PDA

View Full Version : Big South: Two Former Big South Football Players Voted to 2014 NFL Pro Bowl

News from the FCS
January 4th, 2014, 09:10 PM
http://big-south.s3.amazonaws.com/hot_entry_photos/29125/hot_entry.jpg?1388886515
Former Big South football players Justin Bethel (Presbyterian) and Mike Tolbert (Coastal Carolina) have been named to the 2014 NFL Pro Bowl roster, becoming the Conference's first-ever Pro Bowl honorees. The game will be played Sunday, January 26 and will televised live on NBC at 7:00pm from Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Bethel becomes Presbyterian College's first ever Pro Bowler. The Cardinals drafted Bethel in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Bethel elevated his status to elite-level special teams player this season with 18 special-teams tackles while blocking two field goals and forcing two more field goal misses.
On his personal Twitter account, the Blue Hose alumnus said, "I'm so grateful for this opportunity and thank God for everything. Wanna thank the fans and players that voted me in, love you guys."
The Pro Bowl selection process factored in online fan voting, during which Blue Hose fans cast their ballots for the PC product.
Tolbert, a second-year back for the Carolina Panthers and 2007 Coastal Carolina All-American, led all fullbacks in fan votes with 419,966 -- over 100,000 more votes than Cleveland's Chris Ogbonnaya -- and will be making his first appearance in the NFL's Pro Bowl. Tolbert has scored a team-high seven touchdowns (five rushing and two receiving) and is thriving as Carolina's short-yardage and goal line back. Of Tolbert's 94 carries, 31.9 percent have resulted in first downs -- a percentage that ranks first in the NFL among running backs and fullbacks. Tolbert has rushed for 322 yards on 94 attempts while adding 24 receptions for 174 yards.
"It's a big honor, because it shows all the hard work I put in pays off in the way I've been able to help my team win and by doing everything the coaches ask of me," Tolbert said. "It's a great feeling."
Tolbert played at Coastal from 2004-07, earning first team All-Big South honors in his final season along with his second team All-American honors. He averaged an impressive 6.03 yards per carry over his career (277 attempts for 1,670 yards) and he scored 21 rushing touchdowns, now third on the CCU all-time list. Tolbert signed as a free agent with the San Diego Chargers in 2008 and played four seasons before signing with the Panthers in 2012. He helped the team to the NFC South Division Championship this season.
The Pro Bowl no longer features the AFC versus NFC matchup that has existed since 1971. This year players were selected without regard to conference in voting by fans, coaches and players. Players will later be assigned to teams through the Pro Bowl Draft, which will air on NFL Network on Wednesday, January 22 at 8 p.m. ET.

More... (http://www.bigsouthsports.com/entries/two-former-big-south-football-players-voted-to-2014-nfl-pro-bowl)