PDA

View Full Version : SHSU: Things aren’t as bad as they appear

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM
Stop standing on the edge of the cliff! Stop losing sleep! The Kats aren't as bad as they appear according to this article in the Huntsville Item. The Bears are that good and yes, the Kats are still 2-0 in the SLC!

Things aren’t as bad as they appear
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

OK, before anybody pushes the panic button after Sam Houston State’s loss Thursday night, give me a chance to talk you off the ledge.

Yes, the Bearkats looked unprepared and uninterested early, and it seemed like they might have taken Central Arkansas a little too lightly in the wake of a big showdown with McNeese State. But the Bears, even though they are making the transition to Division I-AA from D-II, are a very good football team.

They are 5-3 this season with three wins against I-AA schools and have loads of talented players who could be playing and starting for programs in the SLC.

When I was at SLC media day back in July, every league team brought two of its top players. UCA unveiled defensive end Jacob Ford and wide receiver Aaron Fairooz, and their size and body frames were the talk of the event.

http://www.itemonline.com/cnhi/itemonline/sports/local_story_294021423.html?keyword=secondarystory

blackfordpu
October 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
I really hope he's right.

TW needs to read these lines:
It was apparent the SHSU offense was struggling passing the ball, but D.D. Terry was able to find some running room.

So, why didn’t he get more the ball more?

After the Kats went up 6-0 on a 1-yard run by Terry with just under six minutes to go in the first quarter, defensive back Tony Jones stuffed Leonard Ceaser for a 3-yard loss on a fourth and goal from the SHSU 2 on the Bears’ ensuing drive.

Terry then gained 16 yards on two carries before SHSU threw four-straight passes and were forced to punt.

The defense held the Bears, and after another pass, Terry gained 7 yards before a completion forced yet another punt.

The Bearkats had two more drives before the half, and Terry had one carry — a 12-yard gain before a tipped pass was returned for a UCA touchdown.

In the second half, the Kats really needed a score when they fell behind 31-13, and Terry helped spark their first scoring drive since the second quarter. SHSU ran this same little play that looked like either a pitch or a short forward pass to Terry three-plays in a row, and he gained 13, 21 and 11 yards to move the ball into UCA territory.

Those three plays helped set up the passing game, and Hicks followed with a 26-yard completion to Brandon Perry down to the Bears’ 13. Terry had two more runs to inch closer, and Martin capped it off with a spectacular touchdown grab in the right corner of the end zone.

Terry had 14 more touches (either pass or run) in the second half and finished with 174 all-purpose yards.

He is one of the most dominate backs SHSU has had in a long time, and has rushed for more than 100 yards in three-consecutive games. That feat has only been accomplished two more times in Bearkat history. Roger Wiley did it four straight in 1982, and Curtis Thomas had three in 1990.

Terry is the type of running back who can change the course of a game, and the Bearkats need to take advantage of it.

RUN THE BALL WITH DDT!

Bearkatpresident
October 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
The game was only won by 8 points and both offenses racked up big points. A interception, a penalty, anything could have tipped the scales.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 22nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
So Texas Terror, are you saying Sam Houston lost to an upstart Division I-AA team? Just asking because I thought only SWAC teams did that right? :confused:

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
So Texas Terror, are you saying Sam Houston lost to an upstart Division I-AA team? Just asking because I thought only SWAC teams did that right? :confused:

oh snap!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
October 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM

SWAC teams lose to NAIAs and sub-Div Is across the board...it's nothing new for the lowest rung on the ladder...don't give the SWAC credibility for losing to up-starts, they're not even in that league!

Seen a few of those in soccer and volleyball in person thus far. We've of course seen the football collapses to legit Div II programs (North Carolina Central for instance, which hasn't even begun it's transition) and NAIAs (Langston ring a bell? Ouch!)...

Bearable
October 22nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Actually the last time the Bears played someone from the SWAC (UAPB in 2003) we put the wood to them to the tune of 42-28. They haven't agreed to a game since.

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
SHSU has a lot of football left to play. The SLC is impossible to get a read on.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 22nd, 2006, 10:06 PM
SWAC teams lose to NAIAs and sub-Div Is across the board...it's nothing new for the lowest rung on the ladder...don't give the SWAC credibility for losing to up-starts, they're not even in that league!

Seen a few of those in soccer and volleyball in person thus far. We've of course seen the football collapses to legit Div II programs (North Carolina Central for instance, which hasn't even begun it's transition) and NAIAs (Langston ring a bell? Ouch!)...

Now that's the Texas Terror I know! :hurray:

Way to go big guy!!! :thumbsup:

I was just asking a legitimate question because everyone around these parts know the state of the SWAC is garbage but I was just curious about Sam Houston losing to a I-AA upstart..... on national television..... in an empty stadium...... on a Thursday night. I thought that was only SWAC standards.... maybe it was just a fluke right?

3rd Coast Tiger
October 25th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Look what I found quietly hidden on page 4.

*snicker*

beerkat
October 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
it was half-empty, swac stadiums are 3/4 empty, get it straight :D

blackfordpu
October 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Look what I found quietly hidden on page 4.

*snicker*

What did you find? You did't post anything.

BEAR
October 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hey UCA may be an upstart I-AA, but they had developed into a high level II team, which is not far from the level of a decent I-AA team IMO. I've seen them both and it's hard to tell them apart. SHSU may have lost, but I have a feeling that they won't be down for very long:nonono2: Maybe the SLC is down this year, maybe SHSU had a bad game like UCA had against UC Davis or SDSU, but either way, there will be some great games in years to come. :hurray: I still want the next SHSU game we play at ESTES.:cool:

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
it was half-empty, swac stadiums are 3/4 empty, get it straight :D

Yet the SWAC leads I-AA in attendence every year since it's inception except during last year's Hurricane Katrina intervention.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
What did you find? You did't post anything.

I found Texas Terror's thread. That's what I found. I may be from the SWAC but can't I post SLC information, we all are/were I-AA right?

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM
We'll get a glance of what an SLC team can do to Texas Southern in a few weeks when the 'Battle of TSU' takes place between TxSt and TxSo.

3rd Coast, you guys re-doing the web site anytime soon? Getting folks from off the streets is probably not ideal for releases on your web site. Then again, the page isn't that updated at all (gotta love how the VB standings on the right hand colum takes you to volleyball stats!) and it seems SID is finally writing a bit as well, which is good. Maybe the SHSU Journalism program can help you folks out. :thumbsup:

Yet the SWAC leads I-AA in attendence every year since it's inception except during last year's Hurricane Katrina intervention.

You should atleast be politically correct. Half of the SWAC makes up for the rest of the attendance of the low-performing schools in the SWAC.

The large attendance at the Gramblings, Southerns and Jackson St's of the world really make a large impact. You as a Texas Southern fan should probably not include yourself in pointing out the SWAC's top attendance figures...xidiotx
===========
On another note, "Texas Southern University posted a 16.5 percent decline in enrollment, the largest drop among the state's public universities. But university officials said the decline is actually 2 percent because hundreds of students paid their tuition and fees between the 12th and 20th day of classes."

Oy! Your PR department using the Slade Theorem? That just doesn't seem to make sense. How'd the drop change that much?!?

Things must not be as bad as they seem, eh 3rd Coast?

Spooney-Cat
October 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
My prediction:

Texas State 49
Texas Southern 7

I'm guaranteeing 15,000+ at this game to watch the massacre...

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Any clue if the TxSt vs TxSo game is a home-and-home? If it is, you guys may request to play somewhere else than their stadium.

If TXST does not pile it on TxSo, there'll definitely be some questions to be had...

RabidRabbit
October 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hey UCA may be an upstart I-AA, but they had developed into a high level II team, which is not far from the level of a decent I-AA team IMO. I've seen them both and it's hard to tell them apart. SHSU may have lost, but I have a feeling that they won't be down for very long:nonono2: Maybe the SLC is down this year, maybe SHSU had a bad game like UCA had against UC Davis or SDSU, but either way, there will be some great games in years to come. :hurray: I still want the next SHSU game we play at ESTES.:cool:

On behalf of the UCA Bears, it's worth noting that their 3 loses are to Il St., SDSU, UC-Davis, All 3 top 25 GPI this week. And, SDSU also won two SLC games, in LA this year. It will be interesting to see how Bears do vs Ga Southern this year.

Spooney-Cat
October 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I will second that!

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
On behalf of the UCA Bears, it's worth noting that their 3 loses are to Il St., SDSU, UC-Davis, All 3 top 25 GPI this week. And, SDSU also won two SLC games, in LA this year. It will be interesting to see how Bears do vs Ga Southern this year.

7-4 or 8-3 would be great for UCA...

Even if they went 4-0 against Div IIs, they still went 3-4 against that brutal I-AA schedule (if they lose to GA Southern) or 4-3 against Div I-AA if they beat GA Southern...

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
We'll get a glance of what an SLC team can do to Texas Southern in a few weeks when the 'Battle of TSU' takes place between TxSt and TxSo.

3rd Coast, you guys re-doing the web site anytime soon? Getting folks from off the streets is probably not ideal for releases on your web site. Then again, the page isn't that updated at all (gotta love how the VB standings on the right hand colum takes you to volleyball stats!) and it seems SID is finally writing a bit as well, which is good. Maybe the SHSU Journalism program can help you folks out. :thumbsup:

You should atleast be politically correct. Half of the SWAC makes up for the rest of the attendance of the low-performing schools in the SWAC.

The large attendance at the Gramblings, Southerns and Jackson St's of the world really make a large impact. You as a Texas Southern fan should probably not include yourself in pointing out the SWAC's top attendance figures...xidiotx
===========
On another note, "Texas Southern University posted a 16.5 percent decline in enrollment, the largest drop among the state's public universities. But university officials said the decline is actually 2 percent because hundreds of students paid their tuition and fees between the 12th and 20th day of classes."

Oy! Your PR department using the Slade Theorem? That just doesn't seem to make sense. How'd the drop change that much?!?

Things must not be as bad as they seem, eh 3rd Coast?

OK!!!! I'll play along since you want to go there.

We went from talking about football to talking about athletic websites to calculating enrollment.

Let's take it to the next step; let's get to the individual. You are a product of your alma mater and I am as well. What do you do for a living? How many subordinates do you have working for you and name the universities they graduated from? You are responsible for a portfolio of how many millions/billions of dollars? What is your net worth?

It's only fair right? :smiley_wi

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
OK!!!! I'll play along since you want to go there.

We went from talking about football to talking about athletic websites to calculating enrollment.

Let's take it to the next step; let's get to the individual. You are a product of your alma mater and I am as well. What do you do for a living? How many subordinates do you have working for you and name the universities they graduated from? You are responsible for a portfolio of how many millions/billions of dollars? What is your net worth?

It's only fair right? :smiley_wi

How long have you been out of college? I'm just over a year removed from college. This is a baseless argument comparing a young 'pup' from Sam Houston State and someone from the 'old guard' of Texas Southern.

We can move on to other such related topics, such as how much a difference I could make for your institution if given the chance whether as a legislator or a member of Texas Southern's faculty/staff. I am sure I could definitely save your institution money and at the very least, put sound leadership in place compared to the troubling happenings currently finding themselves playing out at Tx Southern.

16% enrollment dropoff...you going to 'spin' that? : smh :

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
How long have you been out of college? I'm just over a year removed from college. This is a baseless argument comparing a young 'pup' from Sam Houston State and someone from the 'old guard' of Texas Southern.

We can move on to other such related topics, such as how much a difference I could make for your institution if given the chance whether as a legislator or a member of Texas Southern's faculty/staff. I am sure I could definitely save your institution money and at the very least, put sound leadership in place compared to the troubling happenings currently finding themselves playing out at Tx Southern.

16% enrollment dropoff...you going to 'spin' that? : smh :

Old guard? I graduated in 1996 with my bachelor's, got my CPA and CVA in 1997 and 2001. My first year removed from college, I was immediately employed at a hospital (M.D. Anderson Cancer Center) in the Houston area as a Senior Budget Analyst working in the Office of Protocol Research preparing multi-million dollar budgets and negotiating research studies between Principal Investigators and pharmeacutical companies. Again, my first year after graduation.

Secondly, you want to degrade, belittle and ATTEMPT to embarrass my university with your rants yet in the same breath you want to work for my alma mater and on top of that ASK ME TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR EFFORTS FOR EMPLOYMENT with my connections? Go on back to the little rec center where you manage basketballs and towels kid. You'll never get a job at Texas Southern as long as I am an the official spokesperson for all Texas Southern alumni.

But go ahead and bring up enrollment, as a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with our Director of Recruitment and he couldn't stop laughing at your 16% decrease remark. Try again kid. You've burn one too many bridges with me.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
But go ahead and bring up enrollment, as a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with our Director of Recruitment and he couldn't stop laughing at your 16% decrease remark. Try again kid. You've burn one too many bridges with me.

Well, why are the statistics provided by the Texas Higher Ed Coordinating Board showing a 16.54% decrease in enrollment?

Is it that large tuition increase you guys evoked of 21.5% that made an impact? Enrollment had to fall. There's no other reason you guys cut 178 jobs (reported in the Houston Chronicle this past July). It may have not been as large as the THECB is reporting, but it's definitely not 2% with 178 cut jobs.

Texas Public Universities
School 2005 2006 Change % Change
Texas Southern University 11,478 9,579 (1,899) -16.54

Purple Pride
October 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM
We'll beat you in football.:hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xlolx xsmileyclapx

SFA 71
October 27th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Old guard? I graduated in 1996 with my bachelor's, got my CPA and CVA in 1997 and 2001. My first year removed from college, I was immediately employed at a hospital (M.D. Anderson Cancer Center) in the Houston area as a Senior Budget Analyst working in the Office of Protocol Research preparing multi-million dollar budgets and negotiating research studies between Principal Investigators and pharmeacutical companies. Again, my first year after graduation.

Secondly, you want to degrade, belittle and ATTEMPT to embarrass my university with your rants yet in the same breath you want to work for my alma mater and on top of that ASK ME TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR EFFORTS FOR EMPLOYMENT with my connections? Go on back to the little rec center where you manage basketballs and towels kid. You'll never get a job at Texas Southern as long as I am an the official spokesperson for all Texas Southern alumni.

My God, who died & made you king. I don't think the TT ever said he WANTED to work for TSU, he just said he thought he could manage it better than some who are doing so. And with the track record of your last president he certainly might do as well. I'm no fan of shs but I'd go there before I would go to tsu if going to tsu made me as arrogant as you seem to be. I don't think that making money for someone necessarily makes you any better then a "rec center kid." The "official spokesman for TSU," wow?! :thumbsup:

3rd Coast Tiger
October 28th, 2006, 02:30 AM
My God, who died & made you king. I don't think the TT ever said he WANTED to work for TSU, he just said he thought he could manage it better than some who are doing so. And with the track record of your last president he certainly might do as well. I'm no fan of shs but I'd go there before I would go to tsu if going to tsu made me as arrogant as you seem to be. I don't think that making money for someone necessarily makes you any better then a "rec center kid." The "official spokesman for TSU," wow?! :thumbsup:

If you don't know about the side conversations TT and I had about HIM seeking MY support to get him hired within our athletic department then stay out of this Lumberjack.

Secondly, if you don't know my position with Texas Southern again.... stay out of this.

This thread began about Sam Houston not being as bad as it appeared after losing to a program new to the I-AA ranks while in front of a small crowd (two factors TT always points out with the SWAC). I come behind him to throw the loss and attendance back in his face then he comes back with enrollment and President smack? Come on dude, is this forum and message board about "Any Given Saturday" or the highs and lows of what happens at a college OUTSIDE of Saturdays?

SFA 71
October 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
If you don't know about the side conversations TT and I had about HIM seeking MY support to get him hired within our athletic department then stay out of this Lumberjack.

Secondly, if you don't know my position with Texas Southern again.... stay out of this.

This thread began about Sam Houston not being as bad as it appeared after losing to a program new to the I-AA ranks while in front of a small crowd (two factors TT always points out with the SWAC). I come behind him to throw the loss and attendance back in his face then he comes back with enrollment and President smack? Come on dude, is this forum and message board about "Any Given Saturday" or the highs and lows of what happens at a college OUTSIDE of Saturdays?

If you & the little "dude" are having side conversations on his employability then you should keep your comments regarding his ability to work for tsu on the side also instead of berating him online. If you don't think he can do the job then tell him so in your "side conversations."

You've already told us your position as "official spokesman for the tsu Alumni." That's not hard to figure out though I didn't know there was such a position.

It seems to me that if you put this out on the "net" then it is fair game for anyone who has anything to say. I believe, the last time I looked, this is a PUBLIC forum. You two should keep your private spats private & not bring them out in the public unless you are willing to listen to public comments.
:nonono2:

3rd Coast Tiger
October 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM
It seems to me that if you put this out on the "net" then it is fair game for anyone who has anything to say. I believe, the last time I looked, this is a PUBLIC forum. You two should keep your private spats private & not bring them out in the public unless you are willing to listen to public comments.
:nonono2:

You are absolutely right. Just like this is a sports forum where a school's enrollment or anything outside of sports has no place in this forum.

I won't sit back and allow someone to ask me to get them in the door for employment at my alma mater then in a public forum berate and belittle my alma mater with some information that we talked about that was supposed to be kept between "he and I". You've noticed that after I put that little private conversation he and I had out there he's been somewhat silent about the issue now. :smiley_wi

By the way, my official affiliation with Texas Southern is National Alumni Association President.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
You've noticed that after I put that little private conversation he and I had out there he's been somewhat silent about the issue now. :smiley_wi

May have something to do with internet etiquette...also known as netiquette...:read: