Delaware
7-5

Cal Poly
6-6

Princeton
8-2

coover
July 23rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
Poly ranked #4 in the Big Sky. Interesting.

Preseason polls, of course, are nonsensical, but, at least, the people behind the poll, I assume, have done some homework rather than picking names from a hat. I think they have the top team actually ranked #1. I'm not sure about the rest.

ysubigred
July 23rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Poly ranked #4 in the Big Sky. Interesting.

Preseason polls, of course, are nonsensical, but, at least, the people behind the poll, I assume, have done some homework rather than picking names from a hat. I think they have the top team actually ranked #1. I'm not sure about the rest.

Non-sense! NDSU is #1 until proven otherwise. I'd say the coaching change in Fargo won't make a difference xcoffeex

WMTribe90
July 23rd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Non-sense! NDSU is #1 until proven otherwise. I'd say the coaching change in Fargo won't make a difference xcoffeex

To the OP's question. Yes, UR finished last year very strong and returns the bulk of their squad. They will compete for the CAA Championship and have top 10 caliber talent.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 23rd, 2014, 02:30 PM

No way! NDSU is way to high. They graduated 75 seniors and got a guy whose only head coaching experience was a DIII school in Iowa.

Forget it, they're done. Nobody should take them seriously at all.

tru
July 23rd, 2014, 05:00 PM

Haha ok so they lose head ball coach, ok no problem, of tha 124 fcs teams only 17 teams return less talent who played lastyear. Yeah they will be fine, no issues this season..... They will have a good season, but lost way too much talent to be thought of as #1 in fcs land.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM
Haha ok so they lose head ball coach, ok no problem, of tha 124 fcs teams only 17 teams return less talent who played lastyear. Yeah they will be fine, no issues this season..... They will have a good season, but lost way too much talent to be thought of as #1 in fcs land.

Exactly what I said, everybody should consider them a cupcake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
The undefeated, defending champ is number 1 until somebody dethrones them....Also, the 6-6 and 6-5 teams don't belong in the top ten when there are three teams with more than 10 wins outside the top ten...

skinny_uncle
July 23rd, 2014, 05:56 PM

It can be tricky. Ask the folks at Indiana State.

clenz
July 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
The undefeated, defending champ is number 1 until somebody dethrones them....Also, the 6-6 and 6-5 teams don't belong in the top ten when there are three teams with more than 10 wins outside the top ten...
Why? That's based on last season, not this season...

NoDak 4 Ever
July 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
It can be tricky. Ask the folks at Indiana State.

That clown they hired sucks.

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 06:07 PM
Why? That's based on last season, not this season...

Well, considering that there's NOTHING objective upon which to base things for THIS season, using last year's results is - to me - intrinsically superior....

Towson won 13 games last year. The guys on the Richmond and Villanova squads didn't win that many games combined last year. If they were all that, their record should have been better...

You might as well throw darts at a list of schools if you're going to put a 6-5 team ahead of a 13-3 team before the first game's even been played...

clenz
July 23rd, 2014, 06:15 PM
So if a team losses 22 starters, 37 of the 44 on the 2 deep and most of the coaching staff but they won 13 games the year before they should still be top 4 nationally for the next season?

Yes. That's exteme, but not far off NDSU this season.

There had to be a look back at last year but you have to take away who is not there anymore and who is coming back.

clenz
July 23rd, 2014, 06:17 PM
But i didn't play d1 ball because i turned that chance down... So i know nothing about football, or any athletic... Fpc has made that more than clear to me

dudeitsaid
July 23rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
Well, considering that there's NOTHING objective upon which to base things for THIS season, using last year's results is - to me - intrinsically superior....

It's all just a matter of philosophy on your individual approach to the process. Like you said, your approach - to you- is intrinsically superior. But it is inferior in the minds of many others, and their positions are just as logical and valid as yours, since, as you said, you are looking forward to what will happen in the next season.

NDSU already won the prize. We don't have to give them the consolation of being number one in preseason just because they won the crown last year. To not allow for educated speculation of how a team will perform next year by taking into account that this is NOT the same team that won last years crown seems completely logical and fair considering the circumstances. There are changes to the team that in my estimation will impact the level of success they experience next year. I don't personally see NDSU winning the crown next year. And that isn't a slight to them. But why would someone rank them number one if they didn't believe they'd end the season that way? And if their speculation on where a team is going to end up at is based on the available information, and not just throwing darts at schools, I'd have to say it's at least as legitimate as any other process.

That being said, over the course of the season, these things seem to sort themselves out for the most part. The polls are never completely in agreement, but they are relatively close, especially in the top spots it seems.

tru
July 23rd, 2014, 06:41 PM

Haha now ur just takin it too far. If Alabama won 3 bcs championships inna row, then lost everything ndsu did u think bama would be preseason ranked #1? No chance, by tha end of tha season they might be there when all young talent jells, but not preseason. Tha talent Towson and ndsu both lost this offseason, I would still have them both down a few more spots preseason rankings. 5th and 15th or so.

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 07:21 PM
But i didn't play d1 ball because i turned that chance down... So i know nothing about football, or any athletic... Fpc has made that more than clear to me

Butthurt much?

C'mon....you're the same guy who tried to pass off Ronaldo Christiano as a 10 flat sprinter for 96 meters, despite the fact that the video was obviously sped up...and despite the fact that there WAS objective testing of the guy's speed...

IF you're telling me that you really thought he was a 10 flat guy for 96 meters, then I'll double down on what I said previously.

You really don't understand athleticism. Looks and peformance are two different things...

coover
July 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Non-sense! NDSU is #1 until proven otherwise. I'd say the coaching change in Fargo won't make a difference xcoffeexNo, No, NO! The preseason selections are based on the talent that remains from last year, not on last years talent. By the way, I was amazed by how good NDSU was last year and glad that a former Great West Football Conference member was so successful. But your success last year means absolutely nothing. You want to be number 1 again this year? You can start by winning games this year. I wish you well, but I don't see the talent at NDSU this year that I see at Eastern Washington.

I am not an Eastern Washington rooter and could care less about their ranking. But I've seen their talent, they have it, and they deserve to be preseason #!. The real question, of course, is where they are ranked later in the season and seeded in the playoffs. To be the number 1 seed, they have to play like number 1, and they might not be there after 12 games. We will only know in late November.

And if NDSU plays this year like a number 1 after 12 games, they will deserve to be seeded #1 for the playoffs. Will they? With the remaining talent from last year, I doubt it.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 23rd, 2014, 08:32 PM
That's a Youngstown poster you're replying to.

Milkman
July 23rd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Funny how NDSU posters were loud out spoken and extremely confident the last 3 years and went ahead and dominated for 3 years. Now we are reserved and cautiously optimistic. Maybe we are just an intelligent fan base that likes to beat our chests when the moment is right.

Milkman
July 23rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
For the record I wouldn't rank NDSU 1# but I would say they have the talent and system to compete with anyone and will compete for a 4th title. The beauty of a playoff system

Danco
July 23rd, 2014, 10:18 PM
There is a Lion in the mix this year.

clenz
July 23rd, 2014, 10:52 PM
For the record I wouldn't rank NDSU 1# but I would say they have the talent and system to compete with anyone and will compete for a 4th title. The beauty of a playoff system

I don't have NDSU number 1...I do have them top 5 right now though.

Herder
July 24th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Go ahead and pick EWU #1 and watch them put up 50 each "weak" on the Big Sky defenses, but don't kid yourself that they'd hang with NDSU. I'd put the over/under at 17 what EWU would be able to do vs. the 2014 NDSU defense. You people are pretty slow learners.

Bison pride
July 24th, 2014, 12:18 AM

I agree, and has sela ever done. Thanks if you can tell me

ysubigred
July 24th, 2014, 02:23 PM
That's a Youngstown poster you're replying to.

Coming from a HOMER like you I'll take that as a compliment xthumbsupx

In Tressel we trust xsmiley_wix

http://110nationsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/A-young-Jim-Tressel-during-his-coaching-days-with-the-Youngstown-State-University-Pengins..jpg

dudeitsaid
July 24th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Go ahead and pick EWU #1 and watch them put up 50 each "weak" on the Big Sky defenses, but don't kid yourself that they'd hang with NDSU. I'd put the over/under at 17 what EWU would be able to do vs. the 2014 NDSU defense. You people are pretty slow learners.

True, EWU would likely not score as much on the defense minded Bison. Doesn't mean they wouldn't win this year. Maybe we'll get the chance to find out.

Obviously, I'm a homer, but I really can't remember an EWU team with as much talent as the one coming this year. With an offense I predict to be as strong as last years, but an improved defense (not saying top flight, but better than average), I think they will be able to compete, if not beat any team in the FCS in 2014. That being said, the best teams will also be able to beat them, and I would not count the Bison out in any game.

uofmman1122
July 24th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Three pages and not a single mention of Montana at 4?

What happened to this place? It used to be good.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2014, 05:28 PM

What happened to this place? It used to be good.

This is honest, no sandbag, straight talk.

That is obscenely high for us at this point.

Lehigh'98
July 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM

You can't have it both ways. Beating your chest as a powerhouse 3x champ, then come back and try to play the underdog role. The Bison aren't sneaking up on anyone this year. They will be big favorite in all but 2 games

MTfan4life
July 24th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Richmond may be high, but the real issue is having Montana at 4. Sure, the chosen one Jordan Johnson returns, but the Griz lose a large bulk of their offensive line. Also, they lose multiple key parts of a defense that allowed 30+ four times and 40+ three times in 2013. They showed in the playoffs last season, that regardless of how well your offense plays, it has to be perfect if your defense can't make a stop. Until the defensive issues are proven to be at least somewhat resolved, I can't see ranking the Griz in even the top 15, much less the top 5. IMHO

uofmman1122
July 24th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Richmond may be high, but the real issue is having Montana at 4. Sure, the chosen one Jordan Johnson returns, but the Griz lose a large bulk of their offensive line. Also, they lose multiple key parts of a defense that allowed 30+ four times and 40+ three times in 2013. They showed in the playoffs last season, that regardless of how well your offense plays, it has to be perfect if your defense can't make a stop. Until the defensive issues are proven to be at least somewhat resolved, I can't see ranking the Griz in even the top 15, much less the top 5. IMHOYup.

tomq04
July 24th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I ended up putting NDSU at #1, and Montana somewhere in the top 10... there is some good points being made their defense. Also lots of points about EWU bulked up defense.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I ended up putting NDSU at #1, and Montana somewhere in the top 10... there is some good points being made their defense. Also lots of points about EWU bulked up defense.

Hey tom, this thread is about another outlets ranking just in case there was confusion there.

coover
July 24th, 2014, 07:29 PM

What happened to this place? It used to be good.Yes, Montana is an impressive #4. They are also a not so impressive #2 in the Big Sky while I also admit that my guys are an even less impressive #4 in the Big Sky. Since we do not have to face Eastern Washington this year, Montana may be the best team we face all season, though South Dakota State may be equally as good,

Bison pride
July 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Funny how NDSU posters were loud out spoken and extremely confident the last 3 years and went ahead and dominated for 3 years. Now we are reserved and cautiously optimistic. Maybe we are just an intelligent fan base that likes to beat our chests when the moment is right.

Theres plenty of loud ones, that's good though there is no concern in bisonation

LeadBolt
July 24th, 2014, 08:25 PM

In 2012 Maine finished 6-6. In at least one final 2013 regular season poll they were ranked #9, where UR is shown here. That doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch, based upon recent history.

Red & Black
July 24th, 2014, 08:34 PM

Yeah. I'd definitely take that bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herder
July 24th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Yeah. I'd definitely take that bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Last year's Towson juggernaut that took you out in your house got 7. You sure about that?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Last year's Towson juggernaut that took you out in your house got 7. You sure about that?

You seem quite misguided and sensitive that with the massive rollover in talent from last year people might want to pull back a little...even though we all surely need you to learn us something even though we were all pretty sure NDSU was unbeatable last year.

That team isn't back so you'll have to excuse those of us that think it may be a little more problematic this year...even though NDSU has a good shot to end up right back at the top. It ain't a lock.

EWU would have laid some points on ya last year and lost badly, I'm sure. This ain't last year so your bet ain't near as safe and at this point I'd be happy to take your wager if the two teams were meeting. At the end of the year, maybe not.

Red & Black
July 25th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Last year's Towson juggernaut that took you out in your house got 7. You sure about that?

Well, we're not talking about last year, but if we're going to use it as a comparison, the problem with your argument is that EWU wasn't just scoring points on Big Sky defenses...they were scoring points on everyone they played. 49 against Oregon State, 41 against South Dakota State, 35 against Jax State and Towson in the playoffs. Scoring points wasn't our problem last year. The lack of a dominating defense is what finally caught up with us last year, even though by all accounts we should have beat Towson.

I am sure NDSU will have a good defense again this year. I don't think it will be as good as last year's, but who knows. We'll see how the season plays out, but at this point I feel fairly confident we're going to score a lot of points on most FCS teams.

clenz
July 25th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Well, we're not talking about last year, but if we're going to use it as a comparison, the problem with your argument is that EWU wasn't just scoring points on Big Sky defenses...they were scoring points on everyone they played. 49 against Oregon State, 41 against South Dakota State, 35 against Jax State and Towson in the playoffs. Scoring points wasn't our problem last year. The lack of a dominating defense is what finally caught up with us last year, even though by all accounts we should have beat Towson.

I am sure NDSU will have a good defense again this year. I don't think it will be as good as last year's, but who knows. We'll see how the season plays out, but at this point I feel fairly confident we're going to score a lot of points on most FCS teams.

Remember last season when it was said EWU's downfall would be when they played someone with a better than average defense combined with a better than average offense they wouldn't be able to keep up/keep others from scoring?

Unless that changes this year I see a similar result. Looking real good against almost every team and putting up big numbers, but when facing a complete team the result ending very differently.

FormerPokeCenter
July 25th, 2014, 11:45 AM
In 2012 Maine finished 6-6. In at least one final 2013 regular season poll they were ranked #9, where UR is shown here. That doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch, based upon recent history.

Okay, but where was Maine listed in the pre-season 2013 poll?

Red & Black
July 25th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Remember last season when it was said EWU's downfall would be when they played someone with a better than average defense combined with a better than average offense they wouldn't be able to keep up/keep others from scoring?

Unless that changes this year I see a similar result. Looking real good against almost every team and putting up big numbers, but when facing a complete team the result ending very differently.

We kept up with Towson just fine. If it were not for a couple of really bone headed plays the complete collaps of the defense in the last minute or so wouldn't have even been an issue.

I get what you're saying, though. Our defense will need to play better to win a championship in 2014. That's the difference between our 2010 team and the 2012 and 2013 versions.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2014, 07:02 PM
EWU, Fordham, UNH and Montana are definitely offense first teams heading into the season. Overall, I think all 4 are top shelf teams.

With the grad losses in Fargo, I don't believe defense will reign as supreme this year.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 25th, 2014, 07:42 PM
EWU, Fordham, UNH and Montana are definitely offense first teams heading into the season. Overall, I think all 4 are top shelf teams.

With the grad losses in Fargo, I don't believe defense will reign as supreme this year.

The half dozen or so defensive starters returning might disagree

heath
July 25th, 2014, 07:58 PM
yep Towsonxthumbsupx or wait THAT other CAA team.......NH

tru
July 25th, 2014, 08:49 PM
The half dozen or so defensive starters returning might disagree

Very homerish post there. I love seein how overall only 17 other schools lost more talent than ndsu, add in losing head coach, and some don't think it's a big step back from tha last 3 seasons

McNeese75
July 25th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Very homerish post there. I love seein how overall only 17 other schools lost more talent than ndsu, add in losing head coach, and some don't think it's a big step back from tha last 3 seasons

It's that kool-aid thing xcoffeex

gotts
July 25th, 2014, 09:02 PM
You can't have it both ways. Beating your chest as a powerhouse 3x champ, then come back and try to play the underdog role. The Bison aren't sneaking up on anyone this year. They will be big favorite in all but 2 games

I thought you Lehigh guys understood humor :)

NoDak 4 Ever
July 25th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Just keep thinking it was a flash in the pan.

Bisonator
July 25th, 2014, 10:03 PM

You have to understand that most NDSU fans lived this back in the '80s. NDSU won 5 division 2 championships with 3 different head coaches and of course different players. The fans expect to win. The coaches expect to win. The players expect to win. Doesn't mean we will just why some fans don't think there will be a huge fall off from a couple years ago. We'll see though anything can happen.

dudeitsaid
July 25th, 2014, 11:18 PM
You have to understand that most NDSU fans lived this back in the '80s. NDSU won 5 division 2 championships with 3 different head coaches and of course different players. The fans expect to win. The coaches expect to win. The players expect to win. Doesn't mean we will just why some fans don't think there will be a huge fall off from a couple years ago. We'll see though anything can happen.

What's funny is, I don't think NDSU will win it all this year, but I still think they will end up deep in the playoffs. A rebuilding year for you may be only making it to the quarterfinals! There are a few teams out there that just don't seem to have much of a drop off, no matter what happens (UM for a very long time, for example). NDSU hits me as one of those teams. Somehow I think you guys will always be in the mix. If the worst it gets is finishing on the bottom of the top ten, for most teams, that would be a dream come true.

In those past years, when there was a coaching change, were the championships immediate? If there were five, that's a heck of a lot, but that means there were five years NDSU didn't win. You guys very well may this year as well. But most teams with the type of turnover you've experienced have at least some transition to overcome.

SeattleGriz
July 26th, 2014, 12:08 AM
We kept up with Towson just fine. If it were not for a couple of really bone headed plays the complete collaps of the defense in the last minute or so wouldn't have even been an issue.

I get what you're saying, though. Our defense will need to play better to win a championship in 2014. That's the difference between our 2010 team and the 2012 and 2013 versions.

That and Adams needs to not overthrow a vertical wide receiver, which is virtually impossible. He showed his weakness on that throw. He is either on or off with every throw.

centennial
July 26th, 2014, 12:58 AM
What's funny is, I don't think NDSU will win it all this year, but I still think they will end up deep in the playoffs. A rebuilding year for you may be only making it to the quarterfinals! There are a few teams out there that just don't seem to have much of a drop off, no matter what happens (UM for a very long time, for example). NDSU hits me as one of those teams. Somehow I think you guys will always be in the mix. If the worst it gets is finishing on the bottom of the top ten, for most teams, that would be a dream come true.

In those past years, when there was a coaching change, were the championships immediate? If there were five, that's a heck of a lot, but that means there were five years NDSU didn't win. You guys very well may this year as well. But most teams with the type of turnover you've experienced have at least some transition to overcome.
I can agree with this for most part. NDSU might not win it this year BUT other teams have to prove that they can beat us. We have 2 games this year that we can lose - Iowa State and UNI. I would put UNI as the upset special. Our lines and backups were well rotated, and the backups were legitimately better than a lot of playoff team starters. No one disagrees that there will be a dropoff, the question is will it be enough? The rest of the FCS(except UNI) made us look like a BCS team last year.

wmmii
July 26th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Haha now ur just takin it too far. If Alabama won 3 bcs championships inna row, then lost everything ndsu did u think bama would be preseason ranked #1? No chance, by tha end of tha season they might be there when all young talent jells, but not preseason. Tha talent Towson and ndsu both lost this offseason, I would still have them both down a few more spots preseason rankings. 5th and 15th or so.

I concur, also got the Spiders in top 10, they are loaded.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Earle Solomonson won a championship in his first year.

Rocky Hager in his second

Red & Black
July 26th, 2014, 01:17 PM
That and Adams needs to not overthrow a vertical wide receiver, which is virtually impossible. He showed his weakness on that throw. He is either on or off with every throw.

False. A handful of bad throws over the course of a season does not a trend make.

An almost 66% completion percentage, 183.1 efficiency rating, 4994 yards and 55 TD's against only 15 Int's says otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Who's saying that, exactly?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Who's saying that, exactly?

I'm merely explicitly stating what people are thinking. NDSU is basically a JUCO team with a failed DIII coach so they are taking an enormous step back.

underdawg
July 26th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Really? You must be a mind reader if you feel everyone thinks that. I'd say a step back does not necessarily mean you're a JUCO team. I think a lot of Bison fans are getting a bit defensive.

Red & Black
July 26th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I'm merely explicitly stating what people are thinking. NDSU is basically a JUCO team with a failed DIII coach so they are taking an enormous step back.

I think most informed people have NDSU very highly ranked right now. I've got you guys #3 in my poll. I don't think it's so much a case of people thinking NDSU is going to take some sort of massive step back as it is people just thinking you may not be the favorites heading into the season. Even you guys have to acknowledge the departures and coaching change is significant, no?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Really? You must be a mind reader if you feel everyone thinks that. I'd say a step back does not necessarily mean you're a JUCO team. I think a lot of Bison fans are getting a bit defensive.

I didn't find the word "everyone" in my post. Is it somehow showing in your view?

The Ville
July 26th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I don't think NDSU at No. 3 is necessarily a knock to the Bison. Realistically the landscape in Fargo has dramatically changed where one in Cheney (that was also successful last year) looks very identical this coming season. Every other school would kill to be favored in the top 3 preseason, and that comes after all the change that has occurred. I would still consider that respect for NDSU.

dudeitsaid
July 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM

LOL, most of the comments NoDak has been making have been made in jest, IMO. Nobody is truly taking NDSU lightly. Sorry, but they will have a huge target on their back, and most teams will still be bringing their best game against them. If they drop from a number one to a number three team, there won't be many people in a position to take them lightly.

It will be interesting to see who is the "underdog" when the game versus UNI takes place. That's a game circled on my calendar. UNI, if they can overcome the injury bug seems like they could supplant NDSU this year. And as Centennial has it stated as the "upset special," it could be NDSU in the role of upsetting UNI by that time. Who knows? At this point, I don't have a favorite in that game, but by that time, there should be one. I would love to watch that game tomorrow!

Bisonoline
July 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I am kind of up in the air where we should be in the preseason poll. One-I hate when teams are ranked just because of who they are. EX would be Michigan. There was a time when they were continually being ranked in the top ten regardless of their past season or the players they lost. Then I also have the the thought that until somebody beats the number one they are still number one. But when I look at this years team we lost a lot of key players and we have had a high turnover of coaches. So I guess if we are in the Top 5 I really dont have any issues with it.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I put them 2. They may have lost a bunch but they are still pretty damn good.

That being said. I have no confidence in EWU or UNI.

Bisonator
July 26th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I'd have NDSU #3. Couldn't gripe about anywhere in the top 10 actually but I don't really see 9 teams I'd have ahead of us. Its just a stupid preseason pole anyway. Meaningless really.

Fordham
July 26th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I put them #1. In my mind they are clearly top 5 and, for me, anyone in the top 5 has a shot. Just seemed right that if they're in that elite mix AND they're 3x champs, they should get the nod. Bit of a reward for an incredible run but not outlandish to put them there either. Just my .02

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 26th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I had NDSU #3. They're one of the favorites but not thee favorite. NDSU's success has come on the heels of App State's so there is precedent for this. I 'm pretty sure App's run came to an end against eventual champ Richmond.....

I'd be shocked if the Bison weren't one of the last 4-8 teams still standing in December....

UNIFanSince1983
July 26th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I put them 2. They may have lost a bunch but they are still pretty damn good.

That being said. I have no confidence in EWU or UNI.

I have no confidence in UNI either. A team that was 7-5 last year is ranked #5 in the preseason? That is high to me. Put us in the #20 range and I think we are good.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I have no confidence in UNI either. A team that was 7-5 last year is ranked #5 in the preseason? That is high to me. Put us in the #20 range and I think we are good.

I wouldn't say that but until your team can finish what they started...well, you know more than anyone.

bjtheflamesfan
July 26th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Not to sell my hand too much on my AGS ballot but I have the Bison #2 and UNI in the top 10. I see the MVC as a two or three bid league for 2014 (joined by SDSU)

McNeese72
July 27th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Why is McNeese even ranked? Geeze, when is the last time we ever did anything in the playoffs when we even make them??

Doc

Lehigh'98
July 27th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Honestly, I think UNI is getting top 3 votes due to the injury propaganda posted here. Not to say they aren't a very talented bunch, but if a team has a history of injuries and poor finishes, there's probably more to it than just bad luck. Reality is they were a 7-5 team last year.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Honestly, I think UNI is getting top 3 votes due to the injury propaganda posted here. Not to say they aren't a very talented bunch, but if a team has a history of injuries and poor finishes, there's probably more to it than just bad luck. Reality is they were a 7-5 team last year.

I'm sorry...you must have missed what a relatively healthy UNI team was able to do last season...

If you expect the following injuries to happen again then..well...ocean front property in ND for sale

Starting DT lost before the season to broken foot
#1 WR lost before the season due to torn ACL
#1 TE lost halfway through the first half of the first game of the season to a dislocated elbow...then comes back 3 weeks later and tears his ACL in the first quarter
#2 QB/KR/RB/WR suffers grade 3 concussion in the 4th game of the season and isn't right the rest of the year...BUT is forced to start 3 or 4 games because
#1 QB suffers a concussion...rumors of it actually being 2
#1 LB (was top 5-10 in the nation in tackles at the time) goes down with a broken leg for the rest of the season
#1 RB (and one of the top 2 or 3 in the nation) that was averaging about 180 YPG and over 8 ypc goes down with a hip flexor half way through the season
Forced to move a LB to running back because 2 other RBs were unable to play because of various reasons
#3 WR, and only SR in the skill positions last season, goes down with a broken foot in the 4th game.

Now, if those repeat them-self, yes, UNI will again struggle to adjust.

However, the QB position is deeper this year as every one has a year more experience.
The RB position is deeper with the addition of Barkley Hill from Iowa..and a rumored top 25 national recruit.
All of those players are now healthy

There is every reason to believe, barring that kind of injury filled season, that UNI is a top 5 team this year.

Lehigh'98
July 27th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry...you must have missed what a relatively healthy UNI team was able to do last season...

I saw, first 4.5 games were great. Not sure it warrants a preseason top 3 though.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I saw, first 4.5 games were great. Not sure it warrants a preseason top 3 though.

That teams is the team that is taking the field this year...with a couple starters back that were missing and a couple transfers on the offensive side of the ball that give depth that is unreal. That team is the only FCS team to even make NDSU sweat just a little. That was the only FCS team within 2 scores of NDSU last season - lead for 58 minutes of that game if you'll recall. That team is the one taking the field right now.

UNI has already announced Barkley Hill...the other was rumored to be coming to UNI a year ago but didn't...he did not. Former #1 player in the state of Missouri and #22 nationally.

Those two with DJ create a killer backfield

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Based on what teams have coming back, what the players coming back produced last season, and the potential ceiling of those teams for this coming season there is almost no reason to have UNI outside of the top 5-10.

Now, if the season plays out that way is a different story book yet to be opened. Preseason though, UNI is clearly one of the top teams in the nation.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM

If you expect the following injuries to happen again then..well...ocean front property in ND for sale

#1 TE lost halfway through the first half of the first game of the season to a dislocated elbow...then comes back 3 weeks later and tears his ACL in the first quarter
#2 QB/KR/RB/WR suffers grade 3 concussion in the 4th game of the season and isn't right the rest of the year...BUT is forced to start 3 or 4 games because
#1 LB (was top 5-10 in the nation in tackles at the time) goes down with a broken leg for the rest of the season
#1 RB (and one of the top 2 or 3 in the nation) that was averaging about 180 YPG and over 8 ypc goes down with a hip flexor half way through the season
Forced to move a LB to running back because 2 other RBs were unable to play because of various reasons
#3 WR, and only SR in the skill positions last season, goes down with a broken foot in the 4th game.

However, the QB position is deeper this year as every one has a year more experience.
The RB position is deeper with the addition of Barkley Hill from Iowa..and a rumored top 25 national recruit.

There is every reason to believe, barring that kind of injury filled season, that UNI is a top 5 team this year.

Sounds similar to us last year ... thankfully we had depth to carry us through the regular season and into the quarterfinals.

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure you can anoint this Hill fellow as anything quite yet. He could be a good one...he could be a total bust. he could injure himself the first week of practice. He could end up an all-American. You really dont know what will happen until those pads go on and he suits up in the UNI purple. same with this other rumored player

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure you can anoint this Hill fellow as anything quite yet. He could be a good one...he could be a total bust. he could injure himself the first week of practice. He could end up an all-American. You really dont know what will happen until those pads go on and he suits up in the UNI purple. same with this other rumored player

The other has proven himself to be a very serviceable back on an absolute capitalistic FBS team with no blocking for him at a place he wasn't wanted after a coaching change.

I'm not anointing them anything - UNI has seen 5 star transfers come in and do a half a step above nothing (Whitney Lewis from USC). Hill was the Gatorade player of the Year in Iowa his SR year, averaged something like 8 YPC in his career in high school (playing in the dome for his home games) and was set to start for Iowa as a true freshman. He won't start a head of DJ and could "bust out" but I would put him much more likely to be an AC player before he's done than a bust.

The other has a much higher floor than Hill, but has had some "issues" at his previous school due to a coaching change. Was rumored before and never showed. He has a ton of talent, if he is "reigned in''

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I didnt say Hill would be a bust, I said he could be, but he could do the exact opposite just as well. I'm saying, let's get him suited up for UNI first. What he did at Iowa is what he did at Iowa and its in the annals of history now...he has a new story to write in Cedar Rapids (or is it Cedar Falls) and I want to see the first words written on the page before calling it a best seller

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I didnt say Hill would be a bust, I said he could be, but he could do the exact opposite just as well. I'm saying, let's get him suited up for UNI first. What he did at Iowa is what he did at Iowa and its in the annals of history now...he has a new story to write in Cedar Rapids (or is it Cedar Falls) and I want to see the first words written on the page before calling it a best seller

So...

Preseason polls are based on potential for the coming season....and you don't see UNI has a potential top 5-10 team based on having a full, healthy, squad with some backs coming in that would be starting at 7 or 8 other teams in the conference...?

Other than "they've had injuries in the past" what is your reasoning for feeling that UNI isn't a preseason top 5-10 program based on what is returning for this season?

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2014, 03:55 PM
You actually will be pleasantly surprised by where I have the Panthers in my AGS ballot when we discuss them after the preseason poll is announced. Hill notwithstanding, I think if they arent beset by injuries like last year, youll give NDSU all they can handle. if they havent lost to Iowa state or anyone else by then, I really think theyll drop that game and finally get knocked off the top of the mountain

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM
One final not before I go watch the Rugrats in Paris movie with my daughter...

If you want to play the "Yeah, well if UNI loses 9 starters again this year they won't be top 10" card I expect you to play that with every team. Basically ranked based on second team...and then remember that last years "first team" for UNI for 5 or 6 games is now UNI's second team in a lot of ways.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2014, 04:10 PM
One final not before I go watch the Rugrats in Paris movie with my daughter...

If you want to play the "Yeah, well if UNI loses 9 starters again this year they won't be top 10" card I expect you to play that with every team. Basically ranked based on second team...and then remember that last years "first team" for UNI for 5 or 6 games is now UNI's second team in a lot of ways.

We had a similar injury situation last year and made it to the quarterfinals.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM
We had a similar injury situation last year and made it to the quarterfinals.
Similar...?

Did all but 2 also happen in a 2 week span so that the learning curve was non-existant?

Once the players got up to speed as a unit the team recovered winning the last three games of the season.

It's not like UNI was blown out when the injuries happened... 3 straight OT games and an All American kicker missing a 30 yard FG away from knocking off SDSU.

Then again, this isn't about last season. This is about this year and the potential each a team has.

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Agreed...which is why I have the Panthers much higher than you might expect me to.

Houndawg
July 27th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Sounds like you need to light a fire under the S&C coach.xcoffeex

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Similar...?

Did all but 2 also happen in a 2 week span so that the learning curve was non-existant?

Once the players got up to speed as a unit the team recovered winning the last three games of the season.

It's not like UNI was blown out when the injuries happened... 3 straight OT games and an All American kicker missing a 30 yard FG away from knocking off SDSU.

Then again, this isn't about last season. This is about this year and the potential each a team has.

Let's see ... we lost three starting OL by mid-season, a starting CB who is now on an NFL roster, plus his backup ... our top returning LB from 2012, plus a backup ... our starting QB went down on the 2nd series of the Samford game with a knee injury, which required a brace the remainder of the season; then he tore a ligament in his throwing thumb on the first series of the McNeese game, and played with it heavily taped the rest of the year - he aggravated it on the first series of the New Hampshire game, and had surgery on it a few days after. We lost our starting center before the playoffs started, plus a starting DT. I think all tolled, we had in the neighborhood of 15 surgeries.

I'm not saying we had it any worse than you guys, or even AS bad, but my point is, we all have injuries.

BTW, I have UNI ranked 3rd on my ballot.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2014, 07:15 PM

WTF?

I've not seen one post from anyone that even hints at this statement. It's a pretty good disconnect to state this but maybe you are manufacturing it so there is some us against the world thing?

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
WTF?

I've not seen one post from anyone that even hints at this statement. It's a pretty good disconnect to state this but maybe you are manufacturing it so there is some us against the world thing?
Bingo

Bisonoline
July 27th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Wow dude somebody needs to bring some voodoo babe in and take the curse off.

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2014, 09:31 PM
If William & Mary has a good QB they will be a team to watch. I agree with you guys on UNI. UNI should be very good. I have NDSU, SDSU, and UNI in my top 10.

I think this could be an interesting year because I expect 2 Big South teams to get in along with 2 or 3 SoCon, and for the CAA to have 5 or 6 potential playoff contenders.

ThompsonThe
July 28th, 2014, 12:19 AM
But why is Liberty not listed? All that money they are spending on football and not even in a top #25 preseason poll?
Are they not recruiting well?

ThompsonThe
July 28th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Was surprised to see James Madison at # 22, with them being #7 in the CAA coaches poll.
And at six wins and six losses.

MTfan4life
July 28th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Was surprised to see James Madison at # 22, with them being #7 in the CAA coaches poll.
And at six wins and six losses.

At lot of picks in this poll seem to be based far too much on historical results and program prestige. It IS a late July preseason poll though. It's all just speculation right now.

bjtheflamesfan
July 28th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Liberty isn't the team that spent much of the last few years blowing away Big South teams so they probably decided they aren't worth ranking

clenz
July 28th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Liberty isn't the team that spent much of the last few years blowing away Big South teams so they probably decided they aren't worth ranking
Liberty was something like 36th in my poll of 38 teams.

There are some things that work against Liberty - admittedly almost all based on history and not as much based on this year. Yes, I see the contradiction on that from where I stand....I also don't think the Big South is on a top 25 level. CCU was a clear exception last year, and maybe going forward. However, the Big South isn't great...and honestly, had CCU lost to Montana in the playoffs I don't think they'd be higher than 15 in anyone's polls.

Anyway...things that keep Liberty lower in my poll than they maybe *should be* at times.

There aren't really any signature wins, ever, for Liberty it seems like. The schedule typically looks pretty weak. Last season the OOC was 2 sub D1 games, 6-6 MEAC Morgan State, 6-6 NEC Monmouth, 1 FBS game, Richmond and ODU with losses to ODU, Richmond, and the FBS. 4 wins against really poor teams and nothing to hang the hat on other than "Well, we played CCU close and didn't lose to any of the bottom feeders in the Big South". 2012 was almost identical, though they did find a way to beat playoff bound Stony Brook, but that was the only win against a team over .500. 2011 1 win over a team over .500. 2010 saw an FBS win...against a last place MAC team and that was about it there as well.

The story with Liberty is identical every year - play the better teams on the schedule close but lose and then beat the crap out of the Big South. That is usually followed, though not as much the last year or two, by Liberty/Big South fans talking Liberty up like they've done something by not losing by a lot and exorcising those demons against the lepers of the conference.

If Liberty were to stop scheduling as many Sub D1s or bottom half MEAC/NEC D1 teams - and then beat them they'd probably crack the top 25 and maybe get a first round playoff game.

The reality for Big South teams is your conference is behind the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, SoCon, Southland, OVC, and MEAC for playoff conferences. It's going to take your champions making deep, consistent, runs for the rest of the conference to get any "real" respect nationally. Having said that 98% of the AGS members struggle to understand why the MEAC and OVC get the respect they do from selection committee and voting members.

The potential for Liberty to crack the 25 is there, which is why I considered them. They just struggle to ever live up to any amount of hype. I'd rather be late to their party than early and be made to look a fool for not seeing that the pattern was repeating itself....maybe I'm wrong for that.

knucklehead
July 28th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Some decent points Clenz. Trust me, we fans and the administration are also frustrated with the lack of Playoffs and that "hang your hat on it" win. Will a win in Boone or a win vs UR in Lynchburg this year suffice?

I still say LU is a young program with a big upside. The success will come and soon, and no we don't mind if you want to wait till it happens to give any credit out.

We are told by AD Barber that this year's DII (Brevard) is a hold over from a commitment that had to be made after a late cancellation last year. The plan is that this is the last one.

gotts
July 28th, 2014, 08:57 AM
WTF?

From my perspective, I'm reading these statements having much more jest than people are taking away :D

clenz
July 28th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Some decent points Clenz. Trust me, we fans and the administration are also frustrated with the lack of Playoffs and that "hang your hat on it" win. Will a win in Boone or a win vs UR in Lynchburg this year suffice?

I still say LU is a young program with a big upside. The success will come and soon, and no we don't mind if you want to wait till it happens to give any credit out.

We are told by AD Barber that this year's DII (Brevard) is a hold over from a commitment that had to be made after a late cancellation last year. The plan is that this is the last one.
UR, in a preseason vacuum, looks like it'd be a good win.

App State I can't judge yet. I don't know what to make of last season.

Herder
July 28th, 2014, 11:44 AM
If William & Mary has a good QB they will be a team to watch. I agree with you guys on UNI. UNI should be very good. I have NDSU, SDSU, and UNI in my top 10.

I think this could be an interesting year because I expect 2 Big South teams to get in along with 2 or 3 SoCon, and for the CAA to have 5 or 6 potential playoff contenders.

When will the selection committee, who tries to get as many CAA teams in as possible, realize that their 5-6 CAA contenders would lose to the top 5-6 teams in the Valley. Yet, every year 4-5 from the CAA get in, and 2-3 from the MVFC get in. Selection Committee and pollsters are living in 2004, not 2014. Sagarin ratings show the truth in recent years, and it wasn't close in 2013.

Silenoz
July 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Now we are reserved and cautiously optimistic. Maybe we are just an intelligent fan base that likes to beat our chests when the moment is right.

Are we reading the same posts?...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2014, 12:04 PM
From my perspective, I'm reading these statements having much more jest than people are taking away :D

Absolutely I've gotten that out of his other posts but didn't see that in the one I quoted. Sort of going the other way seems like.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 28th, 2014, 09:17 PM

Clenz, weren't you one of the people dismissing the injury argument for EWU in 2011? That list looks similar.

xlmaox

Thanks John Madden.