PDA

View Full Version : NFL exploring a 43 yard extra point

darell1976
March 3rd, 2014, 05:08 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24466479/report-nfl-exploring-43-yard-extra-point-for-2014-preseason

Back in January, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league was exploring the possibility of someday eliminating (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24415126/roger-goodell-nfl-considering-proposal-to-eliminate-extra-points) extra points.

"The extra point is almost automatic. I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd," Goodell said at the time (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24415126/roger-goodell-nfl-considering-proposal-to-eliminate-extra-points). "So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play."

One way to add excitement to the extra point is to make the kick longer and that's exactly what the competition committee is discussing. According to NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330411/article/nfl-might-experiment-with-making-extrapoint-attempts-longer), the league is in the very early stages of a discussion that could lead to extra points being moved back from the two-yard line to the 25-yard-line for the 2014 preseason. That would make the kick a 43-yard attempt instead of a 20-yard attempt.

"There is no consensus yet," a competition committee member told NFL.com. "We could experiment in preseason, but we are not there yet."
If you're wondering how automatic extra points have become, NFL kickers hit 1,262 out of 1,267 extra points in 2013. That's a 99.6 percent conversion rate.

I think Goodell will eliminate the kicker position before the decade is done. Pretty sad!

BisonFan02
March 3rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
The extra point is a complete waste of time in the NFL....forget the kick and require a 2 point conversion on every TD.

BisonFan02
March 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
The game, if changed, will be done around ways to factor additional (or more streamlined/functional) ways of introducing advertising/commercials or make it easier for TV. Kicking provides a buffer/break.

clenz
March 3rd, 2014, 06:09 PM
Move the PAT to the 1 or half yard line....make the choice "harder".

The kicker will never be eliminated...only morons truly believe that.

PaladinFan
March 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
I like the rugby rule of kicking the ball from where it is scored.

At the end of the day, we may not actually see feet being used in "foot"ball.

walliver
March 4th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I have no problems with eliminating the extra point since I think games should be decided by touchdowns and field goals. The PAT just adds an element of chance, that I don't think improves the game. Forcing teams to go for 2 each time, IMHO, creates artificial drama.

ngineer
March 11th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I have no problems with eliminating the extra point since I think games should be decided by touchdowns and field goals. The PAT just adds an element of chance, that I don't think improves the game. Forcing teams to go for 2 each time, IMHO, creates artificial drama.

Interesting comment, but I am not sure what you mean about an "artificial" drama?

oldSLOguy
March 28th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Make the extra point a true continuation play, part of the touchdown. No substitutions from the teams on the field during the touchdown play except for injury. The injury replacement could not kick or hold.

JayJ79
March 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Make the extra point a true continuation play, part of the touchdown. No substitutions from the teams on the field during the touchdown play except for injury. The injury replacement could not kick or hold.

if you're going to apply that sort of rule to XP's, why not apply it to the whole game? none of this seperate "offense", "defense", "special teams" squads. Only 3 substitutions allowed all game, like soccer. Cuz we know how much people on here love soccer.....

MR. CHICKEN
March 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM

18904.....WOOD BE..TONS MO'...FAILDED 2 POINTERS....VS.....KICKS......ARTIFICIAL DRAMA?.........ISN'T DUH DRAMA.....DAT KEEPS YA TUNED IN?.......IFIN' X-POINTX...LEADS TA ARTY-DRAMA.......WHAT'S...UH 80 YARD DRIVE.....WHIFF 26 SECONDS...ON DUH MICKEY?....xconfusedx......DOODLE-DOO!