PDA

View Full Version : A problem I have with NASCAR

Georgia Griz
June 20th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Maybe it's a problem that I have with all professional sports, but anyway... I have a big problem with drivers losing their rides not because of performance, but instead because of marketing. I don't think that was what happened, but that's what Chip Ganassi Racing wants you to think. In case you haven't heard already, Sterlin Marlin lost his #40 Cup car for 2006 to David Stremme (who I think is a very good driver). Also, I think that we all know several 50+ year old men who drink beer. They might not consume it at the rate the youngsters do, but they still spend hard-earned money on it. You think that if Rusty Wallace wanted to stay around another year Miller Lite would want to sponsor him? Of course they would. I hope that Sterlin gets a Cup ride with someone else for 2006. I guess he could take the DEI #15 if Waltrip goes to the Roush #6.

"Sabates went on to explain that marketing, not performance, was the key reason behind the decision to replace Marlin with Stremme."

"That was the only reason, really," Sabatas said. "Coors came to us and said their marketing strategy had to be changed to young people. That's who buys beer today. You don't find many 50-year-old men, old guys, drinking beer."

"This business is a young man's sport today. Coors brand is catering to the 22- to 30-year-old crowd. Unfortunately we all get old. Not that Sterling is old, but he's not a marketing dream."

blukeys
June 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I don't neccessarily think you have to have a 20 something driver to sell beer to a 25 year old fan. Wallace, Dale Sr., Mark Martin etc are / were more popular with young guys than Jeff Gordon when Jeff broke into racing. Dale Jr, and Jimmie Johnson appear to be more popular with women than young men in my opinion. These are just my conclusions based on observations and I don't have any marketing studies to back this up.

The secret on Sterling is that he is horrible from a marketing standpoint. While no NASCAR driver is going to be president of the debating society, Sterling is the least articulate of the bunch. Reporters state that doing a phone interview with him is difficult as it is impossible to understand him at times. Naturally, they tend to go to other drivers for quick comments etc. This in turn gets Sterling fewer mentions in the press.

I think this is the main reason Coors is going in another direction. Going with a young driver makes sense as there are plenty of good young drivers available. If you want to make a long term marketing decision and associate a driver and a product it makes sense to line up a guy who has a long career ahead of him.

grizbeer
June 20th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Blukeys has pretty much covered it - it is hard to have a spokesman when you can't understand what they are saying. Also Sterlin doesn't fit into the Coors marketing plan - look at their football commercials with Kid Rock and the Twins - Sterlin is just out of place.

Remember when Jimmy Spencer drove the Target car, and they would have a picture of him with their other Ganassi Target Drivers - he clearly didn't fit the image Target wanted to portray. Add in how well Budweiser and Jr. have blended together, and Coors is probably feeling some pressure.

Personally I think they should have moved switched sponsors on the 40 and 42. McMurray would have been good for Coors, and Marlin would fit as spokesman for Texaco/Havolin.

blukeys
June 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Also, I think that we all know several 50+ year old men who drink beer. They might not consume it at the rate the youngsters do, but they still spend hard-earned money on it.

Damned right we still drink beer and can consume it at an unbelievable rate. We just don't check under the sofa cushions for change so we can buy a case of Old Milwaukee!! :D :rolleyes: :D

polsongrizz
June 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Alot of great points. I think this will be the norm in the future and not the exception.

FightinBluHen51
June 20th, 2005, 11:31 AM
The secret on Sterling is that he is horrible from a marketing standpoint. While no NASCAR driver is going to be president of the debating society, Sterling is the least articulate of the bunch. Reporters state that doing a phone interview with him is difficult as it is impossible to understand him at times. Naturally, they tend to go to other drivers for quick comments etc. This in turn gets Sterling fewer mentions in the press.

I think this is the main reason Coors is going in another direction. Going with a young driver makes sense as there are plenty of good young drivers available. If you want to make a long term marketing decision and associate a driver and a product it makes sense to line up a guy who has a long career ahead of him.

No. 1 the people that buy Coors light don't know what real beer is, so I can understand that. No. 2 the eliteist (sp?) media that is now involved in NASCAR because it's "popular" would never understand a Sterling Marlin or a Kenny Walace/Schrader, or any of the other "good ole" boys. I'm surprised that they give Bill Eliot who has just as thick a Southern accient as Marlin the time of day and he isn't even racing a full schedule. Dunno, that's just my $.02.

Eaglegus2
June 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Don't be surprised if Ricky Craven comes back to Nextel to drive the #6 car.

He is the driver of the #99 Truck for Rousch Racing in that series. Ricky can still drive the wheels off of a ride.

blukeys
June 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I'm surprised that they give Bill Eliot who has just as thick a Southern accient as Marlin the time of day and he isn't even racing a full schedule. Dunno, that's just my $.02.
It's not just the accent. Dollar Bill Eliot was always good for a colorful quote or story so he was sought out by the press. Darrell Waltrip is in the same category. Darrell could still find a sponsor today and never win another race. He was absolutely loved by the press and public because he is funny, quotable and colorful.