PDA

View Full Version : Big South: Big South Lands Three Schools on Division I Learfield Sports Directors' Cu

News from the FCS
January 9th, 2014, 02:10 PM
http://big-south.s3.amazonaws.com/hot_entry_photos/29238/hot_entry.jpg?1389293979

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (BigSouthSports.com) – The Big South Conference landed three member institutions on the 2013-14 Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup Division I Fall Standings, it was announced today by the National Association of Collegiate Athletic Directors (NACDA). Coastal Carolina posted the League’s highest finish with its 134 points to come in at No. 40. Liberty and Radford each notched 25 points to tie at No. 148.
The Chanticleers are the third-highest rated Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) school and earned 70 points for its record-setting football season. Coastal Carolina became the first Big South Football team to advance to the FCS quarterfinals as it knocked off Bethune-Cookman in the first round and traditional FCS power Montana in the second round. The Chanticleers just missed the semifinals as it fell to eventual National Champion North Dakota State in the quarterfinals. Coastal Carolina received 64 points from its men’s soccer team as the Chants advanced to the NCAA College Cup Sweet 16 for the second-straight year. Coastal Carolina defeated East Tennessee State in the first round of the NCAA Men’s Soccer Championship and followed with a win over No. 16 Charlotte in round No. 2. Coastal Carolina narrowly fell to No. 5 California, 1-0 in the Sweet 16. The Chanticleers’ men’s soccer team ranked as high as No. 5 in the country during the 2013 season. The Coastal Carolina football team finished the season ranked No. 7 in the nation, while the men’s soccer team closed the season out at No. 11 in Division I.
The Lady Flames’ women’s soccer team earned points for Liberty as it won the Big South Women’s Soccer Championship and advanced the NCAA Tournament, its fourth NCAA Tournament appearance in school history.
The Highlanders earned their points via the women’s volleyball team’s Big South Volleyball Championship and NCAA Tournament bid. It marked the third time in school history that the Highlanders received the Big South’s automatic NCAA Tournament bid, and first since 2000.
The Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in up to 20 sports -- 10 women’s and 10 men’s. Stanford ranks No. 1 in the list with 461.25 points, followed by Michigan State with 382.50 points. Florida State rounds out the top three with 351.50 points.

More... (http://www.bigsouthsports.com/entries/big-south-lands-three-schools-on-division-i-learfield-sports-directors-cup-list)