PDA

View Full Version : CCU/WIU agree to home-and-home

bodoyle
August 5th, 2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/08/04/4393418/coastal-carolina-football-lining.html?sp=/99/167/

2015 in Conway and 2017 in the corn fields of Macomb. I like that CCU is branching out and trying to play other schools besides Furple, SC State, and hopefully never again with Florida A&M, and NC A&T.

Sly Fox
August 5th, 2014, 09:33 AM
But as an Illinois guy, you do know what an awful place Macomb is to travel. HaHa

Congrats on the solid Home-and-Home. We Liberty folks know how difficult it is for a Big South school to land these.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Maybe the strategy is for Moglia to show that not everyone gets to play in Conway xlolx

bodoyle
August 5th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Yea, and my brother is a WIU alumnus. I went there with him for Freshman orientation back in...1999. It was the only college I saw growing up other than Notre Dame. I figured most colleges were like WIU until I went to CCU and saw the beach, no farms, golf courses etc haha

I wouldn't mind home-and-homes with Lehigh too!

clenz
August 5th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Macomb is a dump of a college town no matter what standard is used

bodoyle
August 5th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Macomb is a dump of a college town no matter what standard is used
It has to have improved since I was there though. It was just corn fields and some really tall dorms.

clenz
August 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
It has to have improved since I was there though. It was just corn fields and some really tall dorms.
You would think, but....

The Macomb population has gone down since 2000...it's down almost 10% from 1980

It's still just corn fields and a couple tall dorms.

WestCoastAggie
August 5th, 2014, 10:07 AM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/08/04/4393418/coastal-carolina-football-lining.html?sp=/99/167/

2015 in Conway and 2017 in the corn fields of Macomb. I like that CCU is branching out and trying to play other schools besides Furple, SC State, and hopefully never again with Florida A&M, and NC A&T.

Come on buddy. I like my Aggies playing you all. I know the series record is lopsided but things can change.

bodoyle
August 5th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Nothing personal WCA. If the series was closer, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Yea, and my brother is a WIU alumnus. I went there with him for Freshman orientation back in...1999. It was the only college I saw growing up other than Notre Dame. I figured most colleges were like WIU until I went to CCU and saw the beach, no farms, golf courses etc haha

I wouldn't mind home-and-homes with Lehigh too!

xthumbsupx Count me in!

WestCoastAggie
August 5th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Nothing personal WCA. If the series was closer, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Cool. Just know that A&T will give you all one great shot this year to finally get into the win column against you all. Honestly, an improved Aggie squad and SC State team will give you all great competition and hopefully get us all ready for a possible playoff run.

I also like that you all are willing to play us at our house.

thirdgendin
August 5th, 2014, 10:57 PM

It also extends the Furman-CCU series two more years through 2016, making it six consecutive seasons in the series. I'm hopeful that this will be a marquee non-conference matchup nationally over the next few seasons.

bodoyle
August 6th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I don't know why, but I am getting tired of playing you guys. It isn't that the series is lopsided, or that the teams are not good, or poor attendance, but for some reason I am getting tired of playing you guys. Maybe the series needs a year two hiatus?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I don't know why, but I am getting tired of playing you guys. It isn't that the series is lopsided, or that the teams are not good, or poor attendance, but for some reason I am getting tired of playing you guys. Maybe the series needs a year two hiatus?

This does not bode well for your SoCon membership. xlolx

Sly Fox
August 6th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Beating the Paladins hasn;t been good for their progress either.

As for Macomb, I can remember going to high school nearby in the armpit of the world ... Quincy. And even we looked on Macomb as being awful.

bodoyle
August 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM
This does not bode well for your SoCon membership. xlolx

Haha, that ship has sailed.

citdog
August 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
USC- coastal loses in week one in 2014.

Big Dawg
August 7th, 2014, 12:38 AM

Yeah because our fans are really thrilled about Coastal Carolina...xrolleyesxxcoffeex

Big Dawg
August 7th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Come on buddy. I like my Aggies playing you all. I know the series record is lopsided but things can change.

Don't worry about it Aggie...his team has never played FAMU...and he's still opposed to it

thirdgendin
August 7th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Maybe so. I think it's becoming a bigger game for our fan base with the departures of ASU and GSU and with CCU's playoff success recently. Some of our fans want variety every year though. I believe we're adding Jacksonville State to the OOC schedule in future as well as Elon.

coastalalum
August 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Don't worry about it Aggie...his team has never played FAMU...and he's still opposed to it

It seems like most CCU fans like the SC State game because of the regional ties. Coastal is something like 17-1 against the MEAC in their short 11 year football playing history. I don't pretend to speak for bodoyle, but that is likely the main reason that he isn't all that excited about these games (A&T and FAMU).

bodoyle
August 7th, 2014, 08:24 AM

BigDawg: With the Big South being a bad conference for the most part, most CCU fans believe that we need to schedule good OOC teams to help our playoff chances if we don't win the BSC, and nothing personal, but playing FAMU isn't going to help us a lot.

Why are you guys opposed to playing us? We made the playoffs and have 3 wins in the past 2 post season years.

- - - Updated - - -

Coastal alum would be correct.

WestCoastAggie
August 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM
It seems like most CCU fans like the SC State game because of the regional ties. Coastal is something like 17-1 against the MEAC in their short 11 year football playing history. I don't pretend to speak for bodoyle, but that is likely the main reason that he isn't all that excited about these games (A&T and FAMU).

Well A&T is excited to have you all back. We will have a great team this year and much better than the 2012 squad. The stadium will be packed since you all will be the highest ranked team we hosted in a while. Also, playing us and SC State back to back won't be easy. Both squads will have strong men in the trenches and play well on defense.

Twentysix
August 7th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Fantastic news! Another great OOC FCS matchup, especially if WIU can improve their squad!

bodoyle
August 7th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Well A&T is excited to have you all back. We will have a great team this year and much better than the 2012 squad. The stadium will be packed since you all will be the highest ranked team we hosted in a while. Also, playing us and SC State back to back won't be easy. Both squads will have strong men in the trenches and play well on defense.

I am debating making the trip to the NC A&T game, not sure if any of the guys I tailgate with are going or not though.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic news! Another great OOC FCS matchup, especially if WIU can improve their squad!

Agreed. I am trying to get my brother down her (WIU grad) for the game next year. WIU has to get better - they can't get much worse ;)

ST_Lawson
August 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
You would think, but....

Down since 2000?
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/illinois/macomb
"As of 2014, Macomb's population is 19,260 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 3.79 percent."
We are growing...slowly...but growing.

And yes, we're a small town in the midwest. Some people like that.

Agreed. I am trying to get my brother down her (WIU grad) for the game next year. WIU has to get better - they can't get much worse ;)

This is true.

clenz
August 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Fine..down since 2007.

PAllen
August 7th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Maybe so. I think it's becoming a bigger game for our fan base with the departures of ASU and GSU and with CCU's playoff success recently. Some of our fans want variety every year though. I believe we're adding Jacksonville State to the OOC schedule in future as well as Elon.

Ummm... xeyebrowx

thirdgendin
August 7th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Ummm... xeyebrowx

I didn't say we had achieved it! xlolx I believe this is the fourth year in a row with both PC and Coastal on the schedule.

Big Dawg
August 8th, 2014, 12:51 AM
BigDawg: With the Big South being a bad conference for the most part, most CCU fans believe that we need to schedule good OOC teams to help our playoff chances if we don't win the BSC, and nothing personal, but playing FAMU isn't going to help us a lot.

Why are you guys opposed to playing us? We made the playoffs and have 3 wins in the past 2 post season years.

- - - Updated - - -

Coastal alum would be correct.

Understandable, but your comment came off as a dig at FAMU. Almost like saying we aren't worthy to share a field with you all. We've never played you all and it's a new season, you don't how we can hurt or help your schedule yet.

We're not opposed to playing CCU...but our casual does know who you are compared to a Tennessee State or Southern coming to town

PAllen
August 8th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I didn't say we had achieved it! xlolx I believe this is the fourth year in a row with both PC and Coastal on the schedule.

Glad you caught the joke there. Scheduling can be tough. One or two new teams every year is always a good thing.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM
You would think, but....

Yeah, it's got nothing on Iowa... xrolleyesx

clenz
August 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM
You ever been to Macomb?

If not, you'd realize any Iowa town of comprable size is an oasis compared to it

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 12:03 PM
You ever been to Macomb?

If not, you'd realize any Iowa town of comprable size is an oasis compared to it

Take away the WIU student population (which no doubt was included in the Macomb city population) and you're left with something about like Charles City, IA, which I have driven through several times. Not much to see.

clenz
August 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Take away the WIU student population (which no doubt was included in the Macomb city population) and you're left with something about like Charles City, IA, which I have driven through several times. Not much to see.
Exactly the point.

You're left with a city that isn't big enough to house a D3 university (and has no university) with 1 high school with an enrollment of 392.

The original point was there was nothing there...which there isn't.

Not shocking you're trying to make something out of nothing and be a ****ing douche about it.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Exactly the point.

You're left with a city that isn't big enough to house a D3 university (and has no university) with 1 high school with an enrollment of 392.

The original point was there was nothing there...which there isn't.

I didn't argue that there is something in Macomb.

I implied Iowa isn't any better, which you countered and then I provided an example showing that I was correct.

clenz
August 8th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I didn't argue that there is something in Macomb.

I implied Iowa isn't any better, which you countered and then I provided an example showing that I was correct.
You did so by pulling a town that has zero colleges, of any kind, with a population of 7,000 to a city with a D1 university and a population of 19k.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about the town the college is in, nothing will.

Bisonoline
August 10th, 2014, 10:50 PM
You did so by pulling a town that has zero colleges, of any kind, with a population of 7,000 to a city with a D1 university and a population of 19k.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about the town the college is in, nothing will.

Come on hes gotta be correct so can get a woody.

underdawg
August 11th, 2014, 06:36 AM
But as an Illinois guy, you do know what an awful place Macomb is to travel. HaHa

Congrats on the solid Home-and-Home. We Liberty folks know how difficult it is for a Big South school to land these.

HA-ha! Yes I'm from up near Macomb and students called it "Nowhereville"---no interstate within 50 miles (Galesburg) no airport to speak of.

MplsBison
August 12th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Take WIU's students out of Macomb's stated population and you get a town with a population of around 7-8k. A similarly populated town in Iowa is just as drab. Or Minnesota, or ND/SD, or Nebraska ...

I guess, you think that because 13k students temporarily bolster an 8k town's population to 21k each year and then leave each year, that the town should have all the bells and whistles of a town with 21k permanent residents?