PDA

View Full Version : Wa/Griz expansion?

elkmcc
October 17th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Talk of expanding the stadium gets serious:
UM football stadium expansion kicked around

Oct 17, 2006 06:25 AM MDT

It's no secret that tickets to Montana Grizzly football games can be tough to come by. But now it may become a bit easier. The University of Montana Athletics Department is looking into possibly expansion of Washington-Grizzly Stadium, by adding some 4,000 seats to the stadium.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=5549127

AZGrizFan
October 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray::hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

dbackjon
October 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Good for Montana.

But will this stoke I-A talk?

Hansel
October 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Good for Montana.

everything in Missoula stokes I-A talk ;)

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
The Montana AD makes sure to note that I-A is not part of this all...

"There has been some talk around town of expanding the stadium so that the venue could meet requirements needed to move the football team up to Division I-A. But, O'Day tells us that UM is happy playing in division I-AA."

Tod
October 17th, 2006, 07:37 PM
There has been some talk around town of expanding the stadium so that the venue could meet requirements needed to move the football team up to Division I-A. But, O'Day tells us that UM is happy playing in division I-AA.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

elkmcc
October 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Good for Montana.

No, but the bottom line is there are lots of people that want a ticket. This past Saturday I saw many people outside the NEZ gate looking for tickets but I saw not one person holding tickets up, wanting to sell. My son told me that the student tickets sell out in 4 hours of being offered for sale, tickets that once were free to students. The way the students are crammed into their section the ticket office must be overselling this section anyway.

If the UM administration is talking expansion, they must be receiving a lot of interest in tickets.

AZGrizFan
October 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM
This is funny. When I first got onto AGS, I got into a long discussion with someone (can't remember who), about Missoula's ability to support another 5-7K ticketholders. This person swore there was NO WAY Missoula could do that. BS. As big of a rivalry as we've developed with some of the teams in the BSC (and some outside---witness, Cal Poly), I firmly believe WA-Griz could sell out 30,000 every week.

elkmcc
October 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Montana has got a new promo video that was shown on the Griz Vision last Saturday. This video impressed me as being extremely well done. I find it coincidental that the expansion announcement was made within days of this video being released. I looked for the video online but couldn't find anything. One would think the Admin would want this thing floating around out there. Anyone know anything about the video?

griz37
October 17th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Montana has got a new promo video that was shown on the Griz Vision last Saturday. This video impressed me as being extremely well done. I find it coincidental that the expansion announcement was made within days of this video being released. I looked for the video online but couldn't find anything. One would think the Admin would want this thing floating around out there. Anyone know anything about the video?

I read somewhere that it was made by a professional production company that was doing numerous videos to promote the University. Did you notice the commercial w/the sceince prof? That was part of the series. That commercial is airing nationwide. There was also a rumor that the football video was done by NFL films. Either way it was VERY well done & gave me chills.

elkmcc
October 17th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I read somewhere that it was made by a professional production company that was doing numerous videos to promote the University. Did you notice the commercial w/the sceince prof? That was part of the series. That commercial is airing nationwide. There was also a rumor that the football video was done by NFL films. Either way it was VERY well done & gave me chills.

Exactly. The video struck me as being "NFL'ish".

mtgrizfan4life
October 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I was told the video was done a former NFL films guy and was funded privately by one donor. Not sure who funded it, but it was not Denny Washington. Whoever it is had to shell out some serious $. That video is one of the best productions I have seen at any level. I would not be surprised if this donor also is an investor in new stadium expansion as well. Not sure if this will lead to 1A or what, but do know the GRIZ believe in doing all they can for GRIZ NATION. The Griz may be 1AA, but in reality run the program as if it were 1A. Finally, Thanks to whoever the video funding came from. Anyone that has not seen the new video, I hope in time you will see it. Yes it did add to Washington Grizzly Intimidation as well.

mtgrizfan4life
October 17th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Imagine WA/GRIZ with 4,000 more fans and keeping more noise in. Big games could get over 120 Decibals. As it is we are between 100 and 110 decibals when we decide to get it done. I wonder what it hit in the 4th quarter against NAU. Even the southside endzone fans were loud as ever. That hardly ever happens.

th0m
October 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
That place is getting scarier and scarier (for opponents, that is). Also seems like if the money's there, the room is there for upper decks to be put over the current sideline stands as well as add a concourse and expand press/luxury boxes...

mtgrizfan4life
October 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM
At this point it is all talk, with many options being discussed as how to do the expansion. I am all for expansion, but the biggest concern is parking. It is already insane.

bisonguy
October 17th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Imagine WA/GRIZ with 4,000 more fans and keeping more noise in. Big games could get over 120 Decibals. As it is we are between 100 and 110 decibals when we decide to get it done. I wonder what it hit in the 4th quarter against NAU. Even the southside endzone fans were loud as ever. That hardly ever happens.

You do realize that a decibel is a logarithmic function, and a 3 dB gain represents a doubling of output, and a 10 dB increase is ten times the output, right?

Now, if Montana somehow found a way to double the capacity of the stadium, while keeping it exactly the same size (i.e. splitting the seats into two), you would have at best an increase of 3 dB.

Go Poly
October 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
You do realize that a decibel is a logarithmic function, and a 3 dB gain represents a doubling of output, and a 10 dB increase is ten times the output, right?

Now, if Montana somehow found a way to double the capacity of the stadium, while keeping it exactly the same size (i.e. splitting the seats into two), you would have at best an increase of 3 dB.

I'm an engineer too, but you get the point of this post, i'm sure.

griz37
October 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM

So you are saying we need to yell even louder?

FlyYtown
October 17th, 2006, 10:06 PM
C-mon Griz!!! If you do this its time to move onto I-A and run over Boise St. in the WAC!!! Get on ESPN all the time and have a bowl game called, well I donno, but you guys have the talent and the fan base to do it.....

Money for you guys cannot be a problem; you guys expand that place every 5 years!

bisonguy
October 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM
So you are saying we need to yell even louder?

If you can yell louder, you're not yelling loud enough!! :nod: :nod:

Washington-Griz will definitely be a LOT louder with another 4,000 fans yelling, maybe even into the 110-115dB range at times.

My issue is that I used to work in the audio industry, and one of my pet peeves is incorrect SPL information. A correct SPL reading is more complicated than a reporter standing on the sidelines with a $99 SPL meter from RadioShack that isn't even set to the proper weighting.

elkmcc
October 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM

So, in 2004 when ESPN measured the decible level in Wa/Griz at 104 and later 110 I guess that was because we let the other 40,000 fans into the stadium?:eyebrow:

bisonguy
October 17th, 2006, 10:23 PM
So, in 2004 when ESPN measured the decible level in Wa/Griz at 104 and later 110 I guess that was because we let the other 40,000 fans into the stadium?:eyebrow:

Nah, it's because the SPL of the fans is not constant. It also can vary depending on where they were standing due to areas of acoustic reinforcement and cancellation. It can also vary due to the proximity of the microphone to the source.

If you really want to get into an acoustics discussion, shoot me a PM.

FargoBison
October 17th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Hey Griz when you guys finish this expansion be sure to give us a call, we'd love to help the Griz break in another expansion. :D :D :D

Polywog
October 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Three cheers for Montana. I think it's thrilling to see a school like Montana discussing yet another expansion to their stadium, and making it perfectly clear they have no intention to move to IA.

Good for the Griz = Good for I-AA.

bisonguy
October 17th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Are there any concept drawings of what the expansion options might look like?

I thought the last expansion at Washington-Griz was very well done.

igo4uni
October 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Three cheers for Montana. I think it's thrilling to see a school like Montana discussing yet another expansion to their stadium, and making it perfectly clear they have no intention to move to IA.

Good for the Griz = Good for I-AA.

Yup, I agree.

SeattleGriz
October 17th, 2006, 11:08 PM

To throw in my two cents. When I was with ROTC (1994), we presented the flags for the national anthem. I had to scream just so the guy at the end (three people away) could hear my commands, and this was only the people cheering AFTER the anthem.

I cannot imagine how loud it must get on the field during a game. This was an expansion ago as well.

DuckDuckGriz
October 17th, 2006, 11:37 PM
To throw in my two cents. When I was with ROTC (1994), we presented the flags for the national anthem. I had to scream just so the guy at the end (three people away) could hear my commands, and this was only the people cheering AFTER the anthem.

I cannot imagine how loud it must get on the field during a game. This was an expansion ago as well.

That was between 2 or 3 expansions.....right?

If I remember correctly the stadium expanded in 1995, and 2003 but didn't it some time between there too?

grizband
October 17th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Rather than adding 4000 more seats, I would like to see Wash-Griz add better press boxes, and lights. I think we could play at least one night game a year, and every time I see the stadium lit up (UNH 2004, Stones concert) it just reminds me how great this would be.

DuckDuckGriz
October 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Rather than adding 4000 more seats, I would like to see Wash-Griz add better press boxes, and lights. I think we could play at least one night game a year, and every time I see the stadium lit up (UNH 2004, Stones concert) it just reminds me how great this would be.

Even more than one. Night games would be fine well into late September. Sure it would be chilly but fall nights in Western Montana are crisp and gorgeous. Heck, if they can play night games in Boise in November why not Missoula?

grizband
October 18th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Even more than one. Night games would be fine well into late September. Sure it would be chilly but fall nights in Western Montana are crisp and gorgeous. Heck, if they can play night games in Boise in November why not Missoula?
If I was a donor, this is where I would put my money...too bad Im just a poor bum on a message board:smiley_wi

dprichar
October 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM
A poor bum with a captivating avatar picture.:eek:

th0m
October 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Word......:eek:

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I think Montana's days in DI-AA are numbered (and that's not a *really* clever reference to the name change :rolleyes: ).

I think they're going to be averaging 30k for every game in the next 5 years and the WAC is going to need more schools in the future.

Think about this: if the Pac 10, WAC, and MWC all went to 12 teams, that would be 8 teams that would get added to the WAC and MWC.

Grizzaholic
October 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I don't want this to turn into another damn " Montana should go to the WAC or what ever thread ". I love the I-AA and the PLAYOFFS!!! And what would happen to the BSC if Montana left with/MSU and or PSU? Would it disolve and the teams would be picked up by other conferences or would the BSC just pick up a couple of up and coming D2 teams?

Please don't answer these dumb questions because I don't want to contribute to the hijacking of a thread.

Just one more thing, more people means it will be a little tougher for those opposing QB's to hear the play calling. GO GRIZ:hurray: :hurray:

VictorG
October 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM

No problem! There are a few thousand females at each game that wouldn't have a problem finding a "lap" to sit on! Let the "lap" sitters in for free and charge double for the people providing the lap to sit on!!:D

griz37
October 18th, 2006, 09:08 AM
No problem! There are a few thousand females at each game that wouldn't have a problem finding a "lap" to sit on! Let the "lap" sitters in for free and charge double for the people providing the lap to sit on!!:D

I would be willing to pay double for that. Provided we get to choose the gal sitting on our lap. :thumbsup:

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 09:16 AM
And what would happen to the BSC if Montana left with/MSU and or PSU? Would it disolve and the teams would be picked up by other conferences or would the BSC just pick up a couple of up and coming D2 teams?

They'd add other teams.

Perhaps UVSC for Weber. Maybe add both SUU and Dixie. Etc.

DuckDuckGriz
October 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
They'd add other teams.

No offense but excuse me while I
:pumpuke:

Polywog
October 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM
They'd add other teams.

Better yet, add Poly and Davis as associate members for football!!!

(Assuming the demise of the GWFC)

elkmcc
October 18th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Kaimen article add more to speculation:
School mulls stadium expansion
Story by Zachary Franz
Montana Kaimin
Washington-Grizzly Stadium already has more seats than any other stadium in the Big Sky Conference and may be adding significantly more in the foreseeable future.
University of Montana officials are considering an addition to the stadium that would add 4,000 to 6,000 seats, said UM Athletic Director Jim O’Day.

There simply isn’t enough room right now for Griz fans, O’Day said. Football games consistently sell out before the demand for tickets is satisfied

http://www.montanakaimin.com/index.php/news/news_article/school_mulls_stadium_expansion/

Tailbone
October 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Everything else being the same, I'd agree, However.....What about "in-phase" reflections to the focal-point (or proximity) of a parabolic enclosure (this of course includes harmonics)? In any event, above a certain db level, continued exposure (less than a minute) can cause hearing damage - certainly accompanied by a degree of numbness or insensitivity.

Bottom line....after a short but sustained exposure to loud volume, It just becomes "seriously loud" and a few db here or there has little impact on the subjective experience.

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
No offense but excuse me while I
:pumpuke:

What would you care, you'd be in the WAC?

DuckDuckGriz
October 18th, 2006, 04:34 PM
What would you care, you'd be in the WAC?

To be honest, right now I cheer for Oregon in the Pac 10 and Montana in the Big Sky. I usually care more about how the Griz are doing. If Montana moved to the WAC and a system that doesn't properly reward a champion or offer something real to play for, I would have a hard time maintaining that passion.

And the Big Sky would be nonexistant.

MplsBison
October 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM
And the Big Sky would be nonexistant.

That's the only reason Montana hasn't gone DI-A?

Come on..

grizband
October 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
That's the only reason Montana hasn't gone DI-A?

Come on..
I don't think thats the only reason, but any move for Montana would be made with trepidation at this point. We are in a big fish/small pond type of situation, in which we make alot of money for each home game, consistantly make the playoffs, and contend for a national title on a yearly basis. Not many other teams at any level of college football can make this claim. I, for one, am against any move up. We have a great thing going here in Missoula, and I would hate to see anything screw that up. Here's to UM challenging for Big Sky and I-AA titles for years to come.:hurray:

mtgrizfan4life
October 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
While on the subject of WA GRIZ, nice article.

Voices of Washington-Grizzly Stadium

Dickenson, perhaps the greatest quarterback in UM history, said he probably would have played college football in Missoula even if the Grizzlies were still based at Dornblaser Field when he signed with UM in the spring of 1991.

"I always wanted to go there, as long ago as 7th or 8th grade," said Dickenson. "So I still might have gone there."

But Dickenson, who starred at Great Falls Russell High before attending UM, said a lot of other prep stars might never have been Grizzlies if it weren't for the lure of a new stadium.

"We probably would have gotten some of the good local talent, but the good guys out of state, we probably wouldn't get them," said Dickenson.

"It wasn't all the stadium ... some of it (attraction) was Don Read. But if you're going to bring a guy in from out of state, first impressions are important."

Dickenson played at UM from 1992-95 and threw for a school-record 11,080 yards and 96 touchdowns. He has spent the last 11 years playing professional football and currently is with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League.

Clark used to attend football games regularly at Dornblaser Field when he was a student at UM in the mid-1970s.

But after graduation in 1978, he moved away from Missoula and got out of the football habit.

"I never went back to another game at Dornblaser," said Clark, a Great Falls banker. "I was living in Billings until 1985 or so, and just didn't get back there."

But when Washington-Grizzly Stadium opened in 1986, Clark resumed being a Griz fan.

"Once they built the new stadium, I was far more interested," he said.

Clark and his wife, Paula, became season-ticket holders. Then about five years ago, the Clarks and four other Great Falls families purchased a used motor home, so they could drive to Missoula in comfort, and tailgate before and after games at the stadium.

"About 90 percent of the reason we bought it (motorhome) was for Griz games," he said.

"The stadium was a a great addition, right there on campus, much closer to everything," said Clark, who sits in a group with "17 or 18 friends" in the north end zone, the loudest and most boisterous section of the crowd.

Bobby Hauck, UM head coach, obviously enjoys the advantage that Washington-Grizzly Stadium affords him and his staff.

"We're the only one in our league — I can't speak for the entire nation at the I-AA level — that has an atmosphere like this," he said. "People are there and they're having fun. It's one of the real good (football) atmospheres in the country."

Hauck has coached at some of the best and biggest stadiums in the nation. He's been an assistant coach at UCLA, Colorado and Washington, and he's been to several bowl games.

"I've been lucky in my career to coach at some great places ... at Washington, we had 74,800 or so and sold out every week. Our place was loud, one of the fun places to see a game.

"At Colorado, when we were good, sometimes there were 51,000-plus, but at times it was like our stadium.

"Our stadium is not Tennessee or Washington or Michigan, but we're in that mix as far as atmosphere. We've probably got a better atmosphere than 90 percent of the I-A programs in the country."

Walsh has been the head football coach at Portland State for 14 seasons and has taken five Viking teams into Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

All five have lost.

"It's an extreme homefield advantage," Walsh said. "Your guys better have their eyes and minds right — they can't have their eyes in the stands looking at all those people."

Walsh recalls UM's 20-17 victory over the Vikes in 1998, when the Missoula crowd had a direct impact on the outcome. He said the Vikings had the lead and the ball with a few minutes to go when, on 3rd-and-short, a PSU freshman tight end couldn't hear the snap count and jumped offside.

The Grizzlies scored in the final seconds to win.

"To me that particular game indicated exactly how much it means to those fans," Walsh said.

Walsh, whose 1996 team was beaten 63-6 in Missoula, remembers something else about that 1998 game.

"We went to a steakhouse for dinner afterwards and when our team came in there, everybody stood and clapped," Walsh said. "I thought that was a class act. I don't think you find that everywhere in college football."

The UM success rate at home is really no accident, he said.

"It's hard to be flat at home when you always have 23,000 people there cheering like crazy," Walsh said. "You're gonna come out fired-up every time you play."

Van Diest, whose Carroll College teams have won the last four NAIA national championships, worked as an assistant under former Griz head coach Larry Donovan in the 1980s.

Van Diest was at Washington-Griz a few years ago for a reunion of the 1982 Montana team.

"That stadium, gosh, it's just unbelievable," Van Diest said. "It's a phenomenal setting."

Van Diest gives a lot of credit to his old boss, Donovan, and fellow coaching peer Joe Glenn for the construction of the facility.

"Larry Donovan was very instrumental. He had a great vision," Van Diest said. "Larry and Joe Glenn were two main components. Their friendship with Denny Washington was very strong."

Van Diest, who coached at his alma mater, Wyoming, and in the Big Ten at Northwestern, said the atmosphere in Missoula provides a true homefield advantage.

"I don't think Washington-Griz is any less effective as any of those big-time places," he said. "In terms of noise and excitement, it's awesome. The fans are right on top of you. It's just a wonderful, wonderful place that doesn't take a back seat to any place in the country."

David Reeves, the head coach at Rocky Mountain College, was a starting defensive back for Montana in 1986. He remembers well the first game at Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

"It was like going from the pasture to the Rose Bowl," said Reeves.

Location, he said, was also a huge factor.

"When it opened it put the games back on campus, which is where college football belongs," Reeves said. "Back then people were starving for wins. Once they started winning, they've never looked back. I mean opposing teams just hate that place."

Reeves was an assistant coach under Mick Dennehy at Utah State before taking the Rocky Mountain post.

"I've seen LSU and Nebraska," said Reeves, "and that place in Missoula is one of the best venues in all of college football."

On many levels, Cliff Hysell is a Montana State Bobcat.

A former MSU player, Hysell served as an assistant coach for highly successful Bobcat teams 30 years ago and was the program's head coach from 1992-99.

Hysell said Washington-Grizzly has been good for all Montana football fans, even those in Bozeman.

"What they did forced Montana State to step up what they were doing," he said, alluding to a remodeling project at Bobcat Stadium that has greatly enhanced the game-day atmosphere in Bozeman.

Hysell, who never lost to the Grizzlies as a player and rarely fell to UM as an assistant coach, never beat the Griz as a head coach.

"It's gigantic what that stadium has done for them," he said. "Especially on a national level. In essence they were buying all those playoff games at home, and it obviously made a helluva difference. Not only because of the great crowds, but because of the weather."

Hysell, a native East Helenan who worked for Jim Sweeney at Fresno State before coming home to restore a downtrodden Bobcat program to respectability, said Washington-Grizzly Stadium and the people who fill it are special.

"I've coached at UCLA, Arizona, Oregon — some good places," Hysell said. "And their crowd over there is every bit as good. And they're very educated football fans."

MplsBison
October 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
We are in a big fish/small pond type of situation, in which we make alot of money for each home game, consistantly make the playoffs, and contend for a national title on a yearly basis.

All true.

Though I might add that UM had a million (or so?) debt in the AD.

However, there is an old saying. You're either getting better or you're getting worse.

No one team can be at the top forever. And in UM's case, the only real way they can get better is to make the jump up to DI-A.

Grizzaholic
October 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
no no no:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: not another move to I-A......no no please make the bad man stop

Ronbo
October 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
All true.

Though I might add that UM had a million (or so?) debt in the AD.

However, there is an old saying. You're either getting better or you're getting worse.

No one team can be at the top forever. And in UM's case, the only real way they can get better is to make the jump up to DI-A.

In the last poll taken on eGriz it was a virtual 50-50 tie with fans voting a move to the WAC, So take the few Griz fans that post here with a grain of salt. Many Griz fans realize that our Basketball program needs the WAC to go to the next level. Our GPI in the Big Sky relagates us to a 12-15 seed even if we go 28-1.

AZGrizFan
October 19th, 2006, 01:38 PM
In the last poll taken on eGriz it was a virtual 50-50 tie with fans voting a move to the WAC, So take the few Griz fans that post here with a grain of salt. Many Griz fans realize that our Basketball program needs the WAC to go to the next level. Our GPI in the Big Sky relagates us to a 12-15 seed even if we go 28-1.

So, Ronbo, you're willing to trade up 6-7 spots in March Madness (assuming of course, we get in, and assuming of course that we go 28-1, or something like that), for football mediocrity (at worst) or trips to the Las Vegas Bowl or the Smurf Bowl?

No thanks. I'll take competing for the I-AA title every year, and making a little noise in March Madness on occasion. Mark my words: After last years impressive win over Nevada in the tourney, we win the BSC this year in basketball and we will not be below a 10 seed. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

UNI proved that it's possible to be successful with the current mix. We just need to keep scheduling the Stanfords, Gonzagas, etc., out west to prove our worth.

Grizzaholic
October 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
In no way does basketball compare to football. Football is the king sport around here now, even if basketball used to be and could still be really good but a marchmadness trade for playoffs and NC's is not a very good, trade in my opinion.

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
And Ronbo, if you make noise continually in the tourney, and schedule up, you will get higher seeds - think Gonzaga......

griz37
October 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM

If we continue to play a schedule like last years & go 28-1, we will not be a 12 seed. Look at Bucknell. They won a tourney game in '04, had a good '05 season & they are rewarded with a 9 seed last year. We do not need to be in a major conference to make noise in the Big Dance.

Live4Griz
October 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM
In no way does basketball compare to football. Football is the king sport around here now, even if basketball used to be and could still be really good but a marchmadness trade for playoffs and NC's is not a very good, trade in my opinion.

agreed...I-AA all the Way!!

GO GRIZ

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM
UNI has been getting more pub and recognition every year. Making playoff runs and getting more press certainly can't hurt.

Also, couldn't UM add 10,000 seats and still sell out?

Grizzaholic
October 19th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I am pretty sure they would be close every week except Thanksgiving weekend. That weekend we usually only have 16,000-18,000. But the cost basis, or whatever you call it, doesn't add up for the cost of building 10,000 more seats.

note to self: only time I have ever talked about Thanksgiving weekend and not brought up "you know who"

no smack intended

elkmcc
October 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I would like to see the University implement a fundraiser for this proposed expansion. It has been a while since the football program hit up Missoula for $$'s. The community of Missoula stands to benefit as much as anyone from any expansion, the merchants know how important is is to them and my hunch is that it wouldn't be too difficult to get a significant amount of money from this approach.

If funding for the expansion comes from selling seats you can bet that existing ticket holders will see a rise in their season ticket prices. On the other hand if demand for tickets is as stong as it seems to be, the laws of supply and demand suggest that current ticket prices are unrealistically low. Excess seating would help keep prices down if that is true.

Lots of things to consider.

mtgrizfan4life
October 20th, 2006, 12:17 AM
We are lucky fans come playoff time. We pay alot less $$$$$$ come the playoffs. Thank you NCAA (hard to believe I just said that regarding the NCAA)! Scary thing is that many fans would pay alot more $ to attend GRIZ games. (Oh please do not have the ticket price decision makers see this.)

Ronbo
October 20th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I would like to see the University implement a fundraiser for this proposed expansion. It has been a while since the football program hit up Missoula for $$'s. The community of Missoula stands to benefit as much as anyone from any expansion, the merchants know how important is is to them and my hunch is that it wouldn't be too difficult to get a significant amount of money from this approach.

If funding for the expansion comes from selling seats you can bet that existing ticket holders will see a rise in their season ticket prices. On the other hand if demand for tickets is as stong as it seems to be, the laws of supply and demand suggest that current ticket prices are unrealistically low. Excess seating would help keep prices down if that is true.

Lots of things to consider.

I would eagarly contribute to an expansion. Not thousands but in the hundreds. We get enough folks that do that and it adds up fast. If 12,000 people gave an average $500, the expansion is paid for.

VictorG
October 20th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Also, couldn't UM add 10,000 seats and still sell out?

Not initially but western Montana is growing fairly rapidly. IMO we could consistantly get close or even sell out another 2000 seats the majority of the time now at the current ticket rates. I think 4000 would be consistantly sold out in 3 to 5 years. I don't think we could sell 10,000 unless they reduced ticket prices or maybe reserved a large portion of those seats for students. 5 years from now that may be a different story.

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Just seems like there are always plenty of people in line for season tickets. Not as many as say the Packers, but still.

VictorG
October 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Just seems like there are always plenty of people in line for season tickets. Not as many as say the Packers, but still.

I based my "guesstimate" on my own experience. We have a block of tickets that several families get together and pay for. Each week we have at least 2 tickets to "give" away to friends, sometimes more. It used to be that every year at least 2 or more of our guests would buy season tickets within the next couple of years. (That hasn't happened for the past few years, not because season tickets aren't available either.)

Additionally, sometimes we can't even find people to "give" the tickets to and they go unused! IMO, most of the people we know who want season tickets, have them. In our age bracket, the remaining people either can't afford them, are Bobcat fans : smh : , or (and this is the majority), have kids in sports and are always traveling around the state following their kids!

grizbeer
October 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I based my "guesstimate" on my own experience. We have a block of tickets that several families get together and pay for. Each week we have at least 2 tickets to "give" away to friends, sometimes more. It used to be that every year at least 2 or more of our guests would buy season tickets within the next couple of years. (That hasn't happened for the past few years, not because season tickets aren't available either.)

Additionally, sometimes we can't even find people to "give" the tickets to and they go unused! IMO, most of the people we know who want season tickets, have them. In our age bracket, the remaining people either can't afford them, are Bobcat fans : smh : , or (and this is the majority), have kids in sports and are always traveling around the state following their kids!

I have heard other people say the same thing about having a hard time giving away tickets other than homecoming and Cat-Griz. On the other hand I remember when I didn't have season tickets, we usually had plans for each weekend, traveling, camping, fishing, hunting, etc, and somebody would call up late in the week or even on Saturday and offer tickets and of course you already made plans. Of course when we knew we would get a ticket before we made plans we would always use them, but I don't think having trouble giving tickets to people you know the week of the game is the best indicator of ticket demand, especially for people outside of Missoula.

If the Griz win a NC this year or next I would expect to see all of the 4,000 seat addition pre-sold before they are built.

As far as paying for them remember that the last addition should be paid off by next year at the latest, so the revenue from those 4,000 seats can also go to pay for the new expansion. Revenue from the 8,000 seats would pay for the expansion in 4 - 5 years at current prices.