PDA

View Full Version : ACC Standard...too little, too late?

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2632495

ACC commissioner John Swofford, whose office worked in conjunction with Miami to determine disciplinary measures after the Hurricanes' on-field fight with Florida International, sent a memo Thursday to the presidents, athletic directors and faculty representatives of the conference.

The memo suggested that at the next ACC meetings, in December in Jacksonville, Fla., there should be ongoing discussions about the possibility of league-wide standards for discipline following on-field altercations.

Cocky
October 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Money, Money, Money

FIU doesn't have any: they give the proper punishment.

Miami-Florida and the ACC have plenty: they do what is necessary to protect the money.

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Money, Money, Money

FIU doesn't have any: they give the proper punishment.

Miami-Florida and the ACC have plenty: they do what is necessary to protect the money.

Maybe so, but I think this will hurt Miami down the road, recruits, etc

NoCoDanny
October 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
It will help with recruits. They'll get even more of the thugs that can play ball just as they like it.

walliver
October 20th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I remember several years ago when the ACC expanded that some of the schools, UNC pops to mind, were opposed to expansion because they wanted to preserve the ACC as an academically respected conference.

I guess UNC was right.

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I remember several years ago when the ACC expanded that some of the schools, UNC pops to mind, were opposed to expansion because they wanted to preserve the ACC as an academically respected conference.

I guess UNC was right.
UNC protested b/c they didn't think the $$$ figures were right

Seven Would Be Nice
October 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
It will help with recruits. They'll get even more of the thugs that can play ball just as they like it.

why do you think their program has lasted that long?

MarkCCU
October 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM
why do you think their program has lasted that long?

fear?:rolleyes:

Marcus Garvey
October 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Butch Davis did a great job cleaning up Miami. I HATED them during the Jimmy Johnson/Dennis Erickson days. But, after Butch came along, I started to like them. I sure as hell was rooting for them agains Ohio St. in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago...

Now one can argue how much Butch really cleaned it up, but the perception was that he had, and that is what ultimately counts. Coker has finished pissing away all those gains. He's gone, and Shalala ought to beg Davis to return.

The biggest loser in all of this: Miami president Donna Shalala. Coker was likely to be fired regardless, as his team is not talented enough to avoid losing 1 or 2 more games. But she's come off looking like a bufoon of a college adminstrator who is nothing but a lap-dog to the athletic department.