PDA

View Full Version : Best I-AA kicker of all time?

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Even though Jeff Wilkins was great, I would have to go with Mackenzie Hoambrecker from UNI. Mr. Automatic to me. The dude was amazing... booting a 59-yard field goal to beat MSU (then SMS). How many people can say that?

Also, he was one of few kickers who could consistently kick extra points over YSU's net.

ngineer
October 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I would nominate Scott Christie of William & Mary and who had a stellar career with Buffalo Bills. I saw Christie kick at Goodmanin the late 80's and his extra points went up an onto the entrance plaza beyond the south endzone. Have never seen such quick height and acceleration of a kicked ball since.:nod:

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Goran Lingmerth from NAU...Hold I-AA record for most FG in one game (8).

Seven Would Be Nice
October 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
59 yards is very impressive...

gsu's kicker (before being replaced) was 1/3 on the year... making a 22 yarder and missing two others from under 30. he was 6/9 for PATs... xlolx xlolx

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
59 yards is very impressive...

gsu's kicker (before being replaced) was 1/3 on the year... making a 22 yarder and missing two others from under 30. he was 6/9 for PATs... xlolx xlolx

Are they having tryouts? I'll go back to college for a second Bachelor's degree! :hurray: :read:

GSUhooligan
October 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
When you play in a dome you can add 10 yards to a guy's average distance. That would be like making a 49 yard FG outside. Still impressive, but not as much. I'm too young to know, but apparently some guy for GSU hit a really long FG in an important game. I dont know the details, I just remember hearing the clip over the P.A. during practices when they are trying to simulate crowd noise.

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
When you play in a dome you can add 10 yards to a guy's average distance. That would be like making a 49 yard FG outside. Still impressive, but not as much. I'm too young to know, but apparently some guy for GSU hit a really long FG in an important game. I dont know the details, I just remember hearing the clip over the P.A. during practices when they are trying to simulate crowd noise.

Even more distance than outside with the wind? I've kicked a lot. With no wind, my range is about 52 yards. Add or subtract some yards for wind (depending on the direction).

So you've worked practices? I was an equipment manager at YSU during my freshman and sophomore years.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Are they having tryouts? I'll go back to college for a second Bachelor's degree! :hurray: :read:

I heard a rumor that they did have open tryouts.. but I think they just played a sophomore in place of our senior kicker.

p.s. post 100 :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :rotateh:

GSUhooligan
October 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
So you've worked practices? I was an equipment manager at YSU during my freshman and sophomore years.

No, I just attend them...

lucchesicourt
October 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
UCD kicker Rolfe Benirske (D2)- Does he count?

texcap
October 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM
UCD kicker Rolfe Benirske (D2)- Does he count?
If you are going to use guys who didn't play in IAA but their team is now IAA, IMO there is no doubt the top guy would be:

Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State (when they were DII)

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Mackenzie Hoambrecker hit a 50+ yarder outdoors many times, including in a multiple OT game at Cal Poly.

The Cats
October 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Kirk Roach, WCU

#14 - Kirk Roach (1984-87)

The most honored player in WCU's football history and a member of the Southern Conference's 75th Anniversary Football Team. He is WCU's and the Southern Conference's only three time All American Selection (1984, 1986, 1987) and one of only three conference players to be named All Southern Conference four times (1984-87). At induction he owned 10 Southern Conference, 18 WCU and five NCAA I-AA kicking records. He kicked 71 field goals including 11 of 50 or more yards and accounted for 302 points. He missed only one extra point attempt in four seasons. His jersey was retired on Sept. 30, 2006.

lucchesicourt
October 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM
texcap, your right without a doubt. I forgot about him, Sorry, SDSU fans!!

nmatsen
October 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Mackenzie Hoambrecker hit a 50+ yarder outdoors many times, including in a multiple OT game at Cal Poly.

For the record he kicked a 57 yard game tying field goal at the end of regulation at Cal-Poly that year, no wind whatsoever. He went on to kick a 52 yarder in the other direction to win it in overtime. Don't ask me how he kicked a 52 yarder in overtime, I think we had a couple of penalties. He was overall 25 of 28 that year with TWO blocks! The year before he made kicks to win games at Ball State to defeat a I-A school as time expired and then a huge kick at Western Kentucky to win the conference title, again as time expired. No pressure there right?

nmatsen
October 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM

That is the biggest bunch of hogwash ever written. The ball flies just as far if not farther in calm conditions outside in natural air than inside in the dome. The dome is an advantage for kickers if the weather would be poor without a doubt but as far as the ball flying 10 yards farther in a dome that is just in-accurate.

Bronco
October 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM
If you are going to use guys who didn't play in IAA but their team is now IAA, IMO there is no doubt the top guy would be:

Jan Stenerud...Montana State
NFL Hall of Fame

nmatsen
October 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Jan Stenerud...Montana State
NFL Hall of Fame

and a fantastic man, Jan went to Montana State on a Ski-Jumping Scholarship. He only played one year of college football and was drafted on leg strength alone. His college career was a little less to be desired. I think he was around 60%. One note, he is the only pure kicker in the NFL hall of fame. Good thing ole' Hank Stram took a chance on him.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM
What?! No mention of the notorious Scott Norwood??!! :o

:bang:

lucchesicourt
October 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Jan, I understand missed a very important kick in his career. It was only 103 yards. I believe he was a little short and too the left. That alone should remove him from any consideration.

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Adam is a no-brainer; however, SDSU was DII back then and not even close to I-AA. I thought about him when I was driving back from my lunch break and knew someone would mention him!

nmatsen
October 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Adam is a no-brainer; however, SDSU was DII back then and not even close to I-AA. I thought about him when I was driving back from my lunch break and knew someone would mention him!

Was he the greatest kicker in college or in the NFL? I run into this a lot with Kurt Warner. Is Kurt Warner the greatest I-AA QB of all time? Are we looking at everything? Just college? Just NFL? Both? If it is just college than no.

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Just college

FlyYtown
October 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ya I am 100% Behind Jeff Wilkins..
He is 446 for 449 on extra points in his 13 years in the NFL..... That is 99.3%!!

That UNI kicker was good though....

He booted that HUGE Kick to be Villanova in 1991 at Home which sent us to Reno for the Wolfpack.. And I will never forget it, their kicker, a lefty, boots the very short field goal, which was about 30 yards from the right to left hash.. and PUSHED IT LEFT...

That lead us to the title I think, or a home game we won which sent us to the statesboro .and the big win..

BillLuc1982
October 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
FlyYTown:

We then beat Samford 10-0 before advancing to Statesboro to play Marshall.

Go...gate
October 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Al Yunkus of Bucknell was pretty good in the early 1980's, as was Dean Biasucci of Western Carolina. There is also something of a divide here, as the 2" place-kicking rubber "block tee" was outlawed after the 1988 season. Steve Christie of W & M excelled both with and without the block tee.

Colgate has had few good placekickers or punters. Jerry Andrewlavage (1974-77), Mike Powers (1983-86) and Lane Schwartzberg (2001-04) come to mind as placekickers.

Cocky
October 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Ashley Martin from JSU is no doubt the best looking.

purduecrum
October 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Mike Scifres... Where is the love for the punters?

Attila the Hen
October 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Hey, I thought this was a football board. Kickers are not football players.

FlyYtown
October 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM
FlyYTown:

We then beat Samford 10-0 before advancing to Statesboro to play Marshall.

How could I forget that game LMAO!! The fewest points ever scored at Stambaugh stadium....... YSU onl rushed the ball 81 times in that game....
It went by fast.... also add the fact we recovered a fumble in that game AND intercepted 6 passes...

Eaglegus2
October 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Tim Foley...........set the record by kicking a 63 yard FG.

Georgia Southern, of course.

mtgrizfan4life
October 19th, 2006, 08:33 PM
As for kicker that was good in college and pros, Adam Vinatieri (SP?).
As for college career, let the stats speak for themself, Kris Snyder. All time leading 1AA kicker for points, enough said.

RabidRabbit
October 19th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Parker Douglas, SDSU's current kicker, a JR., has already bypassed Adam's records at State in distance, number, total kicking points, and season records. He broke through on the 2nd of 4 field goals which won the McNeese game this year. His longest is I believe 55 or 56 yds.

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM
As for college career, let the stats speak for themself, Kris Snyder. All time leading 1AA kicker for points, enough said.
Plus, he was up to over 110 consecutive extra points at one time. I also saw him kick a 57 yarder that would have been good from a few more. With the apparant lack of quality kickers in the NFL, I can't believe he hasn't been given a chance somehwhere.

The Cats
October 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM

How many points?

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
How many points?
394 career points
- 70 field goals
- 182 extra points

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM
394 career points
- 70 field goals
- 182 extra points
Craig Coffin of SIU is in range if the Saluki offense keeps producing. At thie point of the season he has career totals of 331 pts, 202 PATs and 43 FGs. Coffin already holds the PAT record.

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Craig Coffin of SIU is in range if the Saluki offense keeps producing. At thie point of the season he has career totals of 331 pts, 202 PATs and 43 FGs. Coffin already holds the PAT record.
That is quite a few PAT's. I know there were a couple of games in which Snyder was the close to the entire offense; in fact, one game which we won 12-7, he was the entire offense with 4 field goals.

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
That is quite a few PAT's. I know there were a couple of games in which Snyder was the close to the entire offense; in fact, one game which we won 12-7, he was the entire offense with 4 field goals.
His PAT total has been helped by having a potent offense to kick for. In 2004 he was 66-66 on PATs. Not many kickers get that many opportunities. He doesn't get as many FG opportunites because of the tendency SIU has to punch it into the end zone. He only gets about 15 shots at a FG/year.

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM
His PAT total has been helped by having a potent offense to kick for. In 2004 he was 66-66 on PATs. Not many kickers get that many opportunities. He doesn't get as many FG opportunites because of the tendency SIU has to punch it into the end zone. He only gets about 15 shots at a FG/year.
Snyder was 50-54 his freshman year, 63-64 his sophomore year, 50-50 his junior year, and 47-48 his senior year, for a total of 210-216. If you add up the total field goals kicked it breaks down like this:

16-25
16-30
19-32
25-30
76-117

This gives Chris a total of 438 points kicking, plus a few more he scored on converions and TDs. The discrepancy here is that playoffs didn't count until 2003, so his 2000-2002 playoff stats (10 games) don't count.:nonono2:

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Brian Wingert just set UNI's all time points record last week against Indiana State.

TheValleyRaider
October 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Colgate has had few good placekickers or punters. Jerry Andrewlavage (1974-77), Mike Powers (1983-86) and Lane Schwartzberg (2001-04) come to mind as placekickers.

Oh man do I miss Lane...:bawling: :bang:

Kill'em
October 20th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I haven't seen every kicker so I'll go with the homer pick, Tim Foley. Foley was a money kicker and his 63 yard kick didn't just get over the crossbar. It cleared it by a good 10 yards.

Green26
October 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Maybe I missed this above, but Chris Snyder of Montana has the single season scoring record for a kicker at 122, in addition to the career record, as discussed above. Montana's current kicker, Carpenter, has a chance to break Snyder's career record and perhaps season too. Snyder has the career record for consecutive extra points, at 126. Had he not had to kick in a very nasty rain and wind storm at Sac. St. his senior year, he would not have missed for over 2 years. Of the 6 extra points he missed in 4 years, I believe 2 were missed in his first game.

I attended the game in which Jan Stenerud attempted the long kick mentioned above (apparently 103 yards). It was an incredibly windy day, and MSU was not having any success with punting, with some punts being blown backwards, so coach Jim Sweeney put in Stenerud to try a FG (hoping it would be lower and go further than a punt). It didn't go too far either. The rumor around Bozeman was that Stenerud could have been a punter too, but he would have needed someone to catch the snap for him and hand him the ball. Apparently, being a soccer player in Norway, he didn't have great hands. MSU is where Frosty Peters played. I believe he kicked 17 field goals in a game--all drop kicks. I could go on and tell you that Jim Sweeny Jr. was my high school quarterback, but I'll stop.

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I would nominate Scott Christie of William & Mary and who had a stellar career with Buffalo Bills. I saw Christie kick at Goodmanin the late 80's and his extra points went up an onto the entrance plaza beyond the south endzone. Have never seen such quick height and acceleration of a kicked ball since.:nod:

That is STEVE Christie, not Scott. He was, indeed, a great one, as evidenced by his NFL career. Still holds the SuperBowl record for longest FG at 54 yards. Had a number of game-winning kicks in college, including a 51-yarder against Delaware in 1989.

UNHFan99
October 20th, 2006, 06:34 AM
What were Adam Vinatieri's #'s in college. My understanding is that he was a decent to good division two kicker but actually was challenged for his starting job throughout college. He has no doubt had the most impressive overall career next to Stenerud, but I have always been curious about his college career.

I-AA Fan
October 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Actually, Wilkens has not missed and XP since his first season with the Rams (when he missed 3) ... that is why they call him "Mr. Automatic" or "money". That is 11-years and counting.

I am not convinced that Wilkins was YSU's best kicker of the I-AA era. Paul McFadden did not have quite the NFL tenure ... although he held the NFL single-season scoring record (which I think was broken last year). He also held the Eagles all-time field goal record, which was also broken last year. Also he holds the Eagles record for consecutive FG's ... with 68. He, in my opinion, was a better kicker in his collegiate career than Wilkens. He was the last barefoot kicker at YSU (and possibly DI), and the last in the NFL as well. I remember that the opposing coaches used to tell their players to go after his bare foot and try to step on it. They ejected 3 opposing players in one game ... it was almost comical to watch. I am thinking it was Murray in 1984 or 85. The coach protested McFadden's participation on the grounds that he was not "in proper uniform", as he only wore a sock on the sidelines, and he did not bring the other shoe. So, McFadden was ordered to put on his shoe. I remember another player had to give him a cleat, then leave the field himself, as he was then out of uniform. He took it off right before the snap & the coach protested again. They moved the kick back to make which made it a (then YSU record) 50+ yarder on the penalty, and he still nailed it.

USDFAN_55
October 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Billy Cundiff from Drake was pretty good. I saw this guy hit a 60+ yard field goal with plenty of leg to spare, plus he was automatic from 45 and in.

boonegoon
October 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Bjorn Nitmo. No question

ysubigred
October 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Even though Jeff Wilkins was great, I would have to go with Mackenzie Hoambrecker from UNI. Mr. Automatic to me. The dude was amazing... booting a 59-yard field goal to beat MSU (then SMS). How many people can say that?

Also, he was one of few kickers who could consistently kick extra points over YSU's net.

Villanova I-AA 1st-Round 23-20 W 1992 Youngstown, OH
The Citadel I-AA Quarter-Finals 42-17 W 1992 Charleston, SC
Northern Iowa I-AA Semi-Finals 19-7 W 1992 Cedar Falls, IA
Marshall I-AA National Championship 31-28 L 1992 Huntington, WV

I'm holding a gruge with Wilkins over the late missed FG that would have sent this game to OT and a posible 5th NC for the Guins :bawling:

Just kidding!! Wilkins is and was awesome :hurray:

Bobcat94
October 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
This is truly a no-brainer........

Kathy Ireland - Texas State!!!!!!!

Sorry had to say it....now back to the serious discussion......:D

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Bjorn Nitmo. No question

Best name, by far!!

Any time kickers are brought up, the JMU fan must hang his head in shame and say...

Scott Norwood went to JMU...: smh :

BillLuc1982
October 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Too bad Katie Hnida played I-A. She's so hot!

kirkblitz
October 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
josh hoke

UNHWildCats
October 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM
College career

Vinatieri was originally recruited to kick for Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army) and attended West Point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Military_Academy) for several weeks in 1991 before deciding to return home to South Dakota. He was a four-year letterman at South Dakota State University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_State_University) as a placekicker and punter. He finished up his college years of football as the school's all-time scoring leader with 185 career points scored. (His younger brother Beau was a place kicker at Black Hills State University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hills_State_University) before graduating in 2003.)

UNHWildCats
October 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM
OK just got done going through the SDSU media guide heres what I found on Adam....

185 career points

114 PAT att (school record)
27-53 career FGs
1992 and 1993 1st team all conference Punter.

kirkblitz
October 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
josh hoke
Through 2003-2005 not including his 2006 stats
218 points
128-133 Pats
30-46 Field goals

2006 stats so far in 7 games
44 points
23-24 Pats
7-12 Field goals(2 blocked :( )

Block-A
October 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Bjorn Nitmo

I can still see David Letterman saying "Nitmo!" over and over.

"Who do you think you are? Bjorn Nitmo?"

eaglesrthe1
October 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Tim Foley...........set the record by kicking a 63 yard FG.

Georgia Southern, of course.

Foley owns the NCAA IAA record for career % of field goals made over 50 yds (10-11) and for over 40 yds (18-25).

Strange twist to that 63 yd record. It was scored against JMU in 87', and the next year a freshman kicker for GSU set a record for freshmen with a 60 yarder against...JMU.

Also, that 63 yd FG record was tied on the same day by a kicker from Ark St, and has now stood for 20 years.

PantherMan
October 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM

Hoambrecker was amazing. UNI also had a kicker named Brian Mitchell back in late 80's/early 90's that might have been his equal though! Mitchell holds UNI's record for consecutive field goals at 26! :eek:

BillLuc1982
October 20th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Hoambrecker was amazing. UNI also had a kicker named Brian Mitchell back in late 80's/early 90's that might have been his equal though! Mitchell holds UNI's record for consecutive field goals at 26! :eek:

What ever happened to Hoambrecker? I'm surprised he's not in the NFL. He's a kicker to look up to.

BEAR
October 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
UCAs James Paul kicked 49 PATs before having one blocked that nearly tied the school record of 50 straight. His punts have been beyond ridiculous with 3 of them being 74, 76 and a huge 81 yarder! His field goal % is average 8/13 and our opponents are 11/17 so about equal in that dept. He is pretty good on kickoffs:

KICKOFFS No. Yds Avg TB OB
---------------------------------------
Paul,James 37 2303 62.2 14 2

He can boom them and he is only a junior so we have one more year of him bailing us out of the 5 yard line.:hurray:

If he goes pro I am guessing he will probably only kick PATs unless he gets more accurate on the distance of the long field goals. He may or may not stack up with your favorite, but he is pretty good. :twocents:

PantherMan
October 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM
What ever happened to Hoambrecker? I'm surprised he's not in the NFL. He's a kicker to look up to.

He made the Chargers practice squad for a short time. Then he just worked out with the Carolina Panthers this preseason and kicked in the preseason games while their usual kicker got over an injury. He even had to quit his "day job" to go to the Carolina camp!

blur2005
October 21st, 2006, 02:17 AM
What?! No mention of the notorious Scott Norwood??!! :o

:bang:
Best kicker in JMU history. Just imagine if he had made that kick in Super Bowl XXV?

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 21st, 2006, 03:16 AM
Too bad Katie Hnida played I-A. She's so hot!

Oh lord :rolleyes:

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 21st, 2006, 03:19 AM
Best name, by far!!

Any time kickers are brought up, the JMU fan must hang his head in shame and say...

Scott Norwood went to JMU...: smh :

Any time kickers are brought up...this NSU fan must hang his head and say......

We Need One....:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

At least the one we currently have is holding his own....(but then again...he's been given too many opportunities)

UNHFan99
October 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
185 career points

114 PAT att (school record)
27-53 career FGs

Vinatieri was only about 50% on field goals in college. I bet that stat suprises alot of people. :eek:

UNHWildCats
October 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Vinatieri was only about 50% on field goals in college. I bet that stat suprises alot of people. :eek:

sure its a bit surprising but he was 1st team all conference punter 2 years running so i wonder if the converted to place kicking in college and if he did, the learning curve could explain the low percentage

ravens
October 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
n the early 1980's, as was Dean Biasucci of Western Carolina.

Went on to play For the Colts in the NFL.

ravens
October 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
Kirk Roach, WCU

#14 - Kirk Roach (1984-87)

The most honored player in WCU's football history and a member of the Southern Conference's 75th Anniversary Football Team. He is WCU's and the Southern Conference's only three time All American Selection (1984, 1986, 1987) and one of only three conference players to be named All Southern Conference four times (1984-87). At induction he owned 10 Southern Conference, 18 WCU and five NCAA I-AA kicking records. He kicked 71 field goals including 11 of 50 or more yards and accounted for 302 points. He missed only one extra point attempt in four seasons. His jersey was retired on Sept. 30, 2006.

Prior to him , in the early 1980s was Dean Biasucci of Western Carolina who went on to play for the Colts in the NFL.

UNHFan99
October 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Vinatieri is a great story. I heard that he slept in the driveway of the guy that chose who gets to kick in NFL europe just to make sure he was going to have an opportunity. He obviously figured out how to kick better now than in college.

Jaxhen
October 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM
As far as punters go, how about Sean Landeta from Towson, although this was probably before they were I-AA.

"By the end of the 2005 season, Landeta had amassed 1,401 punts for 60,707 yards (43.3 yards per punt average), with 381 punts in the 20 and 166 touchbacks and a 35.3 net yard average. His punts, punting yards, and punts in the 20 are all among the NFL's top 5 leaders in each category."

The Cats
October 22nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Prior to him , in the early 1980s was Dean Biasucci of Western Carolina who went on to play for the Colts in the NFL.

Kirk Roach, WCU

The Doraville, Ga., native is Western Carolina's all-time scoring leader with 302 points. He connected on 71-of-101 field goals in his career and only missed one extra point, making 89-of-90. In addition to holding those school records, Roach still owns NCAA records for most field goals attempted in a career (101), most field goals made in a season of 50 yards or more in a season (7) and career (11), most games kicking two or more field goals (25), longest average distance of field goals attempted (40.5) and highest percentage of field goals made in a season from inside 40 yards as he connected on all 17 attempts in 1986.

Roach also owns Southern Conference records for most field goals attempted in a season (30 -- while also ranking second and ninth-tied on the list), most field goals made in a season (24 -- while also ranking third and 10th-tied on the list) and most field goals made in a career (71). After his four years at Western, he ranked first on the SoCon all-time scoring list with his 302 points, a total which currently ranks seventh in league history, and second on the NCAA I-AA all-time scoring list among kickers, a total which currently ranks 10th.

In 1984, Roach led the SoCon (79 points) and ranked 16th nationally in scoring (7.2 ppg), while ranking ninth nationally in the category in 196 (8.73 ppg) and 21st nationally in 1987 (7.18 ppg). He led the nation in field goals made in 1986 (2.18 per game), while ranking second in 1984 (1.60 per game) and fourth in 1987 (1.73 per game).

Roach's contribution to the Catamount football team went beyond his scoring as he was a weapon on kickoffs. Most of his kickoffs landed in or beyond the endzone so they were not returnable. When a team did return the kickoff, at 6-3 and 223 pounds, Roach turned into a viable defender. He made 11 tackles as a senior, including nine solos stops, and registered 10 tackles in 1987, all solo stops.

#14 Kirk Roach (1984-87)
Placekicker • Doraville, Ga
Year PATs FGS Pts
1984 24-24 16-23 72
1985 19-19 12-20 55
1986 24-25 24-28 96
1987 22-22 19-30 79
Totals 89-90 71-101 302

Kirk Roach http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/genrel/auto_action/574224.jpeg http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/574243.jpeg Kicking barefoot

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
If Brian Wingert keeps it up, we might talk about him. Last night one of his kickoffs hit the goalpost about 1/4 of the way up.

SirApp
October 22nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
If Brian Wingert keeps it up, we might talk about him. Last night one of his kickoffs hit the goalpost about 1/4 of the way up.

That kid has a boot, we'll most definately hear about him at some point in the next level

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Wingert UNI PAT 27-27 FG 13-18
Coffin SIU PAT 31-31 FG 9-9
Take your pick.
:smiley_wi

nmatsen
October 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM

He kicked that ball from the 45 after a defensive penalty on the extra point that was assessed on the kickoff.

Oh and about the UNI vs SIU kicker right now, I would take the SIU kicker, both 100% on XP's but SIU is 100% on field goals and UNI is 72.2%. Brian Wingert himself would tell you that 100%>72.2%

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
He kicked that ball from the 45 after a defensive penalty on the extra point that was assessed on the kickoff.

Oh and about the UNI vs SIU kicker right now, I would take the SIU kicker, both 100% on XP's but SIU is 100% on field goals and UNI is 72.2%. Brian Wingert himself would tell you that 100%>72.2%

Couldn't get back to Youngstown. How is Wingert compared to Hoambrecker? Hoambrecker is a tough act to follow!

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
He made the Chargers practice squad for a short time. Then he just worked out with the Carolina Panthers this preseason and kicked in the preseason games while their usual kicker got over an injury. He even had to quit his "day job" to go to the Carolina camp!

Do you think he'll have any more chances to go pro. I think the Redskins could use him. Why didn't he try out?

Go...gate
October 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Did the Tampa Bay Bucs' kicker attend a I-AA school? He had a nice 62-yarder at the gun to beat Philadelphia yestarday.

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Did the Tampa Bay Bucs' kicker attend a I-AA school? He had a nice 62-yarder at the gun to beat Philadelphia yestarday.

No, he attended Baylor. Should be I-AA but it's been I-A.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Not saying he's the best of all-time, but Piotr Czech a Junior from Wagner is putting up some pretty good numbers.

He has 2 FGS from 54 yards this year - best in I-AA. He is 3 for 4 from 40+ yards for the season.

He was 63 of 66 PATs heading into this season, and is a perfect 19 of 19 this year. That's 82 of 85 in his career to date (96.5 %)

He also has some very good punting stats.

Player bio: http://wagnerathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/czech_piotr00.html

Wagner stats: http://wagnerathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/teamcume.html