PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's FCS "Tribute" scenario

Sycamore62
September 15th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Im sure none of you watched the ESPN College Gameday show at Fargo but they had a pretty cool segment about all the players that played at FCS and smaller schools. I know there was no FCS or Div 1AA at the time when some of the schools had great players like Jerry Rice and Walter Payton, and some have moved up since having these great players like Randy Moss but I got into a debate about if you played an All-Time game between the best from FCS and FBS taking the FCS players who played for schools that are now FCS (or lower like D2) or were at the time they played. Not taking into account depth, who would play and would they have much of a shot.

One of the toughest things to take into consideration would be a guy like Larry Allen or Kurt Warner who didnt make huge waves until playing in the NFL.

Just to stay unbiased, I won't include myself as a player in any of the discussion :D.

Go Green
September 15th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I have a somewhat similar debate with the Ivy's old fogies who insist that the Ivy went from nationally relevant to a complete afterthought overnight after the 1981 move to I-AA.

Every two years or so, I challenge them to list an all-star team of Ivy (i.e., post 1954 when the league was formally created) D-I players against Ivy D-AA/FCS players. I think the latter group is more impressive.

:)

BEAR
September 15th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I saw that... well made and the list could have gone on and on and on...

The FCS IS a place of great individual players!