PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season 2014 FCS Champion Prediction Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Sometime feeding the trolls is fun, it is just difficult to find the right poison:)

On the other hand, I am looking forward to this season like no other probably since 2005. Still cautious though last year was like the best of times and the worst of times to go back to British Lit. From what I have heard, the coaches seem pretty pleased with the way spring went.

I wouldn't necessarily put us in the contenders bracket yet but there is certainly reason to think about it. Looking forward to all the games and I am not discounting any of them considering our horrible start last year, but certainly the 4th and 6th game prior to heading into the larger part of conference play (SC State and CCU) should be an interesting look at where we are.

I think we are clearly a SoCon contender, maybe not a national title contender at this point.

I agree that this is probably the best overall team we've fielded since 2005. This was the first time the Fowler goes into the spring not installing systems, but enforcing and expanding. There are not a lot of open ended questions about roles. I think this could be our best defense since 2003.

Raven Maniac
May 15th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Very true, although I'd offer that EWU's offensive style would have given NDSU's defense a better challenge both in 2012 and 2013. That said, teams from the Big Sky have played other teams from the MVFC in the playoffs in recent years.

2013 - EWU 41, South Dakota State 17
2012 - EWU 51, Illinois State 35
2011 - Montana 48, UNI 10
2010 - EWU 38, NDSU 31...also NDSU 42, MSU 17
2009 - Montana 61, South Dakota State 48

I may be missing a game, but in the past 5 years, that's a 5-1 overall record for the Big Sky versus the MVFC in head to head competition in the playoffs. EWU is 3-0 and Montana is 2-0 versus the MVFC in that stretch.

In two of the above instances, the MVFC teams were beaten badly (SDSU in '13 and UNI in '11). I agree that homefield advantage plays a part, but not to the tune of 24-38 points. NDSU has also been the benficiary of homefield advantage in every playoff game since 2011 - does that make their wins against anyone they've played during that time any less valid? I would say no...that is how you are rewarded for taking care of a business during the regular season, and any team from the Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, that goes through their conference undefeated should get that.

I'm not illustrating this to gloat, just trying to figure out why many MVFC fans constantly try to tout their conference as somehow superior to the Big Sky, when the HTH clearly indicates that's not the case. I get the Massey and Sagarin ratings, but that is a cummulative representation of a 13 member conference where not every team plays each other every year.

What is your record against Sam Houston State? What is the Big Sky record against SHSU? I think SHSU is either 8-0 or 7-0 against you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2014, 04:54 PM
What is your record against Sam Houston State? What is the Big Sky record against SHSU? I think SHSU is either 8-0 or 7-0 against you guys.

What exactly would that have to do with the claim that the MVFC is superior to the BSC recently?

If the conversation is about SHSU being superior to or owning the BSC recently I don't think anyone is arguing that.

If the conversation is Montana historically owning the SLC then there might be some traction for that as well but neither of those things were the topic.

McNeese75
May 16th, 2014, 09:08 AM
If the conversation is Montana historically owning the SLC then there might be some traction for that as well but neither of those things were the topic.

WHEN the game is played at Wash-Griz xpeacex

Silenoz
May 16th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Can we not do another Montana vs Southland thing?

Raven Maniac
May 16th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Can we not do another Montana vs Southland thing?

Yeah might be ugly for the Montana crew the last three years.

Silenoz
May 16th, 2014, 03:08 PM

0-1, barely losing on the road to SHSU's best squad in program history because JJ under-threw a wide open Sambrano?

Yes, let's just leave it at that xrolleyesx

Unless you're trying to work Montana State into the conversation. Which isn't going to work because I happen to find those games to be the funniest thing(s) I've ever seen.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2014, 03:11 PM

You may not be keeping up with things so I'll just say that 1-1 ain't ugly but a 41-14 win and a 31-28 loss is even a little less ugly. It's cool to make statements and all but you could try and have them be somewhat accurate couldn't ya? xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2014, 03:12 PM
0-1, barely losing on the road to SHSU's best squad in program history because JJ under-threw a wide open Sambrano?

Yes, let's just leave it at that xrolleyesx

Unless you're trying to work Montana State into the conversation. Which isn't going to work because I happen to find those games to be the funniest thing(s) I've ever seen.

He was talking Southland so it's 1-1.

Silenoz
May 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM
He was talking Southland so it's 1-1.

Oh ****, you're right. I guess once a game reaches 38-0 I fall into a boredom coma

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Not instigating, but too lazy to look it up -- what is Montana's record against schools from South Carolina? I know they beat Furman in a title game, and lost home playoff games to Coastal and Wofford.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 16th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Furman 1-0 2001
Coastal 0-1 2013
Wofford 0-1 2007

Those are the only SC teams they have played.

Bisonator
December 22nd, 2014, 03:03 PM
Bump

Kind of fun to look back.

Bisonator
December 22nd, 2014, 03:06 PM
Dang, these chump teams are bragging about who got thumped the least by NDSU. Bring NDSU, bring them to chattown, F it, we will go to Fargo. Lets see who these Punks really are in 2014.

xlolx

Catsfan90
December 22nd, 2014, 06:50 PM
I'm predicting NDSU VS Illinois state in the final!

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
The champion will come out of the MVFC...I'll leave it at that for now.

BOOM! :D

CasualFan
December 23rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
This is a pretty fun read. I especially liked the SoCon discussion. I hope I remember this when we get to talking smack about who will win the Big South next year. Hopefully I'll temper my comments.

tomq04
December 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM
They play in the Big Sky so they are pretty much a lock for at least 7 wins, plus a D2, so that's 8. They then get a bottom 1/3rd MVFC school so that should be 9

Wyoming, NDSU, and EWU are the only games they should lose on that schedule. It's about like my pillow....pretty soft.

Was this spot on?

edit: forgot about the cal poly thumping sweep of the state of Montana.

clenz
December 23rd, 2014, 12:54 PM
Was this spot on?

edit: forgot about the cal poly thumping sweep of the state of Montana.
I was pretty damn close.

I predicted:
7 conference wins
losses to Wyoming, NDSU and EWU
a win over the D2
a win overUSD (who I projected as bottom 1/3rd valley

Reality was
6 conference wins (I was wrong on Cal Poly)
win over D2
win over USD (winless in MVFC play...only D1 win was NAU)

Losses:
Wyoming
NDSU
EWUx2
Cal Poly

Not too shabby