PDA

View Full Version : 2018 World Cup boycott: can it happen?

BigDGarciaFan
July 18th, 2014, 10:43 PM
after the events of yesterday regarding the Malaysian Airline jet gunned down by pro-Russian separatists, what are the chances of the US team boycotting the 2018 World Cup in Russia?

Laker
July 18th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Most people think that the boycott of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, followed by the Soviet boycott of the LA Olympics in 1984, was a mistake. Four years from now things will be very different. What they should do is tell the Russkis that the games will be moved. That would get their attention- and cause a rise in natural gas prices.

Bisonoline
July 18th, 2014, 11:30 PM
after the events of yesterday regarding the Malaysian Airline jet gunned down by pro-Russian separatists, what are the chances of the US team boycotting the 2018 World Cup in Russia?

All that would do is hurt the athletes who have trained for years.

BigDGarciaFan
July 19th, 2014, 12:29 AM
LAKER, why didnt i think of that? maybe the next world cup should be played in England or the US instead of Russia, right?

Laker
July 19th, 2014, 08:56 AM
LAKER, why didnt i think of that? maybe the next world cup should be played in England or the US instead of Russia, right?

Yes, why punish the athletes? Move it instead- Putin then has egg all over his face in addition to blood all over his hands.

darell1976
July 19th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Hold it in the country who had the most people killed..The Netherlands. I feel sorry for the Dutch and all others killed in that murderous act.

ALPHAGRIZ1
July 19th, 2014, 08:30 PM
All that would do is hurt the athletes who have trained for years.

You mean soccer players.............not athletes

Bisonoline
July 19th, 2014, 08:57 PM
You mean soccer players.............not athletes

I was referring to the Olympic athletes.

Smitty
July 23rd, 2014, 06:37 AM
With soccer getting the huge response from the US this past world cup, I honestly see FIFA moving the tournament if there was a chance for a boycott. They are doing their best to get soccer popular in the US and don't want to lose the steam after this past world cup.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 23rd, 2014, 09:57 AM
One team won't be missed out of the World Cup. They already have a ****storm brewing with Qatar.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Article not long ago said the U.S. could host a major national sporting event next month with their sports infrastructure.

Cannot say I would hate to see FIFA pull the world cup from Russia only to set it in the U.S.

tribe_pride
July 23rd, 2014, 09:26 PM
I think taking it from Qatar and giving to the US is more likely than taking from Russia

clenz
July 23rd, 2014, 09:49 PM
I highly doubt Russia gets pulled. They are too caught up with Qatar to worry about Russia right now.

If both got pulled, which won't happen you'd see USA in 18 and australia in 22