PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'

bluedog
July 22nd, 2014, 05:52 PM
Bob Bowlsby sees bleak landscape (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11243234/bob-bowlsby-big-12-commissioner-says-cheating-pays-ncaa-enforcement-broken)
Updated: July 22, 2014, 9:29 AM ET
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com

DALLAS -- Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says "cheating pays" in the NCAA these days and doesn't foresee things getting much better in the future.

During his annual state-of-the-league address from Big 12 media days Monday, Bowlsby slammed the NCAA, notably the enforcement wing of college sports' governing body.

"Enforcement is broken," he said. "The infractions committee hasn't had [an FBS] hearing in almost a year, and I think it's not an understatement to say cheating pays presently. If you seek to conspire to certainly bend the rules, you can do it successfully and probably not get caught in most occasions."

Bowlsby added that he didn't think cheating was necessarily rampant in college sports. But he painted a bleak outlook for the future NCAA.

bonarae
July 22nd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Bowlsby is right. The lower divisions are enforced more harshly than the FBS. Yet the FBS is more deserving of sanctions as of late... xsmhx

Bison pride
July 22nd, 2014, 07:12 PM
Bowls by should work on the p5 becoming less snobbish

Bisonator
July 22nd, 2014, 07:22 PM
He's basically ripping his own schools since they are members of the NCAA too. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

bluedog
July 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
Everything is simply a reflection of our society.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2014, 11:09 PM
I've read his comments several times and I'm at a loss to his agenda. On the one hand, he's spitting out the same story in the sense that he's trying to emasculate the role of the NCAA. On the other, he's saying that non-revenue sports are on the way to disappearing.

Best I can figure he's repeating the "change is inevitable" mantra when it is decidedly not true that change is inevitable.

walliver
July 23rd, 2014, 11:01 AM
I really don't like these "cheating pays" accusations which are never backed up by details. Who exactly is getting paid by cheating?

Auburn is a fairly prominent contender. Alabama has been accused. Texas A&M and Florida State don't look good. But the B12's own Oklahoma State seems less than chaste in this matter.

bluedog
July 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I really don't like these "cheating pays" accusations which are never backed up by details. Who exactly is getting paid by cheating?

Auburn is a fairly prominent contender. Alabama has been accused. Texas A&M and Florida State don't look good. But the B12's own Oklahoma State seems less than chaste in this matter.

Cheating paids....difference