PDA

View Full Version : SWAC-Ivy bowl?

UMass922
October 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know if this idea has been tossed around on here before, but the thought came to me, and I figured I'd see what others think. Since the SWAC and the Ivy do not presently send their champions to the I-AA playoffs, how about if the champs of each conference squared off in an annual bowl game? I'm completely ignorant of what logistics/roadblocks might be involved, but I think it could be a great, unique event for college football. It would be an enormously marketable game, too--much moreso than your average sparsely-attended, mid-December, .com bowl game between North Texas and Toledo. There would be a lot of history, tradition, and pageantry on display in a bowl game between, say, Harvard and Grambling. Schools such as those have greater visibility and name-recognition among college football fans than a lot of I-A schools, so I think such a game would be a good sell. What do others here think (especially SWAC and Ivy fans)?

October 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think the SWAC Champ game (they are the only conference with one) is a postseason event so another bowl would not be possible.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Less than zero. Remember, the Ancient Eight held on to freshman teams into the 1990's and would probably still be playing a nine game schedule if the powers that be willed it.

If they're not interested in the playoffs, a game with Hampton or FAMU isn't on the radar screen. Has any Ivy even played a HBCU in the regular season?

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Now that would be a very interesting bowl game. I thought the Ivy league stayed out of the playoffs due to academics. The post season conflicts with finals. After all, the Ivy league is first and foremost an academic comes first league.

October 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
... If they're not interested in the playoffs, a game with Hampton or FAMU isn't on the radar screen. Has any Ivy even played a HBCU in the regular season?Hampton and FAMU are in the playoff playing MEAC. :) As we all know, the MEAC is very different from the SWAC.

Interesting Ivy v. HBCU question!

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Correction noted.

UMass922
October 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I think the SWAC Champ game (they are the only conference with one) is a postseason event so another bowl would not be possible.

Yeah, that's true. Is it because I-AA has an NCAA-sanctioned playoff that teams are prohibited from participating in two postseason events--even if neither of those events is the NCAA playoffs? After all, several I-A conferences have championship games and send those championship-game teams to bowl games. I know that I-A and I-AA are different beasts, but I would hope that the NCAA would recognize the virtue of a SWAC-Ivy bowl game (should one be proposed) and make some sort of exception.

UMass922
October 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Has any Ivy even played a HBCU in the regular season?

Probably not very often, if ever. And this, I think, would be precisely one of the virtues of such a game. After all, one of the exciting, compelling things about bowl games at the I-A level is that they give us matchups that we don't often see in the regular season--every bowl season it seems you get at least a game or two between storied programs that have rarely or never played each other.

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Less than zero. Remember, the Ancient Eight held on to freshman teams into the 1990's and would probably still be playing a nine game schedule if the powers that be willed it.

If they're not interested in the playoffs, a game with Hampton or FAMU isn't on the radar screen. Has any Ivy even played a HBCU in the regular season?

Yale played Morgan State in the '80's, I believe. Aren't they a HBCU.

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Now that would be a very interesting bowl game. I thought the Ivy league stayed out of the playoffs due to academics. The post season conflicts with finals. After all, the Ivy league is first and foremost an academic comes first league.

That's just a coverup. They work their way around postseason play in every other sport.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM
SWAC should just toss the title game...

I mean, each team in the SWAC currently plays each other as is so a champion is decided. Okay, we may have co-champs if three teams tie and they all went 1-1 against each other, but atleast this would allow the SWAC (if they move some games earlier in the season) to play in a 'Heritage Bowl'-like game, the playoffs or whatever the heck they wanna...

HIU 93
October 16th, 2006, 10:58 PM

Not sure, but we have Princeton next year. His question, however, was a SWAC vs. Ivy bowl, and we and FAMU are MEAC. Personally, I'd pay to see Harvard vs. Grambling. Seeing as both teams have HUGE travelling fan bases, I'd love to see it as a neutral field game- GA Dome maybe? ESPN 2?

HIU 93
October 16th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Yes. MSU is. They are a member of the MEAC.

TxSt02
October 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
hmm... class vs. well nevermind...

HIU 93
October 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
hmm... class vs. well nevermind...

I wouldn't call the Ivy "well nevermind". They have great institutions and a great athletic tradition. Why would they be "well nevermind"?:rolleyes: :cool:

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I think a Harvard-Grambling or Harvard-Southern or Harvard-Hampton game would be fun. Any of them would beat the hell out of Holy Cross for a season opener. But we're locked into "all PL, all the time" for our nonconference games for several years to come.

MplsBison
October 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Curious, does the Ivy League have a post season tournament/meet to dertermine who will get the IL AQ in any sport?

I know men's bball doesn't because the TV shows always make fun of the Ivy for not having one when all 31 other conferences do.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Curious, does the Ivy League have a post season tournament/meet to dertermine who will get the IL AQ in any sport?

I know men's bball doesn't because the TV shows always make fun of the Ivy for not having one when all 31 other conferences do.

I believe the Ivy baseball teams have a playoff between the winners of the two league divisions to determine which one goes to the college WS.There is no post-season hoops tournament. The Ivy schools that have ice hockey teams are in the ECAC tournament.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think a Harvard-Grambling or Harvard-Southern or Harvard-Hampton game would be fun. Any of them would beat the hell out of Holy Cross for a season opener. But we're locked into "all PL, all the time" for our nonconference games for several years to come.

You know, Ivytalk, an 11th game would sure help vary the schedule. How can our schools be so progressive in some ways and yet so regressive when it comes to sports (especially football).:confused:

jstate83
October 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM
SWAC should just toss the title game...

I mean, each team in the SWAC currently plays each other as is so a champion is decided. Okay, we may have co-champs if three teams tie and they all went 1-1 against each other, but atleast this would allow the SWAC (if they move some games earlier in the season) to play in a 'Heritage Bowl'-like game, the playoffs or whatever the heck they wanna...

9 game mandate is no mo!!:D

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM
You know, Ivytalk, an 11th game would sure help vary the schedule. How can our schools be so progressive in some ways and yet so regressive when it comes to sports (especially football).:confused:

Excellent point!:nod: And when they're "progressive," they're usually up to no good!:twocents:

Go...gate
October 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Yale played and hammered Morgan State in 1984. I think it was 41-0.

Princeton is playing Hampton next year.

mikebigg
October 19th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I think a game would have more of an appeal if it was a regular season game...or (I must admit) a part of a playoff scenario. I think the Ivy's have developed a non-postseason mindset and their fans/student body moves to other sports after conclusion of their regular season.

It's possible that the SWAC will one day participate in the IAA playoffs
(even possibly get the autobid back) if the powers that be would negotiate and discuss working around the BC and TDC football conflict.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2006, 08:08 PM
It's possible that the SWAC will one day participate in the IAA playoffs(even possibly get the autobid back) if the powers that be would negotiate and discuss working around the BC and TDC football conflict.

If the SWAC dropped everything and said, we'll do the playoffs, the SWAC should have to earn the autobid. They're down in the lower portion of the GPI and have not got the OOC wins (TnSt is just about it) to prove their worth. SWAC would have to make a commitment to getting their teams up to par with I-AA and making a commitment to more OOC games to challenge those who would provide a good base for SWAC to prove themselves...

October 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM
... It's possible that the SWAC will one day participate in the IAA playoffs (even possibly get the autobid back)...There you go again.:p When did the SWAC ever have an AQ?

Mr. Tiger
October 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
If the SWAC dropped everything and said, we'll do the playoffs, the SWAC should have to earn the autobid. They're down in the lower portion of the GPI and have not got the OOC wins (TnSt is just about it) to prove their worth. SWAC would have to make a commitment to getting their teams up to par with I-AA and making a commitment to more OOC games to challenge those who would provide a good base for SWAC to prove themselves...

:rolleyes: Please do your research on the recent playoff records of some conferences who have automatic bids before spreading your anti-SWAC message. :nonono2:

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM
:rolleyes: Please do your research on the recent playoff records of some conferences who have automatic bids before spreading your anti-SWAC message. :nonono2:

OVC is not looking too hot, I agree...

However, SWAC is the worst of all-time and their recent OOC record (last two years especially) have featured as many Div II victories over SWAC schools if not more than Div I wins by SWAC schools OOC...

MplsBison
October 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I believe the Ivy baseball teams have a playoff between the winners of the two league divisions to determine which one goes to the college WS.There is no post-season hoops tournament. The Ivy schools that have ice hockey teams are in the ECAC tournament.

Why isn't there a post season hoops tournament?

Seriously, did Harvard win the regular season one year and then lose in a tournament and not get to go to the playoffs?

It wouldn't suprise me if something like that happened so the entire system got changed.

Mr. Tiger
October 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM
OVC is not looking too hot, I agree...

However, SWAC is the worst of all-time and their recent OOC record (last two years especially) have featured as many Div II victories over SWAC schools if not more than Div I wins by SWAC schools OOC...

First of all TT, the SWAC hasn't been in the playoffs since the 1990s. Secondly, we have a 9-game mandate and classics so there have not been many games against ANY non-conference teams. And some Division II schools have given I-AA programs problems across the nation. Just ask Stephen F. Austin who lost to D-II Delta State this year. North Dakota beat Northern Iowa. Montana State lost to Chadron State. And Central Arkansas just moved up and appears ready to make noise in the Southland. The only D2 school I recall having success against the SWAC is Tuskegee and we have their coach now. xlolx

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2006, 10:06 PM
The only D2 school I recall having success against the SWAC is Tuskegee and we have their coach now. xlolx

North Carolina Central did have some problems with thefts, but did not have problems on the field...beat the SUperior school in the SWAC...:read:

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
North Carolina Central did have some problems with thefts, but did not have problems on the field...beat the superior school in the SWAC...:read:

Mis-information xidiotx

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Why isn't there a post season hoops tournament?

Seriously, did Harvard win the regular season one year and then lose in a tournament and not get to go to the playoffs?

It wouldn't suprise me if something like that happened so the entire system got changed.

I don't know why there's no Ivy hoops tournament. Nobody's ever agitated for one. Usually, either Penn or Princeton wins it outright and goes to the NCAAs. Harvard has never won the Ivy title in hoops.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Mis-information xidiotx

You edited my post...:nono:

I put SUperior school...which is what Southern refers to themselves as...not superior, all lower-case...

What happened to all that talk about Grambling being the, what? ICON? I really haven't heard much talk along those lines this season...

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
What happened to all that talk about Grambling being the, what? ICON? I really haven't heard much talk along those lines this season...

We are still THE ICON. We will win the SWAC.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM
We are still THE ICON. We will win the SWAC.No you wont.

Mr. Tiger
October 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM
We are still THE ICON. We will win the SWAC.

You can't even beat Pine Bluff. xlolx The champion will come out of the East this year.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
You can't even beat Pine Bluff. xlolx The champion will come out of the East this year.

And they shouldn't of even beaten Valley...

SWAC officiating...xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2006, 06:22 PM

What does that have to do with Oct. 21 and returning to Gramblingham.

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM
And they shouldn't of even beaten Valley...

SWAC officiating...xlolx

The same officiating that used the replay screen to determine a call. We know the officiating sucks, it is unfortunately it is common place. We've had plenty of calls that should have been sent in to the SWAC office. I applaud Coach Totten for doing it. :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
The same officiating that used the replay screen to determine a call. We know the officiating sucks, it is unfortunately it is common place. We've had plenty of calls that should have been sent in to the SWAC office. I applaud Coach Totten for doing it. :thumbsup:

You referring to the PVA&M/Alcorn game where all the officials lost track of downs and after a five-minute delay where they got lambasted by the broadcasters, the official said, "after further review"...what review is there? He have a special replay booth for him? Didn't realize the SWAC had replay... xidiotx

MACHIAVELLI
October 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM
You referring to the PVA&M/Alcorn game where all the officials lost track of downs and after a five-minute delay where they got lambasted by the broadcasters, the official said, "after further review"...what review is there? He have a special replay booth for him? Didn't realize the SWAC had replay... xidiotx

Nope not that one.

bonarae
October 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM
great idea... this might get the Ivies some more exposure...

Catmendue2
October 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
North Carolina Central did have some problems with thefts, but did not have problems on the field...beat the SUperior school in the SWAC...:read:

DID Central Arkansas kiss off in SHSU ass.:smiley_wi

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM

Unlike NCC, UCA is actually in the midst of the process and is already at the I-AA level for scholarships as well as having a very respectable Div II team (went deep last year) that has already challenged some of the I-AA elite, especially compared to Southern. NCC will begin the process next year...

This wasn't Concordia or Paul Quinn or for that matter, Lincoln that SHSU was playing...

Catmendue2
October 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Unlike NCC, UCA is actually in the midst of the process and is already at the I-AA level for scholarships as well as having a very respectable Div II team (went deep last year) that has already challenged some of the I-AA elite, especially compared to Southern. NCC will begin the process next year...

This wasn't Concordia or Paul Quinn or for that matter, Lincoln that SHSU was playing...

NCCU, would beat the breaks off UCA. you kidding right.xlolx :nod:

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
NCCU, would beat the breaks off UCA. you kidding right.xlolx :nod:

NCC beat Southern, a team ranked 86th in the GPI by seven points...

UCA was 29th in the GPI heading into Thursday's game against SHSU, which was 23rd...

That's a huge gap especially considering Southern is behind such teams that UCA beat such as #76 Missouri St (which also fell to SHSU) and #49 SFA (which UCA beat on the road)...

Comparing UCA to NCC is like comparing Appalachian St to Southern. There's no comparison...

letsgopards04
October 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
For the Ivy League being an academics first league this is true but the Patriot League still sends their champ to the playoffs and many of their schools (including Lafayette) have a higher admissions floor for athletes than many of the Ivies. As for the SWAC-Ivy game I think that would be great. The clash of cultures would be add a great human interest angle.

blukeys
October 22nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
For the Ivy League being an academics first league this is true but the Patriot League still sends their champ to the playoffs and many of their schools (including Lafayette) have a higher admissions floor for athletes than many of the Ivies. As for the SWAC-Ivy game I think that would be great. The clash of cultures would be add a great human interest angle.

The panty waist, snot nosed, tone deaf, smart aleck excuses for a marching band that represent Ivy Schools would crap in their pants when they see either Grambling's or Southern's Marching Bands. :nod: :nod: :nod:

HIU 93
October 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM

Unlike UCA, NCCU is 8-0, and when the rankings come out, they will be Top 5 Nationally, and #2 Regionally. They are EXTREMELY good and will definitely contend in the Division II Playoffs.

MACHIAVELLI
October 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM

Say it ain't so. Not the mighty.......what is that shsu mascot again?