!!! :D :D :D :D

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Our offensive line is killing us with false start penalties. That last drive could have very well ended in a TD rather than a FG if the damn linemen would not keep moving.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM
TD UNI.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Touchdown UNI "OH BABY"

24-20 UNI

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Well, we have the drive for the season upcoming. That missed opportunity for a TD on the last drive may very well do us in.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
GO UNI !!!

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Loser suffers their 4th loss...who is gonna step up?!?!

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Another damn false start. What is that? # 7 or 8?

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM
That holding penalty negated another first down and may have done us in.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Yep. We had a first down around the 40 but the holding penalty brought it back. Then a sack at our 5. We're done unless UNI turns the ball over.

matfu
November 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
how much time left?

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Right at 2 minutes with UNI on the WKU 30.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Well, this one is over. I thought we had control of the game when we went up by 7, but UNI hung in there. Our o-line did us in with all the penalties. Congrats UNI.

November 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I guess that does it...

November 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
30 yd TD tun by Lewis for UNI

31-20 UNI 1:32 4Q

Killtoppers90
November 4th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Well at least we made UNI earn the win! Congrats Panthers!

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Our offensive line needs to get their asses kicked in practice this week.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 07:04 PM
What a game! They always seem to go that way vs. WKU. Good game on both sides.

89 Panther
November 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Our offensive line needs to get their asses kicked in practice this week.

Your O-line did shoot you in the foot. I am not sure how many false starts they had but it had to be at least 6 or 7 if not more. Good game though.

Killtoppers90
November 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I say taking a highly-ranked team to OT at their place is a respectable effort even though we blew it at the end. So much for the playoffs for us. Now we get to play SPOILER with the Ducks, er I meant, Penguins!

November 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
UNI douses WKU playoff hopes the second year in a row they said.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Your O-line did shoot you in the foot. I am not sure how many false starts they had but it had to be at least 6 or 7 if not more. Good game though.

Yea, all of the penalties hurt, but two stand out. The false start when we were inside the UNI 10 with about 7-8 minutes or so to go and we had to settle for a field goal rather than a TD. The worst was the holding penalty when we had converted a first down at the UNI 40 when we were down by 4. We had about 4 minutes to go at that point and we were moving the ball well. Oh well, that's part of the game and will get you beat.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I say taking a highly-ranked team to OT at their place is a respectable effort even though we blew it at the end. So much for the playoffs for us. Now we get to play SPOILER with the Ducks, er I meant, Penguins!

OT? What are you talking about?

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Dont worry, it will get easier in the Sun Belt

ysubigred
November 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Dont worry, it will get easier in the Sun Belt

LOL!!!:D The Sun Belt xsmileyclapx

If WKU was already there they would win that conference easy :eek:

I watched two Sun Belt games this year and had to be the worst football I've seen in a while :nonono2:

ysubigred
November 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
WKU playing spoiler next week is scary they have nothing to lose now and playing for pride :eek:

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Yea, all of the penalties hurt, but two stand out. The false start when we were inside the UNI 10 with about 7-8 minutes or so to go and we had to settle for a field goal rather than a TD. The worst was the holding penalty when we had converted a first down at the UNI 40 when we were down by 4. We had about 4 minutes to go at that point and we were moving the ball well. Oh well, that's part of the game and will get you beat.

Sorry about the error. We converted a first down at our 40 yard line, not UNI's 40.

Toppermaniac
November 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
WKU playing spoiler next week is scary they have nothing to lose now and playing for pride :eek:

Don't know. Since we have nothing to really play for, the effort might now be there. Who knows how the team will respond. I know they thought they were going to win today's game, so losing it could kill their desire.

GoGuins
November 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Don't know. Since we have nothing to really play for, the effort might now be there. Who knows how the team will respond. I know they thought they were going to win today's game, so losing it could kill their desire.

I think a 42-10 score last year might be some motivation for the Toppers

crunifan
November 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
That game was so frustrating to watch with all those penalties.

But, good job WKU, you had us scared for a little while. Good luck in the Sunbelt.

And whoever said Dome Magic is gone, take that. While there were only like 8,600 fans, it was LOUD.

birdsflyhigh
November 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Right down to the wire for WKU, but the penalties finally did the Hilltoppers in. Congrats to the UNI on the win! Think WKU could bounce back next week against YSU. If the Tops finish up at 7-4 with quality wins over SIU and YSU and competing in an EXTRA tough Gateway, then WKU may still be considered playoff worthy. :nod:

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
If the Tops finish up at 7-4 with quality wins over SIU and YSU and competing in an EXTRA tough Gateway, then WKU may still be considered playoff worthy. :nod:

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : 4 losses means OUT

birdsflyhigh
November 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Matt, if it comes down to 7-4 WKU, San Diego, Coastal Carolina or even a 7-4 Portland St. team, do you think the Tops would not even be worthy of a look against those teams? Could get pretty tricky for the playoff selection crew. :twocents:

Killtoppers90
November 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
OT? What are you talking about?
I had thought we took them to OT but I was looking at another score instead....BRAINFART! Sorry!

crunifan
November 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
What about if UNI loses one if it's upcoming games?

With wins over SDSU, Youngstown State, WKU, and either SIU/Illinois State (and our SUPER close loss to ISU) I think that would get us in over WKU.

Then again, the loss to North Dakota, no matter how close it was, could be the nail in the coffin.

AND

What happens if SIU losses to UNI, but then we lose to Illinois State?

That would leave only two teams in the Gateway above 8-3. It would be a HUGE shame if they didn't take the third place team just because we play such a tough conference (where we actually have to play every team, unlike the A-10)

birdsflyhigh
November 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
The Panthers definitely have their work cut out for them in the next couple of weeks. Next week SIU will in MUST WIN mode at home. The following week the Birds could (if things shake out just right) will traveling to the UNI-Dome with a chance at the Gateway crown.

The Gateway is STILL crazy!!!! :D

Mountain Panther
November 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Didn't see the game today, but it appears by the box score that we did a MUCH better job controlling the time of possession and converting on 3rd down. Bring on the Egyptian Dogz!

igo4uni
November 4th, 2006, 08:03 PM
What about if UNI loses one if it's upcoming games?

4 loss teams do not get into the playoffs.

igo4uni
November 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Just got back from the UNI-Dome. Good performance by offense and defense today. Held WKU to under 100 yds rushing and UNI had over 400 in total offense. If this team can beat SIU next week, it will be another showdown in the UNI-Dome for the Gateway championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

crunifan
November 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
The Panthers definitely have their work cut out for them in the next couple of weeks. Next week SIU will in MUST WIN mode at home. The following week the Birds could (if things shake out just right) will traveling to the UNI-Dome with a chance at the Gateway crown.

The Gateway is STILL crazy!!!! :D

If things shake out just right (as in a UNI win over SIU) BOTH teams will be fighting for the chance at the Gateway crown. With one of them (hint, not Illinois State) fighting for the auto-bid.

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
At Carbondale, Id say SIU will be an early favorite next Saturday

redbirdtim
November 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
crunifan,

If ISU, YSU, and UNI all win next week, there will be two teams entering the UNI dome fighting for the Gateway. It isn't a guarantee that YSU will win their game that week. If YSU were to lose in their next two games and ISU or UNI win out, that team would win the Gateway outright and the autobid.

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
crunifan,

If ISU, YSU, and UNI all win next week, there will be two teams entering the UNI dome fighting for the Gateway. It isn't a guarantee that YSU will win their game that week. If YSU were to lose in their next two games and ISU or UNI win out, that team would win the Gateway outright and the autobid.

YSU is DONE after next week, if they win next week, they share the GFC Crown!

igo4uni
November 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
YSU is DONE after next week, if they win next week, they share the GFC Crown!

But, would not get the Gateway auto-bid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 08:37 PM

No I never implied they would

skinny_uncle
November 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
........unless UNI loses in Carbondale next week.
I think the Gateway will get 3 bids this year. It will probably be YSU, Ill State and whoever wins the showdown between UNI and SIU next week.

crunifan
November 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Why does it always seem to come down to UNI and SIU?

I really think the two schools should get a trophy going or something. It's turning into a fun rivalry.

Killtoppers90
November 4th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Because they are always that good!

redbirdtim
November 4th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I'm a fan of the Bird-Dawg trophy for ISU-SIU.

crunifan
November 4th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Seriously, though. I think it would be a really cool idea.

I mean, UNI vs. SIU games in football and basketball are always super close. We have both been extremely good at both in the past few years.

Iowa vs. Illinois

Cats vs. Dogs

Northern vs. Southern

I think it would help the conference overall if we establish some big time rivalries. Plus, SIU is the closest thing to a real rivalry we have. As much as we like to think we are rivals with Iowa and Iowa State, they just don't view us the same (except in basketball)

galojay
November 5th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Good game, I guess this marks the end of the road for WKU.

galojay
November 5th, 2006, 12:48 AM

I wouldn't worry, if our playing for pride goes anything like it did last year, you'll win easy.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Toppers need a win this week. This season will be no different than any future season: No playoffs. 7-4 might get you into the New Orleans Bowl.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I really think the two schools should get a trophy going or something. It's turning into a fun rivalry.

How about a tractor on top of a pyramid? xlolx