PDA

View Full Version : Liberty vs Gardner-Webb

OLDLCOACH111
October 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM
What Are your thoughts........
I think it will be a good down to the wire game.

Tribe4SF
October 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Liberty is vastly improved over last year. Much more physical. If Jennings can't play, they are not nearly as formidable, but still very much capable of beating G-W.

PAmedic
October 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Dear Lord, we've got to win this one. We're at home, so we should.

Certainly have a capable offense, defense plays solidly week after week- we just have a young team that needs to learn how to win.

Stupid penalties and horrendous special teams (read: PLACEKICKING) are killing us at this point.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:23 AM
This thread isn't getting much attention. I can honestly say I don't know much about either team. Anyone care to shed some light on what to expect from each team?

OLDLCOACH111
October 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Well, Gardner-Webb comes into the contest at 4-2, they are a pretty young team made up of mostly of sophmores. They have a pretty good offense. the recieving core is ranked # 3 nationally. The defense Is shakey sometimes but they get the job done. They only lost to app state and ut martin who is the shock of 1aa football, both currently ranked in top 20 if not 15 in the nation.
Liberty come in 3-3 and is a much better team from a year ago. They are loaded with transfers and an impact tailback. They have a new coach from virgina tech and are gaining respect. They have a good quarterback and an athletic o line.
Both teams are hungry for a conference championship. Liberty is yet to win one and Gardner Webb won back to back championships two years ago.
Thats about all I know....
Anyone else have any details???

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM
So on paper, going into the game, Gardner-Webb should be favored?

SuperJon
October 17th, 2006, 09:33 AM
They are loaded with transfers and an impact tailback. They have a new coach from virgina tech and are gaining respect. They have a good quarterback and an athletic o line.

I'd look over that if I were you. First off, it was four transfers. Second, the coach is from UVA. Third, we switch quarterbacks like I switch underwear so you can't say we have a good quarterback.

Jennings is in the tops of I-AA in terms of rushing, a lot of that coming in the three cupcake wins. However, on Saturday against W&M he had 124 through the first half and had one run in the second half to bring him to 186 for the game. He was hurt on the 62 yard run but should play this week. He was on the sideline doing some cutting and things like that on Saturday but was left out as a precaution for the conference season. Zach Terrell, who also plays quarterback, came into the game at the end of the 4th quarter at tailback. Freshman Terron Lawrence also played a good amount at tailback after Jennings.

Place kicking is horrible. Put it this way, there are at least 3 groups on Facebook for a new kicker and the Christian/Community Service office has put signups in their office for kickers. It's bad. Everyone puts their head down whenever we have to kick a field goal or extra point.

Our defense is one of the tops in the country in terms of scoring. Once again, a lot of that was in the three wins but we held Towson to 10 points and W&M to 14. We're hoping senior DE Jason Horn will be back this week but no one really knows right now.

Liberty should win. However, they play the games for a reason.

SuperJon
October 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
So on paper, going into the game, Gardner-Webb should be favored?

No, most people are picking LU.

CSU BUCS
October 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM
No, most people are picking LU.
Most LU people...........haha

I’m not big on predictions, especially when the teams are this close. Could be either team coming out on top. a lot of it has to do with how LU responds to last weeks one point loss.

SuperJon
October 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Have you looked at the Coastal board? Every person on that board has picked LU.

CSU BUCS
October 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Have you looked at the Coastal board? Every person on that board has picked LU.
I was being Sarcastic.

Sly Fox
October 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I think most fans regardless of affiliation believe this will be a good ballgame. Neither team is coming off a quality performance Saturday so who knows who will show up ready to play on saturday at Williams Stadium?

And we should have about 10-11k for the game after 15-thouand for homecoming this past Saturday.

SuperJon
October 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Great, Jennings probably isn't playing. Lovely.

justsaying
October 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I’m sorry to say it but that is a big blow to Liberty's Offense. They look to be somewhat one dimensional at running the ball anyways, so not having their impact tailback does not look to good for them.
Gardner Webb 28
Liberty 20

CoastalFan2005
October 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I dunno...I think that even if Jennings doesn't play, LU has a good chance. I pick them to win by (SuperJon, you're gonna hate me for this), a FG. LU 20, GWU 17.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the Flames are the most improved team in the Big South this season. :nod:

SuperJon
October 17th, 2006, 09:55 PM
No way we win by a field goal. It'll be a touchdown or nothing.

If Jennings doesn't go we still have Terrell and Lawrence who rushed for something like 75 yards after Jennings went out of the game. He's listed as questionable now.

Dabnus Brickey
October 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Wow...I just don't see the fuss. On the CCU board I picked Liberty with Jennings and GWU without him.

SuperJon
October 18th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Dabnus, I posted that before it came out that Jennings probably wasn't playing. I had to go to work so I haven't posted since I found out he was on the doubtful side of questionable. If he doesn't play, I'm saying it's a push and no one has an advantage.

MarkCCU
October 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
LIberty to win by 10

Dabnus Brickey
October 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I was talking about the general atmosphere of people picking. Besides, its apparent that Jennings is an impact player in that game. It should be a dandy.

Can anyone tell me the game time and radio station? I'm going to check it out via the internet.

SuperJon
October 18th, 2006, 05:34 PM
1pm game. Check libertyflames.com, it'll be up there.

Dabnus Brickey
October 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
thanks

IaaScribe
October 18th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Jennings is going to play Saturday.

Sly Fox
October 19th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Gracias, Scribe.

And for those wondering, FlameFans is down tonight for some technical upgrades.

IaaScribe
October 19th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I've got a brief story in tomorrow's paper about the situation, Sly.

GeauxLions94
October 19th, 2006, 12:46 AM
From someone who's seen Webb play ... :twocents:

Great receiving corp (Flagler is a legit player) and pretty good QB in Campbell. RB's are thin, but the freshman Montgomery has some pretty good speed.

Defensively, Mario E. Brown was a beast against us. Brian Johnston (DE) was in on a lot of plays against us as well.

If the games in Boiling Springs, then it's ... GWU 28, Liberty 24
But the game's in Lynchburg, so it's ....

GWU 24, Liberty 23 :rotateh:

Sly Fox
October 19th, 2006, 12:48 AM
That sig is uncalled for, geaux. :bang:

I'm looking forward to reading good news, scribe.

justsaying
October 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Good news, but is that smart? You guys got coastal the following week and he could risk hurting it worse. High ankle injurys are nagging.

IaaScribe
October 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
justsaying: Jennings did a lot of work at practice yesterday trying to test the strength of the ankle. He was pulling big weight sleds, trying to put weight on the ankle to see how he'd respond, and he seemed to be walking fine on it. I guarantee the training staff won't let him go out there if there's a chance he'd do longterm damage to the ankle.

He's also a very big dude, so that's helping him in this situation. Rashad is extremely strong in the legs (weighs about 240-245).

Not sure if there are many VT fans out there, but I compare the situation to several years ago when Michael Vick got a high ankle sprain in the game the week before a showdown at Miami. Vick did so much cutting and moving in the open field that it was impossible for him to get ready in time. Rashad's a much more straight-forward, plow-ahead runner, much more so than being a cut and move guy.

Knowing Rocco, I assume if the ankle swells up in any way, he'll sit Rashad. But when you've only got four conference games, I can see where the kid would be itching to play.

I'll be back out there today to talk to Rashad, so I'll let you know if there's anything new.

Dabnus Brickey
October 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
If its close, I can't imagine him not playing. This is a conference game.

Sly Fox
October 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Conference game indeed. Its our first under the new staff and they want to send a message. Even if Rashad only plays a limited number of snaps he can affect defensive strategies.

goasu984Life
October 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
It depends on what Jerry Falwell says before the game.

I remember a story going around that one year Liberty was 7-3 and Appalachian was 7-3. Winner of the games goes to the playoffs. Falwell gets on he Liberty bus before the game and tells the team that they are going to win because God is on their side. The Flames won the game. If he gives the God is on our side speech, then the Flames will win.

Of course, they will probably win anyway.

LU -- 30
GWU -- 21

Sly Fox
October 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Your story would be better if there were more truth in it. :D Jerry is not above pep talks but I sincerely doubt he said that with a straight face. Obviously we didn't got ot the playoffs one way or the other. We're still trying.

We believe God is on everybody's side ... we just acknowledge it more.

Dabnus Brickey
October 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Would that make him a Pope like figure? Imagine him standing on a pedestal wearing a Liberty jumpsuit...

MarkCCU
October 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
It depends on what Jerry Falwell says before the game.

I remember a story going around that one year Liberty was 7-3 and Appalachian was 7-3. Winner of the games goes to the playoffs. Falwell gets on he Liberty bus before the game and tells the team that they are going to win because God is on their side. The Flames won the game. If he gives the God is on our side speech, then the Flames will win.

Of course, they will probably win anyway.

LU -- 30
GWU -- 21

Religion is a mysterious fig. But that's an interesting story, any clue when that was?

OLDLCOACH111
October 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Gardner webb wins thriller

GW 27
LU 24

justsaying
October 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
I’m sorry to say it but that is a big blow to Liberty's Offense. They look to be somewhat one dimensional at running the ball anyways, so not having their impact tailback does not look to good for them.
Gardner Webb 28
Liberty 20

Im Good.....

SuperJon
October 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM
Actually, you're not. Zach Terrell, who has only played running back at the end of the W&M game, ran for 175 yards. Rashad being out had absolutely no impact on this game. Our pass defense having more holes in it than the US/Mexico border is what cost the game.