PDA

View Full Version : The MVFC...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 08:41 PM
Should be a very good game in CF next Saturday.

False.

UNI's offense is still absolute garbage...

UNI's defense may keep the score respectable, but until the D/ST can score 21 or the offense plays the best game of the season NDSU wins.

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2014, 08:43 PM

We need to play waaaay better next weekend for it to be a good game. I thought we could win this one don't think we can do the same against NDSU.

At the very least the tailgating should be real fun!

Daved
November 1st, 2014, 08:52 PM
Should be a very good game in CF next Saturday.I expect a war next week--will be hard to keep UNI out of the playoffs should they pull the upset.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2014, 08:53 PM

You have GOT to come!

Houndawg
November 1st, 2014, 08:53 PM
We need to play waaaay better next weekend for it to be a good game. I thought we could win this one don't think we can do the same against NDSU.

At the very least the tailgating should be real fun!

DJ needs 30 carries. Didn't he break an 80 yarder last year?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2014, 08:55 PM
You have GOT to come!

Busy with work but I'm going to try and pull it off!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2014, 08:57 PM
Busy with work but I'm going to try and pull it off!

Good!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2014, 08:59 PM
False.

UNI's defense may keep the score respectable, but until the D/ST can score 21 or the offense plays the best game of the season NDSU wins.

Whats the rationale behind going with Carnes? Seems that he limits you more than gives an advantage.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2014, 08:59 PM
False.

UNI always plays the Bison tough and I'm sure Farley will have the team ready for this one. Klieman coming back to his alma mater as a head coach of the dreaded Bison.....

I didn't see the game but from what UNI fans have said the special teams and defense scored for the Panthers. Doesn't matter how they get scored but they did. Great to have plays come from all three phases of the game.

This will be a hard hitting game and I suspect a low scoring one. Bison need to play clean on offense, no turnovers.

UNI needs to get DJ the ball....a lot. Make the Bison shut him down.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2014, 09:00 PM
Whats the rationale behind going with Carnes? Seems that he limits you more than gives an advantage.

Isn't Carnes a really good runner?

UNI guys chime in.....

UNI Pike
November 1st, 2014, 09:21 PM
Original qb Sawyer Kollmorgan has been very consistent in overthrowing almost every pass, other than to the 6' 7" te. Carnes really not much better passer, but much more of a run threat than SK.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Bisonator
November 1st, 2014, 09:38 PM
Doesn't appear as though Carnes did much of anything in this game. Just 10-30 for 1 TD and 2 INT's plus he ran for -9 yards? Will he be starting next week against NDSU? I hope so. :D

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 09:39 PM
Isn't Carnes a really good runner?

UNI guys chime in.....

He's a good runner, for a QB.

Other than that I have no idea, but here's my theory

The UNI offense has been crap all season long. Not giving the ball to DJ, the OL not being able block a stationary rock, only calling pass plays that were 15-20+ yards down field early in the season. All of those put together lead to Sawyer not having great stats (7 games 93-182 51% 1,401 yards 11 TD 5 INT 130 efficiency 200 ypg). Well, the offensive staff at UNI has this strange obsession with running QBs, but not having an offense built on running QBs and decided that Sawyer was going to be the fall guy for it.

They put Carnes in. Well, Carnes can't throw the ball for jack ****ing **** but people like unigriff love him. People were hating on Sawyer for his stats this year - you want to see Brion's numbers? Ready for this ****? 7 games 46-102 45% 510 yards 3 TD 4 INT 89 efficiency 72.9 yards per game. Oh, but Brion does run for 30 yards per game, so he is at 102 yards of offense per ****ing game.

He had, AT LEAST, 6 passes tipped at the LOS tonight and 2 of them resulted in picks. Illinois State scored 14 points off of his 3 turnovers tonight.

Well, his running ability sounds nice, but remember when I said UNI doesn't have a system for a running QB? Well, the first designed run for him was in the 4th quarter tonight.

On the plus side, I would be we've completely lost Sawyer, mentally, for next season (his senior season) so there is that. I mean, who could blame a kid who set records as a freshman and looked like a sure 4 year starter who then was forced to split time with a FBS cast off (Brion) as a sophomore and no losing your job to him as a junior when he isn't even close to you statistically. I hope one of the underclassmen is ready to go next year. You can see it on Sawyer during games. He is the last one out of the tunnel anymore just walking out and doesn't look to be enjoying himself anymore.

I don't know. I guess the "offense looks better" with Brion on the field, doesn't matter if it actually is.

UNI's defense will keep UNI in the game, for a while, next week. This UNI defense is real good. The offense won't be able to sustain drives and the defense will get worn down by the machine that is the NDSU run game.

If UNI doesn't get it's offensive act together NDSU wins by 17+

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't appear as though Carnes did much of anything in this game. Just 10-30 for 1 TD and 2 INT's plus he ran for -9 yards? Will he be starting next week against NDSU? I hope so. :D

Carnes is a god damn garbage QB.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2014, 09:43 PM
Rennie part deux?

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 09:43 PM
Rennie part deux?

Rennie was better....much better

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 09:46 PM

Rennie's career stat line
24 games
238-413 (58%) 3345 yards 22 TD 15 INT
411 runs 2176 yards (5.3 yards per carry) 24 TD.

140 yards passing per game
91 yards rushing per game
2 TD per game (well, 1.91666666666666 but whatever)

Brion career stats
19 games
87-183 (47) 948 yards 5 TD 8 INT
95 runs 519 yards 5 TD

49 yards passing per game
27 yards running per game
.5 TD per game

Yes, Brion hasn't done a ton of passing/the guy but still a startling comparison

So...yeah

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2014, 09:46 PM

Rennie and the UNI defense put the hurt on NDSU in '10.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 1st, 2014, 09:48 PM
Huh, just temembered him as a runner.

Theee Catrabbit
November 1st, 2014, 09:51 PM
Is this really up to 127 pages?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2014, 09:54 PM

Why wouldn't it be?

There are a lot of Valley fans on here....xnodx

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 09:55 PM
Huh, just temembered him as a runner.

He wasn't a great passer but was never given plays that he could succeed with.

He was much better than UNI fans gave him credit for at that time - or even still

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2014, 10:30 PM

The only question is do we start a new thread next year or just keep this one going.

JayJ79
November 1st, 2014, 10:54 PM

they probably figure it is better to go with a running QB who can't pass rather than a non-running QB who can't pass or run.

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 10:56 PM
they probably figure it is better to go with a running QB who can't pass rather than a non-running QB who can't pass or run.

Yeah, **** the QB that completes over half his passes, throws for 200 yards per game, and has a TD:INT over 2:1

Let's roll with the guy that goes has a career completion % that rivals that of Tim Tebow in the NFL (there's a reason he isn't in the NFL anymore), throws more picks than touchdowns, isn't tall enough to avoid having multiple passes batted down at the LOS every game, etc...

JayJ79
November 1st, 2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah, **** the QB that completes over half his passes, throws for 200 yards per game, and has a TD:INT over 2:1

those numbers were also padded by the NoCo and TTU games (and the Iowa game were rookie Lbs had no clue how to defend against DJ's receiving)

looking at MVFC numbers:
Kollmorgen completed 49% of his passes, threw for 132 yards per game, and had a TD:INT ratio of 2:3. and he has 0.5 wins and 1.5 losses.

Carnes completed 45% of his passes, threw for 125 yards per game, and had a TD:INT ratio of 3:3. with 2.5 wins and 0.5 losses.

both QBs have terrible numbers, so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a third option.

clenz
November 1st, 2014, 11:37 PM
Yep...Iowa game doesn't count.

Sawyer played 4 quarters, total, in those other 2 OOC games.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for Carnes to go 10-30 against next week and have people still riding his jock all over town.

JayJ79
November 2nd, 2014, 12:05 AM
in MVFC games this season and last, UNI is 1-7 in games that Kollmorgen has started, and 5-0 in games that Carnes has started. If UNI can get a W next week with Brion going 10-30, then I'm all for it. (though I'm not going anywhere near either of their jocks)

unigriff
November 2nd, 2014, 01:27 AM
Carnes will have to be at least 50% completion for UNI to win, unless DJ somehow goes crazy. The O-line is the key next week more than Carnes.

unigriff
November 2nd, 2014, 01:38 AM
Before new rankings come out.

11/8
#1 NDSU @ #23 UNI
#9 YSU @ #5 ISUr
#17 SDSU @ #14 ISUb
#25 SIU @ #31 MSU
WIU @ USD

Man what a week. UNI could potentially move up to 3rd depending on ISUr and ISUb

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2014, 01:43 AM
Carnes will have to be at least 50% completion for UNI to win, unless DJ somehow goes crazy. The O-line is the key next week more than Carnes.

Carnes cannot beat NDSU....Kollmorgen could. A team like UNI without a passing threat is in BIG trouble against the Bison D.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2014, 05:47 AM
Carnes cannot beat NDSU....Kollmorgen could. A team like UNI without a passing threat is in BIG trouble against the Bison D.

This here.

If the Bison stuff DJ and the running game, Kollmorgen will be in IMO.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
in MVFC games this season and last, UNI is 1-7 in games that Kollmorgen has started, and 5-0 in games that Carnes has started. If UNI can get a W next week with Brion going 10-30, then I'm all for it. (though I'm not going anywhere near either of their jocks)
Carnrs has started against

'13
YSU - a team that lost 3 in a row to end the year
WIU - finished 4-8 and only conference wins against USD and ISUb
MSU - finished 5-7
'14
WIU - currently 3-6 with 2 songs against Pioneer teams who combine to have 0 D1 wins OOC and multiple sub d1 losses
ISUr - went 10-30, the d/st scored as many points as the offense (offensive points only and uni loses)

Brion will start next week and our offense will score, maybe, 10 points. That's if DJs back can handle that type of load against the ndsu defense

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

penguinpower
November 2nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
I think UNI has a shot. They look as if they were built to beat NDSU. Not saying it will happen, but UNI is tough at the dome.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2014, 08:22 AM
I think UNI has a shot. They look as if they were built to beat NDSU. Not saying it will happen, but UNI is tough at the dome.

Built to beat NDSU? Maybe if they had a QB...

IBleedYellow
November 2nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
UNI WILL stand up for NDSU. Being the top team in the country you get everyone's best game every week. I expect to see a four quarter game no matter what you UNI guys say.

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 09:04 AM
Well, there will be 4 quarters played but only about 2 of them competitive

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2014, 09:06 AM
Well, there will be 4 quarters played but only about 2 of them competitive

Look at all the other "stuff". Coach K coming back to coach against his old team.

UNI will be ready to go and I expect this to be a really physically game.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Look at all the other "stuff". Coach K coming back to coach against his old team.

UNI will be ready to go and I expect this to be a really physically game.
Doesn't mean it will be close.

UNI doesn't have an ol, has an oc that has started giving dj the ball and improved in play calling but still isn't good, a starting qb that wouldn't start at any other mvfc school...

UNIs only hope is that the national title caliber defense and all American running back/kick returner do enough.

Seriously, it's scary to think how many yards DJ would have in his career if he was returning nicks the entire time. He's averaging 41.5 yards per return with a td since the USD game. Even without the td return its over 31 ypr

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Doesn't mean it will be close.

UNI doesn't have an ol, has an oc that has started giving dj the ball and improved in play calling but still isn't good, a starting qb that wouldn't start at any other mvfc school...

UNIs only hope is that the national title caliber defense and all American running back/kick returner do enough.

Seriously, it's scary to think how many yards DJ would have in his career if he was returning nicks the entire time. He's averaging 41.5 yards per return with a td since the USD game. Even without the td return its over 31 ypr

DJ is a special talent for sure. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted.

Gil Dobie
November 2nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
QB will not matter as much as David Johnson. He is the type of player that could keep the Bison offense off the field and wear out the defense. His combination of speed and power reminds me if Taiwan Jones of EWU, only he's bigger and stronger. 203 receiving yards against Iowa is impressive.

Houndawg
November 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
QB will not matter as much as David Johnson. He is the type of player that could keep the Bison offense off the field and wear out the defense. His combination of speed and power reminds me if Taiwan Jones of EWU, only he's bigger and stronger. 203 receiving yards against Iowa is impressive.

He needs 40 touches this week to give UNI a chance. Cats also need to score first and have their best game of the year on d.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
At this point, the Bison need to be really thinking hard about how they're going to have a mistake free game on offense. No picks, no fumbles. Tim P needs to think TD all the way. FGs might not make it.

On Defense, play these guys like Georgia Southern with Jerrick Mckinnon. Assignment and gap sound and I think it will go ok.

IBleedYellow
November 2nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
UNI always steps up for this game. Your fans players and coaches believe you are the rightful kings of the Valley, and they will play hard to show the nation this.

It's going to be a good game, it's a rivalry game built upon mutual disliking of each other.

Both teams will come to play and I'm worried since they want to prove last year was a fluke.

JayJ79
November 2nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
just wait until the Bison see the secret trick play that UNI has up their sleeves where DJ takes the wildcat snap, throws the ball, then he runs the wheel route, catches his own pass, and takes it to the house. (then just for fun, he kicks the XP)

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
UNI always steps up for this game. Your fans players and coaches believe you are the rightful kings of the Valley, and they will play hard to show the nation this.

It's going to be a good game, it's a rivalry game built upon mutual disliking of each other.

Both teams will come to play and I'm worried since they want to prove last year was a fluke.

I think NDSU will want to prove that last year was a fluke. Could go both ways.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
just wait until the Bison see the secret trick play that UNI has up their sleeves where DJ takes the wildcat snap, throws the ball, then he runs the wheel route, catches his own pass, and takes it to the house. (then just for fun, he kicks the XP)

1. DJ could actually do that

2. He would throw a much better ball than carnes

3. I wouldn't be shocked if he could mail a 50 yard fg

4. Can that actually be our offense?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2014, 10:02 AM

He could do it!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
At this point, the Bison need to be really thinking hard about how they're going to have a mistake free game on offense. No picks, no fumbles. Tim P needs to think TD all the way. FGs might not make it.

On Defense, play these guys like Georgia Southern with Jerrick Mckinnon. Assignment and gap sound and I think it will go ok.

This here.

If UNI cannot sustain any type of passing game, just to keep the Bison defense "honest", I do not think UNI can win by just running the ball. But DJ is a freak and if he gets in the open then the Bison could be in for trouble.

The Bison offense needs to sustain drives and score TDs to keep DJ on the sideline.

This will be a good one.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
This here.

If UNI cannot sustain any type of passing game, just to keep the Bison defense "honest", I do not think UNI can win by just running the ball. But DJ is a freak and if he gets in the open then the Bison could be in for trouble.

The Bison offense needs to sustain drives and score TDs to keep DJ on the sideline.

This will be a good one.

David Johnson rushed for 142 yards in the last game, 85 on them on one play. Limit that and you limit him.

Gil Dobie
November 2nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
He could do it!

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Waterboy-You-Can-Do-It.gif

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
Original qb Sawyer Kollmorgan has been very consistent in overthrowing almost every pass, other than to the 6' 7" te. Carnes really not much better passer, but much more of a run threat than SK.

Carnes throws too high and too hard. A lot of INTs off of tips.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2014, 11:02 AM

OM NOM NOM NOM

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/mvc/7761E5F1-BD58-4FEC-97C4-0C567C42197E/120L.jpg

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Too high?

Did you see the number of tips at the los yesterday?

UNI Pike
November 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
No doubt. Carnes throwing motion is more like a short stop throwing out someone at first base than Peyton Manning's.

However, Carnes starts two games, UNI wins two games. Coincidence? Maybe. But a good one.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 11:56 AM
However, Carnes starts two games, UNI wins two games. Coincidence? Maybe. But a good one.

DJ finally getting used in those 2 games and uni wins.

Coincidence? Hell no

UNI Pike
November 2nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Addition by subtraction?

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Too high?

He throws over the WRs heads which makes perfect sense given the low trajectory at the LOS.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 03:12 PM
He throws over the WRs heads which makes perfect sense given the low trajectory at the LOS.
Gotcha. I thought you meant he was putting too much air on the ball

centennial
November 2nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Here are Sagarin Number for this week-
13 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 62.76 63.02 ( 13) TEAMS= 10 62.89 ( 13)
College Football 2014 through games of November 1 Saturday
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | GOLDEN_MEAN | PREDICTOR | ELO_SCORE
HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 3.17] [ 3.15] [ 3.26] [ 3.13]
28 North Dakota State AA = 79.93 9 0 54.77( 142) 0 0 | 0 0 | 78.82 31 | 76.48 38 | 83.39 22
62 Illinois State AA = 69.94 7 1 54.65( 143) 0 0 | 0 0 | 70.56 57 | 68.83 71 | 69.84 66
77 Northern Iowa AA = 67.22 5 4 58.06( 129) 0 0 | 0 0 | 69.11 71 | 68.21 74 | 64.49 90
87 South Dakota State AA = 65.01 5 4 65.16( 82) 0 0 | 0 2 | 65.29 87 | 63.04 95 | 66.51 80
98 Indiana State AA = 62.53 6 3 63.44( 93) 0 0 | 0 1 | 62.89 100 | 63.03 96 | 62.60 99
106 Southern Illinois AA = 61.48 5 4 59.15( 120) 0 0 | 0 1 | 62.83 101 | 59.94 115 | 61.59 107
110 Youngstown State AA = 61.11 7 2 51.76( 161) 0 0 | 0 0 | 59.90 118 | 59.52 117 | 64.96 89
115 Missouri State AA = 60.04 4 5 60.26( 113) 0 0 | 0 0 | 61.14 110 | 61.00 106 | 59.05 118
145 Western Illinois AA = 53.90 3 6 64.57( 86) 0 0 | 0 2 | 54.78 145 | 54.20 147 | 54.33 145
171 South Dakota AA = 49.03 2 7 65.69( 76) 0 1 | 0 2 | 50.49 167 | 48.33 170 | 49.87 171

centennial
November 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Massey

Overall (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Home (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Away (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Conference (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Rank
Team
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA

N Dakota St (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5545&s=262657)

9-01.000

5-01.000

4-01.000

5-01.000

Illinois St (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3449&s=262657)

7-10.875

5-01.000

2-10.667

4-10.800

Indiana St (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3509&s=262657)

6-30.667

4-10.800

2-20.500

3-20.600

Northern Iowa (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5641&s=262657)

5-40.556

3-10.750

2-30.400

3-20.600

Youngstown St (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=262657)

7-20.778

5-10.833

2-10.667

4-10.800

S Dakota St (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7268&s=262657)

5-40.556

3-10.750

2-30.400

2-30.400

S Illinois (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7339&s=262657)

5-40.556

4-10.800

1-30.250

2-30.400

Missouri St (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4970&s=262657)

4-50.444

2-10.667

2-40.333

1-40.200

W Illinois (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8754&s=262657)

3-60.333

2-30.400

1-30.250

1-40.200

South Dakota (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=262657)

2-70.222

2-20.500

0-50.000

0-50.000

centennial
November 2nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Also posting CAA numbers as the 2nd best according to computers.
20 COLONIAL (AA)= 50.27 50.24 ( 21) TEAMS= 12 50.24 ( 21)
College Football 2014 through games of November 1 Saturday
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | GOLDEN_MEAN | PREDICTOR | ELO_SCORE
HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 3.17] [ 3.15] [ 3.26] [ 3.13]
73 New Hampshire AA = 68.61 7 1 50.77( 172) 0 0 | 0 0 | 69.54 67 | 64.32 88 | 70.51 62
82 Villanova AA = 65.48 7 2 50.83( 171) 0 0 | 0 0 | 65.00 88 | 65.43 83 | 66.76 78
94 Richmond AA = 62.81 7 2 49.67( 181) 0 0 | 0 0 | 62.70 103 | 60.38 111 | 65.43 87
141 William & Mary AA = 54.73 5 4 52.19( 159) 0 0 | 0 0 | 55.70 140 | 53.20 151 | 56.12 133
144 James Madison AA = 53.94 6 3 49.95( 179) 0 0 | 0 0 | 54.49 149 | 52.17 155 | 56.15 132
157 Stony Brook AA = 51.50 4 5 49.31( 182) 0 0 | 0 0 | 54.73 146 | 50.97 159 | 49.33 172
166 Albany-NY AA = 49.95 6 3 43.44( 211) 0 0 | 0 0 | 49.66 173 | 51.18 158 | 51.82 159
185 Maine AA = 44.94 3 5 50.43( 176) 0 0 | 0 0 | 46.35 187 | 43.08 192 | 47.02 181
186 Delaware AA = 44.92 5 4 42.53( 216) 0 0 | 0 0 | 45.75 190 | 42.57 195 | 48.03 175
209 Towson AA = 39.84 4 5 42.42( 217) 0 0 | 0 1 | 40.66 211 | 38.16 213 | 43.11 204
221 Elon AA = 36.13 1 8 54.27( 146) 0 0 | 0 0 | 37.81 220 | 37.20 217 | 36.94 221
233 Rhode Island AA = 29.96 0 9 53.76( 149) 0 0 | 0 0 | 33.36 229 | 31.92 229 | 27.58 241

UNI Pike
November 2nd, 2014, 03:53 PM

Let's roll with the guy that goes has a career completion % that rivals that of Tim Tebow in the NFL (there's a reason he isn't in the NFL anymore), throws more picks than touchdowns, isn't tall enough to avoid having multiple passes batted down at the LOS every game, etc...

You are setting up a strawman argument here. No one here is predicting that Brion Carnes is going to the NFL as a QB. The question is for the UNI coaching staff, who gives you a better chance of winning on a given day. You have to pick from two flawed choices (making an assumption that the third string QB is third string for a reason). You yourself stated that SK seems to be mentally checked out at this point, for what ever reason(s).

The offensive staff has a good part of the blame in this. Asking Brion Carnes to pass 30+ times a game is just not wise. Same for asking Kollmorgen to run 10+ times a game, or throwing the ball downfield, 30+ yards 20 times a game. Yet the play calling reflects these choices. Knowing how to us the tools you have been given is half the battle.

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 04:51 PM
The play calling reflects the wheel from thw board game Life with 6-7 spots covered with inside zone and the others covered with deep pass.

unigriff
November 2nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
Clenz. Come on man.

I never once said I love carnes. He sucks at throwing. He just needed the reps which he was never given. But as a coach, which im actually quite good at, it was a change that should have been made long ago. Farelys fault kn that. Especially with the personnel UNI has. They are fast. It's not a passing offense. Never should have been. Our WRs are weapons when the defense doesnt expect a passing play. UNI is known for running the ball. We all know salmon dropped the ball on getting dj involved until it was seemingly too late but still. Go cry a river dude. Get over yourself.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 08:25 PM
Clenz. Come on man.

I never once said I love carnes. He sucks at throwing. He just needed the reps which he was never given. But as a coach, which im actually quite good at, it was a change that should have been made long ago. Farelys fault kn that. Especially with the personnel UNI has. They are fast. It's not a passing offense. Never should have been. Our WRs are weapons when the defense doesnt expect a passing play. UNI is known for running the ball. We all know salmon dropped the ball on getting dj involved until it was seemingly too late but still. Go cry a river dude. Get over yourself.Get over myself, as you brag about you being "quite good at" coaching? Seriously? Am I the only one that sees the irony in that? Congrats on coaching intramurals or junior high/JV football? Do you wear a school color wig when you do that too? I had a 63-4 record in 3 years coaching baseball with 3 straight conference titles and an average score of 13-.7 (yeah, I said .7). Does it matter that it was 7th and 8th graders? Does that mean I should have gotten consideration for the Twins job? Hell no. Does that make me qualified to look at a baseball game and see what's going on/judge it than anyone else? Nope.

Have you actually ever played organized/school sponsored football? I mean, we can play stupid cards like that all night if you really want.

UNI's offense has never been a ****ing passing offense. The offense under Sanders (who holds the career passing completion % in the FCS)
had a run: pass of something like 2.5:1. Pat Grace was roughly 2.3:1. Rennie was something like 2.8:1. Sawyer's freshman year (you know, the year that he finished second in the Jerry Rice award, named MVFC newcomer and freshman of the year, named CSPA Freshman of the year, named a All American, finished second in the conference in total yards per game, threw for 2500 yards and 21 TDs, had the best passing efficiency in the league, and set a couple freshman conference records) UNI had a r: p that's nearly identical to this year. The amazing thing about your comment is that both of those years (and last year included) has UNI at 1.2ish:1. So, clearly UNI is a passing offense at this point, and we want to play a QB that can't pass.

Let me repeat that, this is an offense that has thrown the ball 288 times and run 349 (1.2:1) and we are playing a QB with a completion % of 45.1. Meanwhile, we have a QB on the bench whose career numbers read like this - 58.4% 5,680 yards and a TD:INT of nearly 3:1 at 48 TD 18 INT 7.6 YPA 13.1 YPC.

Maybe if we were running at a 2:1 ratio again I could "buy" it. Hell, even last game when getting the run game going was a clear focus UNI had 36 runs (not including sacks) and 30 pass attempts (dropped back 32 but had 2 sacks). Again, a 1.2:1 ration.

The game before? 44 runs (not counting sacks) and 35 passes (39 drop backs) - a 1.1:1 ratio.

Maybe I'd guy it if Carnes was running. Including sacks into his "attempts" total he is at 7.2 rushes per game.

Maybe I'd buy it if the first designed run for Carnes, yesterday, happened before the mid point of the 4th quarter.

I get it's a "straw man" argument. If your comfortable hitching the horse to Carnes, then so be it. However, don't tell me to "get over myself" when I'm not excited about trying to save a sinking cruise liner with a tug boat who can't even throw the rope to the ship accurately or it getting batted down by a fish that happens to be swimming near the surface.

Seriously, what other team in the nation benches a QB throwing for 200 yards per game with a 2.3:1 TD:INT ratio (double digit TDs, BTW) who was preseason all conference and has been an All American for a guy who has a career completion percent of Tim Tebow?

If you think Sawyer doesn't win those last two games with DJ doing DJ and the defense doing what they've done you can't be helped.

Can't wait for NDSU to eat Brion alive

JSUBison
November 2nd, 2014, 08:30 PM
Hopefully something happens during the post game handshake again, like what happened last year between Farley/Bohl. People were replaying that clip and breaking it down like the zapruder film to see what Farley said to Bohl. It's kind of like WWE, the storylines seem to overshadow the main event sometimes.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 08:32 PM
As I said, before for next season...even this season actually...we better hope Sawyer is one of the mentally toughest QBs to ever play at UNI and/or hope that rFr Reggie Schulte or rSo Justin Black are ready to freaking go. Schulte has never seen the field and Black did for one play - a fake punt that he completed for 19 yards...same play that starting TE Sam Rohr tore his ACL on against McNeese State last season.

If those two are game ready and haven't gotten a shot either then that's an issue. I'll take the fact they haven't seen the field as a clue they aren't ready/good enough.

If Schulte/Black aren't ready and Sawyer has mentally checked out (and at this point, who could honestly blame him?) then the coaches deserve whatever ****storm may happen with Carnes on the field this year, and who the hell knows next year

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 09:15 PM
Clenz. Come on man.

I never once said I love carnes. He sucks at throwing. He just needed the reps which he was never given. But as a coach, which im actually quite good at, it was a change that should have been made long ago. Farelys fault kn that. Especially with the personnel UNI has. They are fast. It's not a passing offense. Never should have been. Our WRs are weapons when the defense doesnt expect a passing play. UNI is known for running the ball. We all know salmon dropped the ball on getting dj involved until it was seemingly too late but still. Go cry a river dude. Get over yourself.

You are not a good coach. STFU. Lol.

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Sawyer got worse as a result of one of two things: concussions or poor coaching. I don't need to tell you which way I lean.

It sucks to continually watch our program make such poor decisions. We may have won this weekend, but it was because the defense and special teams put on a show. The offense and OCs were getting booed for the terrible decisions we were making.

I love that our resident expert Coach Griff knows we aren't a passing offense, but didn't let our coaches know. It was awesome to watch us throw 3 fades in a row and then punt.

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2014, 09:26 PM
Get over myself, as you brag about you being "quite good at" coaching? Seriously? Am I the only one that sees the irony in that? Congrats on coaching intramurals or junior high/JV football? Do you wear a school color wig when you do that too? I had a 63-4 record in 3 years coaching baseball with 3 straight conference titles and an average score of 13-.7 (yeah, I said .7). Does it matter that it was 7th and 8th graders? Does that mean I should have gotten consideration for the Twins job? Hell no. Does that make me qualified to look at a baseball game and see what's going on/judge it than anyone else? Nope.

Have you actually ever played organized/school sponsored football? I mean, we can play stupid cards like that all night if you really want.

UNI's offense has never been a ****ing passing offense. The offense under Sanders (who holds the career passing completion % in the FCS)
had a run: pass of something like 2.5:1. Pat Grace was roughly 2.3:1. Rennie was something like 2.8:1. Sawyer's freshman year (you know, the year that he finished second in the Jerry Rice award, named MVFC newcomer and freshman of the year, named CSPA Freshman of the year, named a All American, finished second in the conference in total yards per game, threw for 2500 yards and 21 TDs, had the best passing efficiency in the league, and set a couple freshman conference records) UNI had a r: p that's nearly identical to this year. The amazing thing about your comment is that both of those years (and last year included) has UNI at 1.2ish:1. So, clearly UNI is a passing offense at this point, and we want to play a QB that can't pass.

Let me repeat that, this is an offense that has thrown the ball 288 times and run 349 (1.2:1) and we are playing a QB with a completion % of 45.1. Meanwhile, we have a QB on the bench whose career numbers read like this - 58.4% 5,680 yards and a TD:INT of nearly 3:1 at 48 TD 18 INT 7.6 YPA 13.1 YPC.

Maybe if we were running at a 2:1 ratio again I could "buy" it. Hell, even last game when getting the run game going was a clear focus UNI had 36 runs (not including sacks) and 30 pass attempts (dropped back 32 but had 2 sacks). Again, a 1.2:1 ration.

The game before? 44 runs (not counting sacks) and 35 passes (39 drop backs) - a 1.1:1 ratio.

Maybe I'd guy it if Carnes was running. Including sacks into his "attempts" total he is at 7.2 rushes per game.

Maybe I'd buy it if the first designed run for Carnes, yesterday, happened before the mid point of the 4th quarter.

I get it's a "straw man" argument. If your comfortable hitching the horse to Carnes, then so be it. However, don't tell me to "get over myself" when I'm not excited about trying to save a sinking cruise liner with a tug boat who can't even throw the rope to the ship accurately or it getting batted down by a fish that happens to be swimming near the surface.

Seriously, what other team in the nation benches a QB throwing for 200 yards per game with a 2.3:1 TD:INT ratio (double digit TDs, BTW) who was preseason all conference and has been an All American for a guy who has a career completion percent of Tim Tebow?

If you think Sawyer doesn't win those last two games with DJ doing DJ and the defense doing what they've done you can't be helped.

Can't wait for NDSU to eat Brion alive

http://www.gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Ready-543f3be3726f7.gif

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
Sawyer got worse as a result of one of two things: concussions or poor coaching. I don't need to tell you which way I lean.

It sucks to continually watch our program make such poor decisions. We may have won this weekend, but it was because the defense and special teams put on a show. The offense and OCs were getting booed for the terrible decisions we were making.

I love that our resident expert Coach Griff knows we aren't a passing offense, but didn't let our coaches know. It was awesome to watch us throw 3 fades in a row and then punt.

Or see him continually ignore stats proving that we are a passing offense.

Just because the team beat Illinois State and Western Illinois doesn't change what I thought of them 2 weeks ago.

Illinois State isn't nearly as good as their record. They have an FCS OOC that makse UNI's FCS OOC look tough.

It truly is completely demoralizing to look at UNI this year and see a 1 score loss to a bowl eligible B10 team, a 3 point loss to a Mountain West team, a trick play 1 point loss to a good Indiana State team, and a 1 score loss to SDSU. If there was any semblance of an offense in Cedar Falls this would be a 1 loss team (Iowa).

Again, what other coaching staff in the nation would take a guy with the resume of Sawyer and bench him for a guy like Brion?

You are dead right with Sawyer - it's either coaching or concussions and it's been a year since his last concussion....so...

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 09:31 PM
The good news is that I have stopped having expectations and laugh almost every time something good happens. :)

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
My prediction last week is that we would beat the Redbirds and Bison and then lose out, mainly because that would make no sense.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 09:34 PM
The good news is that I have stopped having expectations and laugh almost every time something good happens. :)

It's all we can do at this point. The defensive side of the ball really does deserve better. Then again, so do the players on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm getting sick of being in the shot gun 98% of the time. I hope out next OC understands what league we play in, where our recruiting base is, the type of player in that that base, and how to line up in the i formation and beat the hell out of someone

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 09:41 PM
We ran the I formation 4-5 times. I think 3 were passes.

Is our inside zone not a read, does Carnes not know how to read it, or is he too scared to keep it? That really hurts our run game because he hands it off a lot when the read crashes.

clenz
November 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
We ran the I formation 4-5 times. I think 3 were passes.

Is our inside zone not a read, does Carnes not know how to read it, or is he too scared to keep it? That really hurts our run game because he hands it off a lot when the read crashes.

That's the point I don't get. Our zone reads, going back to Sanders, have never actually been reads. They have always been designed hand offs with the only time a QB keeps it is by design - Rennie may have been the one exception to that. Sawyer ran the "zone read" almost every play.

As I said, I can buy into using Carnes to open the run game up if he was used for running. If any team is taking attention away from DJ to stop him in the running game their DC is worse than our OC. However, that's not what's happening, so we are intentionally cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Our OL averages over 300lbs, we have a 6'1 230 lb running back, multiple guys capable of being a serviceable FB. There's no reason to not be in some i-formation more than 4 times per game.

- - - Updated - - -

also, clear your inbox, Rob

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2014, 10:28 PM
Agreed. I think he might be a decent weapon if he kept it sometimes. The Redbirds swarmed DJ all day because Carnes only kept it once and that was in the 4th qtr. Not sure if he has kept it previously this season.

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
I feel like I should say this but at the same time I shouldn't

I have not given up, and will not give up, on this UNI team or the UNI program. I will always wear purple on Saturdays (and pretty much every day of the week). I will always cheer for UNI to win. I feel like people think that just because I think the offensive game plan is terrible (if there even is one) doesn't mean I hate the team/want them to lose. The fact I didn't take the 6-7 hours (2 hours driving, 3.5 hours for the game, probably 30 minutes of fighting traffic to get out of the lots, about 30-40 minutes to get something to eat) out of my day to go to the game Saturday, though I could have, and spent it having a great evening with my family doesn't mean I don't support the program anymore - citdog got on my case about that one Saturday night and I'm sure I'll hear about it again today when we tape The Wedge. Questioning things doesn't make me a bad fan. It doesn't make me less of a fan. It makes me the same fan I've always been - the type of fan that even though I got in for free as a student decided to donate to the Gold Level of the Panther Scholarship club and buy season tickets. It means I care about the program enough to not just blindly accept mediocrity and say "Well, at least they are trying". I've always been critical of things the athletic/marketing department has done, though I've always given credit when it's deserved as well. That is an attitude that has not ingrained me as a "favorite" of the athletic department or UNI fans like jayj79 or unigriff. I'm okay with that. I don't think I'm a better/bigger fan than them. I won't apologize for what I say and if someone thinks I'm reflective of the UNI fan base/wants to judge UNI off of me then that's their fault. I want the best for the program.

If you think I want NDSU to win, Carnes to go 2-40 with 10 picks, etc... this weekend to "justify" my feelings then you're a moran.
If you think I won't be head to go in purple (other than pants) like I am every Saturday in the college football season then you are a complete moran.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Too high?

Did you also notice those tips were on quick hitter routes where our linemen weren't cut blocking to get the defensive linemen hands down?

The interception by the d lineman was a slant. 3 step and there should have been a cut block, but there wasn't.

Both quarterbacks are severely flawed. Kollmorgen is only completing about 50% and Brion is at about 45%. That is terrible. This goes back to game plan and our line not being real good. Sawyer was consistently under pressure, and without the ability to run its not going to end well. I think with the deficiencies on our line having Brion in there is currently the best option. Both QBs are flawed and have played terribly, but personally I feel more comfortable with Brion in there right now due to his ability to run the football.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
If you think I won't be head to go in purple (other than pants) like I am every Saturday in the college football season then you are a complete moran.

better not be black pants. cuz those aren't a school color and all. xrolleyesx

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Did you also notice those tips were on quick hitter routes where our linemen weren't cut blocking to get the defensive linemen hands down?

The interception by the d lineman was a slant. 3 step and there should have been a cut block, but there wasn't.

Both quarterbacks are severely flawed. Kollmorgen is only completing about 50% and Brion is at about 45%. That is terrible. This goes back to game plan and our line not being real good. Sawyer was consistently under pressure, and without the ability to run its not going to end well. I think with the deficiencies on our line having Brion in there is currently the best option. Both QBs are flawed and have played terribly, but personally I feel more comfortable with Brion in there right now due to his ability to run the football.
People keep saying this yet it's not being used. It's why I keep saying I'd rather have a QB that completes 51% than 45%. Teams have no reason to respect the pass right now, which makes DJ's numbers even more impressive

If he is out there for running ability then let's freaking use it.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
People keep saying this yet it's not being used. It's why I keep saying I'd rather have a QB that completes 51% than 45%. Teams have no reason to respect the pass right now, which makes DJ's numbers even more impressive

If he is out there for running ability then let's freaking use it.

There isn't much difference between 45 and 51. And there were multiple times where he made plays with his feet to keep a play alive and completed a pass something Sawyer would not have done. I do agree that he does need to run the ball more though. There were times where it looked like a "read option", but clearly was not as if he had kept the ball it would have been a much bigger gain than DJ got. Why not actually use true read option when he is in the game?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111142124/3898460-8864152835-

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
We should take a knee 3 times and punt. See what the defense can do for us. At least they would have no turnovers and plenty of field to work with. :)

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
There isn't much difference between 45 and 51. And there were multiple times where he made plays with his feet to keep a play alive and completed a pass something Sawyer would not have done. I do agree that he does need to run the ball more though. There were times where it looked like a "read option", but clearly was not as if he had kept the ball it would have been a much bigger gain than DJ got. Why not actually use true read option when he is in the game?
UNI has never run a true read option. Like I said earlier, every QB at UNI with Salmon/Verduzco has always given the read option look but it's never been a read option. Rennie is the only one that's ever had the go a head to read it (I don't even know if he did, I'm just guessing he did).

51% compared to 45% means 5 more completions last week. It means a couple more first downs/keeping the drive alive.

Over the course of a baseball season what's the difference between a .300 hitter and a .275 hitter using the average ABs of an everyday player? A mere 10 hits. 10 hits over the course of the season doesn't sound like a lot, but it can make a huge difference in time.

Listen, I said I'm on board if Carnes can be used properly. He clearly can't/isn't. I don't like a QB that can't complete half their passes.

kingranch
November 3rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
UNI has never run a true read option. Like I said earlier, every QB at UNI with Salmon/Verduzco has always given the read option look but it's never been a read option. Rennie is the only one that's ever had the go a head to read it (I don't even know if he did, I'm just guessing he did).

51% compared to 45% means 5 more completions last week. It means a couple more first downs/keeping the drive alive.

Over the course of a baseball season what's the difference between a .300 hitter and a .275 hitter using the average ABs of an everyday player? A mere 10 hits. 10 hits over the course of the season doesn't sound like a lot, but it can make a huge difference in time.

Listen, I said I'm on board if Carnes can be used properly. He clearly can't/isn't. I don't like a QB that can't complete half their passes.

I do, but only when he plays for the opposite team, kind of like this Saturday! Emanuel may even get four sacks again this week.

CappinHard
November 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
The way I see the top of the MVFC playing out:

1. NDSU: 12-0 (8-0)
2. ISUr: 10-1 (7-1)
3. YSU: 8-4 (5-3)
4. SDSU: 8-4 (5-3)
5. UNI: 7-5 (5-3)
6. ISUb: 7-5 (4-4)

Top 4 make playoffs, UNI on the bubble.

Big game for SDSU and ISUb this weekend. They would flip spots if ISUb wins.

UNI could throw a wrench in things with a win this weekend (not likely).

Sycamore62
November 3rd, 2014, 01:44 PM
The way I see the top of the MVFC playing out:

1. NDSU: 12-0 (8-0)
2. ISUr: 10-1 (7-1)
3. YSU: 8-4 (5-3)
4. SDSU: 8-4 (5-3)
5. UNI: 7-5 (5-3)
6. ISUb: 7-5 (4-4)

Top 4 make playoffs, UNI on the bubble.

Big game for SDSU and ISUb this weekend. They would flip spots if ISUb wins.

UNI could throw a wrench in things with a win this weekend (not likely).

I think SDSU has a better shot at ISUb than YSU even though SDSU is on the road and YSU will be at home.

Dont be stunned if ISUb is 9-3

unigriff
November 3rd, 2014, 02:45 PM
I think SDSU has a better shot at ISUb than YSU even though SDSU is on the road and YSU will be at home.

Dont be stunned if ISUb is 9-3

I won't be because it won't happen.

Sycamore62
November 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM
I won't be because it won't happen.

so you will it does is what I'm reading. none of what SDSU or YSU has done so far has shown me they are on another level

YSU - wins vs SDSU and the teams ISUb has beat. Still have to play our 2 conference losses
SDSU - wins vs same teams ISUb has beat in also dramatic fashion and same 2 conference losses + YSU

i realize i didnt include OOC but who really cares about that.

KUlawJack
November 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
so you will it does is what I'm reading. none of what SDSU or YSU has done so far has shown me they are on another level

YSU - wins vs SDSU and the teams ISUb has beat. Still have to play our 2 conference losses
SDSU - wins vs same teams ISUb has beat in also dramatic fashion and same 2 conference losses + YSU

i realize i didnt include OOC but who really cares about that.

I sure as hell do if we end up 8-4! One of our wins is a DIII, but we also have a curb stomping of Cal Poly on there.

As far as how the rest of the season plays out, I agree it has no bearing at all.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but we might finally be getting a little healthy on offense. Defense is our biggest issue (not injuries, just bad play) right now.

X-Factor
November 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM
I sure as hell do if we end up 8-4! One of our wins is a DIII, but we also have a curb stomping of Cal Poly on there.

As far as how the rest of the season plays out, I agree it has no bearing at all.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but we might finally be getting a little healthy on offense. Defense is our biggest issue (not injuries, just bad play) right now.

And right there explains why an MVFC with 7-5 or 8-4 record is more deserving than an 8-3/8-4/9-3 ex-MVFC.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2014, 05:03 PM
And right there explains why an MVFC with 7-5 or 8-4 record is more deserving than an 8-3/8-4/9-3 ex-MVFC.
I'm confused as to what you're talking about.
There are only two ex-MVFC's. One is now FBS and the other already has 5 losses.

Sycamore62
November 3rd, 2014, 05:32 PM

Ya, I just meant they don't help with my transitive property.

X-Factor
November 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
I'm confused as to what you're talking about.
There are only two ex-MVFC's. One is now FBS and the other already has 5 losses.

sorry, I worded that terribly. I meant to say conferences outside of the MVFC. The MVFC has absolutely owned FCS this season, which isn't up for debate, and should be rewarded playoff selection above other conferences. SDSU / Cal Poly is a premier example.

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2014, 06:44 PM

I don't know that I agree that the MVFC is more deserving of playoff consideration. Because SDSU beat Cal Poly handily, every other MVFC team should benefit?

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 07:15 PM
I don't know that I agree that the MVFC is more deserving of playoff consideration. Because SDSU beat Cal Poly handily, every other MVFC team should benefit?
What about a winless USD team (which ranks in the bottom 2 of every statistical category on offense and defense and being outscored 35-12 in conference games) beating NAU?

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 07:22 PM
What about a winless USD team (which ranks in the bottom 2 of every statistical category on offense and defense and being outscored 35-12 in conference games) beating NAU?

NAU, CP, SUU, Montana, Weber, NoCo, and UND all lost to MVFC teams....

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2014, 07:26 PM
NAU, CP, SUU, Montana, Weber, NoCo, and UND all lost to MVFC teams....

Keep chest pumping about that...

No MSU, EWU, or ISU on that list.

I'm not saying there aren't some good wins in there. I think Cal Poly is good now. But I don't think they were nearly as strong at the beginning of the season. I think NAU and UM are just OK. UM could be strong with some more offensive consistency.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM
I'm just pointing out facts. Who did the Big Sky beat that was so great OOC?

The problem is a lot of conferences had weak OOC, and a lot of them didn't have the record the MVC did.

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2014, 07:38 PM
I'm just pointing out facts. Who did the Big Sky beat that was so great OOC?

The problem is a lot of conferences had weak OOC, and a lot of them didn't have the record the MVC did.

True. We could just play cupcakes and make ourselves look better. BTW, I would say SHSU, MSU, UCA were all good wins by two of the top BSC teams. I believe our top teams could compete with the top of the MVFC. Just my opinion. But that's been true in the playoffs as well. The very top of the BSC is not way below the top of the MVFC just because the OOC record for the conference is not as strong. Give me Valpo, and Butler, and Incarnate Word, and Austin Peay, and...well, you get the point.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 07:58 PM
True. We could just play cupcakes and make ourselves look better. BTW, I would say SHSU, MSU, UCA were all good wins by two of the top BSC teams. I believe our top teams could compete with the top of the MVFC. Just my opinion. But that's been true in the playoffs as well. The very top of the BSC is not way below the top of the MVFC just because the OOC record for the conference is not as strong. Give me Valpo, and Butler, and Incarnate Word, and Austin Peay, and...well, you get the point.

I'm not one of the MVFC fans that thinks the top teams in the BSC are that far behind the top of the MVFC. Heck I think EWU could be a top 2 team in the MVFC with VA healthy.

When you say MSU are you talking about EWU beating Montana St. in an "OOC" game? I understand that it was technically an OOC game, but you are in the same conference so...

dudeitsaid
November 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
I'm not one of the MVFC fans that thinks the top teams in the BSC are that far behind the top of the MVFC. Heck I think EWU could be a top 2 team in the MVFC with VA healthy.

When you say MSU are you talking about EWU beating Montana St. in an "OOC" game? I understand that it was technically an OOC game, but you are in the same conference so...

I think those games are as tough, if not tougher than the regular OOC games. The teams are familiar with one another. And there is an element of rivalry. Trust me, our AD was not thinking "Easy Win" when he scheduled that game. And if you could have watched it, you would have seen one of the most entertaining, hard fought games of the season.

There were three "OOC" games with BSC teams facing off with one another. That means that no matter what, we were going to have three losses in the "non-conference" schedule in the BSC.

You can tell, at least in regards to EWU, we are not running from tough OOC games. SHSU two years in a row, MSU, NDSU, UNI, etc. I think that is all top flight competition, and I think the UNI and NDSU AD's expect a game from EWU. So mad props to them for making this happen as well!

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2014, 08:10 PM
There were three "OOC" games with BSC teams facing off with one another. That means that no matter what, we were going to have three losses in the "non-conference" schedule in the BSC.

don't know about anyone else, but if I were comparing OOC records to compare conferences, I probably wouldn't include those games when compiling data. But then I never bothered to compile such data about the BSC this season, and I don't know how others have treated the matter with their data.

wow
November 4th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I think those games are as tough, if not tougher than the regular OOC games. The teams are familiar with one another. And there is an element of rivalry. (1)Trust me, our AD was not thinking "Easy Win" when he scheduled that game. And if you could have watched it, you would have seen one of the most entertaining, hard fought games of the season.

(2)There were three "OOC" games with BSC teams facing off with one another. That means that no matter what, we were going to have three losses in the "non-conference" schedule in the BSC.

You can tell, at least in regards to EWU, we are not running from tough OOC games. SHSU two years in a row, MSU, NDSU, UNI, etc. I think that is all top flight competition, and I think the UNI and NDSU AD's expect a game from EWU. So mad props to them for making this happen as well!

(1)Trust me, our AD was not thinking "easy win" when he scheduled the Cal Poly game. And if you could have watched it, you would have seen one of the top teams in the BSC get dominated by an average MVFC team (and average may be a generous description of SDSU at this point).

(2)Seriously? No matter what, you were going to have 3 wins in the "non-conference" schedule, too. The Big Sky could do no worse than .500 in 6 "OOC" games.

UNIFanSince1983
November 4th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I think those games are as tough, if not tougher than the regular OOC games. The teams are familiar with one another. And there is an element of rivalry. Trust me, our AD was not thinking "Easy Win" when he scheduled that game. And if you could have watched it, you would have seen one of the most entertaining, hard fought games of the season.

That is because it is a conference game. It might not count towards the conference records, but you are familiar with the team, and there is a rivalry because you are in the same conference. Obviously, your AD was not thinking easy win, but if you want to argue about OOC I have a hard time taking those games where BSC plays BSC as OOC games.

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 12:00 PM
If this season plays out where we have
12-0
10-1
8-4
8-4
8-4
7-5
and 5 teams dont get in, then there is no reason to have a conference with 10 teams. pick up SEMO and EIU and have 2 conferences

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Wow! Found this on page 3.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Wow! Found this on page 3.

Lets talk playoffs. Here is who the valley will get in....

1. NDSU
2. Illinois State
3. Youngstown State

That's it. I don't believe we get four teams in. Indiana State screwed it up by losing to SDSU and SDSU will not get in even if they win out. Mark my words. I hope I have to eat it later.

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2014, 05:11 PM

1. NDSU
2. Illinois State
3. Youngstown State

That's it. I don't believe we get four teams in. Indiana State screwed it up by losing to SDSU and SDSU will not get in even if they win out. Mark my words. I hope I have to eat it later.
SDSU has a good shot at winning out with games left against WIU and USD. That would make them 5-3 in conference. I think it might be enough.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I am in favor of adding 2 teams to make two divisions.

Houndawg
November 8th, 2014, 05:15 PM
SDSU has a good shot at winning out with games left against WIU and USD. That would make them 5-3 in conference. I think it might be enough.

In the unlikely event that the Dawgs win out and finish 5-3 what would be the tie breaker since SIU and ADSU don't play each other this year? Each team also has a non-counter I think.

clenz
November 8th, 2014, 05:16 PM
In the unlikely event that the Dawgs win out and finish 5-3 what would be the tie breaker since SIU and ADSU don't play each other this year? Each team also has a non-counter I think.
Gpi

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2014, 05:18 PM
USD!!!!

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 05:34 PM

1. NDSU
2. Illinois State
3. Youngstown State

Ill stick to my 2-1 inthe last three gets ISUb in. Looks a little more bleak after today now

smilo
November 8th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Golly, people usually criticize me for being pessimistic. You guys need to just sit back and watched the Big Sky implosion take place while maybe Richmond and WM fall apart in the CAA.

Should have 5 (NDSU, ISU-r, ISU-b, SDSU, Youngstown/UNI) teams guaranteed with a shot a 6 (Youngstown/UNI) and a real outside chance at 7 (maybe if SIU beats UNI and UNI can tout wins over NDSU and ISU-r) if everything goes right. Calmate.

If the MEAC gets 3 bids over multiple of these teams, I'm done with FCS football. Patriot, OVC, NEC, SoCon and SLC will combine for 2 at-large bids (EKU and 1 SLC). Liberty will get one. 2 from the CAA and 1-2 from the BSC if they properly implode. Leaves 6 At-large teams - 1 MEAC and 5 MVFC. Have faith even if the past has not been kind.

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2014, 06:03 PM
So IF UNI holds on do the guys saying it's only ndsu propping up the conference say it was a bad loss or that maybe the rest of the conference is actually good?

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 06:08 PM
So IF UNI holds on do the guys saying it's only ndsu propping up the conference say it was a bad loss or that maybe the rest of the conference is actually good?

Each will be used independently of eachother for convenience whenever it helps an argument

Thumper 76
November 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Each will be used independently of eachother for convenience whenever it helps an argument

I figured so, but ya know. Thought I'd ask :)

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I assume the question will be why should we let <insert mvfc team> in?
or
why shouldn't we let <insert non-mvfc team> in

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I assume the question will be why should we let <insert mvfc team> in?
or
why shouldn't we let <insert non-mvfc team> in

1 crap team and 1 mediocre team

Theee Catrabbit
November 8th, 2014, 07:19 PM
NDSU lost to UNI, now what? SDSU beat UNI, SDSU beat ISU-B, but loses to ISU-R, UNI beat ISU-R but lost to ISU-B? and it goes on and on and on and on.......SDSU must win out. ISU-B must win out, UNI must win out....then what? YSU still has games against ISU-B and NDSU they could end up 7-5, so YSU needs to try and win one of those. The best SDSU ends up is 7-4(I'm throwing Oshkosh out the window).......It's all quite mad....

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM
From ISUb standpoint. How do the GPI type polls look having a loss to NDSU but a win over the team that beat them. Of course the loss today will hurt them

penguinpower
November 8th, 2014, 07:31 PM
what a mess

FargoBison
November 8th, 2014, 07:32 PM
The stage is set for five MVFC teams getting in.

This league is heads and shoulders above the rest.

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Some year I expect the whole league to end up 4-4.

clenz
November 8th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Wouldn't shock me one bit

FargoBison
November 8th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Well there were six 4-4 teams in 2010.

centennial
November 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM
From ISUb standpoint. How do the GPI type polls look having a loss to NDSU but a win over the team that beat them. Of course the loss today will hurt them
UNI AD had an interview today. Last year they did NOT look at the GPI. They only care about the SRS. According the that system SC State would beat 5 MVFC teams.

ValleyTalk
November 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM
We can't trust this committee to do jack squat. They will find ways to leave MVFC teams out. Let's all brace ourselves in advance.

mmiller_34
November 8th, 2014, 08:57 PM
We can't trust this committee to do jack squat. They will find ways to leave MVFC teams out. Let's all brace ourselves in advance.

This 100%. I've already accepted that the Jacks are out. Plus, we still have to beat WIU and USD, no small task.

Bison56
November 8th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Does the UNI win help the MVFC in playoff selections? Just curious on everyone's thoughts I know there is still games left but just asking.

clenz
November 8th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Does the UNI win help the MVFC in playoff selections? Just curious on everyone's thoughts I know there is still games left but just asking.
I want to say help but i have a feeling it won't

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 8th, 2014, 09:14 PM
It certainly helps UNI if they take care of business the rest of the year. I think it helps everyone in the league and the country to prove that NDSU is mortal. The key in the playoffs is doing it in the dome or in Frisco. The way the schedule looks teams, teams will have an opportunity to win or lose their way in or out to end the season. SIU now has a great chance at home against the Panthers before closing at ISUr. Likewise with YSU having ISUb and @ NDSU.

The CAA is still very interesting too. Two or three teams not named UNH and 'Nova will be playing themselves in or out as well over the next two weeks....

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I've long been on record with my belief Indiana State is by far the west D1, non HBCU, scholarship program in America.

Historically that may still be true but it's clear that Indiana State, while still likely to be rolled by 21 plus weekly in the MVFC would be a middle of the pack OVC team.

What does that tell you about the MVFC?
Wow

Ill go 5 wins in the conference this year.

Maybe be not but that game today was not as close as the score.

The he only thing the OVC has had in the last 10 years was jimmy G and butler in the play in game.

You think Indiana State wins 5 mvfc games this year?

I've never done an illegal drug in my life, but PLEASE send me whatever it is that you're on if you really believe that.

Ill throw this in there too

Not a frickin chance on this!

I sure hope they mean the OVC because 5 MVFC isn't happening unless they are talking about the next 4 years is combined

No drugs

Here's how we will get at least 5 MVC wins. Every year, all the teams who say they are contenders will lose one dumb game. A couple of the teams have half a good year and miss the playoffs. I look at our schedule and those losses and halves of bad seasons will land playing us.

im mostly joking around, but keep in mind that last year we had horrible injury losses and we were not deep in important positions. We played the last game with a receiver playing QB and defensive players on offense.

And no one will remember me saying this except me if unless they actually get 5 wins and I will make sure everyone remembers

Well, I have to admit, I was wrong. Im really disappointed that I couldnt be able to point out these posts with my 5 win total.

Trust me...I don't forget when people say stupid **** like this.

Outside of the Shakir Bell years Indiana State has 9 MVFC wins, total, since the turn of the century...and 6 of those were before the start of the 03 season

Even with the Bell years thrown in there is still only 18 conference wins since the turn of the century

The treesbeing good and knocking anyone off is bad for the conference. We need misuse to be a fold over w for the top teams and everyone to be respectable

Imagine giving the selection committee another reason to keep an mvfc team out

I don't often agree with Jay, but he's dead on with this one.

If the 8th-10th (maybe ISUb finishes out of 10th this year...doubt it...but maybe) MVFC team knocks off a team from the Big South that received votes for first place in their preseason poll it would be huge.

It's not that I don't want every team in our conference to be strong (I kind of do) but for getting teams into the playoffs it just doesn't work for the MVFC - it does for the CAA but not for the MVFC.

It's great to see a conference like that, but for the MVFC it isn't going to work with getting 3 or 4 playoff teams - even if they truly deserve it. It doesn't look like there will be enough separation between the top 5 and the bottom 5 to get a proper amount of bids .***

I would note that Shakir Bell didn't play in any of these games and our MVFC schedule didnt include USD. I know you all watch a lot of football and are big FCS fans, but I'll let you in on a secret. Our QBs and defense were what was getting us out of the cellar 4 of the last 5 years.

And Ill throw this one in for Steve Bartman

AND THE CUBS WIN THE WORLD SERIES, THE CUBS WIN THE WORLD SERIES, THE CUBS WIN THE WORLD SERIES... this year

I apologize to the Cubs fans, could not help it...

Cocky
November 24th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Every year and team are different.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 01:44 PM
how many MVFC teams will make the round of 16?

clenz
November 25th, 2014, 02:11 PM
how many MVFC teams will make the round of 16?
At most 3

SDSU would feed into NDSU
UNI would feed into ISUr

Trumpster
November 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
At most 3

SDSU would feed into NDSU
UNI would feed into ISUr
I think he's asking to round of 16, not past it. Meaning ISUr and NDSU already are there.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I think he's asking to round of 16, not past it. Meaning ISUr and NDSU already are there.

this.
possibly 5 minimum is 2

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2014, 02:40 PM
At least 3 is my guess. Which ones I don't know. I may even lean towards 4 of us making it.

clenz
November 25th, 2014, 03:52 PM
At least 3 is my guess. Which ones I don't know. I may even lean towards 4 of us making it.
The "money" is on 3

I won't be shocked to see 4

5 might shock me some...depending if a couple things fall a certain way...

Redbird Recon
November 25th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I've seen both Montana State and South Dakota State play at their best and worst this season.
Jacks will win. Whether Prukop plays or not will determine the spread.

Theee Catrabbit
November 25th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Well.....I dont think anyone expected to see ISU-B in. Does this ranks as one of the most astounding turnarounds in a program's history?

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Well.....I dont think anyone expected to see ISU-B in. Does this ranks as one of the most astounding turnarounds in a program's history?

only if they win a game

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM
only if they win a game

I agree with this. One could argue that other teams would have been in the field of 24

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Ill go 5 wins in the conference this year.

Maybe be not but that game today was not as close as the score.

The he only thing the OVC has had in the last 10 years was jimmy G and butler in the play in game.

Oh, and I was counting our win 3 weeks from saturday too. xdrunkyx

dewey
November 26th, 2014, 10:17 AM

I think it certainly does. ISUb looked terrible in the game I saw them last year and for them to come back this year beat FBS Ball State, Liberty, Northern Iowa (should have beaten Illinois State) and were ranked in the top 25 for much of the season then to make the playoffs is quite a feat.

I remember the ISUb fan who was saying that the Sycamores would win something like 6 games and it did not go over well with others. I certainly didn't think it was possible...BTW pass over another serving of crow:-)

Dewey

Sycamore62
November 26th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I would have rather seen them beat WIU to get in. But I guess it's if not how you get in the playoffs

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2014, 11:26 AM
who was the MVFC rep on the playoff committee

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I agree with this. One could argue that other teams would have been in the field of 24

that's right! no pressure on Indy State or anything but the credibility of the MFVC is resting on this game, besides if they didnt make the tourney all the Valley Boys would of been telling us how they would win not one but at least 2 games....

having said that, I picked they to beat EKU...... A toss up pick based that landed MVFC based on the strength of your conference, don't let me down now!

Panther-State
November 28th, 2014, 06:17 PM
who was the MVFC rep on the playoff committee

Troy Dannen. UNI's AD

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Troy Dannen. UNI's AD

So, he has my vote from now on

BisonBohl
November 29th, 2014, 07:59 PM
How did we do today?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 08:00 PM
How did we do today?

2-0 so far and most likely 3-0.

xthumbsupx

BisonBohl
November 29th, 2014, 08:01 PM
2-0 so far and most likely 3-0.

xthumbsupx

Nice! Rest of the field is lucky two MVFC teams have to lose next round...

penguinpower
November 29th, 2014, 09:08 PM
The league has been completely validated. Last place team knocks off OVC #2 team convincingly.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2014, 09:10 PM
The league has been completely validated. Last place team knocks off OVC #2 team convincingly.

Probably last team to get into the playoffs...agree.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Assuming UNI wins the Sweet 16 breaks down like this:

MVFC: 5 teams
CAA: 3 teams
Big Sky: 2 teams
Big South: 2 teams
SLC: 1 team
OVC: 1 team
SOCON: 1 team
Patriot: 1 team

The good news for the rest of the FCS is that there's 2 MVFC teams that have to lose next week with intra-conference matchups :D

unigriff
November 29th, 2014, 09:17 PM
And I'm guessing the winner of those two intraconference matchups will be heavily favored to make the final four at the least :)

Texas
November 29th, 2014, 10:07 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003128131/5128423395_You_boys_know_what_a_circle_jerk_is_xla rge.jpeg

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2014, 10:08 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003128131/5128423395_You_boys_know_what_a_circle_jerk_is_xla rge.jpeg

Think that is what SFA was doing instead of showing up for the playoff game.

clenz
November 29th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I've beaten my meat better the sfa played tonight

Texas
November 29th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't put it past them.

ValleyTalk
November 29th, 2014, 10:17 PM
How about that Valley dominance!?

penguinpower
November 29th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Should have taken 6 teams

YSU FAN#34
November 29th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Good Job good guys of the MVFC!!!!

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2014, 11:17 PM
And I'm guessing the winner of those two intraconference matchups will be heavily favored to make the final four at the least :)

I don't think the winner of our game will be favored unless it's Illinois State. Picking us to win at Montana would be insane and at EWU might be crazy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2014, 05:26 AM
I don't think the winner of our game will be favored unless it's Illinois State. Picking us to win at Montana would be insane and at EWU might be crazy.

Both UNI and Ill State have the defense to beat EWU or UM. They just have to go out and prove it on the road.

DoubleE
November 30th, 2014, 05:42 AM
MVFC 25-1 vs Non MVFC FCS Schools this year, after next week it will either be 26-1 or 25-2, not bad

Houndawg
November 30th, 2014, 06:28 AM

SFA's offense?

TennBison
November 30th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Should have taken 6 teams
And who would it have been for # 6, SIU ???

clenz
November 30th, 2014, 08:15 AM
And who would it have been for # 6, SIU ???
6 would have been a joke

penguinpower
November 30th, 2014, 08:17 AM
6 would have been a joke

Seriously? If you are looking to take the best at large then....

- - - Updated - - -

I think YSU and SIU would have done some damage

clenz
November 30th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Seriously? If you are looking to take the best at large then....

- - - Updated - - -

I think YSU and SIU would have done some damage
There is zero justification for SIU, especially how they wndwe the year.

Same for YSU, who did their best to prove they are better than the NEC, PFL and bottom 3 MVFC teams but nothing else yet again this year. This is in a year you didnt have to play UNI, which is an auto L for YSU

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2014, 08:55 AM
MVFC 25-1 vs Non MVFC FCS Schools this year, after next week it will either be 26-1 or 25-2, not bad

I think that is 26-1. Some FBS leagues couldn't do that.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2014, 09:38 AM
6 would have been a joke

Not really, the joke is on San Diego and Morgan State. I always for getting 7 CAA teams in back in the hey day... I dont remember if they ever got 6 though.

clenz
November 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Not really, the joke is on San Diego and Morgan State. I always for getting 7 CAA teams in back in the hey day... I dont remember if they ever got 6 though.
They won their AQ, I have no "real"issue with them.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Both UNI and Ill State have the defense to beat EWU or UM. They just have to go out and prove it on the road.

But we are talking about being favored. UNI's history of head I that far west in the playoffs is not good.

wretched
November 30th, 2014, 11:10 AM
But we are talking about being favored. UNI's history of head I that far west in the playoffs is not good.

Who cares about history at this point, the Valley is head and shoulders above every other FCS conference and it ain't close! Including playoffs the MVFC is 5-1 vs playoff teams including the games yesterday. The 1 loss was USD at Montana 28-20. So that is the last place team in the Valley who didn't win a Valley game (and in reality was not very competitive) vs. the 2nd place team in the Big Phony Conference losing by 8 at Montana. I just think the Valley teams will keep getting it done!

Griz23
November 30th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Who cares about history at this point, the Valley is head and shoulders above every other FCS conference and it ain't close! Including playoffs the MVFC is 5-1 vs playoff teams including the games yesterday. The 1 loss was USD at Montana 28-20. So that is the last place team in the Valley who didn't win a Valley game (and in reality was not very competitive) vs. the 2nd place team in the Big Phony Conference losing by 8 at Montana. I just think the Valley teams will keep getting it done!

I think the non playoff MVFC teams should consider changing conferences so that they will always be assurred of a playoff spot.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2014, 12:08 PM

Montana is playing much better now than they were then. USD didn't have to deal with December weather.

wretched
November 30th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Montana is playing much better now than they were then. USD didn't have to deal with December weather.

Maybe because they are playing in the BPC:)

mmiller_34
December 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Can UNH or Sam Houston knock off either ISUr or NDSU?

27-2 now against non-MVFC competition.

DoubleE
December 13th, 2014, 06:00 PM

UNH can make it interesting but i think we have a MVFC Championship game in the championship game

Twentysix
December 13th, 2014, 06:01 PM

Even though ISUr is the away team I think they are more likely to advance than NDSU. But an MVFC championship game looks like the most likely outcome.

wretched
December 13th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Wonder if the powers that be make ISU travel to the opposite coast on a short week by forcing them to play Friday night?

Twentysix
December 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Wonder if the powers that be make ISU travel to the opposite coast on a short week by forcing them to play Friday night?

The friday night game is the ESPN game right? No way that they put that at UNH rather than the Fargodome. UNH's stadium is a dump and the attendance is atrocious. Not to mention the NDSU SHSU storylines.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Ill State looks really good. SHSU is a better match up for NDSU. Ross is one of the best dual threat QBs in the FCS and Sammys QB is not as good as Ross.

I'm smiling because EWU is losing another home playoff game!!!!!

UNH Fanboi
December 13th, 2014, 06:36 PM
The friday night game is the ESPN game right? No way that they put that at UNH rather than the Fargodome. UNH's stadium is a dump and the attendance is atrocious. Not to mention the NDSU SHSU storylines.

NDSU beating them every time isn't a very interesting storyline.

frozennorth
December 13th, 2014, 06:39 PM

I count 31-2. 5-1 in the playoffs.

mmiller_34
December 13th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I count 31-2. 5-1 in the playoffs.

i didn't count them. Just went off the most recent count I saw in the thread.. So you're probably correct.

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2014, 08:27 PM
i didn't count them. Just went off the most recent count I saw in the thread.. So you're probably correct.
Is the 2 and the 1 counting the same loss twice? ISUb vs chatty. I thought there was only 1 regular season loss

Hammersmith
December 13th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Is the 2 and the 1 counting the same loss twice? ISUb vs chatty. I thought there was only 1 regular season loss

Yep. He's saying 31-2 total, of which 5-1 came from the playoffs. Or 26-1 regular season, 5-1 playoffs, 31-2 total.

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Yep. He's saying 31-2 total, of which 5-1 came from the playoffs. Or 26-1 regular season, 5-1 playoffs, 31-2 total.

Yep

totally missed that

PantherRob82
December 13th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Shouldn't it be 4-1 in the playoffs against non MVFC teams?

Hammersmith
December 13th, 2014, 10:48 PM

3 1st round wins (UNI, ISUb, SDSU)
2 3rd round wins today(NDSU over CCU, ISUr over EWU)

KUlawJack
December 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM

Wins:
Montana State
Stephen F Austin
Eastern Kentucky
CCU
EWU

Only loss to UTC.

TheEagleSHSU
December 13th, 2014, 11:12 PM
SHSU is 1-3 I believe vs NDSU.

0-2 on neutral turf (2011 & 2012)
0-1 in Fargo (2008)
1-0 in Huntsville (2009)

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Dd anyone other than UNI AND ISUb have to play ISUr and NDSU back to back?

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I forgot our first round win. It wasn't really a game. xlolx

Thumper 76
December 14th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Good thing they had those conference match ups last round or this could be a kinda boring (nationally speaking) semi finals.

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Dd anyone other than UNI AND ISUb have to play ISUr and NDSU back to back?

We almost did, had a game at Youngstown State thrown in there between the two though.

mmiller_34
December 14th, 2014, 03:37 PM
What are he chances MVFC keeps this up next year?

SDSU has obvious holes to fill on offense. However, the offensive line and defense should return lots of experience. The QB battle will be interesting for us this offseason.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2014, 03:42 PM
What are he chances MVFC keeps this up next year?

SDSU has obvious holes to fill on offense. However, the offensive line and defense should return lots of experience. The QB battle will be interesting for us this offseason.

NDSU's offense will be better IMO. Our best O-lineman is coming back from injury and Vraa might take a medical hardship year and come back. The defense will take a step back I think with all of the seniors that will be leaving.

As for the other teams, I think UNI will have some troubles next year. WIU will be good. I haven't looked at Ill State's lineup to see how many are seniors.

dewey
December 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM
NDSU's offense will be better IMO. Our best O-lineman is coming back from injury and Vraa might take a medical hardship year and come back. The defense will take a step back I think with all of the seniors that will be leaving.

The NDSU defense will lose DE's Kyle Emanuel and Mike Hardie, LB's Carleton Littlejohn Travis Beck and Esley Thorton, SS Colten Heagle and FS Christian Dudzik.

On offense NDSU will lose TE Kevin Vaadeland, Center Jesse Hinz, WR Trevor Gebhart and RB John Crockett. WR Zach Vraa is a senior but as others have mentioned he may take a medical redshirt.

I agree that the offense should probably be better next year and more than likely the defense will take a step back. After losing those linebackers and safeties how can you not.

Dewey

thebootfitter
December 15th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Interesting observation on the Sagarin ratings this week. After the NDSU vs CCU game, NDSU climbed a fraction of a point, but CCU climbed around 3 points. Liberty also had about a three point jump. (I didn't check any of the other Big South teams.) Looks like Sagarin places a lot of weight on playing a tough opponent closer than expected. While CCU's rating had been lower against a relatively weak schedule, it sure added credibility to play close against the top team.

achrist70
December 15th, 2014, 07:43 PM
UNI has some major holes to fill, but I don't think they will fall a long ways, offensively we have to replace one of the best player in program history, and a couple lineman, and figure out what we want to do with the QB. Defensively we lose X, who will probably also play in the NFL, Mac O'Brien, and Busher who has been a solid backer for year, and Ray Mitchell in the secondary, more than likely Jake Farley, although he may apply for a 6th year, he lost an entire year while at Kansas due to injury and missed over half the year last year.

Honest question for the Bison fans, why is Vraa going to apply for another year, I thought he played for 4 years?

DoubleE
December 15th, 2014, 09:53 PM
YSU loses most their wr's and their Center on offense,

On defense they lose a NT, a lb, a cb, and a safety

so....... who knows

FargoBison
December 15th, 2014, 10:52 PM
UNI has some major holes to fill, but I don't think they will fall a long ways, offensively we have to replace one of the best player in program history, and a couple lineman, and figure out what we want to do with the QB. Defensively we lose X, who will probably also play in the NFL, Mac O'Brien, and Busher who has been a solid backer for year, and Ray Mitchell in the secondary, more than likely Jake Farley, although he may apply for a 6th year, he lost an entire year while at Kansas due to injury and missed over half the year last year.

Honest question for the Bison fans, why is Vraa going to apply for another year, I thought he played for 4 years?

He broke his collarbone three times his first two seasons, he will get another year if he wants it.

Twentysix
December 16th, 2014, 03:12 AM
He broke his collarbone three times his first two seasons, he will get another year if he wants it.

Yes plz.

Sophomore Polish Lightning + Vraa + Wentz gives us a strong offense next year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 16th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Where is the Coyote fan saying they will run the table in the Valley like this year?

xchinscratchx

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Where is the Coyote fan saying they will run the table in the Valley like this year?

xchinscratchx

That will come in February ir Marxh

344Johnson
December 16th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Yes plz.

Sophomore Polish Lightning + Vraa + Wentz gives us a strong offense next year.

They'll need some help, defense will likely have some severe growing pains. I don't expect them to give up 30 points a game or anything, but a noticeable step back.

wretched
December 16th, 2014, 11:44 AM
No doubt WIU is building in a big way. Watched what Coach Nielson did at Eau Claire and UMD and he seems to be putting the same blue print in place at Western. I heard Coach Farley talk glowingly for lack of a better word about last year's recruiting class at UNI. Not sure if he usually does that but I heard or read it throughout the year in several different places so I think it may be more then just talk to keep fans interested. I think their defense will be very tough again despite the losses as they have enough playmakers returning and from what I understand they are always pretty good on that side of the ball. No doubt replacing DJ will be impossible but if they can find a QB and the OL can improve they may actually be better on that side of the ball next year. Wonder if any transfers will have the type of impact Roberson has had at ISUr?

wretched
December 16th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I do think the MVFC will continue to be the dominant FCS conference at least for another year or two. I think the Bison upped the standards in what was already a premiere league forcing the rest of the league to committ even more resources to the football program and compete at a higher level. Plus I think you have some really under recruited areas of the nation in the heart of the MVFC and this leads to great recruiting classes and just judging by past records the coaches in the Valley really know how to develop players. I see UND has hit the recruiting trail hard in Minnesota. I know the Bison have already got several huge verbal commits out of Minnesota but wondering if the return of UND to emphasizing Minnesota in recruiting is a concern for Bison fans. That along with the Gophers who are longer percieved as a joke of a program but rather an up and coming program could lead to the Bison losing top tier recruits out of Minnesota to either the Gophers or UND. This could have an affect on the balance of power among FCS conferences and will be very intersting to watch.

FargoBison
December 16th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I do think the MVFC will continue to be the dominant FCS conference at least for another year or two. I think the Bison upped the standards in what was already a premiere league forcing the rest of the league to committ even more resources to the football program and compete at a higher level. Plus I think you have some really under recruited areas of the nation in the heart of the MVFC and this leads to great recruiting classes and just judging by past records the coaches in the Valley really know how to develop players. I see UND has hit the recruiting trail hard in Minnesota. I know the Bison have already got several huge verbal commits out of Minnesota but wondering if the return of UND to emphasizing Minnesota in recruiting is a concern for Bison fans. That along with the Gophers who are longer percieved as a joke of a program but rather an up and coming program could lead to the Bison losing top tier recruits out of Minnesota to either the Gophers or UND. This could have an affect on the balance of power among FCS conferences and will be very intersting to watch.

I want the Gophers to be good, traditionally when that happens they go out of state even more. When they are bad they need to take more chances on borderline FBS regional talent.

As for UND, not worried about them at all. Their program is horrible, UNI and SDSU are the only FCS schools I worry about in MN.

Houndawg
December 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM

NDSU recruiting against Jerry Kill could be the best thing to happen to the rest of the MVC

Houndawg
December 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
No doubt WIU is building in a big way. Watched what Coach Nielson did at Eau Claire and UMD and he seems to be putting the same blue print in place at Western. I heard Coach Farley talk glowingly for lack of a better word about last year's recruiting class at UNI. Not sure if he usually does that but I heard or read it throughout the year in several different places so I think it may be more then just talk to keep fans interested. I think their defense will be very tough again despite the losses as they have enough playmakers returning and from what I understand they are always pretty good on that side of the ball. No doubt replacing DJ will be impossible but if they can find a QB and the OL can improve they may actually be better on that side of the ball next year. Wonder if any transfers will have the type of impact Roberson has had at ISUr?

They have the best recruiting class every year.xcoffeex

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Are any teams in the MVFC nervous their coach is going to get poached? I would think every time a P5 job is filled by a P5 coordinator or another P5 HC everyone breathes a sigh of relief

achrist70
December 16th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I am not saying the Vraa won't get another year if he applies but the NCAA usually doesn't give a 6th year if a player played in any part of a season in all 4 seasons.

FargoBison
December 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I am not saying the Vraa won't get another year if he applies but the NCAA usually doesn't give a 6th year if a player played in any part of a season in all 4 seasons.

He was injured his first game in his RS freshman season. I don't know what the NCAA usually does, but it has been worked out and he will get the extra year if he wants it.

wow
December 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
He was injured his first game in his RS freshman season. I don't know what the NCAA usually does, but it has been worked out and he will get the extra year if he wants it.

Interesting. Everybody was adamant that Sumner was not eligible for a medical this year despite breaking bones a few snaps into the Missouri game. I wonder what the difference would be?

Of course, this is the NCAA we are dealing with. Random application of the rules seems to be the rule.

clenz
December 16th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Interesting. Everybody was adamant that Sumner was not eligible for a medical this year despite breaking bones a few snaps into the Missouri game. I wonder what the difference would be?

Of course, this is the NCAA we are dealing with. Random application of the rules seems to be the rule.
Why did Sumner redshirt the first time?

UNIFanSince1983
December 16th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Are any teams in the MVFC nervous their coach is going to get poached? I would think every time a P5 job is filled by a P5 coordinator or another P5 HC everyone breathes a sigh of relief

No because if you haven't heard the MVFC is now getting P5 Head Coaches ;)

Actually no I am not that concerned. I don't think we have been good enough lately for someone to offer Farley good money. I really guess I have no insight on it, but I really am not concerned about Farley leaving at this point.

wow
December 16th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Why did Sumner redshirt the first time?

SDSU had a quarterback of the future already playing... Thomas O'Brian was a Sophomore I believe.

FargoBison
December 16th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I guess I should have added Vraa red shirted his first year because he broke his collarbone. He broke it three times in two years. He broke it in fall camp as a true freshman, his first game as a RS freshman and then again a week or so before the playoffs that same year during practice when he was preparing to come back.

clenz
December 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM
SDSU had a quarterback of the future already playing... Thomas O'Brian was a Sophomore I believe.
That's the kicker.

He redshirted, on his own, with no injury.

That's a BIG no-no when it comes to the NCAA and getting an extra year

wretched
December 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I want the Gophers to be good, traditionally when that happens they go out of state even more. When they are bad they need to take more chances on borderline FBS regional talent.

As for UND, not worried about them at all. Their program is horrible, UNI and SDSU are the only FCS schools I worry about in MN.

Not being an *** or looking to start a fight, but wondering why you think UND is no threat? Seems like they got things headed in the correct direction over there. Finished 5-7 with virtually no offense, beat a top 25 team in Northern Az and have great FCS facilities which will get better once the practice facility is done and like I said have got lots of verbals from Minnesota already. Just think they are going to get back to what they did to have success back in the early 2000's.

clenz
December 16th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Not being an *** or looking to start a fight, but wondering why you think UND is no threat? Seems like they got things headed in the correct direction over there. Finished 5-7 with virtually no offense, beat a top 25 team in Northern Az and have great FCS facilities which will get better once the practice facility is done and like I said have got lots of verbals from Minnesota already. Just think they are going to get back to what they did to have success back in the early 2000's.
USD beat NAU.

Trumpster
December 16th, 2014, 04:41 PM
USD beat NAU.

boom roasted.

IBleedYellow
December 16th, 2014, 05:44 PM
NDSU isn't worried about UND because they only care about Hockey. For football, they could go 1-10 or 1-11 every year, beat NDSU in football and get to the hockey frozen four and they would be ecstatic.

That said...losing to a 1-11 team wouldn't be so good for NDSU.

Their thought process:

1) Is hockey winning?
2) What can we do to beat NDSU?
3) Did the first two things happen? If so, be happy, if not, be mad and make 1 and 2 happen.

frozennorth
December 16th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Missouri Valley is in an outright arms race. Gonna be an fun next few years.

DoubleE
December 16th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Missouri Valley is in an outright arms race. Gonna be an fun next few years.

I for one am a Bo liever

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I for one am a Bo liever

Clever. Nice.

achrist70
December 16th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Not trying to be a jerk, but it couldn't have been worked out already, the NCAA does not hear cases like this until after the player has used up all "normal" eligibility so after the 5th year.

stevdock
December 16th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, but it couldn't have been worked out already, the NCAA does not hear cases like this until after the player has used up all "normal" eligibility so after the 5th year.

This is correct. I think we've all just heard that Vraa should qualify for a medical year if he wants one.

clenz
December 16th, 2014, 09:45 PM
This is correct. I think we've all just heard that Vraa should qualify for a medical year if he wants one.
Have you ever watched the ncaa deal with these cases?

Should has zero to do with it.

Jake Farley could be back next year...maybe.

clenz
December 16th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I think most cases are resolved aftwr apring ball id already done.

I believe it was June before Creighton basketball player Grant Gibbs found out his 6th year....he is proof the ncaa has no real standard

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2014, 09:55 PM
I played with a guy in 94 or 95 who broke his ankle in the opening game and didn't get an extra year. No clue what they go by or if it has changed since then

Daved
December 16th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I for one am a Bo lieverSure hope he doesn't turn into a Bo leaver!:D

Eightyfourbison
December 16th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Sure hope he doesn't turn into a Bo leaver!:D

What are the chances he stays after the Nebraska money runs out?

FargoBison
December 17th, 2014, 12:18 AM

Why would a view a school that has done nothing in the FCS as threat? They may have a lot of MN recruits but they aren't taking them away from us.

In order for me to see them as a threat they will need to actually accomplish something.

FargoBison
December 17th, 2014, 12:20 AM

I don't know everything about when it is "official", I am just going by what our coaches say and it doesn't seem like they have any doubts. Our starting TE this year had a similar situation and received a sixth year.

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Yep, the MVFC is the best in a watered down not what it used to be FCS, Hasn't been the same since they busted up the CAA....Now that was a run fella's.....

ysubigred
December 17th, 2014, 07:40 AM
What are the chances he stays after the Nebraska money runs out?

Actually, I wondering if he stays long enough for the $$ to run out xconfusedx I'm really happy YSU got Bo but I'm going to keep my mouth shut because I can't imagine Bo being here longer than two years. I just hope he can get things turned around in his short time and grooms someone to take over his success for the long haul. xthumbsupx

citdog
December 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Actually, I wondering if he stays long enough for the $$ to run out xconfusedx I'm really happy YSU got Bo but I'm going to keep my mouth shut because I can't imagine Bo being here longer than two years. I just hope he can get things turned around in his short time and grooms someone to take over his success for the long haul. xthumbsupx

Where are the boobs?

Bisonator
December 17th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Sorry but Bo doesn't come across as the grooming type to me! xlolx

Sycamore62
December 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Id say he takes the first job that is better for him. When youre hot you gotta go. 1 QB injury could ruin your whole career of opportunities.

wretched
December 17th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Why would a view a school that has done nothing in the FCS as threat? They may have a lot of MN recruits but they aren't taking them away from us.

In order for me to see them as a threat they will need to actually accomplish something.

Yeah I get it, you won 3 National Titles, a 4th is pending, but UND is going after the same players in Minnesota and Wisconisn and Michigan(UND basically abandoned recruiting the upper midwest under the former coach, which meant one less team to compete with), they have similiar facilities if not better especially once they complete their practice facility, they have a coach who gets their tradition and is passionate about UND and has a plan in place, they have run off a bunch of guys this year all the while getting better each week! Plus isn't your beloved Coach Bohl going to take a few recruits here and there that may have went to the Bison? I just think it is going to be fun to watch and will impact the balnace of power in the Valley and overall in the FCS football.