PDA

View Full Version : Bohl to Wyoming

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Before Boise State's success.... many would argue that BSU was a dead end.... But Dan Hawkins and Chris Peterson built a winning culture and team... much like Bohl at NDSU. We are a long way from being a Boise State..... but it's possible.

NDSU already had a winning culture, Bohl brought it to the next level. NDSU had 3 losing seasons out of the last 50.

MSU_77
December 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM
NDSU already had a winning culture, Bohl brought it to the next level. NDSU had 3 losing seasons out of the last 50.

Your winning tradition doesn't depend on a single individual coach. There are many factors. NDSU will be fine.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Before Boise State's success.... many would argue that BSU was a dead end.... But Dan Hawkins and Chris Peterson built a winning culture and team... much like Bohl at NDSU. We are a long way from being a Boise State..... but it's possible.

Right xrolleyesx

North Dakota State University Football
National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12
Runner up: 1981 '84
NCC champions: 1925 '32 '35 '64 '65 '66 '67 '68 '69 '70 '72 '73 '74 '76 '77 '81 '82 '83 '84 '85 '86 '88 '90 '91 '92 '94
GW champions: 2006
MVFC champions: 2011 '12

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Right xrolleyesx

1000th post. you win this thread

JayJ79
December 9th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Go away. No one cares. No one will accept you here. You are wasting your time. This PR move by Wyoming to let him stay doesn't change the fact you are gutting our program. we have no respect for you.

as if NDSU wouldn't "gut a program" to get the coaches they want, if given the opportunity....

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Right xrolleyesx

North Dakota State University Football
National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12
Runner up: 1981 '84
NCC champions: 1925 '32 '35 '64 '65 '66 '67 '68 '69 '70 '72 '73 '74 '76 '77 '81 '82 '83 '84 '85 '86 '88 '90 '91 '92 '94
GW champions: 2006
MVFC champions: 2011 '12

Forgive my ignorance of NDSU football.

texcap
December 9th, 2013, 09:39 AM
100 pages in less than 24 hours! A new record?
Not trying to take anything away from this epic post (2nd best after Chattown's HOF thread), or to be too nit picky, but in 24 hours this thread was only at 93 pages. As a matter of fact, your previous post about 100 pages (post #937) was the last post in the 24 hour period.

superman7515
December 9th, 2013, 09:51 AM
People that say Wyoming is a dead end job are ignorant of past Wyoming Coaches.... Wyoming Coaches have gone on to Coach some Major programs.

Absolutely right and I'm glad it came right from a Wyoming fans mouth, or fingers in this case. If a Wyoming coach wants to have success, he needs to leave Wyoming.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Absolutely right and I'm glad it came right from a Wyoming fans mouth, or fingers in this case. If a Wyoming coach wants to have success, he needs to leave Wyoming.
Probably still a bit of sour grapes on my part but I don't think Bohl will still be at Wyoming in 5 years. He'll either be let go because he couldn't be successful enough or he'll be moved on to something bigger and better if he does have success.

clenz
December 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM
No one is EVER going to win enough at Wyoming for 99.9% of America to care. It just isn't going to happen.

The number of people who will care nationally, if Wyoming wins and gets into bowl games is still more than double (probably) the number of people who care NDSU had won back to back (possibly another) title....

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Probably still a bit of sour grapes on my part but I don't think Bohl will still be at Wyoming in 5 years. He'll either be let go because he couldn't be successful enough or he'll be moved on to something bigger and better if he does have success.

Burnishing his FBS credentials for the K State or Nebraska job.

clenz
December 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Most likely

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 10:09 AM
The number of people who will care nationally, if Wyoming wins and gets into bowl games is still more than double (probably) the number of people who care NDSU had won back to back (possibly another) title....

Depends on your definition of "caring". If by caring you mean they'll have more fans follow them to a bowl game 1000+ miles away then no, you're wrong. If by caring you mean they'll pay attention to the game and make a point to watch it on TV then you're probably right. Depends on whether you want to value casual fans and hardcore fans or just the hardcore fans. Do casual fans truly "care"? That's a debate that no one will win.

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM

As much as it pains me to say, i have to agree with this.

clenz
December 9th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Depends on your definition of "caring". If by caring you mean they'll have more fans follow them to a bowl game 1000+ miles away then no, you're wrong. If by caring you mean they'll pay attention to the game and make a point to watch it on TV then you're probably right. Depends on whether you want to value casual fans and hardcore fans or just the hardcore fans. Do casual fans truly "care"? That's a debate that no one will win.

One would have to take casual fans into play when talking "caring nationally".

Any bowl game (except 1 or 2) Wyoming would be in would have twice the ratings of any fcd playoff game. Someone has to have the ratings chart that floated after the games last year....our spoke very very badly of people caring enough to watch long enough to even count towards ratings

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Any bowl game (except 1 or 2) Wyoming would be in would have twice the ratings of any fcd playoff game. Someone has to have the ratings chart that floated after the games last year....our spoke very very badly of people caring enough to watch long enough to even count towards ratings

Posted this earlier..

"I completely disagree with this. I love FCS football but to the masses very little people care.

Here's a sobering stat Temple-Wyoming again TEMPLE VS. WYOMING! Bowl Game rating 1.54 vs 0.7 for the 2012 FCS Title Game....."

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM

have you seen their attendance numbers? I think you are grossly overestimating the interest level of the average fan of Wyoming. Let me get back to you with more concrete numbers after I call all 12 of them.

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Going to a program with a record of 21 winning years in the past 52 seasons? I'm sure they have a fan following. I mistyped my calculation of their total number of fans. I'd have to give them one for each winning year so they have almost doubled the number of fans to 21. Look at the pic someone else posted of their senior day. That is god awful.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hopefully he succeeds but I really only care about his success over the next month. After that, good bye and good luck.

He seems to really love the area out there. I could not disagree more, I was super glad my wife got another offer than Wyoming. I was mentally preparing to live there but I did not want to, at all.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Oh yeah, pretty much every bowl game has higher ratings than the FCS national championship game. But that's due just as much to marketing and TV scheduling as it is to viewership of the respective fan bases involved in the game. There's no denying that bowl games brings more national exposure to a program than the FCS championship game but there's something to be said for having a fan base that supports your team physically and financially rather than a fan base that just watches on TV when it's convenient for them.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
After having a chance to reflect and think about this whole situation.

Congratulations to Coach Bohl and his staff. We all knew that an FBS job was going to lure him away at some point. I would have thought it would have been better then Wyoming but it's actually a no brainer. That program has no where to go but up. I think Coach Bohl turns that program around and he gets a shot at his dream job in 3-4 years. You really can't fault him for wanting a shot at that and it would seem that the end of this relationship will be as amicable as possible under the circumstances. I don't think anyone involved wanted the news to be broke the way it was but that not much can be done about it now. Hopefully the transition to a new staff at NDSU is a flawless one.

I say to Bison Nation let's do this and have one last party together in Frisco! GO BISON!!!!

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 10:46 AM
After having a chance to reflect and think about this whole situation.

Congratulations to Coach Bohl and his staff. We all knew that an FBS job was going to lure him away at some point. I would have thought it would have been better then Wyoming but it's actually a no brainer. That program has no where to go but up. I think Coach Bohl turns that program around and he gets a shot at his dream job in 3-4 years. You really can't fault him for wanting a shot at that and it would seem that the end of this relationship will be as amicable as possible under the circumstances. I don't think anyone involved wanted the news to be broke the way it was but that not much can be done about it now. Hopefully the transition to a new staff at NDSU is a flawless one.

I say to Bison Nation let's do this and have one last party together in Frisco! GO BISON!!!!
Yeah, I almost got the feeling from Bohl's comments on his coach's show yesterday that he was almost burnt out at the prospect of sustaining the success he built at NDSU. I wonder if he had the struggles of 2008-2009 in his head after his magnificent runs in 2006 and 2007. He knows how to build success but I think the prospect of sustaining it is what led him to say his job was complete at NDSU. He's going to have his salary tripled or quadrupled in a lower stress work environment... it makes a lot of sense.

laxVik
December 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
My God NDSU fans are worse than duck fans (which I'm one as well) after Kelly bolted to the Eagles. Why? Eagles suck. The fans suck. Blah blah. I think Bohl is a good fit at Wyo.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM

It's all about marketing. If ESPN markets the FCS right we wouldn't be even having this conversation. Also what network ESPN puts the game on. I would still say Ndsu, Shsu, Ewu, Um, Uni, Maine etc (top 25 FCS) are more nationally relevant than Wyoming. The only thing Wyoming has going is that it's the only state university in the state and students pay a lot of fees to see it lose more often than win. When you have to travel an hour across state borders to do anything fun or to Boulder recruiting will always be hard. I live in Denver I know how much Wyoming sucks.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 12:51 PM
It's all about marketing. If ESPN markets the FCS right we wouldn't be even having this conversation. Also what network ESPN puts the game on. I would still say Ndsu, Shsu, Ewu, Um, Uni, Maine etc (top 25 FCS) are more nationally relevant than Wyoming. The only thing Wyoming has going is that it's the only state university in the state and students pay a lot of fees to see it lose more often than win. When you have to travel an hour across state borders to do anything fun or to Boulder recruiting will always be hard. I live in Denver I know how much Wyoming sucks.

I don't get how a college football (FCS/FBS) fan can say that. Wyoming has brand recognition and in a funny way, uniform recognition. People know about the Cowboys, (perhaps not the younger crowd?). If you watched college football in the 90's you know about Joe Tiller's time in Laramie. Those Thursday night WAC games? Those were great! Likewise with Sonny Lubick at Colorado State!

Wyoming sucks in the same way North Dakota sucks. I like both but the majority of Americans make jokes about them.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't get a how a fan of college football (FCS/FBS) fan can say that. Wyoming has brand recognition and in a funny way, uniform recognition. People know about the Cowboys, (perhaps not the younger crowd?). If you watched college football in the 90's you know about Joe Tiller's time in Laramie. Those Thursday night WAC games? Those were great! Likewise with Sonny Lubbick at Colorado State!

Wyoming sucks in the same way North Dakota sucks. I like both but the majority of Americans make jokes about them.

Wyoming is a stop. Nothing more. Successful coaches go to better teams, unsuccessful coaches go to the dustbin.

I think even though they are excited, he will have a shorter leash after the Glenn situation.

They gave Christensen 4 years after giving Glenn 6 years.

Paul Roach and Tiller are the only 2 HCs with a winning record in the last 30 years, neither of which lasted longer than 4 years.

The longest tenured coach in Wyoming history is Lloyd Eaton, 9 years in the '60s

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't get how a college football (FCS/FBS) fan can say that. Wyoming has brand recognition and in a funny way, uniform recognition. People know about the Cowboys, (perhaps not the younger crowd?). If you watched college football in the 90's you know about Joe Tiller's time in Laramie. Those Thursday night WAC games? Those were great! Likewise with Sonny Lubbick at Colorado State!

Maybe I am too young. The only reason I know about them is because they are neighbors to CO and their mascot.

Sader87
December 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
This was basically a "no-brainer" for Bohl. What else could he really accomplish at NDSU, low expectations at Wyoming and, oh yea, a lot more $$$$$.

I just don't think he'll be able to even remotely come close to his success at Fargo in Laramie though.

NDSU has a lot of positives at the FCS-level (only show in town, tremendous community support, strong Midwestern recruiting pipeline, unique home-field facility etc etc) that Bohl won't have (or to a lesser extent) at Wyoming on the FBS-level.

I also think the divide between the BCS programs and non-BCS programs is widening more than it's leveling out. The Mountain West (imo) is much closer overall to the MAC, Sun-Belt etc than it is to the SEC, B1G, Pac-12 etc.

It's going to be very difficult if not impossible for Bohl to have any sort of splash at Wyoming.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Wyoming is a stop. Nothing more. Successful coaches go to better teams, unsuccessful coaches go to the dustbin.

I think even though they are excited, he will have a shorter leash after the Glenn situation.

They gave Christensen 4 years after giving Glenn 6 years.

Paul Roach and Tiller are the only 2 HCs with a winning record in the last 30 years, neither of which lasted longer than 4 years.

The longest tenured coach in Wyoming history is Lloyd Eaton, 9 years in the '60s

I understand that. But the reality of the situation is Bohl's baggage did hurt him. He might have been a saint in Fargo but that carries only so much weight. The perception of him from Nebraska people is NOT good. When Husker fans don't like you there's a problem imo. They've given teams standing ovations after beating up on their beloved team.

Wyoming, all things considered is a fair spot to try to improve your image further. He doesn't have to set the world on fire at Wyoming for more people to take notice. Success will be measured by bowl appearances and competitiveness within the MWC.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I understand that. But the reality of the situation is Bohl's baggage did hurt him. He might have been a saint in Fargo but that carries only so much weight. The perception of him from Nebraska people is NOT good. When Husker fans don't like you there's a problem imo. They've given teams standing ovations after beating up on their beloved team.

Wyoming, all things considered is a fair spot to try to improve your image further. He doesn't have to set the world on fire at Wyoming for more people to take notice. Success will be measured by bowl appearances and competitiveness within the MWC.

If he succeeds, look for him somewhere like K State. Perfect chance to give a FU to Nebraska. No offense to our Furman friends.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:29 PM
This was basically a "no-brainer" for Bohl. What else could he really accomplish at NDSU, low expectations at Wyoming and, oh yea, a lot more $$$$$.

I just don't think he'll be able to even remotely come close to his success at Fargo in Laramie though.

NDSU has a lot of positives at the FCS-level (only show in town, tremendous community support, strong Midwestern recruiting pipeline, unique home-field facility etc etc) that Bohl won't have (or to a lesser extent) at Wyoming on the FBS-level.

I also think the divide between the BCS programs and non-BCS programs is widening more than it's leveling out. The Mountain West (imo) is much closer overall to the MAC, Sun-Belt etc than it is to the SEC, B1G, Pac-12 etc.

It's going to be very difficult if not impossible for Bohl to have any sort of splash at Wyoming.

So where are the coaches at UCF, Ohio, Cincinnati, Boise State etc. going to come from? There's a natural progression in the coaching ranks like there is in every joe schmo job in the "real world". It all comes down to current talent, potential and character. History has shown that very few elite FCS coaches move onto big time gigs. Given Bohl's history, Wyoming seems like par.

We'd be having this same conversation if Bohl took over at Central Michigan, UL-Lafayette, Colorado State, heck even Indiana. Several NDSU fans thought moving to Minnesota would have been a step back? Really? Seriously? 99% of coaches in America would consider that an insane comment.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:32 PM
If he succeeds, look for him somewhere like K State. Perfect chance to give a FU to Nebraska. No offense to our Furman friends.

I'd like to see him at Kansas State! My football watching life basically followed K-State's rise from complete disaster to #1 in the country. I've always pulled for them. Likewise with Northwestern...

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 01:32 PM

He takes WY into Lincoln and wins in 2 years he will get the NU job.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I'd like to see him at Kansas State! My football watching life basically followed K-State's rise from complete disaster to #1 in the country. I've always pulled for them. Likewise with Northwestern...

If Snyder can hold out for a few more years, any success that CB will have at Wyoming will better translate into that job than what he did in FCS.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
He takes WY into Lincoln and wins in 2 years he will get the NU job.

I don't think so. Pelini has one more year. If history is any indication, 4 losses and adios. Bohl isn't going to parley the Wyoming job into much of anything in one year anyway. I honestly don't see Bohl going back there as long as Osborne and some of the old guard are alive.

FargoBison
December 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I think Bohl took this job not entirely because of the money, the man has been at NDSU for over a decade and perhaps he was just ready for a new challenge. I also think his representation told him that if you want to coach at the BCS level you need to coach at a MAC or MWC school first, schools like Iowa or Nebraska aren't going to hire an FCS coach. I think if Bohl does well at Wyoming there is a great chance of him being a Big 10 or Big 12 head coach. I think his assistants see him on that kind of track, which is why they are sticking with him. It could be a Jerry Kill type of situation.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I don't think so. Pelini has one more year. If history is any indication, 4 losses and adios. Bohl isn't going to parley the Wyoming job into much of anything in one year anyway. I honestly don't see Bohl going back there as long as Osborne and some of the old guard are alive.

Yeah I guess Pelini is probably gonna be gone next year or in another game or 2. xlolx

I do think with this coaching staff and some defensive recruits or JUCO's WY could be bowl eligible next year.

LeeshaJo
December 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Sounds like Huntsville, execpt we choose all the prisons and a university and gave up the capital part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Or Sioux Falls and Vermillion... Sioux Falls choose the prison, verm by default got USD

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2013, 01:59 PM
have you seen their attendance numbers? I think you are grossly overestimating the interest level of the average fan of Wyoming. Let me get back to you with more concrete numbers after I call all 12 of them.

You'll have to trust me on this one, but Wyoming residents are just as passionate about their Cowboys as any North Dakotan is for the Bison. Though their attendance falls when their team is struggling.
Just as at any program, success fills the seats! As a prior posts shows they have not been able to put together consistent successful seasons. Wyoming has the nation's smallest population and Laramie is not exactly centrally located. So while they may not make the drive for games in poor years their fans are still rabid about wanting Cowboy wins.

I do agree with Prof. Chaos. Win or lose, Bohl will probably be there about five years. At that point he'll be canned for failing to make them a Mt West contender, or he'll jump to a more prominent program due to his success in Laramie. This is just the nature of the beast for smaller programs.

Pant8her
December 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I know every Bison fan did not believe it could ever happen but on the earlier thread about who'd be looking for a coach I predicted NDSU would be one.
I am surprised Bohl went with Wyoming. As others have posted it is a tough job. Wyoming LOVES their Cowboys but Laramie is a hard spot to recruit to.
Though I am not surprised Wyoming went with Bohl. Wyoming already has a very potent offense but they had a terrible defense.
He might be able to get them turned around. However I'd bet he brings his defensive coordinator and staff with him to jump start things.

If Kleinman goes with him I will almost guarantee that the defense will almost instantaneously improve. As an example NDSU's defense has been the best in the country (at least at the FCS level) since Klienman was drafted there from UNI, before he was at NDSU the defense was average. At UNI he had the defense as one of the best annually.
The players at UNI loved this guy and played the best they could, when he left the defense went down as did the UNI record.

I sympathize with the Bison fans that coach Bohl is leaving, this is really bad timing (during the playoffs) and we will miss the coaching he has done. He helped raise the level of competition in the MVFC.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 04:14 PM
If Kleinman goes with him I will almost guarantee that the defense will almost instantaneously improve. As an example NDSU's defense has been the best in the country (at least at the FCS level) since Klienman was drafted there from UNI, before he was at NDSU the defense was average. At UNI he had the defense as one of the best annually.
The players at UNI loved this guy and played the best they could, when he left the defense went down as did the UNI record.

I sympathize with the Bison fans that coach Bohl is leaving, this is really bad timing (during the playoffs) and we will miss the coaching he has done. He helped raise the level of competition in the MVFC.
Agreed, Kleiman is a fantastic coach and I would be ecstatic if Taylor could somehow convince him to become the next head man at NDSU. It's not just a freak coincidence that he's been on the winning sideline for the last 6 meetings between UNI and NDSU. UNI won 3 in a row from 2008-2010. Kleiman was hired away in the spring of 2011 and NDSU has won 3 in a row from 2011-2013.

FargoBison
December 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM

NDSU defenses in 2010 and 2011 were in no way average. Hazelton was an outstanding DC. Klieman is a great coach as well, a guy I really want to see be the HC. But there is also a reason why Hazelton is very high on the list of guys NDSU fans want as HC.

Catbooster
December 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM

I'm not sure you're really familiar with Wyoming.

Only show in town - check. The only one in the state including NAIA/DIII/DII, etc.

Tremendous community support - tentatively. It may not be apparent, but they have good support, just that it's spread out over a large area. Winning will make it more worth the effort to get to Laramie for a game. Good support but it needs a kick-start.

Recruiting Pipelines - Bohl and his staff have those pipelines as much as the Bison do

Unique home-field facility - No offense to the Bison faithful, but I'm not sure what's so unique about their facility? Based on what I know of their facilities, I would only give the Bison an advantage in crowd size/noise. WY can get that if they start winning.

Texas
December 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure you're really familiar with Wyoming.
Unique home-field facility - No offense to the Bison faithful, but I'm not sure what's so unique about their facility? Based on what I know of their facilities, I would only give the Bison an advantage in crowd size/noise. WY can get that if they start winning.
It's a dome.

Catbooster
December 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
It's a dome.
ok, that's different than Wyoming's stadium, but I wouldn't call a dome unique. Maybe that's what he meant by it though.

Green1
December 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
It's a dome.

If only there was some way Sam Houston could got to Fargo this year.... Oh, wait... Never mind. :D

It's an exciting venue. Fun place to watch a football game.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
ok, that's different than Wyoming's stadium, but I wouldn't call a dome unique. Maybe that's what he meant by it though.

People show up to it.

Green1
December 9th, 2013, 05:07 PM

You know, if you guys would schedule a game with us, you could see what it's like...oh,wait....never mind. :D

Sader87
December 9th, 2013, 05:38 PM
My point was somewhat muddled. Basically what I'm saying, is that what Bohl had at NDSU (fan support, facilities, recruiting etc) allowed him to be nationally successful at the FCS-level. What he is basically taking over in Wyoming is probably only about a half-step better (if that) and it will be exceedingly difficult to be anywhere near as successful at the FBS-level at Wyoming.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
My point was somewhat muddled. Basically what I'm saying, is that what Bohl had at NDSU (fan support, facilities, recruiting etc) allowed him to be nationally successful at the FCS-level. What he is basically taking over in Wyoming is probably only about a half-step better (if that) and it will be exceedingly difficult to be anywhere near as successful at the FBS-level at Wyoming.
I think Bohl will be successful but no where near. NDSU has been able to get kids that couldn't get into Minnesota, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin(upper mid west). Wyoming has 2 schools close (CSU, CU) that are better than it(for now), and the MN, ND, SD, WI pipeline won't work well anymore. Still I think that he would compete for MW most years. If he is able to win a MW title or 2, he is gone from Wyoming.

Catbooster
December 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM
You know, if you guys would schedule a game with us, you could see what it's like...oh,wait....never mind. :D
I wish we had stuck with that game, although I guess money is always a concern so I understand why we didn't (doesn't mean I like it though).

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I wish we had stuck with that game, although I guess money is always a concern so I understand why we didn't (doesn't mean I like it though).

MSU could have come into the #1 team's house and won and made the playoffs this year......xeyebrowx

Your AD should have scheduled another 'patsy' if money was such a concern and gone 8-4 instead of going to SMU.

MplsBison
December 9th, 2013, 11:17 PM

Would you consider it a "success" if Holy Cross dropped down to NAIA and won the national championship?

Winning a bowl game at Wyoming is the same on the "success-o-meter" as winning the FCS national championship.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Would you consider it a "success" if Holy Cross dropped down to NAIA and won the national championship?

Winning a bowl game at Wyoming is the same on the "success-o-meter" as winning the FCS national championship.

Welcome back Mpls. Bohl leaving stir you back up?

Sader87
December 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM

Mmmm maybe. Let's face it, outside of the diehards here and fans of non-BCS, FBS football, there aren't a whole lot of people who know the difference between North Dakota St or Wyoming football.

My input on this thread is basically that Bohl (who personally probably made the right move) will not see anywhere near the success at Wyoming that he had at NDSU. He's obviously a tremendous coach, but he also had a lot of built-in advantages at the NDSU/FCS level that he won't have at Wyoming.

Grizzlies82
December 10th, 2013, 12:54 AM

Disagree. Even Wyoming fans understand winning a championship is not "the same" as winning a bowl.
Though up to this point, simply making a bowl appearance has been mighty rare for the Cowboys.
So if Bohl can get them a bowl win, I imagine they'd celebrate that win as if it were a National Championship.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Disagree. Even Wyoming fans understand winning a championship is not "the same" as winning a bowl.
Though up to this point, simply making a bowl appearance has been mighty rare for the Cowboys.
So if Bohl can get them a bowl win, I imagine they'd celebrate that win as if it were a National Championship.

Just to build on this, Wyoming's recent bowl experience:

2011: New Mexico Bowl, loss to Temple 37-15

2009: New Mexico Bowl, win vs. Fresno State 35-28

2004: Las Vegas Bowl, win vs. UCLA 24-21

1993: Copper Bowl, loss vs. Kansas State 52-17

1990: Copper Bowl, loss vs. California, 17-15

1988: Holiday Bowl, loss vs. Oklahoma State, 62-14

1987: Holiday Bowl, loss vs. Iowa, 20-19

1976: Fiesta Bowl, loss vs. Oklahoma 41-7

Going back before my lifetime, Wyoming lost a Sugar Bowl appearance to LSU 20-13 in 1967; and won a Sun Bowl game vs. Florida State in 1966 28-20. That's basically three bowl wins in the last 50 years (their next bowl appearance was in 1958).

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Mmmm maybe. Let's face it, outside of the diehards here and fans of non-BCS, FBS football, there aren't a whole lot of people who know the difference between North Dakota St or Wyoming football.

My input on this thread is basically that Bohl (who personally probably made the right move) will not see anywhere near the success at Wyoming that he had at NDSU. He's obviously a tremendous coach, but he also had a lot of built-in advantages at the NDSU/FCS level that he won't have at Wyoming.

Disagree.

At the Wyoming press conference, it sounds like the Wyoming AD is giving Coach Bohl a lot of resources to be successful. It was pretty vague what they are but it sounds like they want to change the football 'culture' at Wyoming. They want to be a tough, hard-nose football team and Bohl is the coach to do it.

They actually have nice football facilities and if Bohl can win then people will come to watch.

Wyoming picked the right coach.

Green1
December 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM

Just to build on this, Wyoming's recent bowl experience:

2011: New Mexico Bowl, loss to Temple 37-15

2009: New Mexico Bowl, win vs. Fresno State 35-28

2004: Las Vegas Bowl, win vs. UCLA 24-21

1993: Copper Bowl, loss vs. Kansas State 52-17

1990: Copper Bowl, loss vs. California, 17-15

1988: Holiday Bowl, loss vs. Oklahoma State, 62-14

1987: Holiday Bowl, loss vs. Iowa, 20-19

1976: Fiesta Bowl, loss vs. Oklahoma 41-7

Going back before my lifetime, Wyoming lost a Sugar Bowl appearance to LSU 20-13 in 1967; and won a Sun Bowl game vs. Florida State in 1966 28-20 (tel:1966 28-20). That's basically three bowl wins in the last 50 years (their next bowl appearance was in 1958).

So does this mean they have won 3 FCS championships?

AmsterBison
December 10th, 2013, 08:04 AM
If only there was some way Sam Houston could got to Fargo this year.... Oh, wait... Never mind. :D

It's an exciting venue. Fun place to watch a football game.

Dang, remember last time SHSU was in Fargo? That would have been an epic playoff game - right up their with the Georgia Southern game last year.

NDSUstudent
December 10th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Dang, remember last time SHSU was in Fargo? That would have been an epic playoff game - right up their with the Georgia Southern game last year.

Might have lost that game if SHSU didn't try to squib it down the field.