PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Signing Day Thread

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2014, 08:21 AM
24 hours hence everyone will have a class they are really excited about. With the increase in social media exposure, recruiting has been almost a spectator sport for many of us.

Certainly seems that this year the SoCon recruiting trail was a tough fight. Lot of conference schools going head to head for kids and actually seeing a number of those commit from one school to another. Some of these guys may go down as greats in the history of the conference, and for others this might be the only time you ever hear their name.

walliver
February 4th, 2014, 08:29 AM
24 hours hence everyone will have a class they are really excited about. With the increase in social media exposure, recruiting has been almost a spectator sport for many of us.

Certainly seems that this year the SoCon recruiting trail was a tough fight. Lot of conference schools going head to head for kids and actually seeing a number of those commit from one school to another. Some of these guys may go down as greats in the history of the conference, and for others this might be the only time you ever hear their name.

Maybe the words "commit" and "Commitment" should be banned. A number of players appear to be "committed" to whichever school they visited last.

Smitty
February 4th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Well isn't this fancy...

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Maybe the words "commit" and "Commitment" should be banned. A number of players appear to be "committed" to whichever school they visited last.

It is strange. Just talking about Furman, we had one kid commit to Mercer, then to Furman, and then back to Mercer. Another committed to Furman and then almost immediately committed to UTC. Yet another appears to have committed to Furman after having already committed to the Citadel and then to Wofford.

I'm sure the coaches will be sitting there staring at the fax machine tomorrow morning.

walliver
February 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM
It is strange. Just talking about Furman, we had one kid commit to Mercer, then to Furman, and then back to Mercer. Another committed to Furman and then almost immediately committed to UTC. Yet another appears to have committed to Furman after having already committed to the Citadel and then to Wofford.

I'm sure the coaches will be sitting there staring at the fax machine tomorrow morning.

And he still has one day to commit to Mercer, Chatty, Sammy, or WCU:)

In his defense, however, he would probably do more receiving, and less blocking, at FU than for the two option teams.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2014, 10:41 AM
And he still has one day to commit to Mercer, Chatty, Sammy, or WCU:)

In his defense, however, he would probably do more receiving, and less blocking, at FU than for the two option teams.

Just looked at his twitter feed. He actually has a screen shot of Furman's coaches contacting him back as early as March, 2013. So, I assume Furman maybe made a late play for him.

I think even stalwart Wofford fans would concede that if you were going to play slot receiver at the next level (university preferences aside) you'd rather play in Furman's system than Wofford or the Citadel. Furman's slot receivers are a core piece of the offense. At Wofford and the Citadel they are essentially blocking backs.

Sandlapper Spike
February 4th, 2014, 11:56 AM
If you're a talented receiver you will get opportunities to shine regardless of the offense. After all, a former wideout in a triple option offense just set the record for most receptions in a Super Bowl (and was a first round draft pick, too).

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2014, 12:12 PM
If you're a talented receiver you will get opportunities to shine regardless of the offense. After all, a former wideout in a triple option offense just set the record for most receptions in a Super Bowl (and was a first round draft pick, too).

I don't disagree with the premise, but we aren't talking about Demaryius Thomas. Thomas would have gotten a look in the NFL regardless of college offense. He also probably wouldn't have come to GT had the Jackets been running the option when he was recruited.

Not saying this kid couldn't succeed at the position with Wofford. I imagine he would have been one of the best receivers on the roster and likely starting as a freshman. I just think that if I am going to the next level, a large part of the "fit" is involvement in the system.

catamount man
February 4th, 2014, 12:37 PM
ETSU is scooping up a bunch of western NC kids per the Asheville C-T. One from Waynesville, a mere 30 min drive to WCU. Given the proximity and the good games the 2 programs have had in the past, I'd like to see WCU VS ETSU become a good rivalry. CATS leads the series 23-21 with a couple of ties I believe. More of a rival than App ever was.

All in all, I think the CATS will have a good 2014 class. I like the Dalton kid from East Henderson HS in Flat Rock, NC. big sucker!
GO CATS!

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2014, 12:39 PM
ETSU is scooping up a bunch of western NC kids per the Asheville C-T. One from Waynesville, a mere 30 min drive to WCU. Given the proximity and the good games the 2 programs have had in the past, I'd like to see WCU VS ETSU become a good rivalry. CATS leads the series 23-21 with a couple of ties I believe. More of a rival than App ever was.

All in all, I think the CATS will have a good 2014 class. I like the Dalton kid from East Henderson HS in Flat Rock, NC. big sucker!
GO CATS!

I'd love to see the SoCon start pushing rivalries (which, I think, informs some of the schedule changes). There are a couple of no brainers out there.

catamount man
February 4th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I'd love to see the SoCon start pushing rivalries (which, I think, informs some of the schedule changes). There are a couple of no brainers out there.

Yep. The WCU-Furman games in the early 80s spring to mind as well when it comes to "rival games". I still know some Paladins who hold a grudge from the end of the 1983 playoff game.

walliver
February 4th, 2014, 01:42 PM

It is hard for a conference to manufacture rivalries. It requires on-field competitiveness in addition to geography/mission. Wofford's 2 biggest games should be FU and the Citadel, but in practice, our two biggest games for the past few years have been GSU and ASU. A few year's back and those 2 were FU's big games. Hopefully we can develop rivalries with Mercer and Samford.

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2014, 01:49 PM
It is hard for a conference to manufacture rivalries. It requires on-field competitiveness in addition to geography/mission. Wofford's 2 biggest games should be FU and the Citadel, but in practice, our two biggest games for the past few years have been GSU and ASU. A few year's back and those 2 were FU's big games. Hopefully we can develop rivalries with Mercer and Samford.

I agree. Furman struck up a rivalry with Georgia Southern in the mid 80s that was pretty strong even in some of Furman's recent down years (Paladins have won 3 of the last 4 in Paulson).

Furman has never really viewed Wofford as their primary rival. I think that has most to do with the fact by the time Wofford entered the SoCon, Furman had had long established rivalries.

I do think you have some intriguing matchups. Wofford-Citadel-Furman seems like a good series that they are setting up on a rotating home/away basis. I think Furman-Mercer will be an interesting one to watch for a few years given the close personal ties between the programs. Mercer-Samford are two schools that share a lot in common. Obviously, VMI and the Citadel have a common history.

The key to the whole rivalry puzzle is ETSU. If the Bucs can restart the program with even moderate success, I think they can have a compelling back and forth with WCU and UTC.

FUBeAR
February 5th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Yep. The WCU-Furman games in the early 80s spring to mind as well when it comes to "rival games". I still know some Paladins who hold a grudge from the end of the 1983 playoff game.

I know 1 former Paladin player who holds the memory of 74 stitches & plastic surgery from being blind-sided by a crutch (yes, a crazed fan from the 'Whee swung his dang crutch like Frank Thomas going after a hanging curve ball) to his face while defending Furman's goalpost (and honor) from a horde of mountain hooligans after the '84 regular season game.

Definitely a heated rivalry between the Cantamounts and the 'Dins in the early to mid 80's!

Smitty
February 5th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Just to be the first to post the first recruit...

Jordan Mathis
WR - 5-10 - 180 lbs.
Marietta, Ga. (Marietta HS)

Prior to Western Carolina: Three-year varsity letter winner who earned honorable mention all-conference accolades twice before garnering second team honors as a senior... Recorded 42 receptions for 662 yards and eight touchdowns for the Blue Devils, who finished 8-3 and earned a state playoff trip ... Added 74 rushing yards and a TD on the ground ... a two-sport standout including football and baseball ... As a senior, broke the school record for most career touchdowns with 23 ... Is expected to walk-on the Catamount baseball team as a sophomore ... Earned the Jackie Smallwood Award for baseball ... High school coach was Scott Burton.
Personal: Full name is Jordan Elliott Mathis ... Is the son of Mark and Melanie Mathis ... Has two younger siblings, Sydney and Christian ... Father played collegiate football at Liberty University before a six-year career in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Miami Dolphins. Note: Chose Western Carolina over Charlotte, Austin Peay and Chattanooga.

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I am just going to post the list later in the day. Most of these LOIs come in early in the morning.

Smitty
February 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I am just going to post the list later in the day. Most of these LOIs come in early in the morning.

Yeah I'll do a full list later on, just wanted to be the first to post. Huzzah!

PaladinNation
February 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM
As of 9:45 Furman has 16 signed…

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 08:51 AM
As of 9:45 Furman has 16 signed…

Furman's got a real nice looking class. Future's bright in Greenville.

chattownmocs
February 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209386655&DB_OEM_ID=17700

chattanoogamocs
February 5th, 2014, 11:54 AM

Here is an interesting article concerning the kid who flip-flopped from Furman to Chattanooga. My mother always told me that a handwritten follow up note is appreciated...

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/24497673-Hillgrove-running-back-pleased-with-Chattanooga-commitment

After originally picking Furman, Bagley received a letter from Chattanooga linebackers coach Rusty Wright, wishing him the best.

Bagley said Wright’s gesture of sending that letter made him second-guess his decision to sign with the Paladins.

“They really seemed to care for me (at Chattanooga),” Bagley said, “so I decided to go back and take a second look at them.”

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Hillgrove running back pleased with Chattanooga commitment (http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/24497673-Hillgrove-running-back-pleased-with-Chattanooga-commitment#ixzz2sTHwnSJc)

PaladinNation
February 5th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I save every handwritten note I get… great article. Concerning Bagley, I thought Furman was looking at Kealand Dirks as a fullback. Now that I've seen some more film and the coaches video snippets about the other running back recruits I think Bagley made the right decision. I see the coaches building the offense around the 6-1 230 Dirks, he's listed as running a 4.4… not sure that its legit but for a big fella he's got some quick feet.

Still… Bagley is a great get for Chatty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u-Rww-9pYs&feature=youtu.be

PaladinNation
February 5th, 2014, 12:11 PM
The best name in this Paladin Class… PJ Blazejowski. Two-year starter who passed for 4,500 yards and 46 touchdowns and rushed for 1,300 yards and 26 scores in his career...named 2013 FloridaHSFootball.com first team all-state and second team all-state in voting by the media. Chose Furman over a bunch of FCS schools including W&M, UNH, Mercer. I think he's the best dual threat QB Furman has signed in many, many years.

<font color="#444444" face="Roboto Condensed, helvetica"><span style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK4ctVk0QZo

More film on blaze…

hudl: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/585476/highlights/65753384?autoplay=1

player of the week: http://www.news4jax.com/sports/football-friday/pj-blaze-heats-up-against-creekside/-/475622/22518766/-/a2ktof/-/index.html

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It is (way too) early, but Dirks strikes me as a guy that can potentially turn into a Jerome Felton or Eric Britenstein. Not going to win a lot of sprints, but is a big back with extremely quick feet and great vision.

Dirks and Blazejowski are a lot to get excited about. Not sure how Furman landed a Florida first team all state quarterback in 6A, but they did.

I always think it is hard to determine value on film of high school tightends, but few FCS programs have developed that position as well as Furman has, and they just landed two more TEs who are both 6'4 230+. Lot of weapons coming in on offense.

PaladinNation
February 5th, 2014, 12:28 PM
It is (way too) early, but Dirks strikes me as a guy that can potentially turn into a Jerome Felton or Eric Britenstein. Not going to win a lot of sprints, but is a big back with extremely quick feet and great vision.

Dirks and Blazejowski are a lot to get excited about. Not sure how Furman landed a Florida first team all state quarterback in 6A, but they did.

I always think it is hard to determine value on film of high school tightends, but few FCS programs have developed that position as well as Furman has, and they just landed two more TEs who are both 6'4 230+. Lot of weapons coming in on offense.

And both are basketball players… Ajay Williams is 6-4 240 and is the point guard for his high school basketball team.

chattownmocs
February 5th, 2014, 12:33 PM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=209396267

PaladinNation
February 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Furman just got some big news… Terrell Bush decided to stick with Furman. Southern Miss and Navy made hard late pushes.

kdinva
February 5th, 2014, 12:58 PM
VMI got 14 today......maybe a couple more later this month:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43765&SPID=3895&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209396318&DB_OEM_ID=9800

Adam Doll-Hennis, LB, 6'1, 235, Lexington, va
Chase Smith, OL, 6'3", 275, Purcellville, VA
Devin Johnson, DT, 6'1", 270, Swancea, SC
Brice Tucker, WR, 6'0", 170, Va. Beach
Michael Williams, DB, 5'10", 170, Powder Springs, Ga.
Gabe Sutherland, DB, 5'11", 205, McLean, Va.
Greg Sanders, DB, 5'10", 170, Memphis, TN.
Tony Richardson, OLB, 6'3",215, Morgantown, WV
Xavier Greenfield, DL, 6'1", 270, Ridgeway, VA
Jade Maher, QB, 6'5", 190, Connelsville, PA
John Mobley, TE, 6'3", 235, Suffolk, VA
Brian Lipscomb, LB, 6'3", 220, Hampton VA
Bradley Brown, OL, 6'4", 275, Magna Vista, VA
Allan Cratsenburg, ILB, 6'3", 225, Natrona Heights, PA

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Furman just got some big news… Terrell Bush decided to stick with Furman. Southern Miss and Navy made hard late pushes.

That's a big get for the Paladins. He was one name kind of hanging around out there. Reportedly had offers from Navy, So. Miss, App State, Arkansas State, Southern Alabama, and a slew of FCS programs.

6'3 300 and runs a sub-5 40.

The Cats
February 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Western Carolina Football Incoming Class

7:01 AM
Phillips Marshall
DT
6-2
245 lbs.
Charleston, S.C. (Porter-Gaud HS)

Chris Seaborn
S
6-2
200 lbs.
Atlanta, Ga. (B.E.S.T Academy)

Kaleb Spry
OL
6-2
285 lbs.
Kannapolis, N.C. (A.L. Brown HS)

Kendall White
LB
5-11
210 lbs.
Jacksonville, N.C. (White Oak HS)

7:03 AM
Jordan Mathis
WR
5-10
180 lbs.

7:25 AM
Tyran Reynolds
WR
6-1
185 lbs.
Crystal River, Fla. (Crystal River HS)

7:33 AM
Andrew Miles
OL
6-4
280 lbs.
Flowery Branch, Ga. (Flowery Branch HS)

7:34 AM
Jackson McDonald
QB
5-11
190 lbs.

7:38 AM
Corey Holloway
RB
5-10
215 lbs.
Atlanta, Ga. (Eagle's Landing HS)

7:40 AM
Derrick Davis
DT
6-0
285 lbs.
Lexington, N.C. (Central Davidson HS)

7:57 AM
Nathan Dalton
OL
6-7
305 lbs.
East Flat Rock, N.C. (East Henderson HS)

8:39 AM
Ezavian Dunn
DT
6-2
315 lbs.
Carrboro, N.C. (Carrboro HS)

9:00 AM
Devonté Baker
CB
5-9
160 lbs.
Spring Lake, N.C. (Pine Forest HS)

9:14 AM
Tyler Junius
DT
6-0
290 lbs.
Winder, Ga. (Winder-Barrow HS)

9:15 AM
Breante Glover
LB
6-1
245 lbs.
LaGrange, Ga. (LaGrange HS)

9:30 AM
Tra Hardy
Athlete
5-11
175 lbs.
Vidalia, Ga. (Vidalia HS)

9:42 AM
Chase Stehling
OL
6-4
265 lbs.
Lincolnton, N.C. (North Lincoln HS)

11:10 AM
Alphaeus Newman, Jr.
S
6-1
190 lbs.
Ellenwood, Ga. (Cedar Grove HS)

11:52 AM
Keion Crossen
CB
5-10
160 lbs.
Jackson, N.C. (Northampton County HS)

Devonté Baker
CB - 5-9 - 160 lbs.
Spring Lake, N.C. (Pine Forest HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Played both wide receiver and defensive back as a prep ... Named All-Mid South Conference and a team MVP as a senior, guiding the Trojans to a 10-2 record and NCHSAA playoff berth ... Finished 2013 with 39 tackles as a senior ... Recorded five interceptions - tied for the fourth-most in Cumberland County - and returned three for touchdowns ... On offense, caught 18 passes for 198 yards and a touchdown while also rushing 21 times for 143 yards and three scores ... Also ran track as a prep ... High school coach was Bill Sochovka.
Personal: Is the son of Wayne Baker and Keisha Armstrong and stepmother, Sherry Baker ... Has a sister, Tamia Morgan.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Catawba, Wingate and Livingstone.

Keion Crossen
CB - 5-10 - 160 lbs.
Jackson, N.C. (Northampton County HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: A four-sport athlete who played quarterback and in the defensive secondary as a safety on the football gridiron ... Rushed for 1,752 yards and 20 touchdowns on offense and recorded a team-high seven interceptions as a senior... Recorded a 419 yard rushing performance with four touchdowns in a win over Granville Central ... Named N.C. Preps 1-A All-State as a defensive back ... Earned "best camper" title at the Steve Wilkes Defensive Back Camp ... Also ran track as a prep, finishing second in the state at the 1-A level in the 400-meter dash ... High school coach was George Privott.

Nathan Dalton
OL - 6-7 - 305 lbs.
East Flat Rock, N.C. (East Henderson HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Was named the Western North Carolina Athletic Conference lineman of the year ... Named to the Asheville Citizen-Times All-WNC team ... Graded out at 90-percent with 46 pancake blocks for East Henderson ... Selected to represent North Carolina in the Shrine Bowl ... Also played along the defensive front, finishing with 67 tackles including 29 solo stops ... Listed as a two-star prospect by Rivals.com.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over The Citadel, Gardner-Webb, Mercer, Presbyterian and a walk-on offer at N.C. State

Derrick Davis
DT - 6-0 - 285 lbs.
Lexington, N.C. (Central Davidson HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: A three-year varsity letter winner ... Was a two-time All-Mid-Piedmont 3-A Conference along the defensive line and three-time all-county ... Finished his senior season with 87 tackles including 37 solo stops and two sacks, often drawing double-team blocks ... Recorded 244 career tackles including 21 career sacks and forced five fumbles ... Holds the CDHS all-time tackles for loss record ... Won the Defensive Line MVP award at the National Underclassmen (NUC) five star camp held in Myrtle Beach, S.C., in March of 2013 ... Also participated in track & field as a prep, earning all-county, and all-state honors as a junior ... High school coach was Chad Tedder.
Personal: Is the son of Derrick Sr., and Bobbie Jo Davis.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Davidson, Harvard, North Carolina A&T, and a walk-on offer at North Carolina.

Ezavian Dunn
DT - 6-2 - 315 lbs.
Carrboro, N.C. (Carrboro HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Was a two-time All-Carolina 10 2A/1A Conference lineman ... In 2012, was named All-Area as an offensive lineman ... Also played basketball as a prep ... High school coach was Jason Tudryn.
Personal: Is the son of Beverly Thompson.

Breante Glover
LB - 6-1 - 245 lbs.
LaGrange, Ga. (LaGrange HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Was a three-year starter at linebacker ... Was selected to play in the 2013 D.I. Scott Coalition Bowl in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga. ... High school coach was Donnie Branch.
Personal: Full name is Breante Glover, but prefers to go by Tay ... Is the son of Carl Towns and Debra Dunson.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Chattanooga.

Tra Hardy
Athlete - 5-11 - 175 lbs.
Vidalia, Ga. (Vidalia HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: A solid, all-round performer who is a three-sport standout ... Was named to the AJC AA All-State team and the 2-AA Offensive Player of the Year ... Rushed for 1,672 yards and 24 touchdowns with 109 receiving yards and two scores ... Defensively, recorded an interception, returning it 90 yards for a touchdown against Atkinson County ... Started three years at cornerback ... Was also key in the Indians' special teams on kick returns, returning two kickoffs for touchdowns in earning first team All-Middle Georgia honors ... Scored six touchdowns in a single game against Metter on Sept. 27, 2013, compiling 183 rushing yards on 17 carries with a 55-yard TD reception ... Earned Enmark Player of the Week accolades during his final season ... Also played basketball and baseball as a prep ... High school coach was Lee Chomskis.
Personal: Full name is Travares Hardy, but prefers to go by Tra (pronounced Tray) ... Is the son of Gregg Hardy and Constance Durden.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Kennesaw State.

Corey Holloway
RB - 5-10 - 215 lbs.
Atlanta, Ga. (Eagle's Landing HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Was a four-year varsity letter winner in football ... Is a physical runner with good vision that amassed over 1,300 all-purpose yards including 1,093 on the ground en route to earning his team's MVP award as a senior, helping Eagle's Landing High record a school-record for wins ... Led the team with 10 rushing touchdowns as a part of first team All-Region honors at running back ... Recorded 200 receiving yards as a senior ... Also saw time on defense at linebacker over his final two seasons, tallying 44 tackles including 34 solo stops ... Earned the Good Citizenship Award from the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution ... As a junior, rushed for 1,449 yards and nine touchdowns ... High school coach was Joe Teknipp.
Personal: Full name is Corey Justin Holloway ... Is the son of G. Reginald and Donna J.L. Holloway ... Is one of four children in the Holloway family.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Georgia State, Kennesaw State, and Presbyterian.

Tyler Junius
DT - 6-0 - 290 lbs.
Winder, Ga. (Winder-Barrow HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Was a four-year starter on both the offensive and defensive line ... Earned first team all-region offensive line for 8-AAAAA in Georgia as a senior ... Finished his senior season with 44.5 tackles including 6.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks ... High school coach was David Wagner.
Personal: Is the son of Joseph and Melinda Junius ... Has a brother, Joey, whom with he played high school football.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Georgia State, Presbyterian and Point University.

Phillips Marshall
DT - 6-2 - 245 lbs.
Charleston, S.C. (Porter-Gaud HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Played along both the offensive and defensive line ... Named to the High School Sports Report (HSSR)-South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA) Class AAA All-State team ... Credited with 61 total tackles as a senior including 22 solo stops and 8.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks ... High school coach was Rick Reetz.
Personal: Is the son of Sarah Marshall.

Jordan Mathis
WR - 5-10 - 180 lbs.
Prior to Western Carolina: Three-year varsity letter winner who earned honorable mention all-conference accolades twice before garnering second team honors as a senior... Recorded 42 receptions for 662 yards and eight touchdowns for the Blue Devils, who finished 8-3 and earned a state playoff trip ... Added 74 rushing yards and a TD on the ground ... a two-sport standout including football and baseball ... As a senior, broke the school record for most career touchdowns with 23 ... Is expected to walk-on the Catamount baseball team as a sophomore ... Earned the Jackie Smallwood Award for baseball ... High school coach was Scott Burton.
Personal: Full name is Jordan Elliott Mathis ... Is the son of Mark and Melanie Mathis ... Has two younger siblings, Sydney and Christian ... Father played collegiate football at Liberty University before a six-year career in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Miami Dolphins.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Charlotte, Austin Peay and Chattanooga.

Jackson McDonald
QB - 5-11 - 190 lbs.
Prior to Western Carolina: A dual-threat quarterback who earned first team all-region for 8-AAAAA in Georgia as a senior ... As a junior, passed for 1,627 yards and 819 yards rushing while accounting for 32 touchdowns including 18 rushing and 17 through the air passing ... Listed as a two-star prospect by Rivals.com and 247sports ... Led Flowery Branch to a Region 8-AAAAA title in 2012 ... High school coach was Chris Griffin.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Army, Connecticut, James Madison and Georgia Southern.

Andrew Miles
OL - 6-4 - 280 lbs.
Prior to Western Carolina: Earned first team all-region offensive line for 8-AAAAA in Georgia as a senior ... Listed as a two-star prospect by Rivals.com ... A part of Flowery Branch High's Region 8-AAAAA title in 2012 ... Helped the Falcons average 33 points per game in 2012 ... Was a high school teammate with fellow WCU signee, Jackson McDonald ... High school coach was Chris Griffin.
Personal: Is the son of Chris Miles.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Air Force, Maryland, Georgia State and Wofford.

Alphaeus Newman, Jr.
S - 6-1 - 190 lbs.
Ellenwood, Ga. (Cedar Grove HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Was named All-State and All-Region in his final year ... Finished with 93 career tackles including 53 hits as a senior ... Tallied five career interceptions, four in his senior campaign ... On offense, caught 13 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown ... Also ran track as a prep ... High school coach was Jermaine Smith.
Personal: Full name is Alphaeus Newman, Jr., but goes by "A.J." .... Is the son of Alphaeus Sr., and Tamiska Newman ... Has an elder sibling, Jazmin ... Was a high school teammate of current Catamount, Tyson Dickson.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Air Force and The Citadel.

Tyran Reynolds
WR - 6-1 - 185 lbs.
Crystal River, Fla. (Crystal River HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: A versatile athlete who played quarterback, running back, wide receiver and corner back in high school ... Earned All-County honors as a wide receiver after recording 812 receiving yards and 10 receiving touchdowns as a senior ... Played in the 2014 National Underclassmen Combine (NUC) All-South Senior Game, catching a game-high five passes for 83 yards and a touchdown ... Named the West Offensive MVP in the NUC All-Star game ... Named Mr. Crystal River High ... Also played basketball as a prep ... High school coach was Nate Varnadore.
Personal: Is the son of Ryan Reynolds and Fatima Proctor with stepmother Meryl Reynolds ... Has two siblings, brother Bilial Jenkins and sister Sade Jenkins.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman, Jacksonville and Albany.

Chris Seaborn
S - 6-2 - 200 lbs.
Atlanta, Ga. (B.E.S.T. Academy)
Prior to Western Carolina: Played both sides of the ball as a prep including as a linebacker on defense with time at quarterback and wide receiver on offense ... Recorded 45 tackles including 28 solo stops with two interceptions as a senior ... On offense, scored six touchdowns including four receiving and two on the ground ... Finished with 16 receptions for 247 yards ... Earned first team offense All-Region honors in 4-AAA as a receiver in 2013 ... Also ran track as a prep ... High school coach was Josh Moore.
Personal: Is the son of Cathy Seaborn.

Kaleb Spry
OL - 6-2 - 285 lbs.
Kannapolis, N.C. (A.L. Brown HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: A two-year varsity letter winner who started at offensive center as a senior ... Was voted a team captain ... Listed as a two-star prospect by Rivals.com ... Ranks inside the Top 20 in his high school class academically ... Was honored by the Great American Rivalry Series at A.L. Brown's season-opener for having his team's highest GPA ... Also received his team's Academic Achievement award ... Also played basketball as a prep ... High school coach was Mike Newsome.
Note: Chose Western Carolina over Gardner-Webb.

Chase Stehling
OL - 6-4 - 265 lbs.
Lincolnton, N.C. (North Lincoln HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Played along the offensive and defensive line, as well as tight end during his high school career ... Also played basketball and participated in track & field in the weight events including shot put and discus ... High school coach was David Maness.
Personal: Full name is Nicolas Chase Stehling ... Is the son of Albert Stehling.

Kendall White
LB - 5-11 - 210 lbs.
Jacksonville, N.C. (White Oak HS)
Prior to Western Carolina: Played as a running back and safety at White Oak HS ... Recorded 27 total tackles including 21 solo stops in the fall of 2013 ... Credited with five pass breakups and one interception ... Rushed for 471 yards with 41 yards receiving during his final season ... Finished with seven total touchdowns as a senior including five rushing scores ... Also plays basketball as a prep ... High school football coach was Chad Ashley.
Personal: Is the son of Damon White.

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Mercer inks 20.

http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20140205vaxpyw

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Furman brings in 22.

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/201402057gd07o

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I had not realized this, but Furman's new WR Bradford Lemmons won the South Carolina 3A track championship in the 400, 200, and finished second in the 100 (10.92).

Not sure I can ever remember Furman having a player with that type speed.

SCPALADIN
February 5th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I had not realized this, but Furman's new WR Bradford Lemmons won the South Carolina 3A track championship in the 400, 200, and finished second in the 100 (10.92).

I saw that this morning...that's some serious speed. Pair him up with Hunter Branch in a few years and things could get very interesting.

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I saw that this morning...that's some serious speed. Pair him up with Hunter Branch in a few years and things could get very interesting.

I don't know if he can catch a cold, but he can certainly run.

Furman is finally at a point where they can start building some depth at these positions. Lemmons will join a deep receiving corps, allowing him the opportunity to develop his game.

For a few years Furman has been forced to rush freshman onto the field in key roles. For the first time in a while they may have the luxury of actually letting the talent and depth develop within a system.

catamount man
February 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
ETSU signs 46.
http://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2013-14/10326/torbush-announces-first-etsu-football-recruiting-class/

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 06:33 PM
ETSU signs 46.
http://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2013-14/10326/torbush-announces-first-etsu-football-recruiting-class/

Not sure even the coach can keep track of that many.

We need to get some ETSU fans over here.

SU DOG
February 5th, 2014, 07:53 PM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-class-rankings/

VMI 3rd????? Samford has 12 stars from 247 Sports with only 11 players signed. I don't want to take the time to run each team's list thru 247, but I did VMI's just out of curiosity and they have a total of 4 stars. Nothing against VMI at all, but HOW did they(southern pigskin) determine this ranking? Also, IMO, Furman has a MUCH better class than their ranking. This seems way out of line to me.

The Cats
February 5th, 2014, 08:16 PM

.......... but HOW did they(southern pigskin) determine this ranking? ..........

Darts, maybe?

chattownmocs
February 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM

VMI 3rd????? Samford has 12 stars from 247 Sports with only 11 players signed. I don't want to take the time to run each team's list thru 247, but I did VMI's just out of curiosity and they have a total of 4 stars. Nothing against VMI at all, but HOW did they(southern pigskin) determine this ranking? Also, IMO, Furman has a MUCH better class than their ranking. This seems way out of line to me.

The whole thing is embarrassing. Wofford is not number 1 in a recruiting ranking. They might be the best at recruiting for their system, or developing talent, but they don't beat people for recruits. Not even going to get into the rest.

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2014, 09:43 PM

I grow weary of that publication. Every year, same drivel.

It is almost as though the same writer copy and pastes every year. Furman was not "slow and steady." They had ten commitments back in August and September before many SoCon programs had one. I sometimes think they try the Skip Bayless approach of bad publicity is better than no publicity.

ETSUfan1
February 5th, 2014, 10:09 PM

You rang?

PaladinNation
February 5th, 2014, 10:15 PM

Don't quote me on this but I heard that Lemmons didn't attend any of the Rivals/Scout camps 'cause he was set to go to Ole Miss on a track scholar. I think Furman got a steal.

Also Furman had to beat off some big moves by some FBS teams for a few players… as has been mentioned Navy and SoMiss came hard after Bush and Graham had offers from several FBS schools late.

Coming back to the Pigskin Rankings… they have me scratching my head.
I would go:
Chatty-Furman
Chatt had a great class, so did Furman. I'll give Chatt the win on paper, but I think Furman's line signees are very underrated 7 two stars out of 8 signees.
Samford-Western
Mercer-Wofford
I think this is a tight group, Lamb recruited well, but so did Western. Wofford always gets quality kids that fit their system.
Samford small class but some very good looking players.

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2014, 06:53 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/feb/06/mocs-wrap-up-outstanding-signing-class/?sportscollege

chattownmocs
February 6th, 2014, 06:55 AM
http://www.nooga.com/165328/mocs-add-19-players-on-national-signing-day/

Smitty
February 6th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Mark Speir, Catamount Football Sign 19 on 2014 National Signing Day
10 defensive players, eight on offense and one athlete comprise incoming class
Cullowhee, N.C. - With the balance slightly shifted to the defensive side of the football, Western Carolina and head coach Mark Speir today announced the signing of 19 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to play football for the Catamounts beginning in the fall of 2014.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020514aaa.html

SU DOG
February 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I won't bore folks here with a long list, but I will give the highest ranked signees we had, and link for the others. Samford has lots returning from last year, so we only have 11 from yesterday. Of course, a few openings are left just in case someone later wants to xfer. There are some VERY good players remaining on the list, but here is some very shortened info on our 5 with highest profile:

QB xfer Michael Eubank - Already discussed on another thread, former 4**** ranked #8 in nation. Eubank is in school and was measured in for workouts at 6'6" and 246 lbs.

QB Devlin Hodges - A 3*** 24/7 Sports rated player and one of the top 5 QBs in the state this year.

RB Krondis Larry - Some say the fastest player coming out of the state of FL this year and a 3*** by 24/7. He is close to having world class speed. Larry is the state champ of Florida in the 400 meters and is ranked #9 in the nation(Hope he also runs track for us). Some FBS offers, but he was an early commit who stuck with Samford.

DL Xavier Forrest - A quick footed 305 lb DL rated a 2** by both Rivals and 24/7.

DE Ahmad Gooden - The #3 ranked DE in the state of Alabama this year, and a 3*** Scout and 24/7. Had offer from Georgia Tech.

Weep no tears for the Bulldogs-LOL! More info on these guys and the others at:
http://www.samfordsports.com/news/2014/2/5/FB_0205140257.aspx?path=football

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I won't bore folks here with a long list, but I will give the highest ranked signees we had, and link for the others. Samford has lots returning from last year, so we only have 11 from yesterday. Of course, a few openings are left just in case someone later wants to xfer. There are some VERY good players remaining on the list, but here is some very shortened info on our 5 with highest profile:

QB xfer Michael Eubank - Already discussed on another thread, former 4**** ranked #8 in nation. Eubank is in school and was measured in for workouts at 6'6" and 246 lbs.

QB Devlin Hodges - A 3*** 24/7 Sports rated player and one of the top 5 QBs in the state this year.

RB Krondis Larry - Some say the fastest player coming out of the state of FL this year and a 3*** by 24/7. He is close to having world class speed. Larry is the state champ of Florida in the 400 meters and is ranked #9 in the nation(Hope he also runs track for us). Some FBS offers, but he was an early commit who stuck with Samford.

DL Xavier Forrest - A quick footed 305 lb DL rated a 2** by both Rivals and 24/7.

DE Ahmad Gooden - The #3 ranked DE in the state of Alabama this year, and a 3*** Scout and 24/7. Had offer from Georgia Tech.

Weep no tears for the Bulldogs-LOL! More info on these guys and the others at:
http://www.samfordsports.com/news/2014/2/5/FB_0205140257.aspx?path=football

Looks like some good additions. Samford has to avoid Furman's problem in 2012. Return a bunch of players, but lose their best players on both sides of the ball. Not an easy task to replace your three best offensive players. Eubanks should certainly help, though.

PaladinNation
February 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I'm sure Paladin Fan will have a take on this… following SU Dog's lead, a take on the highlights of the Paladins 2014 class.

2 first team all state performers. Quarterback P.J. Blazejowski (St. Augustine, Fla./Bartram Trail H.S.) and offensive lineman Terrell Bush (Tuscaloosa, Ala./Tuscaloosa Academy). Blaze had zero stars (xsmugx) Bush is a two star - both had many other offers, Blaze (W&M, UNH, Mercer, and others), Bush (APP, ARKST, SoMiss, Navy).

A'lencio Graham (Lawrenceville, Ga./Flowery Branch H.S.) was rated as a three-star recruit by 24/7Sports.com, Graham had offers all over the place from Wofford to San Diego St.

Kealand Dirks rushed for 1,501 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2013, and Issac Garcia, ran for 1,231 yards and averaged 8.1 yards per carry this past fall en route to amassing a school career record 7,000 all-purpose yards… neither had stars (xsmugx)

Cobb County Touchdown Club Defensive Lineman of the Year Jaylan Reid is a two- star, he's compact, fast, and strong.

Furman signed four offensive linemen, and four defensive linemen, seven of them had two stars.

Players that could see the field the quickest… 6-4, 230 TE Kedar Bryant, and 6-4 241 TE Ajay Williams.

OrangeAndBlack
February 7th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Exciting times for Mercer! I can't wait for that opening SoCon game vs. Furman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fZQuTGA0b0

thirdgendin
February 7th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Great video and great first season! Welcome to the SoCon.

But I wonder how far out into the future Coach Dungy is looking...

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Great video and great first season! Welcome to the SoCon.

But I wonder how far out into the future Coach Dungy is looking...

I thought the same thing. Great video, but I'm not sure Mercer (or Dungy) perhaps realizes how hard it is to win a national title. Have to have a great season and then beat another four of the country's top teams.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I'm sure Paladin Fan will have a take on this… following SU Dog's lead, a take on the highlights of the Paladins 2014 class.

2 first team all state performers. Quarterback P.J. Blazejowski (St. Augustine, Fla./Bartram Trail H.S.) and offensive lineman Terrell Bush (Tuscaloosa, Ala./Tuscaloosa Academy). Blaze had zero stars (xsmugx) Bush is a two star - both had many other offers, Blaze (W&M, UNH, Mercer, and others), Bush (APP, ARKST, SoMiss, Navy).

A'lencio Graham (Lawrenceville, Ga./Flowery Branch H.S.) was rated as a three-star recruit by 24/7Sports.com, Graham had offers all over the place from Wofford to San Diego St.

Kealand Dirks rushed for 1,501 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2013, and Issac Garcia, ran for 1,231 yards and averaged 8.1 yards per carry this past fall en route to amassing a school career record 7,000 all-purpose yards… neither had stars (xsmugx)

Cobb County Touchdown Club Defensive Lineman of the Year Jaylan Reid is a two- star, he's compact, fast, and strong.

Furman signed four offensive linemen, and four defensive linemen, seven of them had two stars.

Players that could see the field the quickest… 6-4, 230 TE Kedar Bryant, and 6-4 241 TE Ajay Williams.

I agree that we could potentially see those two tightends the fastest. They are similar in size and frame to Larry Hedden when he played at Furman. When healthy, Hedden was a massive matchup problem for defenses (ask Georgia Southern). Now Furman can potentially put two such players on the field at the same time.

I also think some of the offensive linemen have an opportunity to work themselves into the rotation this season. Dozier graduated as not only Furman's starting left tackle, but the #1 backup at every line position but center. So, with his departure you more or less open the door for competition not only for a starting tackle, but also for backups at pretty much every position.

What is most beneficial is that for the first time in a couple of years, Furman is not relying on some of these guys to walk right into a starting position.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 7th, 2014, 02:37 PM

ETSU's class was beyond impressive. Torbush and his staff know how to recruit.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon...lass-rankings/ (http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-class-rankings/)

These folks had ETSU rated 9th. Really? I would like to know how they figure this as well.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM
ETSU's class was beyond impressive. Torbush and his staff know how to recruit.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon...lass-rankings/ (http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-class-rankings/)

These folks had ETSU rated 9th. Really? I would like to know how they figure this as well.

Many had already maligned this ranking, but I had not noticed the sentence "When a school brings in such a wealth of recruits, they will most likely see improvements in 2014 - even as they escalate to the Southern Conference."

Just in case you were wondering, a football team with 45 players substantially improves upon your team's chances of winning with zero players.

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Etsus class may have some good players but no way they signed 45 socon caliber players. I would say 9th is absolutely correct.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Etsus class may have some good players but no way they signed 45 socon caliber players. I would say 9th is absolutely correct.

ETSU, like Mercer, has one big recruiting advantage to offer - playing time.

OrangeAndBlack
February 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM

I'm really interested to see this kid play! That's some impressive speed.

chattownmocs
February 7th, 2014, 04:36 PM
ETSU, like Mercer, has one big recruiting advantage to offer - playing time.

They don't even play this year. Plus you have 46 guys in your same class to compete with. Regardless I know for a fact that ETSU signed a lot of guys that would not be playing D1 otherwise.

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM
They don't even play this year. Plus you have 46 guys in your same class to compete with. Regardless I know for a fact that ETSU signed a lot of guys that would not be playing D1 otherwise.

Right, I think Mercer is a good comparison. Mercer had one, maybe two classes, that came in before they played a snap of football. A lot of those guys are non-schoarlship players (and I'm sure more than a few are on the roster chopping block).

PaladinFan
February 7th, 2014, 04:59 PM
I'm really interested to see this kid play! That's some impressive speed.

Supposed to be pretty raw player. Kind of a low risk high reward move for Furman. Furman has one of the better receiving corps in the SoCon, so allowing a kid some time to develop might turn him into a pretty good receiver.

Just googled his name and came up with this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8E5Wxi7PeU). Lemmons highlight film makes it a little difficult to gauge how fast he might actually be, but I think this clip (if you can get past the overly dramatic announcers) pretty well shows the kid can fly.

citdog
February 8th, 2014, 04:00 AM
The Citadel's Class

2014 Citadel Football Recruiting Class

Shon Belton, QB, 5'11", 187, Lugoff, S.C./Lugoff-Elgin
Shon Belton Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83v3B1bbV4)Earned varsity letters in football, baseball, basketball and track & field ... rushed for 1,278 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior ... added another 726 passing yards and four touchdowns through the air ... accumulated 2,635 all-purpose yards in 2013 ... named all-county player of the year and all-county for junior and senior years ... a member of the 2010 region 6 4-A championship team ... born Oct. 23, 1995 in Columbia, S.C. ... son of Julie Gibson ... plans on majoring in health, exercise and sport science.Reggie Benjamin, DB, 5'9", 190, Palm Bay, Fla./Palm Bay
Reggie Benjamin Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52VmEyIUXzA)Earned two varsity letters in football and track and field ... tallied 107 tackles, five interception, five pass breakups and one fumble recovery at the linebacker position during his senior season ... scored seven offensive touchdowns in 2013, four in one game against Rockledge High School ... named to the FACA All-District Offense, Space Coast All-Star Team ... in all-star game he made six tackles and picked off two passes ... helped lead his team to the playoffs where it was district runner-up ... born on Nov. 22, 1995 in Orlando, Fla. ... son of Randy Benjamin and Regina Thomas ... plans to major in business administration.Derrick Freeland, OL, 6'1", 245, Charlotte, N.C./Mallard Creek
Derrick Freeland Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfVY0g6ixZc)Three-year letterwinner in football, wrestling and track and field ... three-year team captain of the football team ... also named team captain of the track and field team ... ranked top offensive lineman in Mecklenburg County in 2013 ... helped lead his team to a 4AA State Championship title ... became his school's first heavyweight champion wrestler in 2011 with a 13-4 record ... a member of the National Honor Society ... born on Jan. 19, 1996.Jauveer Hammond, Slot Back, 5'8", 170, Johnston, S.C./Strom ThurmondJauveer Hammond Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg6WcU-WoZc)Selected to the play in the North-South All-Star game as well as the Border Bowl ... completed 136 passes for 1,745 yards and 14 touchdowns while rushing 201 times for 1,341 yards and 11 more scores ... both yardage numbers among the top five in the area ... named to the All-Aiken Standard first team.Tristan Harkleroad, OL, 6'2", 275, Savannah, Ga./Benedictine Military School
Tristan Harkleroad Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJuo3g3-I6E)Earned three letters in football and one in baseball ... NUC All-American Senior Bowl participant ... named to the ESPN Coastal first team, first-team all-state, first-team all-region and first team all-city during senior season ... second team all-region honorable mention in 2012 ... a member of the honor roll all four years and high honor roll during junior and senior years ... born on Jan. 10, 1996 in Savannah, Ga. ... son of Marion and Virginia Harkelroad ... plans on majoring in business administration.Russell Hubbs, LB, 6'1", 222, Rock Hill, S.C./NorthwesternRussell Hubbs Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VA8qFgYoUg)Three-year letterwinner for the football team ... voted team captain for his junior and senior seasons ... accumulated 125 tackles, four tackles for loss, one sack, two forced fumbles and five pass breakups during his senior year ... all-state, all-area and all-region honors in 2013 ... made 122 tackles, seven sacks, 17 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 2012 ... tabbed as the team's defensive MVP for junior season ... all-area and all-region honors in 2012 ... received a 3.5 or higher GPA all three years to earn academic excellence ... born Feb. 3, 1996 in Stony Brook, N.Y. ... son of Eric Hubbs and Jamie Raines ... plans to major in health, exercise and sport science.Jonathan King, DL, 6'1", 258, Statesville, N.C./South Iradell
Jonathan King Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJCNsrV2XvI)Earned varsity letters in football, wrestling and track and field ... named team captain for senior season ... earned all-conference in football for junior and senior seasons ... averaged over 70 tackles per year ... helped lead his team to the 2012 2AA State Championship ... made the all-county and all-region teams in 2012 and 13 for his performance in the shot put ... a member of the National Society of High School Scholars ... 4.2 GPA ... National Beta Club ... born on Aug. 10, 1996 in Statesville, N.C. ... son of Leonard and Jacqueline King ... plans on majoring in biology.Jalen Lampkin, QB, 5'10", 176, Augusta, Ga./WestsideJalen Lampkin Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e934Tiv1QuM)Lettered four years in football and baseball ... passed for 910 yards and rushed for 800 with 20 total touchdowns (eight passing, 12 rushing) during his senior season ... named all-region offensive player of the year and tabbed as an all-area athlete in 2013 ... threw for 720 yards, rushed for 233 and scored 15 total touchdowns (eight passing, seven rushing) during his junior campaign ... tabbed as an all-region quarterback for his performance in 2012 ... four-year starting centerfielder and pitcher for his school's baseball team ... two-time first-team all-region baseball player ... played baseball under legendary coach Gerald Barnes ... born Nov. 9, 1995 in Augusta, Ga. ... son of Audrey and Bruce Lampkin ... plans to major in sports management.Sydney Martin, OL, 6'2", 270, Lyman, S.C./Byrnes
Sydney Martin Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw-FwsBSnNE)Four-year letterwinner for the football team ... named to all-county, all-region and all-area teams for senior season ... named to the first team all-region in 2012, helping his team win the 4A State Championship ... a member of the 2011 squad which won the 4A State Championship ... coached by Citadel Hall of Famer Lance Hansen, who played offensive line for the Bulldogs from 1989-92 ... born on July 20, 1995 in Greenville, S.C. ... son of Steve and Shawn Martin ... plans on majoring in mechanical engineering.Josh Massey, DB, 5'11", 190, Rock Hill, S.C./South Pointe
Josh Massey Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evm1-lyrnAw)Four-year letterman in football and five-year letterwinner in baseball ... selected to play in the North-South All-Star Game, as well as being named to the USA Today All-USA South Carolina team ... recorded 89 tackles, five interceptions, four sacks, four forced fumbles, nine pass breakups and nine tackles for loss while scoring three defensive touchdowns during his senior season ... named to the 2013 all-region team and All-Observer team ... made 138 tackles, two forced fumbles, nine sacks, two interceptions, 13 tackles for loss and one blocked punt during his junior season ... helped lead his team to the 2011 South Carolina AAA State Championship title, recording 53 tackles, five pass breakups and a forced fumble as a sophomore ... Junior Marshall (top 10% of graduating class) ... National Beta Club and National Honor Society ... father, Cookie Massey, played baseball and football for the University of North Carolina ... born on Sept. 22, 1995 in Rock Hill, S.C. ... son of Cookie and Nicole Massey ... plans on majoring in business administration.Shy Phillips, DB, 6'0", 165, Hartsville, S.C./Hartsville
Shy Phillips Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9kQFG_VM64)Earned varsity letters in football, baseball and basketball ... participated in the 2013 Shrine Bowl ... named to all-state and all-conference teams during his junior and senior seasons ... accumulated 40 tackles, two tackles for loss and three interceptions in 2013 ... tallied 62 tackles, two tackles for loss and nine interception (two returned for touchdowns) in 2012 ... helped his team win the 2012 state championship and regional titles in 2010, 12 and 13 ... born Sept. 19, 1995 in Hartsville, S.C. ... son of Brent Phillips and Quandra Brown ... plans on majoring in political science.Myles Pierce, LB, 6'0", 227, Daphne, Ala./DaphneMyles Pierce Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvxyv-kU8KI)Four-year letterwinner for the football team ... recorded 111 tackles and forced two fumbles during his senior season, earning him all-metro and all-county honors ... made 128 tackles and fourced three fumbles in 2012 ... helped lead his team to a 6A state championship in 2010 ... a member of the National Honor Society ... son of Michael and Daphne Pierce ... plans to major in business administration.Logan Robinson, DL, 6'4", 225, Arlington, Va./Yorktown
Logan Robinson Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy1-c7x32Vs&list=UUgwFyfjJKgosrT5LGA7rdKA&feature=c4-overview)Played four years of football, lettering twice ... earned second-team all-conference honors (Liberty Conference) during his senior season ... a member of the football team which was National District Champions in 2010, 11 and 12 ... born Aug. 28, 1996 in Raleigh, N.C. ... son of Robin Robinson ... intended major is undecided.Matt Thompson II, Slot Back, 5'11", 205, Morristown, Tenn./Morristown East
Matt Thompson Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VkhONHECc)Earned four varsity letters in football and track and field and three in basketball ... all-time leading rusher at his high school with 3,904 yards and 258 career points ... rushed for 1,503 yards and 25 touchdowns during his senior campaign ... averaged 7.2 yards per carry ... as a returner, averaged 23 yards per kickoff return and 20.3 yards per punt return ... named to first team all-state, all-conference and all-region for for senior season ... 2013 Lakeway Player of the Year ... 2013 NVC MVP running back ... rushed for 803 yards to go along with 329 receiving in 2012 ... named Lakeway Athlete of the Year in 2012 ... tabbed with first team all-conference and all-region honors ... during his sophomore year, rushed for 798 yards and added 230 receiving yards and 370 through the air ... 2011 first team all-conference and all-region ... gained 800 yards on the ground during his freshman season, earning him first team all-conference and all-region honors ... added 340 passing yards and 250 receiving in 2010 ... earned the Who's Who Award ... born on Nov. 30, 1995 in Morristown, Tenn. ... son of Olivia Presley and Matt Thompson I ... plans on majoring in business administration.Houston Tyler, DL, 6'0", 260, Oklahoma City, Okla./Southmoore
Houston Tyler Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMsyewR7MzM)Earned two letters in football and track and field ... named the District 6-A4 Lineman of the Year in 2013 ... tabbed as all-state, all-city, all-metro and all-big city teams during his senior year ... named offensive MVP in 2012 and 2013 ... earned defensive player of the year honors during his freshman campaign ... carried a 4.0 GPA with excellence in math, physics and history ... born May 5, 1995 in Moore, Okla. ... son of Shane and Gina Tyler ... plans to major in engineering.Quinlan Washington, Slot Back, 6'0", 185, Gainesville, Fla./BuckholzQuinlan Washington Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Ejd9NLZZc)Earned varsity letters in both football and baseball … named offensive MVP for his performance during his junior and senior seasons … first team all-area wide receiver … earned the scholar athlete award for football and baseball … brother was a first round draft pick by the Tampa Bay Rays.Tre'von White, DE, 6'5", 200, Pelham, Ga./PelhamTre'von White Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnmb_bo_AOo)Earned four varsity letters in football and basketball and one in track and field ... earned all-region honors during sophomore, junior and senior seasons ... honored with the team's football academic award ... basketball team's leading rebounder for the 2011-12 season ... born June 28, 1996 in Thomasville, Ga. ... son of Jesse David III and Carolyn Elaine White ... plans on majoring in sports medicine.

AppMan
February 8th, 2014, 04:01 PM

Western beat out new guy ETSU to avoid last place in the SoCon. Some things just never change....

chattownmocs
February 8th, 2014, 08:54 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/feb/07/utc-coaches-like-expectant-then-proud-fathers-on/?sportscollege

Fantastic read on recruiting.

FUBeAR
February 9th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Right, I think Mercer is a good comparison. Mercer had one, maybe two classes, that came in before they played a snap of football. A lot of those guys are non-schoarlship players (and I'm sure more than a few are on the roster chopping block).

Just in the interest of accuracy:

* The 2014 class was Mercer's 3rd Recruiting Class, in addition to a total of 8 players that have enrolled mid-year after the 2012 Practice Season & the 2103 Playing-Real-Games Season
* All players prior to this 2014 class came to Mercer without Athletic Scholarships with the possible exception of this year's 4 mid-year players. They may have rec'd Athletic money for Spring Term. I don't know. They will all be Scholarship Players this Fall
* 18 players, currently on the Mercer team have transferred in from other Schools. Many, perhaps, most of these were scholarship players at their prior schools
* About 108 players came in with the 1st class of 2012. 46 of those remain on the team
* About 35 players came in with the 2nd class of 2013. 31 of those remain on the team
* Mercer has NEVER cut/"chopped" a player from the roster for on-the-field lack of ability/performance. Coach Lamb told me in 2012 that he would not do that and he has been able to live up to that commitment so far
* I suspect we will see about 6-8 from the incoming class of 2012 & 4-6 from the incoming class of 2013 leave the team during/after Spring Practice, which will bring the roster to somewhat normal/manageable numbers without cutting anyone. There still may be a few that will not be invited to summer camp due to NCAA rules, but I certainly don't think Mercer will see the need for roster chopping.

Tribe4SF
February 10th, 2014, 07:23 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/feb/07/utc-coaches-like-expectant-then-proud-fathers-on/?sportscollege

Interesting anecdote about Rodgers-Cromartie calling a UTC recruit to talk about Tenn. St. Correct me if I'm wrong but that would appear to be an NCAA violation with a person of athletic interest directly involved in recruiting. I can't call a recruit, and neither can Rodgers-Cromartie.

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Just in the interest of accuracy:

* The 2014 class was Mercer's 3rd Recruiting Class, in addition to a total of 8 players that have enrolled mid-year after the 2012 Practice Season & the 2103 Playing-Real-Games Season
* All players prior to this 2014 class came to Mercer without Athletic Scholarships with the possible exception of this year's 4 mid-year players. They may have rec'd Athletic money for Spring Term. I don't know. They will all be Scholarship Players this Fall
* 18 players, currently on the Mercer team have transferred in from other Schools. Many, perhaps, most of these were scholarship players at their prior schools
* About 108 players came in with the 1st class of 2012. 46 of those remain on the team
* About 35 players came in with the 2nd class of 2013. 31 of those remain on the team
* Mercer has NEVER cut/"chopped" a player from the roster for on-the-field lack of ability/performance. Coach Lamb told me in 2012 that he would not do that and he has been able to live up to that commitment so far
* I suspect we will see about 6-8 from the incoming class of 2012 & 4-6 from the incoming class of 2013 leave the team during/after Spring Practice, which will bring the roster to somewhat normal/manageable numbers without cutting anyone. There still may be a few that will not be invited to summer camp due to NCAA rules, but I certainly don't think Mercer will see the need for roster chopping.

Perhaps chopping block was the incorrect term. What you described is more accurate. Lamb at his time at Furman was always reluctant to cut anyone. My general point is that Mercer had a bunch of non-scholarship players, and now they are bringing on scholarship players. The roster, I imagine, will undergo a stark transformation.

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2014, 07:31 AM

I'm sure most fans do not know the half of it. Some of these coaches spend the better part of a year or two pursuing these athletes. I'm sure when one strays from the flock that was expected to be there on signing day, it is a punch in the gut.

PaladinNation
February 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Furman adds one more…

Andy Schumpert, a 6-foot-4, 180-pound product of Brentwood, Tenn., caught 80 passes for 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Brentwood (6A) High School, where he earned all-district honors in 2013. He played on a pair of state quarterfinal playoff teams, and a senior caught seven passes for 100 yards and a touchdown in a 35-31 win over eventual state runner-up Hendersonville.

A star on the basketball court, he earned Williamson County Player of the Year, district MVP, and all-state tournament team honors after helping Brentwood to a 30-5 season and appearance in the state semifinals. This year he helped Brentwood post the best start (23-1) in school history en route to a 25-2 regular season.
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/20140210msgswu

hudl video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/462395/highlights/69386384

The Cats
February 13th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Western beat out new guy ETSU to avoid last place in the SoCon. Some things just never change....

Neither do App State fans...

chattownmocs
February 14th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Chattanooga signed a bunch of momma's boys.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/feb/14/utc-coaches-built-trust-with-recruits-moms/?sportscollege

CID1990
February 14th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Neither do App State fans...

The SunBlet BBS must be hoppin right about now I guess