PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Media Day Discussion

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Still no release announcing it, but it's coming next week.

Some questions approaching Patriot League Media Day, aka Lehigh Valley Media Day:

1. Will the Fordham Rams sweep the media and coaches polls? Will any New York writers actually attend?

2. Does Lafayette have the depth at receiver to shake off run defenses? Is the Sacred Heart opener a potential trap game?

3. With a couple of bad breaks, Lehigh could open the season at 1-3. But are the Engineers the only team likely to make a run at Fordham on the PL schedule?

4. With a soft non-conference schedule (VMI, Marist, Sacred Heart, Cornell, Bryant), Bucknell could be on a roll heading into PL action. That said, is there any sustainable offense that can get them into the first tier?

5. Holy Cross faces a stretch of five of six games on the road, with the only home game being vs. Fordham. The QB is there, but is the defense?

6. I think Colgate is underrated, but Red Raider fans appear to be expecting the worst. With five of its last six on the road, is this too much to overcome?

7. Other than one of the writers asking "Hey, where's Kevin Kelly?" no team figures to receive less coverage than Georgetown heading into this season. Do the reporters collectively shrug their shoulders, write down "0-11" and move to the table offering some Game 150 swag, or start to pay attention to what the new staff is doing, amidst a season where the competitive imbalance could become a real issue?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM
1. Yes. No.
2. No. Yes.
3. Lehigh can't be called a contender to make a run at Fordham with nobody on the national preseason A-A teams. They need to make a mark in the first four games somehow, then see how everything comes together. Maybe they will.
4. Maybe. It all depends on Nitti's development.
5 + 6. All those road games seem to smell trouble for both squads. By all indications Colgate seems like they're in a rebuilding year. Holy Cross seems to have a great influx of talent, but they're young.
7. Probably the former. The media folks liked Kevin Kelly well enough. Now the "new" guy will have to make himself friendly to the media there next week.

Fordham
July 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Interesting stuff. Does Sacred Heart return much on the OL? If so, look out! I wouldn't call them a trap game for Lafayette - that's going to be a bruising game where there's a good chance SH should be the favorite. I write that as a big fan of Lafayette's squad as well. Is that one on TV? If so, I will definitely be watching - that will be one helluva smash mouth game with SH's Earl Campbell going up against Lafayette's hard nosed D.

LFN, you should discuss with Coach M that the last two Fordham squads to have outstanding seasons prior to last year were also comprised mostly of underclassmen (mostly Juniors). The 2002 squad and the 2007 championship teams both returned a ton of kids and were expected to be the favorites and one of the top teams in the country. Both squads disappointed and neither made the playoffs. How does he keep this squad from doing the same as those two? Maybe part of the answer is that the same hex is not in effect since we didn't win the PL title last year while the other two teams did but still interesting and certainly a thought in the back (read: back, middle and front) of my pessimistic brain.

It's going to be a very interesting year for the PL. I think year two of scholarships can still be that messy time when 1/2 your squad is on scholarship and thinks they're better than the upperclassmen and it can really mess with chemistry, etc. There may be a team or two that pops and gels better than expected but I think most teams are another year away from really having things take off. Once it does, I really believe the PL will start earning more and more respect. Until then ...

blackbeard
July 24th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Interesting stuff. Does Sacred Heart return much on the OL?

Only 4 of the 5 OL return....9 of 11 return on Offense, lost 1 OL and 1 WR

Lehigh'98
July 24th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Sacred may have rushed for 500 against Lehigh last year. That would have been a spectacle.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Sacred Heart presents the Pards with defensive matchup problems. This year's opener against them probably will reveal a great many things.

Last year's game was tied at 17 after three. The final was a 26-24 loss. It was Sacred Heart's ground game that did us in. Keshaudas Spence had 18 carries for 168 yards, averaging (an astonishing) 9.3 yards per carry. He also caught 2 passes for 13 yards. Sean Bell had 8 rushes for 39 yard, averaging 4.2 yard per carry. SHU Quarterback R.J. Noel was somewhat limited through the air, but he ran 17 times for 134 yards and a TD and he averaged 7.1 yards per carry. The Pioneers had a total of 12 rushing first downs.

Sacred Heart QB R.J. Noel now is a junior; TB Keshaudas Spence now is a senior; and TB Sean Bell now is a senior. In addition, 4 of 5 Sacred Heart OL return - including LT Dan Polaski who returns as a graduate student.

Lafayette has a new defensive coordinator (Art Link, formerly LB coach at Hew Hampshire). The scuttle circulating on the Lafayette Board is that the entire defensive scheme is being revamped. Pards now will run a 4-2-5 base defense similar to the defense used by UNH. I don't think there's any question that brain trust in the Bourger Frankosauruium already is keyed on stopping Sacred Heart's strong running game (and Keshaudas Spence in particular).

Pards will have Drew Reed starting at QB from the get-go, which is a definite plus. Reed was a mid-season replacement last year; he excelled right from the first snap. But he no longer has his two best targets, WR Mark Ross and TE Brandon Hall. Both have graduated. I imagine that Coach Tavani will be responding to media day questions about who, on the current roster, is prepared to step into the shoes of Ross and Hall as well as questions about the new defense.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Will the Fordham Rams sweep the media and coaches polls? Will any New York writers actually attend?

The New York Post, perhaps?

http://nypost.com/2013/12/04/fordham-football-keeps-a-fan-named-vin-scully-tuned-in/

If past media days are indicative there will be 30-35 media representatives, including CBS Sports and ESPN Radio. Georgetown could be the only team without a local media correspondent.

bison137
July 24th, 2014, 02:28 PM
4. With a soft non-conference schedule (VMI, Marist, Sacred Heart, Cornell, Bryant), Bucknell could be on a roll heading into PL action. That said, is there any sustainable offense that can get them into the first tier?

Probably. BU returns:

- Their top twelve guys on the OL - including two All-PL players (one of whom made it as a freshman)
- Their top 2 RB's - including one All-PL player (made it as a freshman)
- Their top 3 TE's in an offense that often uses two.
- Both of their starting WR's, plus the previous year's top WR who missed 2013 due to injury, plus a sub who caught 9 passes for 120 yards vs Colgate when he got a chance to start due to an injury.

Obviously the one thing the offense doesn't have is a proven QB. Frosh RJ Nitti was thrown into the fray early-on last year when Wesley was hurt and he clearly wasn't ready. However he was a very good HS QB whose development as a college QB was set back significantly due to not being able to practice during the spring and much of the summer due to knee surgery. If he is average this year, the Bucknell offense will be more than "sustainable".

bison137
July 24th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Only 4 of the 5 OL return....9 of 11 return on Offense, lost 1 OL and 1 WR

Also their OL has a lot of 5th year players, which obviously should make it tougher. In fact their 6-9 OT graduated from HS in 2009.

SH's roster no longer indicates who has redshirted but a few years ago, they had 49 redshirts on the roster.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 24th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Bucknell has a great chance to rack up wins this year.

Lehigh has their bye the week before the Bison come to Goodman. The truth lies somewhere between those 3.5 hours last season and the previous 15 years. That game is circled.....

bison137
July 24th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Bucknell has a great chance to rack up wins this year.

Lehigh has their bye the week before the Bison come to Goodman. The truth lies somewhere between those 3.5 hours last season and the previous 15 years. That game is circled.....

The Bison bye week is the week after this game. I wish it was the week before.

RichH2
July 24th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Bison game will be one for redemption and revenge for Lehigh. Bye week comes in handy.

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Georgetown unveiled its "new helmet design" today, possibly in the hope that it will create some D.C press buzz at the PL media day:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtVkBZwIUAMx3ID.jpg

I'm not sure I can see how it's different from the old one, though.

RichH2
July 24th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Think they are just noting that there are no players to wear the helmet :)

Bogus Megapardus
July 24th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Think they are just noting that there are no players to wear the helmet :)

Rich, you could be on to something. Maybe the new head coach is going to put just the helmets out on the field, without players. A fascinating diversionary tactic.

The Hoyas might get away with it in league games but don't you think those Ivy schools will catch on? I hear that some of those guys are pretty smart. xrolleyesx

RichH2
July 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM
"She who must be obeyed" just opined that the picture is more likely part of new coach;s plea to get volunteers to play football. for Hoyas.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2014, 09:40 AM
All kidding aside, it's a head coaches' job at these things to "sell the program", and that's Sgarlata's job at this event. Kelly did a pretty good job selling the program before.

Bogus Megapardus
July 25th, 2014, 12:35 PM
All kidding aside, it's a head coaches' job at these things to "sell the program", and that's Sgarlata's job at this event. Kelly did a pretty good job selling the program before.

I agree completely. Absolutely that is Sgarlata's job, just as it is the job of every other head coach in the league. It's Media Day and the head coaches (along with the select players that they bring to the event) are there to impress upon the collected media representatives why this years' Hoyas (or Raiders, Crusaders, Bison, etc.) are the team to watch, to follow and to report about. And collectively it's about the expectation of improved overall PL competitiveness against OOC competition (Ivy and CAA in particular).

No doubt each program will be on the precipice of a "breakthrough season" with a "collection of outstanding student-athletes" committed to making this the "best season ever" for (Leopard/Ram/Mountain Hawk) football.

Plus there's the whole #150 distraction which benefits two members in particular. xnodx

Mattymc727
July 25th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I like the first paragraph of this article: http://www.concordmonitor.com/sports/12884407-95/unh-football-team-hungry-to-improve-on-momentous-2013-season

"The quarterback, the leading rusher, the leading receiver and four offensive lineman with starting experience all return this season for a University of New Hampshire offense that averaged 30.8 points per game last year. Nine of 11 starters, including the tackle, sack and interception leaders, return for a UNH defense that helped the Wildcats turn a 1-3 start into a 10-5 finish, the school’s first appearance in the FCS semifinals and a No. 5 national ranking to end the 2013 season."

Bogus Megapardus
July 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM
The burning question now is - will a representative of Gorshein-O-Vision be available at PL Media Day to respond to questions about the alleged broadcast agreements with the Patriot League, CAA, Big South and SoCon? Or is the whole thing just a cruel ruse?

I have my doubts. xchinscratchx

Pard4Life
July 26th, 2014, 06:01 PM
How is Sacred Heart of a trap game? We know they are good; they were a playoff team. We lost to them last year. And it's a road game.

Bogus Megapardus
July 26th, 2014, 11:33 PM
How is Sacred Heart of a trap game? We know they are good; they were a playoff team. We lost to them last year. And it's a road game.

Hoyas are thinking Harvard is a trap game. xrolleyesx

carney2
July 27th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Still no release announcing it, but it's coming next week.

Some questions approaching Patriot League Media Day, aka Lehigh Valley Media Day:

1. Will the Fordham Rams sweep the media and coaches polls? Will any New York writers actually attend?

2. Does Lafayette have the depth at receiver to shake off run defenses? Is the Sacred Heart opener a potential trap game?

3. With a couple of bad breaks, Lehigh could open the season at 1-3. But are the Engineers the only team likely to make a run at Fordham on the PL schedule?

5. Holy Cross faces a stretch of five of six games on the road, with the only home game being vs. Fordham. The QB is there, but is the defense?

6. I think Colgate is underrated, but Red Raider fans appear to be expecting the worst. With five of its last six on the road, is this too much to overcome?

7. Other than one of the writers asking "Hey, where's Kevin Kelly?" no team figures to receive less coverage than Georgetown heading into this season. Do the reporters collectively shrug their shoulders, write down "0-11" and move to the table offering some Game 150 swag, or start to pay attention to what the new staff is doing, amidst a season where the competitive imbalance could become a real issue?

Nicely done, DFW. Don't need no stinkin' media day and polls with you around.

FORDHAM wins both polls easily and the NY press pays only sidebar/novelty attention even when they are Top 10 and going deep into the playoffs.

LAFAYETTE freshmen will provide some relief at receiver by October, but the pass will take a back seat to the run as The Frankosaurus finally gets to do his thing against a fairly weak schedule. Sacred Heart is cracking many Top 25s and will be a decided favorite against the Leopards. No trap here.

If LEHIGH doesn't find a QB and some defense they could be in big trouble. They need to surprise someone (Yale is the best shot) in those first three games or it could be a long year on Squawk Mountain.

Many picking BUCKNELL to surprise. They'll win games as they feast on OOC cupcakes, but without a QB the better teams in the League will pretty much chew them up. October 11 @ Lehigh is the season for them.

HOLY CROSS could be better than 5th. The freshmen will no longer be "inexperienced" in November. October 4 @ Colgate is key.

We're not accustomed to seeing COLGATE near the bottom of the Patriot pile. Will only believe it when it happens.

GEORGETOWN - As I said in another thread, God loves them, but God help them.

bison137
July 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Many picking BUCKNELL to surprise. They'll win games as they feast on OOC cupcakes, but without a QB the better teams in the League will pretty much chew them up. October 11 @ Lehigh is the season for them.

Only time will tell but you could be very wrong. First, neither of us has any idea how well Nitti will play this year. He looked good in the spring game and was very good in HS prior to the knee injury that cost him six months of practice. How he will play this year is anyone's guess. Secondly, all Bucknell needs is average QB play to have a good year. They return 17 or 18 starters of the 22 (depending on whether you look at the lineup with a FB or with two TE's) and have six returning All-PL players.

RichH2
July 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM
���� Little doubt that Bison will be tough on every other team. Expect brutal games. Only 2 questions for me ,QB and wil we beat you. :)

Bogus Megapardus
July 27th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Little doubt that Bison will be tough on every other team. Expect brutal games. Only 2 questions for me, QB and will we beat you.

Any team can and will beat any other in the PL this year - Georgetown included. Just look at the who-beat-whom from last season . . . Georgetown beat Holy Cross, which beat Bucknell, which beat Lehigh, which beat Colgate, which beat Lafayette, which beat Fordham.

Transitivity run amok? Perhaps. All I can say is to be ready for some upsets this season.

RichH2
July 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Certainly true for last year(didn't work out too well for LUxmadx ). Expect a topsy turvy season again . Rams and Bison seem best set ,right now,to be top of PL. We'll see how we all stack up at the start of PL sched.

Bogus Megapardus
July 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Rams and Bison seem best set, right now, to be top of PL.

Making that scenario even more interesting is that the Rams, obviously and unquestionably, have the target firmly affixed to their backsides this year. We all know it and I'm dead certain that they know it as well. The Bison rarely if ever have been "the target" starting out a PL season. So they're the ones who can sneak up on you.

Sader87
July 27th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Fordham and GTown look like the alpha and omega respectively in the PL this year.....othah than that though, I think all bets are off as to who is beating whom on any given weekend.

HC will be bettah is my hunch....you are what you are as Parcells is often quoted, but the Saders woulda, shoulda, coulda been about 6-6 instead of 3-9 last year. The Freshmen (potentially) and Soph classes look to be strong and the defense has to be bettah than it's been the last couple of years.

Through my purple-tinted glasses, I have us going 4-2 in the PL right now....losing at Laffy and FU.

citdog
July 27th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Fordham and GTown look like the alpha and omega respectively in the PL this year.....othah than that though, I think all bets are off as to who is beating whom on any given weekend.

HC will be bettah is my hunch....you are what you are as Parcells is often quoted, but the Saders woulda, shoulda, coulda been about 6-6 instead of 3-9 last year. The Freshmen (potentially) and Soph classes look to be strong and the defense has to be bettah than it's been the last couple of years.

Through my purple-tinted glasses, I have us going 4-2 in the PL right now....losing at Laffy and FU.

I also think being so young last season helped y'all. A great many younguns got a chance to play for y'all last year. That will pay dividends this year.

RichH2
July 27th, 2014, 10:06 PM
True enuf citdog for Cross and everyone else but FU and GU. Agree thoCross couldshow most gain as they did play more froshthan the rest

bison137
July 27th, 2014, 11:58 PM
True enuf citdog for Cross and everyone else but FU and GU. Agree thoCross couldshow most gain as they did play more froshthan the rest

Not so. HC had a couple of noticeable frosh starting, but other than those two, frosh saw very little playing time. Only two others were on the final two-deep of the season. In contrast, Bucknell started five frosh for much of the season and two of them made All-PL, two of only three frosh who made All-PL. Also had three others on the two-deep.

Looking at the HC lineup, it appears that they lost 10 starters plus their PK/Punter. They weren't a particularly young team last year by PL standards. They will definitely need some of last year's frosh who played sparingly to step up.

carney2
July 28th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Looking at the HC lineup, it appears that they lost 10 starters plus their PK/Punter. They weren't a particularly young team last year by PL standards. They will definitely need some of last year's frosh who played sparingly to step up.

In my not so informed opinion this year's frosh are the key for Cross. A potentially outstanding group that puts the program one year away from serious contention.

And you people are slowly changing my opinion of the Bufs. Can't get the image of that absolutely dreadful team I saw in Easton last October out of my mind however.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2014, 08:38 AM
My opinion of the Buffalo has not changed. If Nitti plays pretty, Bison are contenders.

If he doesn't...

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2014, 08:40 AM

Here's the big concern south of the Mason-Dixon line: putting aside the 0 vs. 30 scholarship discussion and the two weak recruiting classes which have followed, Georgetown lost 25 seniors from a team that was one play removed from a 1-10 finish, with its only win versus a winless Davidson team.

Graduating were Georgetown's 1st string QB, both starting backs, three of its four top receivers, the tight end, and the punter/kicker, which collectively accounted for 73 percent of the scoring from a team ranked last in the PL in scoring offense.

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 09:42 AM
xbowx 137
I defer to your research. My recollection of our game with Cross saw a lot of their frosh on the field. Many more than we played.

PAllen
July 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Here's the big concern south of the Mason-Dixon line: putting aside the 0 vs. 30 scholarship discussion and the two weak recruiting classes which have followed, Georgetown lost 25 seniors from a team that was one play removed from a 1-10 finish, with its only win versus a winless Davidson team.

Graduating were Georgetown's 1st string QB, both starting backs, three of its four top receivers, the tight end, and the punter/kicker, which collectively accounted for 73 percent of the scoring from a team ranked last in the PL in scoring offense.

Sometimes graduating an entire offense can be a good thing when they've been struggling like Georgetown has. That said, with GU's less than stellar recruiting classes the last two years, it doesn't look like such a good thing.

breezy
July 28th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Re: Holy Cross

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if my crystal ball has been properly adjusted.

Last year's freshmen QB Pujals, RB Guild, WR Wieczorek, and OLB Kyle Young got substantial playing time. Frosh RB Flaherty saw playing time early in the year but then missed a good part of the season due to injury. Frosh TE Lucas Nikolaisen and DB Luke Ford played in almost every game and each started at least once. Remember, this is from a class of 16 recruits -- which included 5 OLs who did not play much if at all. The spring version of the two-deep includes 4 of these 5 OLs (one as starter), and I am looking for them collectively to have a "break-out" year if they can avoid injury. Add in one DL who got some playing time last year, and that means at least 12 of the 16 frosh will be major contributors in 2014 (again, subject to injury).

With the incoming freshman class, you never know what you are getting until you see them on the field -- but I'm expecting several to be major contributors this year as well. There's been a good deal of discussion regarding McBeath, but I expect some help from the freshmen at each level of the defense (DL, LB, DB). I also see the potential for freshmen to contribute at TE, RB, and I expect one or two of the WRs to get some significant playing time as well.

It may sound like a contradiction, but this HC team, with 29 seniors on the roster, will be a young team on the field.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM
this HC team, with 29 seniors on the roster, will be a young team on the field.

Wow, that's a lot. Some google research would tell me how many of those 29 are former starters who will be giving way to scholarship players, but do you/anyone have a rough estimate?

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 04:01 PM
*BREAKING NEWS*

Patriot League Football Media Day will be held on Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at Green Pond Country Club in Bethlehem, PA.

Bucknell: Head Coach Joe Susan, Senior Linebackers Evan Byers and Lee Marvel
Colgate: Head Coach Dan Hunt, Senior Defensive Back Mike Armiento and Senior Tight End Kevin O'Connell
Fordham: Head Coach Joe Moorhead, Senior Quarterback Mike Nebrich, Senior Defensive Back Ian Williams, Senior Tight End Dan Light and Senior Linebacker Stephen Hodge
Georgetown: Head Coach Rob Sgarlata and Senior Offensive Linemen Nick Quintans and Mike Roland
Holy Cross: Head Coach Tom Gilmore, Senior Running Back Michael O'Dwyer, Junior Defensive Back Matt Bhaya and Sophomore Quarterback Peter Pujals
Lafayette: Head Coach Frank Tavani, Senior Running Back Ross Scheuerman, Senior Offensive Lineman Luke Chiarolanzio, Senior Defensive Lineman James Coscia and Junior Defensive Back Matt Smalley
Lehigh: Head Coach Andy Coen, Senior Offensive Lineman Ned Daryoush and Senior Linebacker Isaiah Campbell

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072814aad.html

The preseason honors will all be announced at 9:00 AM. Fans can send in questions for coaches/players on the Patriot League Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/PatriotLeagueFB

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Omissions from the select players attending -

My first observation is the exclusion of Lafayette QB Drew Reed. Others?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM

DE Tim Newton Lehigh....

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 04:54 PM
LFN - Presumably you and your press credentials will be attending. Kindly divulge here every iota of insight and quarantined information in your possession. Immediately, if not sooner. Thank you.

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 04:57 PM
a bit surprised with Newton. He may not have wanted to comeup from Florida. Campbelland daryoush deserve tobe there also and they are local

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 04:59 PM
A bit surprised with Newton. He may not have wanted to come up from Florida. Campbell and Daryoush deserve to be there also and they are local.

Lehigh and/or the PL pays for the trip and expenses, I would assume.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Update from the Patriot League press release -

"The video content with interviews from all of the attendees will be available shortly after Media Day."

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072814aad.html

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Dont know either way just speculating. Easy answer,of course, is that Andy wanted Daryoush and Campbell,

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Also no QB or TB from Colgate or Bucknell. Hmm . . .

breezy
July 28th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Wow, that's a lot. Some google research would tell me how many of those 29 are former starters who will be giving way to scholarship players, but do you/anyone have a rough estimate?

Checking the spring 2-deep, it looks like approximately 10 seniors are listed as starters -- 4 OL (including 1 senior who is eligible for a red-shirt year next year), 1 TE, 1 WR, 2 LB, 2 DB. It could very well be less than 10 by the time the season starts. There are only a few former starters who are now listed as backups.

By the way, the HC player attendees at Media Day are the three 2014 captains.

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 06:02 PM
OK,wish we had a 2 deep for LU. A bit jealous. Not surprised as neither Gate or BU actually have a QB yet.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 06:19 PM
OK,wish we had a 2 deep for LU. A bit jealous. Not surprised as neither Gate or BU actually have a QB yet.

And still waiting for a Lehigh QB and featured TB?

Gate fans - what about your featured TB for this season? Raiders win behind their TBs. Does Dan Hunt have different things in mind?

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Yosha #1 coming out of spring. QB ,well Matt zero work. Nick injury very little work. Poutier not ready. AJ great guy and certainly knows O,probably better than new OC.

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 06:26 PM
We should realize that this thread probably more interesting than the actual media day will be.:)

Pard4Life
July 28th, 2014, 07:06 PM

Noticed that too. My guess is the obvious Tavani values senior leadership and experience... and gives the red meat opportunities to the vets... if you can see media day as a red meat opportunity. I think our players are captains too.

Pard4Life
July 28th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Over/under 10,000 words for LFN on a Pulitzer Prize attempt to document PL expansion, scholarships, concussion protocol, and TV coverage issues?

Lehigh'98
July 28th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Over -1500

Pard4Life
July 28th, 2014, 07:21 PM
If not for Nitti, I'd put Lafayette and Bucknell in play for second place. We've seen how bad Bucknell can be with poor QB play (Lafayette game)... but even in that instance, it was more of an effect of play calling, IMO... Lehigh still has questions, but I'd put them in fourth for now. Colgate is the real mystery team this year.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Colgate is the real mystery team this year.

Agreed; and perhaps to a lesser extent Holy Cross because we've seen Pujals in eight starts.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Also I would like to hear Carolyn Femovich be forthright, non-vague and non-elusive about Gorshein-O-Vision. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

RichH2
July 28th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I am afraid shehas been transparent on ASN and there is just little to see.

BU in search of an Offense
Cross in search of a Defense
Gate and Lehigh counting on untried QBs
Pards new Defense but still Tavani on the sidelines
Fordham looking to sail thru to playoffs.
Georgetown ,a deer staring into the headlightsand a new coach with very few returning starters

bison137
July 28th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Also I would like to hear Carolyn Femovich be forthright, non-vague and non-elusive about Gorshein-O-Vision. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I haven't really been following whatever discussion there has been on ASN. What are the questions/issues?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Some random thoughts after returning from Canada:

1. When it comes to my writing, always take the over on number of words.

2. LFN and his press credentials are going to be there. Hopefully not as late as I usually show up.

3. Hopefully I won't fat finger a lot of tweets during that time.

4. Not really related to media day, but just noticing that four of the seven returning QBs are going to be sophomores. Colgate's Dylan Finelli is a junior with 2 starts, so he may as well be a sophomore. Georgetown has junior Kyle Nolan returning (I think), who was 50% of the Hoya playing time there last year. Meanwhile, Nebrich established himself last year as a bona-fide star and a Payton award candidate. And we wonder why Fordham will be sweeping the preseason awards and preseason polls?

4a. On a related note, that's why most of these teams don't have QBs coming to media day. Sophomores! The selection of Campbell and Daryoush isn't too surprising on the Lehigh side. Daryoush is poised to potentially become "Lehigh's next great lineman", while Campbell is the most experienced guy coming back on D except for Tim Newton. His brother Colin didn't come for media day either - he's probably in Florida right now.

5. The question involving ASN isn't really with the executive director of the PL. It's with your cable company.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 11:31 PM
I haven't really been following whatever discussion there has been on ASN. What are the questions/issues?

The question involving ASN isn't really with the executive director of the PL. It's with your cable company.

My question on ASN is whether ASN has contracted with the PL for some level of "exclusivity" that ASN is unprepared or unwilling to accomplish in a manner satisfactory to Patriot League fans. My most pressing fear is a rehash of the 2011 FiOS outrage involving Georgetown. Perhaps I have my tin foil hat wrapped too tightly around my balding noggin, but I'm speculating that ASN might (at some point) decline to live-televise certain games and, at the same time, deny others' legal entitlement to do so. I speculate as well that ASN broadcasts will be less comprehensive and of lower quality that those enjoyed last season by Patriot League fans.

"Speculation" is the key term here. I have no idea about ASN's broadcast plans or about ASN's technical abilities other than what I have read in press releases. And neither ASN nor the PL has offered any details. But what I've read about Doron Gorshein (the Chief Operating Officer of Sinclair Networks and the individual in charge of ASN) suggests to me (and it is only my personal opinion) that Mr. Gorshein has left behind a string of failed business ventures and that he is not in a position to direct a reliable enterprise for broadcasting Patriot League sports - at least not with the quality, reliability and longevity expected by Patriot League fans.

I don't know what is contained in the broadcast agreement between ASN and the Patriot League. And I suspect that neither ASN nor the Patriot League is willing to disseminate that information. Also I suspect that any questions directed during PL Media Day to Carolyn Femovich, concerning ASN/Patriot League contractual "exclusivity" provisions, will be met with vagueness and obfuscation rather than clarity and explanation. I just don't think this is going to end well.

Again, this is just me and my cynical, distrusting opinion. I could very well be wrong. But I'd like to find out.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2014, 11:47 PM
My understanding of the ASN deal is that it's an add-on, an extra outlet for televising games. What I do know is:

* It does not replace CBS SN.
* It does not replace/affect PL Network online streaming.

It's unlikely to be "hey, we're ASN! We're bringing our ASN crew to YOUR town and your regular crew will have to drink coffee in the parking lot!" and much more likely to be "hey, we're ASN, you're already producing a TV broadcast of your game? Cool, can we borrow it so we can broadcast it on our CW affiliate in Virginia?"

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 28th, 2014, 11:54 PM
How will the vote turn out? My guess...
1. Fordham
2. Lafayette
3. Lehigh
4. Bucknell
5. Holy Cross
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2014, 11:56 PM
more likely to be "hey, we're ASN, you're already producing a TV broadcast of your game? Cool, can we borrow it so we can broadcast it on our CW affiliate in Virginia?"

LFN - to the extent that you've gathered your information about ASN from "reliable sources," I'll be as pleased as a fox in a socks drawer. I'm hoping that Ms. Femovich will respond exactly as that when you ask her these questions Wednesday morning.

bison137
July 29th, 2014, 07:10 AM
My understanding of the ASN deal is that it's an add-on, an extra outlet for televising games. What I do know is:

* It does not replace CBS SN.
* It does not replace/affect PL Network online streaming.

It's unlikely to be "hey, we're ASN! We're bringing our ASN crew to YOUR town and your regular crew will have to drink coffee in the parking lot!" and much more likely to be "hey, we're ASN, you're already producing a TV broadcast of your game? Cool, can we borrow it so we can broadcast it on our CW affiliate in Virginia?"

Yes, it is definitely an add-on. It has no effect on CBSSN, which still has first rights to all games. Also any games televised by ASN will still be available on the PL Network as well, so I don't see any downside.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Yes, it is definitely an add-on. It has no effect on CBSSN, which still has first rights to all games. Also any games televised by ASN will still be available on the PL Network as well, so I don't see any downside.

Would they choose to cover the six PL games not on CBSSN or the PL Network?

Ken_Z
July 29th, 2014, 09:39 AM

what 6 games are not on the network, and why not?

Ken_Z
July 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
p.s. don't care for so much more Bucknell respect than in the past, please pick us for 7th

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2014, 09:42 AM

There's a vicious rumor afoot that ASN broadcast locations are limited to facilities with telephones, electricity, internet and indoor plumbing. Haters. xsmhx

I called, but they said that broadcast re-transmission of the kid with the iPhone peering through the construction fence at MSF just won't cut it. Not until he can get his battery to last a bit longer than midway through the third, in any event.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2014, 09:51 AM
p.s. don't care for so much more Bucknell respect than in the past, please pick us for 7th

Can't do it. Hoyas put in their bid and reserved that spot well in advance. Might be able to slide you in as low as five if it's really that important . . . have to make a few calls on that one, though.

Pard4Life
July 29th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Or, are these in fact your true sentiments and you are eagerly awaiting basketball season? :D

- - - Updated - - -

How will the vote turn out? My guess...
1. Fordham
2. Lafayette
3. Lehigh
4. Bucknell
5. Holy Cross
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

I would not be surprised if it's:

1. Fordham
2. Lehigh
3. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I would not be surprised if it's:

1. Fordham
2. Lehigh
3. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. Georgetown

Two through six are a toss-up. It's just impossible to predict this year. It will be one drop, one missed PAT, one fumble or one INT, in a single league game on anyone's schedule, that could move any team from second to sixth and vice-versa.

Fordham will win the PL. The only question is whether the second-place team will have played a strong enough OOC slate to warrant an at-large bid.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Can't do it. Hoyas put in their bid and reserved that spot well in advance. Might be able to slide you in as low as five if it's really that important . . . have to make a few calls on that one, though.

On a serious note, Georgetown's sub-basement lease will probably be a short term deal. Either it gets a better room at some point or it has to find another landlord.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2014, 12:14 PM
On a serious note, Georgetown's sub-basement lease will probably be a short term deal. Either it gets a better room at some point or it has to find another landlord.

Or at least hit up your rich uncle for some new furniture.

On an equally-serious note - were Villanova at some point in the future to join PL football, would that ignite a competitive reaction at 37th and O? Would donors step up in order to save face?

Pard4Life
July 29th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Two through six are a toss-up. It's just impossible to predict this year. It will be one drop, one missed PAT, one fumble or one INT, in a single league game on anyone's schedule, that could move any team from second to sixth and vice-versa.

Fordham will win the PL. The only question is whether the second-place team will have played a strong enough OOC slate to warrant an at-large bid.

I disagree... I seriously think we are the clear second-best team in the PL. I see it as 1) Fordham.... .... .... ... ... 2) Lafayete... 3-5) Lehigh, Bucknell, HC... 6) Colgate .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... 7) Georgetown

I was mostly reacting with cynicism for South Mountain bias in the preseason polls.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 29th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I'd honestly vote Bucknell #2. Lafayette needs to find a D and prove it can field a team that can put together a winning season. They were still a rather poor team last year, 5-7....

PAllen
July 29th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I just don't see Fordham winning the league this year. I have no idea who to pick in their place, but I think one of Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, or HC will take it this year with Fordham finishing somewhere between second and fourth.

Lafayette 1st-5th
Lehigh 1st-5th
Bucknell 1st-6th
Holy Cross 1st-6th
Fordham 2nd-4th
Colgate 4th-7th
Georgetown 5th-7th

Yeah, it's a cop out, but it's just way too hard to pick the exact order this year. Someone is going to surprise. Someone is going to lose them all (or almost all). Fordham's going to lose at least a game or two. A bunch will be just meh. I can't remember the last time that the league was this up in the air except maybe in the mid 90s when everybody sucked.

LUHawker
July 29th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I just don't see Fordham winning the league this year. I have no idea who to pick in their place, but I think one of Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, or HC will take it this year with Fordham finishing somewhere between second and fourth.

Lafayette 1st-5th
Lehigh 1st-5th
Bucknell 1st-6th
Holy Cross 1st-6th
Fordham 2nd-4th
Colgate 4th-7th
Georgetown 5th-7th

Yeah, it's a cop out, but it's just way too hard to pick the exact order this year. Someone is going to surprise. Someone is going to lose them all (or almost all). Fordham's going to lose at least a game or two. A bunch will be just meh. I can't remember the last time that the league was this up in the air except maybe in the mid 90s when everybody sucked.

I sort of feel the same way. On paper, Fordham is definitely the team to beat, but last year they started out very strong, but finished mediocre. There playoff performance was uninspiring and the one-game absence of Nebrich at QB (and loss to LC) highlighted that it is not a top-to-bottom roster of world beaters.

I also can't tell you which team might grab the title. I'm ruling out GTown and put Colgate lower on the list. At this point I'd have to pick BU or HC. The exclusion of LC isn't anti-LC bias; I just don't think they've got the horses, particularly when Reed has no one to throw to.

RichH2
July 29th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Interesting. FU has to be the chalk favorite after 12-2 year. After them anything is possible I guess. Which team answers their qustions best. And who can be consistent? New players,coaches abound. I'm just going to root for Lehigh.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2014, 03:44 PM
1. Fordham - Assuming a healthy QB the Sheep return too much talent not to be on top.

2a. Bucknell - Most of the talent returns and the Annoying Orange demonstrated an explosiveness last season that requires just a bit of fine-tuning.

2b. Lafayette - Pards were a different team once QB Reed took over. An entirely new defensive scheme will leave some question marks early in the OOC. Graduation losses hurt.

4a. Lehigh - Last season's fizzle is sitting rough with the entitled ones. Brownie Bunch defense will be looking for blood but signs of offensive consistency still are lacking.

4b. Holy Cross - The Infidels have had a couple of stellar recruiting classes and Pujals is the real deal. I am terrified of that McBeath kid. This team has the potential to be near the top.

6. Colgate - A PL fan could go broke betting against the Chenangans but I don't know where else to put them. The difference between #2 and #6 will be whisker thin. Graduation losses weigh heavy in Hamilton.

7. Georgetown - Hoyas will ice some early cupcakes but then the Cantabs will be a very rude awakening. The Jesuits might win a league game with outstanding discipline and play execution (for which they are known) but the numbers and the matchups just don't show it.

RichH2
July 29th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Looks as good as any other picks,Bogie. Wish I could disagree but got nothin yet.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 29th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I don't see HC. Maybe 6-5 if the stars align. Gilmore's teams have shown very little since Randolph left 5 years ago. Haven't they lost to Georgetown 3 straight years? Personally, I think HC will be looking for a new coach after the year.

Colgate was a BAD team last year. They had a few games early in the season that were over before half. Given the schedule and coaching change I can't see them winning more than 3 games.

I think it's

Fordham
Gap
Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh
Gap
Holy Cross
Gap
Colgate
Gap
Georgetown

RichH2
July 29th, 2014, 05:06 PM
There you go owl starting up that expansion talk again with this gap teamxsmiley_wix

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 29th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I'm still not sure i buy the QB situation as knock. Shafnisky did prove something imo. He came in against HC and led LU to a pretty convincing win. He outplayed Pujals. He then went into Hamilton and once again played well in a very big game. If Colgate won they were league champs. #149 would have been for pride only. Why he did not get the start against LC i'll never know.

My biggest concerns are getting the staff on the same page. Botts is a proven DC at Lehigh and will get that unit to perform . Folmar and the rest are truly new faces. They'll be a few hiccups...

An undersized front 7- they'll get pushed around again but to a lesser degree. The depth is better which will help. Plus they got Botts...

Lehigh has finished with a losing league record once since 1997. The odds say they will absolutely be in the mix.

Getting Bucknell and Fordham at home is nice. As is bypassing Easton at 65 mph....

RichH2
July 29th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Agree on Nick. Think you'll be pleased with work DL did over the summer. Size and strength much improved. Look for Palma and Stubbs . Still wont be that big inside. Like to see Harvey get some PT. Botts will be aggressive. We have lots of speed for him to use. Do miss Coach K's blitz schemes,absolute works of art.
Brisson back as WR coach . Folmar the key as he adapts to skills we have and Lehigh Air. Brown and White game shoul give us a good read.

bison137
July 29th, 2014, 07:43 PM
There you go owl starting up that expansion talk again with this gap teamxsmiley_wix

Does gap redshirt players?

Lehigh'98
July 29th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Has Lehigh named a starting QB yet?

RichH2
July 29th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Aw 98,you know Andy. Hopefully quickly so whoever is chosen gets reps. AJ is only one with reps in spring. IMO, Nick has biggest upside. Of course, Andy loves his seniors and Matt and Poutier put in their time. QB will be interesting over the next 3 or 4 years. Timochenko, Craven, Mayes and Nick. Also ,Baur was promised a shot at QB.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I'm putting the Rams on top for reasons pretty much apparent to everyone. They have strength and depth at all positions (though the depth is lacking at QB and TB). I have tied Lafayette and Bucknell at #2 based in no small part on last season's dismantling of Lehigh by both teams; each deserves to rank over Lehigh to start this season based on that factor alone, IMHO.

Bucknell's league-opening loss last season to Holy Cross still baffles me because it was such a lopsided game. That baffling extends to Lafayette's loss to Colgate in the midst of a very strong league run for the Leopards - but the Lafayette/Colgate game was very close while the Holy Cross/Bucknell game was not. I think the outcome of those two games had a lot to do with coaching. I'd have ranked Lafayette #1 had they showed the same dominance over Colgate that they showed over the rest of the PL last season. But they didn't, and that matters. Plus we totally screwed the pooch vs. Ivy. So sad.

Colgate did not play well last season. They did not dominate any PL team (as typically they do) and they got thoroughly trashed by Fordham, Lehigh and Bucknell. That's unusual, and I don't see much improvement coming. Nor do I envision much improvement at Georgetown but the Hoyas still can beat you with scheme and precise execution.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 29th, 2014, 10:43 PM

They got redshirts! And they come in traditional and Euro cut....

Lehigh Football Nation
July 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Overlooking Colgate is never a sound strategy.

Most of the Fightin' Cavities struggles came from the health of Gavin McCarney and a laundry list of injuries. They were one game away from the title. They beat Lafayette, which is what they do. With a healthy McCarney they would have had a real shot at winning back-to-back titles.

They seem to be better than 6th.

RichH2
July 30th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Thats the problem LFN. Perspective,each of us could be better than suspected, yeah even GU,they could be a tough last place team on a given day. Yup with. McCarney Gate could have won ,this year they definitely wont have him and Finellu not impressive.

bison137
July 30th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Official poll:

2014 Patriot League Football Preseason Poll

1. Fordham, 72 points (12 first-place votes)
2. Lehigh, 54
3. Lafayette, 51 (2)
4. Bucknell, 43
5. Colgate, 33
6. Holy Cross, 29
7. Georgetown, 12

Not surprisingly, Fordham unanimous for 1st and Georgetown unanimous for last. I think LU got some of their votes based on reputation.

bison137
July 30th, 2014, 09:04 AM
2014 Patriot League Football Preseason All-League Team
Preseason Offensive Player of the Year: Mike Nebrich, QB, Fordham (Sr.)
Preseason Defensive Player of the Year: Stephen Hodge, LB, Fordham (Sr.)

Offense
QB Mike Nebrich, Fordham (Sr.)
RB Ross Scheuerman, Lafayette (Sr.)
RB C.J. Williams, Bucknell (So.)
FB/HB Ed Pavalko, Colgate (Sr.)
WR Sam Ajala, Fordham (Sr.)
WR Tebucky Jones, Fordham (Sr.)
WR Brian Wetzel, Fordham (Sr.)
TE Dan Light, Fordham (Sr.)
OL Luke Chiarolanzio, Lafayette (Sr.)
OL Ned Daryoush, Lehigh (Sr.)
OL Julie'n Davenport, Bucknell (So.)
OL Mason Halter, Fordham (Sr.)
OL Lonnie Rawles, Bucknell (Sr.)
RS Kalif Raymond, Holy Cross (Jr.)
RS Matt Smalley, Lafayette (Jr.)
PK Michael Marando, Fordham (Sr.)

Defense
DL Demetrius Baldwin-Youngblood, Bucknell (Sr.)
DL Brett Biestek, Fordham (Gr.)
DL Tim Newton, Lehigh (Sr.)
DL DeAndre Slate, Fordham (Sr.)
LB Nick Alfieri, Georgetown (Sr.)
LB Evan Byers, Bucknell (Sr.)
LB Stephen Hodge, Fordham (Sr.)
LB Kris Kent, Colgate (Sr.)
DB Mike Armiento, Colgate (Sr.)
DB Matt Smalley, Lafayette (Jr.)
DB Matthew Steinbeck, Bucknell (Sr.)
DB Ian Williams, Fordham (Sr.)
P Joe Pavlik, Fordham (So.)

Fordham has 12 players on the list - and 11 are seniors. Only the punter is not.

RichH2
July 30th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Almost certainly so137. If All PL teams are accurate ,only GU had less on squad,

- - - Updated - - -

Femovich did note that more FBS teams are popping up on scheds for us.

bison137
July 30th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Almost certainly so137. If All PL teams are accurate ,only GU had less on the team.

Reputation and longevity certainly helped players in the voting. Of the 22 position players, 19 are seniors. That won't be the case in November.

RichH2
July 30th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Reputation and longevity certainly helped players in the voting. Of the 22 position players, 19 are seniors. That won't be the case in November.

:) Expect so. Surprised if we dont start to see many more schollie players showing up on 1st team list

Doc QB
July 30th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Anyone know where you can find American Sports Network? Will subscribers of Comcast or Service Electric or RCN locally in the Lehigh Valley get it? Just wondering, as the LU vs UNH game will be telecast on it.

RichH2
July 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM
There is a mapof ASN outlets. Very few in the NE.

bison137
July 30th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Very few in the NE.

IIRC, there are Mid-Atlantic Sinclair stations in Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Harrisburg, Baltimore, Albany, and a couple of others in upstate NY. Also some in Virginia.

Bogus Megapardus
July 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Wikipedia has a list of Sinclair-owned television stations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

Lehigh Football Nation
July 30th, 2014, 12:37 PM
A more full write-up is to come. Basically, I learned a lot about #Rivalry150, Patriot League TV, lots of stuff on the shifting sands of college athletics, and even some things on the upcoming season.

Absolutely shocked that Lehigh was picked second, ahead of two teams that beat them last season.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I'm not that suprised that Lehigh was picked 2nd given their history. Odds say they will be at or near the top....

LUHawker
July 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Aw 98,you know Andy. Hopefully quickly so whoever is chosen gets reps. AJ is only one with reps in spring. IMO, Nick has biggest upside. Of course, Andy loves his seniors and Matt and Poutier put in their time. QB will be interesting over the next 3 or 4 years. Timochenko, Craven, Mayes and Nick. Also ,Baur was promised a shot at QB.

Andy respects seniors, but remember he ultimately told J.B. Clark that he was #2 behind Lum, who was an underclassman at the time. I think QB is not a position he can play seniority with and I don't think he will.

LUHawker
July 30th, 2014, 01:23 PM
A more full write-up is to come. Basically, I learned a lot about #Rivalry150, Patriot League TV, lots of stuff on the shifting sands of college athletics, and even some things on the upcoming season.

Absolutely shocked that Lehigh was picked second, ahead of two teams that beat them last season.

LFN- I know you have to walk the fine line between being a die-hard Lehigh fan and an objective blogger/journalist, but "absolutely shocked"? Many here seem to forget that part of the reason LU closed softly last year was the loss of Bialkowski, who was at or near the top of FCS in passing until then and inexperienced QB's stepped in late. LU's bigger issue last year was a terrible defensive scheme with two DCs. If they were picked 3rd, would that have been a "shock"? Let's face it, this year #s 2-6 are mostly a push and the points bear that out.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 30th, 2014, 01:29 PM
LFN- I know you have to walk the fine line between being a die-hard Lehigh fan and an objective blogger/journalist, but "absolutely shocked"? Many here seem to forget that part of the reason LU closed softly last year was the loss of Bialkowski, who was at or near the top of FCS in passing until then and inexperienced QB's stepped in late. LU's bigger issue last year was a terrible defensive scheme with two DCs. If they were picked 3rd, would that have been a "shock"? Let's face it, this year #s 2-6 are mostly a push and the points that out.

I think so only because Lafayette was the league champion last year, beat Lehigh by double-digits at their place, and returns the QB that did that to them. If Lafayette graduated the farm it would have been less shocking to have Lehigh ahead.

Pard4Life
July 30th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Official poll:

2014 Patriot League Football Preseason Poll

1. Fordham, 72 points (12 first-place votes)
2. Lehigh, 54
3. Lafayette, 51 (2)
4. Bucknell, 43
5. Colgate, 33
6. Holy Cross, 29
7. Georgetown, 12

Not surprisingly, Fordham unanimous for 1st and Georgetown unanimous for last. I think LU got some of their votes based on reputation.

Are you serious!? Are you serious!? Are you serious!? Are you serious!? WTF! Are the voters on crack? This goes to show you that Lehigh bias exists even within the freakin' league!

In my deepest cynicism yesterday, I said Lehigh second place... didn't think it'd be true! Even the Lehigh fans here are somewhat pessimistic... Did the voters forget Lehigh got pasted by Lafayette and Bucknell?

RichH2
July 30th, 2014, 06:14 PM
lol, PL did it just to drive you crazy P4L :)

Pard4Life
July 30th, 2014, 06:18 PM

No, I think the Georgetown voters voted the Pards last just to teach Bogie a lesson.

We have two first place votes, so you have to believe some people voted us fourth. I'd bet on Gilmore and Coen.

I don't know about you, but if I were a player and saw this, I would be motivated as heck... being placed behind two teams that you beat last year, one was a blow out win...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 30th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Lafayette was a below average team that won the league under unique circumstances. Just because a bball team rides momentum and wins the conference tourney after an otherwise subpar season does not mean they will be the betting favorite the next year. In many ways that was LC's year.

Lehigh still had a good year 8-3. Eight wins is the high water mark for 'Pard football over the last 30+ years.

This is the third OBJECTIVE metric that has Lehigh ahead of LC, The Sporting News and CFB Madness are the other two. I believe Lindy's had Bucknell 2nd and Lafayette 3rd. So 4 different polls and all 4 have Lafayette 3rd. Hmmm...

I think that's a consensus ...

Georgetown has beaten HC 3 straight years yet the purple are voted ahead? It's obvious there is a conspiracy to repress Georgetown's self-esteem even further....

Sader87
July 30th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Lafayette was a below average team that won the league under unique circumstances. Just because a bball team rides momentum and wins the conference tourney after an otherwise subpar season does not mean they will be the betting favorite the next year. In many ways that was LC's year.

Lehigh still had a good year 8-3. Eight wins is the high water mark for 'Pard football over the last 30+ years.

This is the third OBJECTIVE metric that has Lehigh ahead of LC, The Sporting News and CFB Madness are the other two. I believe Lindy's had Bucknell 2nd and Lafayette 3rd. So 4 different polls and all 4 have Lafayette 3rd. Hmmm...

I think that's a consensus ...

Georgetown has beaten HC 3 straight years yet the purple are voted ahead? It's obvious there is a conspiracy to repress Georgetown's self-esteem even further....

We beat GTown in 2012 but have lost the last 3 of 4 to the Hoyas.

I like being picked 6th.....motivating factor.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 30th, 2014, 10:30 PM
We beat GTown in 2012 but have lost the last 3 of 4 to the Hoyas.

I like being picked 6th.....motivating factor.

Good catch on the HC-Gtown fact...

I think coming off of back-2-back 9 loss seasons should be motivation. Saving your coaches job is just an added boost....

This is a really big year for HC football imo...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 30th, 2014, 10:46 PM

How about LC beating Lehigh in 150 yet LU walks off the field as PL champs. P4L will take a leap off of the GW....

The schedule really does set up well for Lehigh league wise. I really think that an at large bid at the very least will be up for grabs for both teams at Yankee Stadium.

Bucknell will win games but SOS will kill them....

Personally, I think this is the year the PL takes a step forward nationally. Fordham is stacked and should be a Top 15 fixture all year. Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell are talented teams coming off positive 2013 seasons. All 3 will have some national viability throughout the year.

HC HAS to be better or else imo....

In the past it has been one maybe two teams making waves. Now, schollies are about to pay off...

DFW HOYA
July 30th, 2014, 10:50 PM
How about LC beating Lehigh in 150 yet LU walks off the field as PL champs. P4L will take a leap off of the GW....

The trophy is awarded a week before in the Bronx, Fordham's home finale versus Georgetown.

RichH2
July 30th, 2014, 11:40 PM

The schedule really does set up well for Lehigh league wise. I really think that an at large bid at the very least will be up for grabs for both teams at Yankee Stadium.

Personally, I think this is the year the PL takes a step forward nationally. Fordham is stacked and should be a Top 15 fixture all year. Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell are talented teams coming off positive 2013 seasons. All 3 will have some national viability throughout the year.

In the past it has been one maybe two teams making waves. Now, schollies are about to pay off...

owl,truly live seeing your posts. When I start overthinking the upcoming year,your optimism reminds me to look at the postives as well as the issues we face next yr,both LU and thePL.
While I cant quite be as rosy,I think one of the 2-6 group will stand out and we'll get an at large.

Lehigh'98
July 31st, 2014, 06:10 AM
Andy respects seniors, but remember he ultimately told J.B. Clark that he was #2 behind Lum, who was an underclassman at the time. I think QB is not a position he can play seniority with and I don't think he will.

Yes, Coen started Stambaugh as FR in 96.

Lehigh'98
July 31st, 2014, 06:20 AM
Owl has the Brown colored glasses on. I wish I could share his optimism and for the D and Botts, partly I can because I played for Botts and know he is talented. It's the shaky QB combined with coaching shakeup that scares me. For the record, I have Lehigh 4th, hoping that changes.

DFW HOYA
July 31st, 2014, 08:01 AM
The media folks liked Kevin Kelly well enough. Now the "new" guy will have to make himself friendly to the media there next week.

Yes, they did.

Brad Wilson wrote Wednesday that "Georgetown has changed its head coach from well-respected veteran Kevin Kelly, who turned a moribund program around," but outside of 2011, in Kelly's other six seasons he was a combined 16-60, with six of those 16 wins versus either Davidson or Marist.

Unfortunately, Sgarlata's got an even steeper hill to climb than Kelly did at the outset. Any quotes from him?

PAllen
July 31st, 2014, 08:30 AM

Hush your mouth!!! :D

I'd rather go 1-11 with the 1 being 150 than go 11-1 and out first week of the playoffs, again with the 1 being 150. Of course, as always, a perfect season is 12-0 then undefeated through the playoffs, with LC going 0 for X and starting the D-III talk again.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 31st, 2014, 09:30 AM
Owl has the Brown colored glasses on. I wish I could share his optimism and for the D and Botts, partly I can because I played for Botts and know he is talented. It's the shaky QB combined with coaching shakeup that scares me. For the record, I have Lehigh 4th, hoping that changes.

I said 7-4 as has Rich.

The defense is definifely a concern and will cost them a game or two.

Would there be less concern about QB had BB started all of last year? I think winning 8 games with 3 different starting QB's is a positive sign. How many teams in the PL could do that? Look how Fordham faired without Nebrich. How would LC do if missed time?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 31st, 2014, 09:47 AM
This will surprise many of the Brown fans, I'm sure, but where I'm most concerned is WR.

Spadola anchored the receivers for 2 1/2 years and led to our ridiculous run (and having another exceptional WR, Drwal, on his opposite side, was near-impossible to stop). Kurfis' emergence last year in Game 1 was a real surprise, and while BB was a very good QB, without Kurfis' emergence, would we have seen it?

This year Parris is expected to step right into Kurfis' shoes. Parris has shown flashes of good play, but he's not been nearly as consistent as Kurfis was his junior year. Can he be the uncontested #1? Can he break out for that 220 yard game against a CCSU, a Monmouth, against the opposition's best DBs? I don't know the answer. Does he have that extra gear? He hasn't shown it as much as I'd like. Does he have exceptional hands? He hasn't shown them as much as I'd like.

Assuming Yosha is the real deal, that will take some of the pressure of Parris and the rest of the receiving corps. But can we count on a Spadola or Kurfis emerging every single year? If Parris becomes "that guy", then Lehigh becomes real threats to Fordham. If he doesn't, do we find "that guy" in time?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 31st, 2014, 10:14 AM
WR is a concern imo. Parris is a solid but not spectacular WR. I can't recall any real memorable play(s) he's made.

I like Knott and the TE's though....

LUHawker
July 31st, 2014, 10:18 AM
WR is a concern imo. Parris is a solid but not spectacular WR. I can't recall any real memorable play(s) he's made.

I like Knott and the TE's though....

This will surprise many of the Brown fans, I'm sure, but where I'm most concerned is WR.

Spadola anchored the receivers for 2 1/2 years and led to our ridiculous run (and having another exceptional WR, Drwal, on his opposite side, was near-impossible to stop). Kurfis' emergence last year in Game 1 was a real surprise, and while BB was a very good QB, without Kurfis' emergence, would we have seen it?

This year Parris is expected to step right into Kurfis' shoes. Parris has shown flashes of good play, but he's not been nearly as consistent as Kurfis was his junior year. Can he be the uncontested #1? Can he break out for that 220 yard game against a CCSU, a Monmouth, against the opposition's best DBs? I don't know the answer. Does he have that extra gear? He hasn't shown it as much as I'd like. Does he have exceptional hands? He hasn't shown them as much as I'd like.

Assuming Yosha is the real deal, that will take some of the pressure of Parris and the rest of the receiving corps. But can we count on a Spadola or Kurfis emerging every single year? If Parris becomes "that guy", then Lehigh becomes real threats to Fordham. If he doesn't, do we find "that guy" in time?

I agree with both of you. Parris was not an impact player last year and dropped some key balls. Sometimes, when players are given the top slot, they step up; sometimes they don't. We won't know how Parris responds until we hit the season.

Bill
July 31st, 2014, 10:50 AM

LFN - while you're not wrong, your statement made me think. Going back to the late 1980's, it seems LU ALWAYS has at least one standout WR. The list is quite impressive. Every year, the top dog would leave...and out of nowhere (it would seem) a new person would simply step up. I was out of touch with the program during the first few Coen years, but look at these names:
Benn
Varano
Hamm
Cristino
Clark
Cecchini
Klingermann
Braswell
Snyder
Drwal
Spadola
And on, and on… I’m sure I’m missing a few, but wow!

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2014, 08:36 AM
LFN: Any news out of Media Day on (or from) Georgetown? As expected, no coverage in the Washington Post.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2014, 08:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST4SHvygTlY&feature=youtu.be

I didn't get a chance to talk to G'Town on media day, but Rob S. was in this PL Network piece (though mostly talking about Joe Moorhead, who coached at Georgetown at one point).

RichH2
August 1st, 2014, 10:04 AM
Hawker,owl
Not as worried about WR. Group overall better even tho wont have the dominant WR as before. TEs will be excellent. Parris solid,Knott a gamebreaker uf he can avoid injury, Gaul very good over the middle ala Drawl, Socarro ,Kelsey,Buford capable. Rest of frosh corps extremely talented. Reps and learning our read passing O will set the table.

LUHawker
August 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Hawker,owl
Not as worried about WR. Group overall better even tho wont have the dominant WR as before. TEs will be excellent. Parris solid,Knott a gamebreaker uf he can avoid injury, Gaul very good over the middle ala Drawl, Socarro ,Kelsey,Buford capable. Rest of frosh corps extremely talented. Reps and learning our read passing O will set the table.

Andy's comments about QB competition are somewhat concerning. After watching McHale in the Lafayette game and I can point to one particularly poor pass to open the 2nd half, I see little future for us with him at QB. Why Nick didn't start that last game is a big mystery to me (jitters?), but I much prefer we give him the nod and because I saw more promise.

On a separate note, we haven't had a QB since Lum that could deliver an accurate deep ball. Even Bialkowski was errant here.

RichH2
August 1st, 2014, 11:33 AM
No clue on Pard game. Still makes no sense. Matt has a good arm but he is a thrower not a passer. Lacks confidence IMO in his accuracy. He can run very well. Let him do wildcat. Nick is a passer,perhaps a bit too confidant :). Bit stronger arm than BB. Great on scramble plays. Hope he steps up in camp. Matt better camp player,I think, than game player. One has to step up.

Bogus Megapardus
August 1st, 2014, 12:23 PM
I'm still trying to get a handle on this season's featured tailback/running back for each school. Lafayette returns Ross "The Scheuermanator" Scheuerman. Behind Scheuerman will be sophomores Kyle Mayfield and Adin Greenfield, in that order (though I thought Greenfield looked better that Mayfield in the spring game).

Would you guys please post who you think will get most of the carries for your team? Obviously C.J. Williams for Bucknell, but what about the rest?

Pard4Life
August 1st, 2014, 12:52 PM
I'm still trying to get a handle on this season's featured tailback/running back for each school. Lafayette returns Ross "The Scheuermanator" Scheuerman. Behind Scheuerman will be sophomores Kyle Mayfield and Adin Greenfield, in that order (though I thought Greenfield looked better that Mayfield in the spring game).

Would you guys please post who you think will get most of the carries for your team? Obviously C.J. Williams for Bucknell, but what about the rest?

Lehigh will be someone we all recognize... they had trouble academically qualifying players, but Elmo knows his ABCs and 123s, at least...

http://pilapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/elmopotty_icon.jpg

Gater
August 1st, 2014, 01:09 PM
For Colgate, the RB the league didn’t see last year is John Wilkins. He’s listed at 240 but looks bigger. He had 76 yards on 11 carries against Albany (Colgate’s second game) before getting knocked out for the season in the second quarter. Seems like he would have helped turn a lot of two yard gains into four yard gains and perhaps kept the O on the field. It will be interesting to see what he can do this year.

Also, people have been talking about Finelli starting for Colgate at QB but sophomore Jake Melville enters camp as the starter. Incoming freshman QB Bret Mooney looks to be a good one. Melville's probably faster. Mooney appears to be a more accurate passer. It will be interesting to see who Hunt chooses. He's already moved one of the defensive coordinators over to special teams coordinator and the D is apparently switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. There's even talk of the team attempting a punt return this year. Big changes in Hamilton and more uncertainty than anytime since Biddle's first year. Hunt seems to be doing everything right so far. Hopefully that will continue through all 16 of the games on this year's slate.

RichH2
August 1st, 2014, 01:53 PM
For Lehigh,looks to be Yosha and Brown. We dont seem to have a change of pace back unless Kee or a frosh impresses.

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2014, 02:03 PM

The only returning back with more than 25 yards all last season is junior Joel Kimpela. He averaged 24.7 yards per game.

Fordham
August 1st, 2014, 02:47 PM
Soph. Kendall Pearcey from FL earned the starting spot at TB in the Spring, which is pretty much the only position of note that needs to be filled given the graduation of Carlton Koonce. Expect to hear the name Chase Edmonds, though. Likely initially as a third down back/change of pace and possibly eventually as a starter at some point as the word is that this incoming frosh is something special. Heard him described as a steal but we'll see ...

bison137
August 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM
Obviously C.J. Williams for Bucknell, but what about the rest?

Yes, Williams is the #1 back for BU, but jr Matt DelMauro should also see a lot of carries. He averaged 5.3 YPC last year on almost 100 carries, and his style makes him a very good change of pace from Williams.

Sader87
August 1st, 2014, 08:59 PM
HC's primary RB, Soph Gabe Guild: http://goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/bios/guild_gabe_bnv2

ngineer
August 1st, 2014, 11:30 PM

...and they succeeded. I think what drives the voters (coaches and SIDs) is what each team has returning on paper. Last year's results and scores do not mean that much. What you have coming up is what counts. I think a blanket could be thrown over BU, LC, and LU as far as prognosticating this year as the points show. LU has a good OL returning with Dayroush a preseason AA in one poll. Some strong running backs and LU may well have the balance they have lacked for several years, which will give the new QB less pressure to 'be the man'. Andy will go with whoever wins the job by the second week of camp regardless of class. Folmar, being a former A-A QB himself could bring some unexpected dividends in terms of coaching mechanics. The LU D will be improved, with significant depth and athleticism at LB.

LC has a new DC and scheme to go with it, which can always make for some nervous times. It took Coach K a couple seasons before he was able to have his system working on all cylinders. If LC's replacement receivers can step up, then they can have a heck of an offense if the OL does its job. Somewhat unknown to me at present.

BU showed all the signs of making the move relevancy last year so they will be very interesting to watch. Tremendous freshman RB last year will lead the way.

ngineer
August 1st, 2014, 11:34 PM
No clue on Pard game. Still makes no sense. Matt has a good arm but he is a thrower not a passer. Lacks confidence IMO in his accuracy. He can run very well. Let him do wildcat. Nick is a passer,perhaps a bit too confidant :). Bit stronger arm than BB. Great on scramble plays. Hope he steps up in camp. Matt better camp player,I think, than game player. One has to step up.

Agreed. I think Nick has the inside track when you add up all their attributes. Plus, if he wins the job you have the potential for some long term stability. However, I hear some of our incoming QB's could be breathing down some necks.

RichH2
August 2nd, 2014, 06:49 AM
:) Timochenko and Craven and Andy did promise Baur a legit shot at camp. All 3 are talented. Nick hopefully will take spot early in camp. Mayes next year is special. In any event QB seems fairly well set on paper for the next 5 yrs. More important is being ready for JMU.

ColgateTD
August 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
For Colgate, the RB the league didn’t see last year is John Wilkins. He’s listed at 240 but looks bigger. He had 76 yards on 11 carries against Albany (Colgate’s second game) before getting knocked out for the season in the second quarter. Seems like he would have helped turn a lot of two yard gains into four yard gains and perhaps kept the O on the field. It will be interesting to see what he can do this year.

Also, people have been talking about Finelli starting for Colgate at QB but sophomore Jake Melville enters camp as the starter. Incoming freshman QB Bret Mooney looks to be a good one. Melville's probably faster. Mooney appears to be a more accurate passer. It will be interesting to see who Hunt chooses. He's already moved one of the defensive coordinators over to special teams coordinator and the D is apparently switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. There's even talk of the team attempting a punt return this year. Big changes in Hamilton and more uncertainty than anytime since Biddle's first year. Hunt seems to be doing everything right so far. Hopefully that will continue through all 16 of the games on this year's slate.

Last I heard Armiento may be out for the season with a serious leg injury he sustained in practice. Can't discount the fact that this is Hunt's first season as HC. Despite being in the program a long time, it always takes a while to adjust to having all the weight on your shoulders. Apparently he got a good class coming in,... but so does everybody. Report that Hunt sees some of the frosh helping out a lot this season.

Putting Gate near the bottom of the league is warranted based on what we know now, but never count the Red Raiders out. They've been known to surprise in the past.

Gater
August 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Armiento and DeCicco out for the season? Not sure if Colgate has a better defensive player than Armiento or a more explosive player on O than DeCicco. Both guys also real leaders.

RichH2
August 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Armiento and DeCicco out for the season? Not sure if Colgate has a better defensive player than Armiento or a more explosive player on O than DeCicco. Both guys also real leaders.

Tough news. DeCicco a very good player. Still wont count Raiders as a cupcake. D has to be better and Melville could be very good at QB.

colorless raider
August 2nd, 2014, 04:49 PM

Armiento is fine I am told. Really too bad about Decicco.

citdog
August 2nd, 2014, 05:09 PM
Melville could be very good at QB.

http://www.notable-quotes.com/m/herman_melville_quote.jpg

ngineer
August 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM

"Thar she blows!"

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2014, 11:51 PM

Call me Ishmael.....

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2014, 11:55 PM
Last I heard Armiento may be out for the season with a serious leg injury he sustained in practice. Can't discount the fact that this is Hunt's first season as HC. Despite being in the program a long time, it always takes a while to adjust to having all the weight on your shoulders. Apparently he got a good class coming in,... but so does everybody. Report that Hunt sees some of the frosh helping out a lot this season.

Putting Gate near the bottom of the league is warranted based on what we know now, but never count the Red Raiders out. They've been known to surprise in the past.

Injuries, some new faces and a new coach. No sin in a rebuilding year.

Dan Hunt looks like a good choice to put the pieces together.

RichH2
August 3rd, 2014, 08:04 AM
Call me Ishmael.....

How literary of us. citdog surely is modern day Abha...Omoo another Typee :)

FordhamFan
August 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Soph. Kendall Pearcey from FL earned the starting spot at TB in the Spring, which is pretty much the only position of note that needs to be filled given the graduation of Carlton Koonce. Expect to hear the name Chase Edmonds, though. Likely initially as a third down back/change of pace and possibly eventually as a starter at some point as the word is that this incoming frosh is something special. Heard him described as a steal but we'll see ...

Yeah Chase Edmonds is no joke. Would be shocked if he wasn't at least splitting carries by the middle of the season. Pearcy doesn't do it for me...but I hope to be proved wrong and Fordham left with two solid underclassmen RBs.

Fact is, if Nebrich is healthy...and that's a HUGE if (dude might not be ready for the opener from what I'm hearing), Fordham should run through the league. I say should because obviously that's why they play the games. But seriously this team has 30 seniors, has maybe the best position group in the country at WR, and a defense that should be better than last year.

Bucknell is a scary game for the Rams. Going there on a Friday night, nationally televised...team has never played on a short week and Bucknell was right there with Fordham last year (though Nebrich only played the first quarter that game). Gun to my head I say Fordham goes 10-2, with losses to Nova and Army. Wouldn't shock me if there was a PL loss, but with this being the first year Fordham can officially win the league, Moorhead is making it a serious priority to win the conference.

Very excited for the season. Glad the Patriot League is making strides towards being a better conference as a whole. Should be a great year.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Fact is, if Nebrich is healthy...and that's a HUGE if (dude might not be ready for the opener from what I'm hearing)

Hm.

RichH2
August 6th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah,interesting. While I want tohave a guilty hope he wont be 100% for our game, cant do it. Hope he is OK for season. If we can beat Rams ,it should be with him playing.

FordhamFan
August 7th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Hm.

That's what I thought too...but having watched him for two years now, it takes the hand of god to keep him off the field.

He was MUCH closer to playing at Lafayette last year than most people think. Honestly I'd be shocked if he missed the opener, his surgery was so long ago! But from what I'm hearing it's not as smooth as everyone would wish.

Like Rich said, I hope the kid just gets healthy, even as a biased fan, it's just better when the best players are able to compete.

RichH2
August 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Rumor mill picking up. Brendan Nosovitch rs jr at South Carolina decided to transfer. A Parade AA and ***prospect faced reality of Spurrier moving him to get his size and speed on the field. He wants to play QB. So.Car. local reporter tweetd that his likely options are Lafayette,Nova and Lehigh. Should be interesting.

ngineer
August 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Rumor mill picking up. Brendan Nosovitch rs jr at South Carolina decided to transfer. A Parade AA and ***prospect faced reality of Spurrier moving him to get his size and speed on the field. He wants to play QB. So.Car. local reporter tweetd that his likely options are Lafayette,Nova and Lehigh. Should be interesting.

Whoa! Wasn't he the QB at Allentown Central Catholic??? I thought we were in the hunt for him back then. That would be huge for whoever gets him.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 7th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Whoa! Wasn't he the QB at Allentown Central Catholic??? I thought we were in the hunt for him back then. That would be huge for whoever gets him.

I saw him, in person, light up my HS alma mater in the 3A playoffs a few years ago. He was a rare talent. A year or two later ACC had a RB that torched us. McDermott? Or something like that.....

RichH2
August 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Yup we were after Nosovitch also back then, If Andy does pursue what abouy Mayes?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Yup we were after Nosovitch also back then, If Andy does pursue what abouy Mayes?

I think you have to pursue him "just because". While Shaf and McHale appear to be the guys for this year, Timo, Craven and Mayes all have superior credentials imo.

Nosovitch seems perfect for Delaware. I can't see him at a PL school even with schollies. SEC to PL? That would be too good....

RichH2
August 7th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I think you have to pursue him "just because". While Shaf and McHale appear to be the guys for this year, Timo, Craven and Mayes all have superior credentials imo.

Nosovitch seems perfect for Delaware. I can't see him at a PL school even with schollies. SEC to PL? That would be too good.... One can dream :):)

heath
August 7th, 2014, 06:07 PM
One can dream :):)
I think CAA when I think of a SEC or ACC transfer. Towson or Novaxthumbsupx

Fordham
August 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM
that would be a huge get. I remember him as I also follow Penn State recruiting and there were alot of people who wanted him. Yet another sign that scholarships are a game changer for the league imo.

Also, for your reading pleasure, yet another sign right here as well: 20 FCS players to watch for 2014 (http://beyondsportsnetwork.com/blog/2014/08/06/top-20-players-fcs-2014-season/)

RichH2
August 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Cant disagree heath. I think a lot depends on whether he wants to stay in the LV and closer to home not that Nova is that far away :)

carney2
August 7th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Cant disagree heath. I think a lot depends on whether he wants to stay in the LV and closer to home not that Nova is that far away :)

Nova is not a good fit. Barring injury, Robertson has that job until a diploma is put in his hand. Lafayette is pretty solid too with Reed.

RichH2
August 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Could be carney but my question is, How good is he? Not good enuf to get above 4th string ( altho think Spurrier did that to ease him to another slot) but a good enuf that Spurrier wanted his speed on the field.Is he so much better than Robertson or Reed that coaches would sign him. LU already has 3 QBs on schollie and a verbal from another. Too complicated for me and I cant evaluate the difference in abilities among these kids.

Doc QB
August 8th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I think CAA when I think of a SEC or ACC transfer. Towson or Novaxthumbsupx

Totally agree Heath, but hope that changes as PL matures into a full scholarship league and hopefully more competitive with CAA. As for the multiple wonder-frosh QBs of the various PL teams...Nosovitch is head and shoulders above them all. And carney, that includes Reed. Great HS credentials and a few yrs with reps in an SEC program and great QB coaching. Its not a comparison. Qbs from PL schools will need to be aware that such transfers may become more possible with full rides available. Great educations and football traditions that can be real attractive to unwanted QBs with the grades coming out of HS. Time will tell if Andy, Frank, etc bite.

RichH2
August 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Absolutely Doc. Head and shoulders ,eh...well certainly worth a shot. One note,I believe si.ce he has at least 3 semesters at USC,HS grades no longer apply to AI qualification.

heath
August 8th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Absolutely Doc. Head and shoulders ,eh...well certainly worth a shot. One note,I believe si.ce he has at least 3 semesters at USC,HS grades no longer apply to AI qualification.
Yes heads and shoulders. There is only 1 QB in the PL that would even make it as a walk on at a SEC or ACC school. Huge step up, and its the speed of the game that kills QBs. with that said, I still would rather watch a good FCS game over the big boys......More heartxnodx

Lehigh'98
August 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Yes heads and shoulders. There is only 1 QB in the PL that would even make it as a walk on at a SEC or ACC school. Huge step up, and its the speed of the game that kills QBs. with that said, I still would rather watch a good FCS game over the big boys......More heartxnodx

I'm assuming you mean Nebrich when u say 1 QB?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 8th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I'm assuming you mean Nebrich when u say 1 QB?

There's more than one imo. Some of the backups at these big time schools aren't very good. All the good ones end up transferring to another P5 team that will allow them to start.

I think Nebrich and Reed would make the team at 85% of P5 schools. Pujols is a little too small. There's one guy on Lehigh's roster who could do it. Who it is , is TBD....

Lehigh'98
August 8th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Definitely not Mchale, he may be 3rd or 4th best right now. Shaf, I'm not sold on yet. Hoping one of the FR step up and put our minds at ease for a few years. I would welcome the transfer at this point. If I was Laf, Nova or Fordham I'd be much more leery as you risk messing w the chemistry of the team.

RichH2
August 8th, 2014, 10:32 PM
'98
Dont forget Mayes the verbal for next year. Timo and Craven look good on highlights. Nick is our bet IMO for the future. Needs to step up quickly and take spot.

Bogus Megapardus
August 9th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Week 1 Sportsbook (yes, it's that time already):

Wagner (-1½) at Georgetown

Bucknell (-10½) vs VMI

Fordham (-13½) vs St. Francis

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2014, 11:57 PM

Bucknell (-10½) vs VMI

All three favorites easily

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Week 1 Sportsbook UPDATE:

Bucknell (-10½) vs VMI

Ball State (-24½) vs Colgate

PAllen
August 11th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Bucknell (-10½) vs VMI

Wagner

The points (Bucknell will probably win, but I'm not sure they can score 11 points.)

Fordham

Lehigh'98
August 11th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Colgate has been pretty poor OOC the last few yrs. that's a lot of points though. I think Ball State and Lembo will cover though.

JimboCBA72
August 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Yeah Chase Edmonds is no joke. Would be shocked if he wasn't at least splitting carries by the middle of the season. Pearcy doesn't do it for me...but I hope to be proved wrong and Fordham left with two solid underclassmen RBs.

Fact is, if Nebrich is healthy...and that's a HUGE if (dude might not be ready for the opener from what I'm hearing), Fordham should run through the league. I say should because obviously that's why they play the games. But seriously this team has 30 seniors, has maybe the best position group in the country at WR, and a defense that should be better than last year.

Bucknell is a scary game for the Rams. Going there on a Friday night, nationally televised...team has never played on a short week and Bucknell was right there with Fordham last year (though Nebrich only played the first quarter that game). Gun to my head I say Fordham goes 10-2, with losses to Nova and Army. Wouldn't shock me if there was a PL loss, but with this being the first year Fordham can officially win the league, Moorhead is making it a serious priority to win the conference.

Very excited for the season. Glad the Patriot League is making strides towards being a better conference as a whole. Should be a great year.

I was at yesterday's first scrimmage and Nebrich looked in mid-season form. He is wearing a brace on his knee but that is to be expected following surgery.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Just some food for thought here - The Ram offense obviously is stacked this season, with a healthy Nebrich and a WR corps that no one has to guess about. But last season, take away Nebrich (and the offensive inertia he provides), why weren't the Rams - even with Koonce - able to stop or contain the Lafayette offense or, for that matter, the Bucknell offense?

colorless raider
August 11th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I was at yesterday's first scrimmage and Nebrich looked in mid-season form. He is wearing a brace on his knee but that is to be expected following surgery.

The Rams look to be scary good this year. It will take at least another year for the rest of the PL to catch up.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Since the Week 1 FCS sportbook lines now are out, how about a couple of early line and o/u predictions Lafayette-Lehigh #150, just for fun? It's early so no one will hold you to it. Not a prediction of the outcome, but a prediction of what the line will look like.

My first guess - Lafayette (-4½) vs Lehigh o/u 52.

Sader87
August 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Since the Week 1 FCS sportbook lines now are out, how about a couple of early line and o/u predictions Lafayette-Lehigh #150, just for fun? It's early so no one will hold you to it. Not a prediction of the outcome, but a prediction of what the line will look like.

My first guess - Lafayette (-4½) vs Lehigh o/u 52.

Mini Ditkas 43 Lafayette 10 Lehigh 7

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Mini Ditkas 43 Lafayette 10 Lehigh 7

Please, I'm rather stupid. I don't get it. xconfusedx

Sader87
August 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Super Fans: https://screen.yahoo.com/bill-swerskis-super-fans-da-000000191.html

RichH2
August 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Got it Cross shoulda been in the Big East.
Pards -3, o/u 66

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Super Fans: https://screen.yahoo.com/bill-swerskis-super-fans-da-000000191.html

Now I get it. Duh. The Crusaders are making some fun of us!

And the coulda beens will be playing where that day? I seem to have forgotten.

Real good. Real good. http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/smoking/smileys-smoking-224935.gif

Sader87
August 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Now I get it. The Crusaders are making some fun of us!

And the coulda beens will be playing where that day? I seem to have forgotten.

Real good. Real good. http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/smoking/smileys-smoking-224935.gif

In our nation's capital before a handful of friends, family and people who got lost in DC.......a far cry from the BC game we used to play that weekend at Fenway Pahhhk, Braves Field or in Foxboro.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM
In our nation's capital before a handful of friends, family and people who got lost in DC.......a far cry from the BC game we used to play that weekend at Fenway Pahhhk, Braves Field or in Foxboro.

Tsk, tsk.

I'd blame the Patriot League.

EDIT - I'd be careful. Judging from recent history, you might lose. Just sayin' xrolleyesx

Lehigh'98
August 11th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Bogie, what's up w the Columbia Avi?

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Bogie, what's up w the Columbia Avi?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?....post2126651 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?157259-Ivy-League-Preseason-Poll&p=2126651&viewfull=1#post2126651)

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2014, 10:01 PM
BTW - poking fun at Holy Cross is our PL prerogative.

<< - WE are allowed. YOU are not. That means you especially, citdog. xnodx

FordhamFan
August 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Fordham's second scrimmage was last night. Nebrich again only participated in 7on7, no full team action. Looked very solid throwing the ball. I wonder when he'll be healthy enough to participate in full team stuff. Less than two weeks away from the first game, I hope he gets in a live pocket sometime soon.

Go...gate
August 17th, 2014, 07:45 PM
The Rams look to be scary good this year. It will take at least another year for the rest of the PL to catch up.

Agree. It is Fordham's title to lose, IMO.

Pard4Life
August 17th, 2014, 09:28 PM
As we are getting closer to KO, any new feelings of preseason picks?

I'm going:

1) Rams
2) Pards
3) Brown Scum
4) Bison
5) Saders
6) Red Raiders
7) Hoyas

Bogus Megapardus
August 17th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Agree. It is Fordham's title to lose, IMO.

xsmhx  xrulesx  http://www.smoobook.com/smoobook/smilies/usersmilies/smilie_11012_1334644231.gif

Gangtackle11
August 18th, 2014, 08:46 AM
1) Fordham
2) Lafayette
3) Lehigh
4) Colgate
5) Holy Cross
6) Bucknell
7) Georgetown

jimbo65
August 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Colgate has been pretty poor OOC the last few yrs. that's a lot of points though. I think Ball State and Lembo will cover though.

Best wished via the "Breakers". If that isn't Ball's nickname, it should be.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 19th, 2014, 11:28 AM
I don't believe Fordham goes undefeated. Road trips to Bucknell and Lehigh along with Lafayette, who should have a strong crowd at JCF, is a pretty tough slate to go 3-0 imo. Even so, they should be right in the mix nationally. Looking at their schedule 10-2/11-1 is possible, 9-3 wouldn't shock me either. You got to be a darn good team to go 4-1/3-2 against @ Villanova, @ Lehigh, @ Bucknell, Lafayette, @ Army imo.....

Lehigh has the easiest league schedule imo, Fordham and Bucknell at home, Lafayette on a neutral site and no late season trip to the Hamilton tundra. A roadie to Georgetown is nothing more than a quality cultural experience. That's why the HC game could be crucial imo...

1. Fordham 5-1 L to Lehigh
2. Lehigh 5-1 L to HC on a rainy November day in Wooooooster....
3. Lafayette 4-2 L Fordham and Lehigh
4. Bucknell 3-3 L to Fordham, Lehigh, Colgate
5. Holy Cross 3-3 L Fordham, Lafayette, Bucknell
6. Colgate 2-4 L Fordham, Lehigh, Lafayette, HC
7. Georgetown 0-6 L xembarrassedx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 19th, 2014, 11:56 AM

I'll take this and an order of garlic knots, please! :)

Ken_Z
August 19th, 2014, 03:14 PM

that 22 wins 20 losses in conference play should help the leagues rpi. Bucknell vs Laf obviously the key to this feat, will have to keep an eye on that game :)

Fordham
August 19th, 2014, 07:08 PM
too funny