PDA

View Full Version : SNW's Matt D on the SLC

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Here's his remarks...

I made my way down to the Southland and McNeese State, where the preseason favorite Cowboys turned it over six times and struggled on defense in a 27-17 loss to Texas State. The Bobcats moved to 1-1 in the league while McNeese State dropped its league opener, and six of the conference’s seven teams already have at least four losses overall. Those records have led most to believe the league can only garner one playoff bid, but a surging Sam Houston State team could have something to say about that. The Bearkats moved to 4-2 without a loss against a I-AA opponent and a 2-0 record in the league by getting 176 yards and three touchdowns from running back D.D. Terry and holding a 24-0 edge in the second half for an easy, 37-7, win against Nicholls State. They have emerged as the early conference favorite, and could even have an at-large berth to rely on with an 8-3 record if they don't get the conference automatic bid.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4044830.htm
============
Come on, Matt! I expected more from you...

Matt D does not have his facts together...

8-3 will not cut it for the playoffs unless that third loss by SHSU is to UCA, a Div II squad considering we have two sub-Div I games (UCA and UAM) on the schedule. You need a minimum of seven wins to be eligible for an at-large and 8-3 would mean we had seven Div I wins if we were to lose to a UCA squad. Only way to get there without winning the SLC and I don't think a loss to a sub-Div I, even if it is UCA will help any argument...

Matt D needs to realize that practically the whole SLC is pretty much eliminated from an at-large bid at this time due to the seven games Div I win count.

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I'm not completely up to speed with the exact rules (whether UCA technically counts as a Division II or transitional I-AA with regards to the playoffs) and whether the 7 win thing is subjective or otherwise... However, I think an 8-3 SHSU team with 2 of its losses to I-A national champion (last year and top 10) this year Texas and surging I-A SMU should get very strong consideration for the playoffs. The way it is currently going now, I don't think Sam Houston will have trouble winning the conference so this should be a moot point.

Bearkatpresident
October 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Surging is the apporprite word to use to describe the 'Kats right now. Along with the words: dangerous, on fire, freaking machine, and all around good team.