PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Frank Thomas selected to the Hall of Fame on their first ballot. Despite some numbskull not voting for Maddux because or a steriod-era protest, you get two Atlanta Braves and Georgia native Thomas. Not a bad day for the Peach State.

superman7515
January 8th, 2014, 02:29 PM
571 ballots cast, 429 votes needed for election.

Votes

Player

%

Greg Maddux

97.2%

Tom Glavine

91.9%

Frank Thomas

83.7%

Craig Biggio

74.8%

Mike Piazza

62.2%

Jack Morris

61.5%

Jeff Bagwell

54.3%

Tim Raines

46.1%

Roger Clemens

35.4%

Barry Bonds

34.7%

Lee Smith

29.9%

Curt Schilling

29.2%

Edgar Martinez

25.2%

Alan Trammel

20.8%

Mike Mussina

20.3%

Jeff Kent

15.2%

Fred McGriff

11.7%

Mark McGwire

11.0%

Larry Walker

10.2%

Don Mattingly

8.2%

Sammy Sosa

7.2%

Rafael Palmeiro

4.4%

Moises Alou

1.1%

Hideo Nomo

1.1%

Luis Gonzalez

0.9%

Eric Gagne

0.4%

J.T. Snow

0.4%

Armando Benitez

0.2%

Jacque Jones

0.2%

Kenny Rogers

0.2%

Sean Casey

0.0%

Ray Durham

0.0%

Todd Jones

0.0%

Paul Lo Duca

0.0%

Richie Sexson

0.0%

Mike Timlin

0.0%

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Is Thomas the first player to primarily DH to make the hall?

Proud to say Thomas hails from my home town. There are still plenty of folks that will chat with you about what it was like to watch him play as a little leaguer. Some of his homeruns were stuff of legend at 12 years old.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 8th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Very happy for Frank Thomas! Ripken, Schilling and Thomas are my three favorite players. Honorable mention to John Kruk...

NoDak 4 Ever
January 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Is Thomas the first player to primarily DH to make the hall?

Proud to say Thomas hails from my home town. There are still plenty of folks that will chat with you about what it was like to watch him play as a little leaguer. Some of his homeruns were stuff of legend at 12 years old.

Depends on what you call "primarily". He played a lot of 1B compared to guys like Baylor or Martinez.

superman7515
January 8th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Ripken was a dick in person.

Anyway, whoever voted for Jacque Jones should be removed. Not even a homer vote for Richie Sexson was surprising. Eric Gagne does not belong in the Hall, but still got disrespected in this vote finishing behind Hideo Nomo.

ngineer
January 8th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Good inductees. Biggio missed by a whisker. Should be in next year.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Also worth mentioning that Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, and Tony Larussa also will be heading in.

- - - Updated - - -

Good inductees. Biggio missed by a whisker. Should be in next year.

Maybe. I think next year the ballot adds a couple other stars like Randy Johnson.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, and Gary Sheffield are the bigger names next year. Johnson and Martinez are first ballot locks, Smoltz probably 75%, Sheffield probably less than 50% because of the PED cloud (he admitted to using but claimed it was an accident). Biggio will make it in next season as well. Nomar Garciaparra and Carlos Delgado come up for the first time next year, and while neither make it in next season, they'll get enough votes to hang around on the ballots.

In 2016, Ken Griffey Jr. is the only first ballot guy, but Trevor Hoffman and Billy Wagner should get enough votes to hang around. Possibly Jason Kendall as well, but there's such a backlog that it's not a guarantee, not that Kendall should ever make it anyway.

2017 you get Ivan Rodriguez and Vlad Guerrero as the most likely to get in. Magglio Ordonez was linked to PEDs by Canseco, and think what you want about him, but he was right way more than he was wrong when he named names. Manny Ramirez isn't getting in. Jorge Posada will probably hang around because of the Yankees, but I'm not sold that he'll ever actually get in, he shouldn't.

NHwildEcat
January 9th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, and Gary Sheffield are the bigger names next year. Johnson and Martinez are first ballot locks, Smoltz probably 75%, Sheffield probably less than 50% because of the PED cloud (he admitted to using but claimed it was an accident). Biggio will make it in next season as well. Nomar Garciaparra and Carlos Delgado come up for the first time next year, and while neither make it in next season, they'll get enough votes to hang around on the ballots.

In 2016, Ken Griffey Jr. is the only first ballot guy, but Trevor Hoffman and Billy Wagner should get enough votes to hang around. Possibly Jason Kendall as well, but there's such a backlog that it's not a guarantee, not that Kendall should ever make it anyway.

2017 you get Ivan Rodriguez and Vlad Guerrero as the most likely to get in. Magglio Ordonez was linked to PEDs by Canseco, and think what you want about him, but he was right way more than he was wrong when he named names. Manny Ramirez isn't getting in. Jorge Posada will probably hang around because of the Yankees, but I'm not sold that he'll ever actually get in, he shouldn't.

I plan to make the trip to Cooperstown in 2016 to see my boy-hood idol Griffey!

Nomar will never get close, which is good. The HOF needs stricter standards. You only need to play 10 years to gain entry onto the ballot. They should add other factors to that. Maybe set up a sub comittee that combs thru the players of 10 year tenure and narrows it down to actual talents versus guys who were able to cling on to the 25th spot on a roster.

NHwildEcat
January 9th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Mike Mussina was screwed. He should have been a lot higher on this list. Had he pitched in the NL he would have crazy numbers like the Braves pitchers.

Darlinikki150
January 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM
HOF is a joke until Roger Maris makes it in....

NHwildEcat
January 9th, 2014, 12:11 PM
HOF is a joke until Roger Maris makes it in....

I would have assumed he was. Wow. Biggio will get in, Maris has a far greater impact on the sport than him.

Darlinikki150
January 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I would have assumed he was. Wow. Biggio will get in, Maris has a far greater impact on the sport than him.

He is not in, and a lot of this east coast bias won't put him in. Many many articles in the subject saying he wasn't good enough, didn't have a high enough batting average. Some even still butch about him breaking Ruths home run record cuz it took Maris more games. Its a joke.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 01:29 PM
No objective measure places Maris in the Hall. He had two good years, one season of which got him in the record books, but he lacked longevity. Too few hits, too few home runs to stand on that alone, too low of a batting average, terrible WAR, made the All-Star game in only 4 years. He's tied for the 343rd best hitter in MLB history (100 spots behind Nomar since you're such a big fan of his NHwildEcat, haha) and that's certainly not getting anywhere near HOF status. Even when he won the MVP in 1961, he was only ranked in a tie with Jim Gentile as the 5th best batter in the AL behind Mantle, Norm Cash, Al Kaline, and Rocky Colavito. As for ECB, which works in the favor of players from East Coast teams (see why Tim Salmon didn't even get the respect of 5% to stay on a ballot), he only spent two seasons in Kansas City in which he did almost nothing of consequence, and the rest of his career was in the east, unless you're considering St. Louis as west for some reason, but that was the tail end of his career when he played for the Cardinals and he was so bad in 1968 that the Cardinals benched him for 1/3 of the games before he was forced into retirement because no one wanted him and his hot garbage play even though he felt he could still contribute.

Darlinikki150
January 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM
And again, the HOf is a joke for not letting him in, yet glorifying some players that cheated to get in. I don't know that much about baseball, its a passing fancy for me. But I know when somn is fishy, and HOF is fishy at best.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 04:28 PM
And again, the HOf is a joke for not letting him in, yet glorifying some players that cheated to get in. I don't know that much about baseball, its a passing fancy for me. But I know when somn is fishy, and HOF is fishy at best.

Which player do you feel the HOF glorifies, yet cheated to get in?

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Geez there were some players on that list I have never heard of? WTF?

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Every player that plays for 10 MLB seasons is eligible after they have been retired for 5 years (or dead 6 months, whichever comes first). That doesn't mean that they are even worthy of consideration, just that they meet the minimum qualifications. It's then up to the BBWAA to determine if they are worthy or not. Any player that drops below 5% of the vote is removed and permanently loses their eligibility, so you won't see those guys again next year.

Darlinikki150
January 9th, 2014, 06:47 PM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/205791-the-baseball-hall-of-fame-is-full-of-cheaters

Take your pick, there are several other articles to read also. Cheaters, racists, mobbed up players. HOF is full of them bro.

Bisonoline
January 9th, 2014, 07:56 PM

He didnt have a HOF career. Whats so hard to understand about that?

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 08:14 PM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/205791-the-baseball-hall-of-fame-is-full-of-cheaters

Take your pick, there are several other articles to read also. Cheaters, racists, mobbed up players. HOF is full of them bro.

The article mentions three players: Greenberg, Perry, and Mantle. None of them broke a rule. So which cheaters are you talking about, bro?

Darlinikki150
January 9th, 2014, 09:04 PM
The article mentions three players: Greenberg, Perry, and Mantle. None of them broke a rule. So which cheaters are you talking about, bro?

There were 2 more articles but I couldn't get them to copy. One is from NYT and the other from 1888articles. Now my point is I think Maris should be in, its my opinion. All sorts of players get in that are questionable. I don't have a vote and Maris is hometown legend. He was a gentleman, a damn good ball player and put up with garish Yankee fans- that alone should put him in lol. In all seriousness like I said baseball isn't my sport, I play fantasy but that's about it, lots of people think the same way I do. The HOF can be joke for not letting Bonds and Clemens in if you like that reason better? I just personally think its a joke for not letting Maris in. Agree or don't, doesn't matter to me. Plus I like getting you guys riled up, I'm bored waiting on fantasy baseball.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I'm not riled up, I wouldn't give Maris a second-thought. He was the 1961 version of Brady Anderson.

dgtw
January 9th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Two Braves pitchers and two Braves managers get into the HOF, glad to see that.

I'm a bit shocked Piazza wasn't closer to getting in. I never heard him accused of using steroids. Granted, he was no great shakes behind the plate, but he a beast at the plate.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I'm a bit shocked Piazza wasn't closer to getting in. I never heard him accused of using steroids. Granted, he was no great shakes behind the plate, but he a beast at the plate.

He admitted to using androstenedione, same thing as McGwire, prior to MLB banning it. Now, it wasn't banned and it wasn't illegal, but some writers are still holding it against him and others anyway.

PaladinFan
January 10th, 2014, 09:14 AM
There were 2 more articles but I couldn't get them to copy. One is from NYT and the other from 1888articles. Now my point is I think Maris should be in, its my opinion. All sorts of players get in that are questionable. I don't have a vote and Maris is hometown legend. He was a gentleman, a damn good ball player and put up with garish Yankee fans- that alone should put him in lol. In all seriousness like I said baseball isn't my sport, I play fantasy but that's about it, lots of people think the same way I do. The HOF can be joke for not letting Bonds and Clemens in if you like that reason better? I just personally think its a joke for not letting Maris in. Agree or don't, doesn't matter to me. Plus I like getting you guys riled up, I'm bored waiting on fantasy baseball.

There are a number of players that had short memorable moments in their career. Dale Murphy is the poster child for a guy that had a phenomenal impact on the game for a short period of time, but never really had a sustained career worthy of the hall.

PaladinFan
January 10th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Two Braves pitchers and two Braves managers get into the HOF, glad to see that.

You know, it's one of those moments that you look back on and say "wow, I probably didn't appreciate how good those guys were when watching them play every day."

You look at elite pitchers today, and then go look at Maddux's numbers. They are jaw dropping. The rotation the Braves had in 1997 might be the best rotation in a generation .

I Bleed Purple
January 10th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I see you're quite invested in this Superman, so I ask, what's your thought on the Le Betard news?

superman7515
January 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM
He's a good writer but a better promoter, very Terrell Owens in the "I love me some me" kind of way. This was a "look-at-me" moment, thinly veiled as a shot at the establishment, but really just to garner him a little more publicity and street cred with the younger generation and promote his brand. His vote didn't change whether someone did, or did not, get in, so I'm not overly bothered by his stunt, I just think he came off as kind of lame and needy in his craving for attention. The punishment he received fits the "crime" in this case, so I'm not uptight about it.

Darlinikki150
January 11th, 2014, 01:11 AM
Watching Olberman, funny how writers are flipping coins, having tequila parties and posting Twitter polls to find out who to vote for. And these actions don't make HOF voting and entrance a joke? Some writers that vote don't even take it serious, good grief.

PaladinFan
January 11th, 2014, 06:38 AM
At the end of the day, baseball just gets held to a higher standard. That's always been the case.

Gil Dobie
January 11th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Great players got in, still would like to see Jack Morris make it eventually. He was a transitional player from the old school complete game pitchers to the modern 100 pitch count era. Morris went into the 8th inning more than any pitcher since the DH was implemented, over half his games started.