PDA

View Full Version : Bill O'Brien - "I Don't Give A F--- What The 'Paterno People' Think"

superman7515
January 2nd, 2014, 07:59 AM
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html

On Dec. 4, I was returning from Penn State’s men’s basketball game at Pitt when I had a 20-minute phone conversation with Bill O’Brien, who was himself driving on what he said was a recruiting trip.
It was then that I had a pretty good idea he might not be the head football coach at Penn State much longer. Because he told me so.

I was not at liberty to quote him then because the dialogue was agreed upon to remain strictly off the record. But it was clear to me when the call ended that O’Brien’s incongruous two-year marriage with Penn State was in jeopardy.

I initiated the conversation the day before on the way to Pittsburgh with the intention of interpreting the reasons for assistant coach Ron Vanderlinden’s departure from the program. O’Brien was very guarded about those reasons, repeatedly using non sequiturs and clichés in place of rationale. Meanwhile, Vanderlinden politely but firmly refused to talk about it, either. It sounded like a human-resources deal, both having agreed not to speak publicly.

I ended up ferreting out the most logical reasoning I could and wrote a subsequent column about it that both parties seemed satisfied with. I learned a while ago that if two opposite principals in a disagreement are unwilling to speak about its evolution or resolution, it’s best to discard any tangential interpretations from various third parties and leave it alone.

What I did confirm that day instead was how frustrated O’Brien seemed to be at Penn State. I grew to like the guy over two years because his personality is one I can understand. Like me, he tends toward boil-overs with multiple and often comical strings of F-bombs. While some people don’t understand that type of behavior, I think such venting is healthy as long as it doesn’t verbally abuse anyone. And O’Brien wasn’t venting at me, just to me....

Much more at the link...

ngineer
January 2nd, 2014, 08:59 PM
Most figured O'Brien was short term and he ran into too many "JoePAbotics" as the media around here call 'em. NFL with more money and no recruiting clearly much more to his liking. Now, with sanctions reduced and light at end of tunnel, I see PSU bringing in someone with Nittany blood.

TTUEagles
January 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Rumor in Nashville is that James Franklin will be named HC shortly after their bowl game Saturday... (sports talk radio - take that for what it's worth)

CitadelGrad
January 3rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
O'Brien is full of ****. He had near unanimous support from Penn State fans. The Joebot narrative is complete fiction. He ran for the money and played a game with both Penn State and Houston. When Penn State submitted to all of his demands, he made another demand that he knew they would not give him. That was his out.

Skyhawk71
January 3rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
Rumor in Nashville is that James Franklin will be named HC shortly after their bowl game Saturday... (sports talk radio - take that for what it's worth)

It is inevitable that he will leave VU, although I wish he would stay, just an awesome guy; had the opportunity to meet him on several occasions at VU baseball........it will be a sad day for the 'Dores; hopefully someone can come in and keep his momentum going

ngineer
January 3rd, 2014, 08:47 PM
Franklin would be a good choice. While not a PSU grad or former coach there, he is a Pennsylvanian and was an excellent QB at East Stroudsburg University and coached at Kutztown (D-II) before moving up.

TTUEagles
January 4th, 2014, 08:31 AM
charlie Strong to Texas, Franklin to PSU and Mack Brown goes home to Cookeville to help out his brother.... :D

Skyhawk71
January 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I was just telling one of my friends here, that Tech was about to get a big time assistant, that will really turn things around..........xlolx

TTUEagles
January 4th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I was just telling one of my friends here, that Tech was about to get a big time assistant, that will really turn things around..........xlolx
The rumor is (a while back) that Mack gave a nice-sized donation that helped kickstart the building of the indoor facility. Don't know if that's true or not.

ngineer
January 5th, 2014, 12:13 AM
I think PSU will go with either Golden or Franklin.

superman7515
January 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
If you follow FootballScoop, they're saying the Penn State is ready to offer James Franklin the job but the Vanderbilt AD is saying he will not let Franklin out of his contract at Vandy.

ngineer
January 8th, 2014, 09:18 PM
If you follow FootballScoop, they're saying the Penn State is ready to offer James Franklin the job but the Vanderbilt AD is saying he will not let Franklin out of his contract at Vandy.

No buy out clause?? As with O'Brien, money talks.

superman7515
January 9th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Penn State sources say things got "pretty hairy" starting Monday night, but James Franklin has been hired as the new coach.