McKinnon's numbers from the workouts:

Bench: 32 reps
Broad jump: 11.00'
Vertical: 40.5"
40 yard dash: 4.35

He's gonna get paid...

Professor Chaos
February 23rd, 2014, 08:03 PM
Good lord! He just made himself some money! What was he projected at before that? That's got to vault him into the top 2 rounds I'd think. Too many teams fall in love with the physical numbers for someone not too to grab him high.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
McKinnon's numbers from the workouts:

Bench: 32 reps
Broad jump: 11.00'
Vertical: 40.5"
40 yard dash: 4.35

He's gonna get paid...

Yes he is. Athletic freak.

32 reps is unheard of for a RB. Billy Turner a 300 lb + OT for the Bison only did 25 reps....

Tyler Roehl a RB for the Bison a few years ago benched something like 31 or 32 reps. That's frickin strong.

gobears14
February 24th, 2014, 12:10 AM
He sure looked athletic when he was torching our defense on the ground a few years ago...no wonder we couldn't tackle him lol

CFBfan
February 24th, 2014, 07:22 AM
saw the kid yesterday, he looked VERY good and got a lot of love from Mayock

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 24th, 2014, 07:50 AM
There are immutable genetics involved with what kind of athlete you can be, but a big part of it is just how fanatical McKinnon is at working out and improving himself. The scouts have even taken note of his work ethic.

Great showing by a player recruited for an FCS team. :)

smallcollegefbfan
February 24th, 2014, 08:05 AM
He's been projected as a PFA by most media but has been in the 4th-6th round range from NFL teams for a while. I don't think players quite move up like the media projects. I have had McKinnon on the draft board since November and I know some teams who had 4th round grades on him before I got a chance to really break him down. I said 5th-6th round before this but I would say he goes 4th round now simply because those teams who had him there before will feel they can't wait.

I know Phil Savage and he does not invite players projected to be free agents from FCS schools in November and that's when McKinnon got his invite. At the time I really thought he was a NFLPA or Shrine type player and he didn't stand out in the Senior Bowl but knew his workouts would cement him going on the higher end of his range than the lower end.

PaladinFan
February 24th, 2014, 09:42 AM

32 reps is unheard of for a RB. Billy Turner a 300 lb + OT for the Bison only did 25 reps....

Tyler Roehl a RB for the Bison a few years ago benched something like 31 or 32 reps. That's frickin strong.

Impressive numbers. Hard to compare McKinnon (who is only like 5'8) to guys like Jadaveon Clowney, Billy Turner, or Dakota Dozier. Bench press numbers favor shorter arms, and most of those big guys are strong as bull oxen, but short arms they do not have.

Furman's Jerome Felton had 30 reps a few years back. He's was a 6'0 245 lbs running back (and now all pro fullback).

SpeedkingATL
February 24th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Glad he did well...also glad he graduated. Hope he shoots up the board and gets in a good situation.

eaglewraith
February 24th, 2014, 06:10 PM

He had 2 reps disqualified and then gave out on the 35th, so physically he did 34.

BEAST.

seantaylor
February 24th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Biggest urban myth is bench press numbers favor shorter arms. Not true. Never has been.

ThompsonThe
February 25th, 2014, 03:02 AM
GaSo had two players at the NFL combine last year also, didn't it?

Baldy
February 25th, 2014, 06:31 AM
GaSo had two players at the NFL combine last year also, didn't it?
Just Wilcox.

Baldy
February 25th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Impressive numbers. Hard to compare McKinnon (who is only like 5'8) to guys like Jadaveon Clowney, Billy Turner, or Dakota Dozier. Bench press numbers favor shorter arms, and most of those big guys are strong as bull oxen, but short arms they do not have.

Furman's Jerome Felton had 30 reps a few years back. He's was a 6'0 245 lbs running back (and now all pro fullback).
McKinnon's wingspan is 71" which transfers to a guy who is 6' tall (I think), so his arms aren't all that short.

BUT, there is no denying that Jerick is as strong as a bull ox. xnodx

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/615/img/photos/2014/02/23/03/46/NFL_Combine_Football.JPEG-0.JPG

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 25th, 2014, 08:09 AM

IMO, the long arm fable is just that....myth. I have powerlifting friends with very long wing spans that bench 500+ even a couple of guys 600+.

Either way, McKinnon's #s are very impressive. He almost single-handedly beat the Bison last year in the semis.

BEAR
February 25th, 2014, 10:25 AM
McKinnon did great!

I was also impressed by d2 kid Jeff Janis from Saginaw. I watched his 40 yard dash and his time came up as 4.3 for such a huge kid! Later it showed 4.35 as the official but either way that's blazing speed.

Winindy
February 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure that the long arm thing is a myth. It doesn't mean a person with long arms can't do more reps than a person withur shorter arms. It takes more energy to move an object 20" than it does 19". Over the course of 21 reps, the person that has to move an object 19" vs 20" will have done one less total rep in distance the object is moved.

DoubleH
February 25th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Biggest urban myth is bench press numbers favor shorter arms. Not true. Never has been.

Uh, it is true. And always has been. It's simple physics: in the bench press, short arms give a lifter a mechanical advantage over a longer-armed peer. Work = force x distance. For two lifters producing the same amount of force, the shorter-armed one will do less work per rep because of the shorter distance the bar has to travel.

Back to topic: those are ungodly combine numbers, just beastly. Assuming he had solid shuttle numbers, taken as a whole, that has to be one of the better combine performances of all time.

seantaylor
February 26th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Uh, it is true. And always has been. It's simple physics: in the bench press, short arms give a lifter a mechanical advantage over a longer-armed peer. Work = force x distance. For two lifters producing the same amount of force, the shorter-armed one will do less work per rep because of the shorter distance the bar has to travel.

Back to topic: those are ungodly combine numbers, just beastly. Assuming he had solid shuttle numbers, taken as a whole, that has to be one of the better combine performances of all time.

Please. A persons strength is built to the length of their body. A longer arm individual is accustomed to their body. What you are saying makes zero sense. Fulcrum. It has never been true. Just go ahead and look at the all time combine top 20 in bench reps will tell you all you need to know.

gotts
February 26th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Please. A persons strength is built to the length of their body. A longer arm individual is accustomed to their body. What you are saying makes zero sense. Fulcrum. It has never been true. Just go ahead and look at the all time combine top 20 in bench reps will tell you all you need to know.

Work = Force x Distance

What can you possibly dispute about that?

DoubleH
February 26th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Work = Force x Distance

What can you possibly dispute about that?

LOL, thank you. Not even going to bother to get into an argument here.

Please. A persons strength is built to the length of their body. A longer arm individual is accustomed to their body.

What?? xcrazyx

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 26th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Aren't the pectorals usually the limiting factor of how many reps can be done and not the triceps? Shorter arms won't help you get the bar off of your chest more easily.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Moved to I&O forum.

Shorter arms makes bench presss easier for reaching the counted reps. Don't know who I'm supporting with that but it's a fact and has been since the beginning of bench pressing. The longer arm pushing the weight farther with the same power source (pec) will fail before the shorter distance traveled.