PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Sports a Growing Trend at Major Colleges

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I read this story in our local paper today. I wonder how much of this is due to the arms race for player facilities, multiple uniforms, etc.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/cutting-sports-growing-trend-major-colleges-21299223 (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/cutting-sports-growing-trend-major-colleges-21299223)

Cutting Sports a Growing Trend at Major CollegesDecember 21, 2013 (AP)
By WILL GRAVES AP Sports Writer

http://a.abcnews.com/assets/images/logo/AP_logo_update_20130709.gif
The meeting was brief. A few minutes tops.
Temple athletic director Kevin Clark didn't mince words. Standing inside the football team's indoor practice facility earlier this month, Clark scanned the crowd of dozens of student-athletes — none of them football players — and told them the financially strapped athletic department was cutting their sport at the end of the 2013-14 academic year.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Or...

Realizing that funding 25, or more, sports is stupid when less than a half dozen turn a profit

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

bonarae
December 27th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Well, are they making the lesser known sports (the ones being cut) less relevant? xsmhx

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Or...

Realizing that funding 25, or more, sports is stupid when less than a half dozen turn a profit

Are you saying Title IX is bad. Shame on you.;)

Hammerhead
December 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Do any sports other than men's basketball and football make money at most schools? Ice hockey is a big revenue stream at a few schools and it might be the same for Lacrosse or women's bball at others.

Or...

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Do any sports other than men's basketball and football make money at most schools? Ice hockey is a big revenue stream at a few schools and it might be the same for Lacrosse or women's bball at others.

And its "men's" ice hockey that makes any money at selective schools. You are lucky if a 1000 people show for women's hockey. Not many sports make money but you have to keep it even or they cut the sport (that's how UND lost wrestling and gained women's hockey).

bkrownd
December 27th, 2013, 03:18 PM
women's volleyball - some of the best programs sell lots of tix and swag

clenz
December 28th, 2013, 09:46 AM
UNI likely madness money on volleyball (haven't looked) but they are top 5-10 annually in attendance nationally.

Wrestling at UNI may have had some years it didn't after a coaching change took us from top 10 to not very good, but I'd bet it does now that we are back to a top 10 ranked program.

WBB at uni likely doesn't but comes very close

JayJ79
December 31st, 2013, 10:03 PM
UNI likely madness money on volleyball (haven't looked) but they are top 5-10 annually in attendance nationally.

Wrestling at UNI may have had some years it didn't after a coaching change took us from top 10 to not very good, but I'd bet it does now that we are back to a top 10 ranked program.

WBB at uni likely doesn't but comes very close
I'd be surprised if any sports at UNI (or a majority of other FCS schools) actually turned a profit, when you factor in all expenses (scholarship money, travel costs, coaching/staff salaries, venue expenses, etc.) without factoring in "institutional support" (general fund money, student fees).