PDA

View Full Version : Can your team get in at 7-4?

Khan4Cats
November 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
I've been looking at the potential field of candidates for this year and it seems like there could be a real chance for a 7-4 team to get in as an at-large. Since only Appalachian State and Hampton are guaranteed better than that right now from the auto-bid leagues, what does everyone think of their teams chance to make a case for an at-large at 7-4.

My take: UNI at 7-4 does not get in unless there are multiple 7-4 teams. The loss to North Dakota will hurt them too much.

Other Gateway teams: Youngstown St. and Southern Illinois will not have 7Division 1 wins at 7-4, Western Kentucky is probably ahead of UNI at 7-4 but will the committee look past their probable move to I-A? I think Illinois State at 7-4 has a good chance but at least one of those losses will have to be to Indiana State or Missouri State, possibly a worse loss than UNI's to North Dakota.

Walkon79
November 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
4 scenarios out west

MSU at 7-4 with a win this week and a loss to Griz
Portland State at 7-4 if they win out
NAU at 7-4 if they win out (PSU and NAU play this week)
Cal Poly at 7-4, Would need to beat either the Griz or NDSU

IMO - Not a great shot for any of these teams at 7-4

Dane96
November 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM
But here is the million dollar question.

Does the committee give an 11-0 USD a bid...over any of the possible 7-4 teams.

I say they dont...for numerous reasons.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM
NO. We win one more game and this point is moot for us! :)

th0m
November 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM
JMU at 7-4...would mean they had to lose out. At that point they wouldn't even have 7 Div. I teams. They would definitely NOT get in (just like last year).

Bison05
November 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM
4 scenarios out west

MSU at 7-4 with a win this week and a loss to Griz
Portland State at 7-4 if they win out
NAU at 7-4 if they win out (PSU and NAU play this week)
Cal Poly at 7-4, Would need to beat either the Griz or NDSU

IMO - Not a great shot for any of these teams at 7-4

Cal Poly is 6-2 with 3 games left. Beating either the Griz or NDSU would make them 8-3 because theirs no way they lose to savanah st. Also at 7-4 they would only have 6 DI wins.

Walkon79
November 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM
My bad. I think there's a good chance they lose both of those. Gotta pull for the Griz this week.

Bison05
November 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM
My bad. I think there's a good chance they lose both of those. Gotta pull for the Griz this week.

Come on now, where's your sense of rivalry? :smiley_wi

GrizFamily
November 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Come on now, where's your sense of rivalry? :smiley_wiHe has a great sense of rivalry. It's Montana against the world, just like it should be. ;-)

Khan4Cats
November 1st, 2006, 11:58 AM
But do the Griz get in at 7-4 if they lose out? Hey, its possible. Northern could come with their knives, bats, tanks, ....

"Does the committee give an 11-0 USD a bid...over any of the possible 7-4 teams."

That's partly why I ask. If there is a USD, or Charleston Southern, undefeated, do they get the nod over a 7-4 team from one of the auto conferences? There is a good chance the committee will face this decision.

nmatsen
November 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
San Diego will not make the play-offs. Unless a 7-4 team wins it league auto bid no 7-4 team will make the play-offs. I just wish everyone would realize this. Every year it is talked about, every year is the same result.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM
But here is the million dollar question.

Does the committee give an 11-0 USD a bid...over any of the possible 7-4 teams.

I say they dont...for numerous reasons.

USD can only be 10-0 on selection day 11/19. UCD game is scheduled for 11/25. 8-0 vs D-I. 7 of those 8 vs PFL members. Only game vs a "schollie" would be win vs Yale.

This isn't a compelling argument. I'd much more impressed by a team with two IA games (and one win) and wins against some of the 4 top 25 teams played (including two top 10 games).

Bobcat in NC
November 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Ack! I figured that the one place I could go to avoid any more discussion about the dang torreros would be a thread about 7-4 teams.

I'll keep looking, but it seems Harbaugh is everywhere...

:bang:

Khan4Cats
November 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM
San Diego will not make the play-offs. Unless a 7-4 team wins it league auto bid no 7-4 team will make the play-offs. I just wish everyone would realize this. Every year it is talked about, every year is the same result.

I don't know about every year or not, I'm looking at this year and there are currently only 2 (auto-bid conf) teams with 8 wins and 5 with 7 wins at the moment. Some of those don't count (sub D-I). There are a number of teams at 5 and 6 wins, many play against each other in the next three weeks. There is a strong likelihood of less than 16 teams achieving 8 wins coming from the auto bid conferences. The question I was asking was just that: Does your team deserve consideration at 7-4? If your saying never, ever, I'm saying that means we have a field of less than 16 teams or include some other schools that people may think of as less deserving than a 7-4. I'm already on record as saying I think UNI at 7-4 is slim to no chance, though I would think they are still more deserving than a USD or Charleston Southern.

November 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM
San Diego will not make the play-offs...San Diego will not go 7-4 so let's not discuss them in this thread.

YoUDeeMan
November 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
San Diego will not go 7-4 so let's not discuss them in this thread.

Trying to “Mod” this thread? :nono:

It is ridiculous to ask people to not mention USD or any other team with a potential record better than 7-4. It is a natural extension of the thread topic to compare potential 7-4 teams to non-7-4 teams that may/may not take a spot in the playoffs.

November 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Trying to “Mod” this thread? :nono:
It is ridiculous to ask people to not mention USD or any other team with a potential record better than 7-4. It is a natural extension of the thread topic to compare potential 7-4 teams to non-7-4 teams that may/may not take a spot in the playoffs.Excuuuuuuuuuse me. I think I shall post how I wish to post, thank you.

My understanding of this thread is to talk about possible 7-4 teams and which would best, hence have the best chance to be selected.

You may go scold somewhere else if you wish.

CSUBUCDAD
November 1st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Hell, if we left it up to most of you, CSU wouldn't get in at 12-0

walliver
November 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM

Although I agree it's very unlikely any 7-4 team will get an invitation, one of the things I've learned from years following I-AA, is that as soon as someone says the committee would NEVER do something, the committee turns around and does it.

blueballs
November 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
The only way a team is getting in w/a 7-4 or worse record is by an autobid as a conference champion. The commitee has proven over and over that anything worse than 3 losses- even if they are 1-A losses as the commitee groups all of division one together- is the kiss of death.

As for San Diego, the commitee has never selected a "mid major" to my knowledge regardless of record, so I wouldn't look for that to happen either.

If they are going to go outside precedent at all it should be to let NDSU in, not San Diego with their weak schedule or a 4 loss team.xidiotx

Dane96
November 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
nm