PDA

View Full Version : Bohl to Wyoming

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Drblankstare
December 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM
The whole coaching staff with one foot out the door. This is probably not going to turn out well for the Bison. Playoffs are so tough

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM
The assistant coaching list is conjecture from what I can tell so far. No one website it confirming any of them have accepted. I have sum faith they won't all leave but who knows.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
FWIW, Bohl says he's flying out to Wyoming today to meet the AD and members of the team and he'll be back in Fargo tomorrow morning with his #1 priority being winning a 3rd national title at NDSU.

I don't like this one bit. GT should tell him to stay there. This is bad for recruiting and a huge distraction.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
The whole coaching staff with one foot out the door. This is probably not going to turn out well for the Bison. Playoffs are so tough

Time for the seniors to take over and keep the team focused. I could see if there were only a couple seniors and mostly underclassmen but the makeup of this team is much different than most.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 10:41 AM
no your not, all of you think he walks on water anyway

You = No clue

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Sounds like he claims he's committed to this years Bison team.

Then the best thing may be for him to leave immediately. I understand the team loyalty, but the future of the program may be hurt if he stays. Despite playoff preparation, head coach is responsible for most important time of year for recruiting. I would wonder how Wyoming will view divided loyalty through the first week in January. Potential is there for him to make Wyoming offers to some NDSU recruits. Seems like a potential mess to me.

DSUrocks07
December 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I don't like this one bit. GT should tell him to stay there. This is bad for recruiting and a huge distraction.

Agreed, the sooner NDSU knows who their next coach will be the better. What recruit is going to want to commit to the Bison without knowing who the coach is going to be. And if they DON'T make it to Frisco, then its all for naught anyways. The longer Bohl stays the more it hurts both parties. Just cut the rope and make the move now.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Then the best thing may be for him to leave immediately. I understand the team loyalty, but the future of the program may be hurt if he stays. Despite playoff preparation, head coach is responsible for most important time of year for recruiting. I would wonder how Wyoming will view divided loyalty through the first week in January. Potential is there for him to make Wyoming offers to some NDSU recruits. Seems like a potential mess to me.

well that's great but there are 3 games left in a historic season. Somebody has to coach the team.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
NDSU will hold press conference this afternoon to address head coaching issue. Still no firm answer on who's coaching the team.

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/409725282883346432

knucklehead
December 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
FWIW, Bohl says he's flying out to Wyoming today to meet the AD and members of the team and he'll be back in Fargo tomorrow morning with his #1 priority being winning a 3rd national title at NDSU.

WOW, If he does this it does change my opinion of him a little. I'm glad he's staying through the playoffs, but man it would have been better if the hire could have been made after the playoffs.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
well that's great but there are 3 games left in a historic season. Somebody has to coach the team.

If Gene Taylor thinks his replacement is on the staff, then there is no reason for him to be here.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
It's too big a risk for him to stick around at this point. If NDSU loses on the field and too many recruits, it could potentially set the program back 5-6 years. It would reflect very poor judgement on the AD if he allowed it to happen.

DSUrocks07
December 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Well on a side note, if he does stay, then ESPN has yet another storyline to circlejerk over when airing NDSU games the next few weeks.

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Of course, but it doesn't have to be Bohl. Film study started today for next week and he's flying to Wyoming. Somebody is already doing extra duty.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
As a Wyoming fan at the FBS level, I am absolutely ecstatic, as I should be obviously. I hope Bohl gets the three-peat first at NDSU.

Wyoming is going to dominate the MWC in a couple years.
Yeah, all of our players will go to Wyoming and they will magically become a good program.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
You = No clue

so explain why this thread has 78 pages

gseagle
success come with a price...sucks doesn't it!

clenz
If Gene Taylor thinks his replacement is on the staff, then there is no reason for him to be here.

Agreed.

If Bohl coaches expect most/almost all assistants to be gone

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
If anyone can turn around Wyoming it is Coach Bohl. I hope he does turn them into a consistent winner.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I fail to see how having Bohl stay on until the season is over is a bad thing for NDSU. Does it hurt this year's recruiting class? Absolutely, but how many chances are you going to have to win a national title? I think it's a necessary sacrifice given the circumstances to maintain continuity for the 2013 team. Regardless of who's coming back or not, these coaches are professionals and should continue to act like it, if nothing else for the sake of the 24 seniors on this team who we know won't be back.

knucklehead
December 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
So, NDSU fans. If he stays around through the playoffs, is he the kind of guy that would use the next few weeks to hype Wyoming to his current players, or be NDSU all the way?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM

because the most successful coach of the team that has dominated FCS in the last 3 years is leaving the team in the middle of a championship run.

That might be a topic of interest.

Bison Fan in NW MN

Bison fans love their team, that's why.....not because we think Bohl walks on water...xthumbsdownx

texcap
The assistant coaching list is conjecture from what I can tell so far. No one website it confirming any of them have accepted. I have sum faith they won't all leave but who knows.
The problem with any of them committing to stay right now is that they have no idea who the next coach will be. If they commit to stay at NDSU and the new guy doesn't want them, or has someone else in mind for their position, then they will be lefting holding the short stick. If offered a job at WYO, any of the assistants should take that job so they are assured of having one next year. Once the new NDSU head coach is named, and it is someone they an work with then, and only then, should they express any interest in staying at NDSU.

This is a very dicey time for assitants because of the uncertainty. They really need to be looking out for themselves.

jacksfan29
December 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
It has but I say let him go and promote Vigen to finish it out. This is to big a distraction for the players.

By all accounts the Bison players are incredibly loyal to Bohl who by all accounts is a very classy, stand up guy. It may be a distraction for some of the younger team members who aren't real sure what their future holds. The Bison are lead by a big group of seniors who are leaders, as stated loyal to Bohl, loyal to NDSU, and they want to make a mark. They will be fine. I am of the mind that this will do the opposite of what many think. Pretty sure the team will be focused and that the Bison roll the rest of the way to a 3 peat.

That being said, I highly doubt that the way this was leaked made Bohl or the Wyoming adm very happy. I would also bet anything that the new head coach at NDSU is already on the current staff. Bison fans need to breathe. Your program is bigger then one person.

Besides, how the heck do you expect Bohl to turn down that kind of money, and that kind of challenge. If he can clean up Wyoming all kind of doors open for him. Including the one he likely wants more then anything, Nebraska.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
He claims this all came down this week. Not to poke the MPLS hornets nest but he sounded pretty pissed about having to practice outdoors this week.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I fail to see how having Bohl stay on until the season is over is a bad thing for NDSU. Does it hurt this year's recruiting class? Absolutely, but how many chances are you going to have to win a national title? I think it's a necessary sacrifice given the circumstances to maintain continuity for the 2013 team. Regardless of who's coming back or not, these coaches are professionals and should continue to act like it, if nothing else for the sake of the 24 seniors on this team who we know won't be back.

If GT thinks Vigen or Klieman is the guy he is going to hire then they should be the coach immediately. Why wait?

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
So, NDSU fans. If he stays around through the playoffs, is he the kind of guy that would use the next few weeks to hype Wyoming to his current players, or be NDSU all the way?
If you asked me this before yesterday. I really would say no. Now, I don't know. Could a few players transfer? Yes, especially the ones 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart. The chatter also says that he is trying to take as much of the staff as possible and the 5 is for media consumption..

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I just wish he wouldn't take our entire coaching staff with him...

Oh well, it is what it is.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 11:01 AM
If you asked me this before yesterday. I really would say no. Now, I don't know. Could a few players transfer? Yes, especially the ones 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart. The chatter also says that he is trying to take as much of the staff as possible and the 5 is for media consumption..

Yeah but would FCS backups be considered FBS worthy? There's a much bigger recruiting base when you're FBS.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Of course, but it doesn't have to be Bohl. Film study started today for next week and he's flying to Wyoming. Somebody is already doing extra duty.

If he has an ipad iPhone or laptop he can do the film study on his way. You don't need a projector

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
If GT thinks Vigen or Klieman is the guy he is going to hire then they should be the coach immediately. Why wait?
Because they're in the middle of a playoff run with an excellent chance to win a championship this year. It's not a very good time to start breaking in a new head coach with no previous experience.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I just wish he wouldn't take our entire coaching staff with him...

Oh well, it is what it is.

Depending on the new coach those assistants may not have a job on the staff next year.

The assistant coaches with for the hc more than the university. There contacts are usually tied to the hc. It's why you see a lot of coaches redo contacts but change nothing/little in their pay, instead they do it for more assistant pay/bonuses.

Is why when a coach gets fired the assistants are gone as well unless the new coach wants to bring them back.

They are tired to the university but much more so to the hc.

Don't know if I explained that well

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Pretty sure our coaching staff will be gutted when all is said and done.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Because they're in the middle of a playoff run with an excellent chance to win a championship this year. It's not a very good time to start breaking in a new head coach with no previous experience.

It isn't ideal but it is the right decision to make.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM
A lot of times new coaches don't coach in a bowl game. It happens so infrequently in fcs I've never noticed what schools do.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Pretty sure our coaching staff will be gutted when all is said and done.
Agreed without the staff, there is no way he makes it at Wyoming. Unless we get another west coast guy.. we are going to have players or commits leaving.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM
It isn't ideal but it is the right decision to make.
I disagree but we'll see. Sounds like it's not certain he's going to be allowed to continue to coach the team and Taylor will address the media this afternoon to discuss.

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
If he has an ipad iPhone or laptop he can do the film study on his way. You don't need a projector

The question is time. He's not just attending a reception. He's being hired for a high paying administrative job. He's going to be focused in two directions, and Wyoming will want his attention.

The other issue over the next month would be his assembling of a new staff at Wyoming. Very time consuming, and not something he, or Wyoming is going to want to wait on.

I'm not sure people realize how hard college coaches work.

kalm
December 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
If he stays he will be distracted and have less time for his former team.

swaghook
December 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Will this effect the team this year? With 24 seniors who will all be leaving the program regardless of the HC leaving it should not matter to them that the HC is moving on in life as well. Maturity is on this teams side for this one.

kalm
The question is time. He's not just attending a reception. He's being hired for a high paying administrative job. He's going to be focused in two directions, and Wyoming will want his attention.

The other issue over the next month would be his assembling of a new staff at Wyoming. Very time consuming, and not something he, or Wyoming is going to want to wait on.

I'm not sure people realize how hard college coaches work.

Beat me to it but this x 100

Vitojr130
By all accounts the Bison players are incredibly loyal to Bohl who by all accounts is a very classy, stand up guy. It may be a distraction for some of the younger team members who aren't real sure what their future holds. The Bison are lead by a big group of seniors who are leaders, as stated loyal to Bohl, loyal to NDSU, and they want to make a mark. They will be fine. I am of the mind that this will do the opposite of what many think. Pretty sure the team will be focused and that the Bison roll the rest of the way to a 3 peat.

That being said, I highly doubt that the way this was leaked made Bohl or the Wyoming adm very happy. I would also bet anything that the new head coach at NDSU is already on the current staff. Bison fans need to breathe. Your program is bigger then one person.

Besides, how the heck do you expect Bohl to turn down that kind of money, and that kind of challenge. If he can clean up Wyoming all kind of doors open for him. Including the one he likely wants more then anything, Nebraska.

I think the thing that gets most people is the fact that Bohl literally just signed an 8 year ext. on his contract and has been quoted as saying he was planning on staying. He has already turned down other big offers recently (like to NIU for example) and now he has backed out on his own word and commitment to us. Yes, he has done great things for the program and will be remembered as doing so, but the fact that he slapped the team and NDSU in the face with this will be remembered as well.

That being said, that IS a lot of money and I can't blame him. I'm glad he will get paid that much because he is a great head coach and NDSU can't afford that. But still..

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM
He might have just given this team all the fire they need to steamroll from here on out. They will be playing with an edge, a chip on their shoulder. This is going to be fun to watch, and from here on out we can be watching Coach's last game at NDSU.

Let's do this.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I don't think people realize that state law requires NDSU to have the position open for a period of time before they can even name a new coach. If he doesn't hire internally right now...the national search has to begin tomorrow. NDSU can't wait until January to find a coach.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 11:17 AM
He might have just given this team all the fire they need to steamroll from here on out. They will be playing with an edge, a chip on their shoulder. This is going to be fun to watch, and from here on out we can be watching Coach's last game at NDSU.

Let's do this.

This here.

Bison56
December 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Yes the timing sucks but how much of that was Bohl's decision?

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I don't think people realize that state law requires NDSU to have the position open for a period of time before they can even name a new coach. If he doesn't hire internally right now...the national search has to begin tomorrow. NDSU can't wait until January to find a coach.
That's an excellent point but I'm sure that can be worked around if a gentleman's agreement is made with Klieman or Vigen and they hold the offer for a few days to satisfy that requirement. I have no doubt that Taylor has already begun the process of securing the next head coach regardless of whether Bohl is going to coach this season of the year at NDSU or not.

Jackal
December 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
South Dakota has the same law,which you can get around by making an "emergency hire".

F'N Hawks
December 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
South Dakota has the same law,which you can get around by making an "emergency hire".

This.

And apparently UND is choosing not to use that "out". xrolleyesx

Hammersmith
December 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Depending on the new coach those assistants may not have a job on the staff next year.

The assistant coaches with for the hc more than the university. There contacts are usually tied to the hc. It's why you see a lot of coaches redo contacts but change nothing/little in their pay, instead they do it for more assistant pay/bonuses.

Is why when a coach gets fired the assistants are gone as well unless the new coach wants to bring them back.

They are tired to the university but much more so to the hc.

Don't know if I explained that well

I agree with your last couple posts. If Bohl coaches through the playoffs, it's because both Klieman(DC) and Vigen(OC) are going with him afterward. Also, a big part of the contract extension Bohl just signed with NDSU was to improve assistant pay. In retrospect, it makes me wonder if Bohl has been planning something like this since summer.

Drblankstare
December 8th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I still can't get over the fact it's Wyoming, nobody wins at Wyoming. Best of luck to him, but that's a tall order.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I still can't get over the fact it's Wyoming, nobody wins at Wyoming. Best of luck to him, but that's a tall order.

If anyone can do it, Coach Bohl can.

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I think you will find that Bohl was NOT the driving force behind the Bison, but an exceptional group of athletes/friends were.

A mere 24 hours ago Craig Bohl was one of the greatest coaches in the history of football.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 11:41 AM
A mere 24 hours ago Craig Bohl was one of the greatest coaches in the history of football.

He still is a great coach, here or Wyoming.

Anything else to add?

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
If I'm Gene I would have told Bohl to stay in Wyoming. That's obviously where his mind and allegiance is now with. Promote one of the coordinators to interum HC with the presumption that they will get a good shot at the position after the season and let the assistants decide if they are with NDSU or Bohl. There really is no way you can coach and recruit for 2 teams at the same time. That is a disaster waiting to happen!

MplsBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Bohl's decision is correct.

For the most simple reason that exists in college football coaching: if you've taken a program as far as it can possibly go....WHAT MORE IS THERE TO BE DONE???

There is no challenge at NDSU for Bohl. He could continue to take the best high school players in MN, WI, NE and the Dakotas that don't go to B1G schools and win a nearly unlimited amount of FCS games.

Until NDSU gets the balls to move to FBS, where it belongs - in the major leagues of college football - this is what it is. A great minor league coach getting the call up.

Good luck to Bohl in Wyoming. He can win the MWC in Laramie, I know it for fact.

Thank you for everything you've made NDSU!

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 11:44 AM
There is no way an FBS NDSU keeps coaches like Bohl either. Just look at BCS coaches moving to other BCS teams. It's just the nature of the business.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Wyoming isn't Boise State, TCU, or BYU but they aren't a complete **** program like NDSU fans want to paint it as.

The MWC isn't as strong as it was a couple years ago and Wyoming has done pretty well in conference play - it's their OOC that causes record issues because they play anyone they can (Texas, Oregon, Nebraska, Florida, Boise State (prior to them joining the MWC), etc... with home and homes with a lot of them.

The only teams in the MWC that they've consistantly struggled with is Boise State, TCU (When they were there), and Fresno State....teams that are pretty good.

Wyoming has averaged over 5 wins per season (average) since Joe Glenn's first year. No, that isn't amazing, but when you consider all they need is 6 to get to a bowl and getting to bowls will help with recruiting, especially the way Bohl and crew have shown they can recruit, I have no doubt Bohl will have Wyoming in the 7-8 win total yearly.

Is that 11-13 like he had at NDSU? No. However, in the FBS world 8 wins is a lot like 10-11 in the FCS.

Wyoming isn't a "sleeping giant", but in the MWC Boise State just lost Petersen, Fresno State is losing a very good senior class, TCU is gone, BYU is gone, SDSU isn't waht they were with Brady Hoke....It's pretty clear that there is a HUGE opportunity for Wyoming to get a lot better and get to the top of that conference real quick.....especially if there is anything to the B12 rumors.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Bohl's decision is correct.

For the most simple reason that exists in college football coaching: if you've taken a program as far as it can possibly go....WHAT MORE IS THERE TO BE DONE???

There is no challenge at NDSU for Bohl. He could continue to take the best high school players in MN, WI, NE and the Dakotas that don't go to B1G schools and win a nearly unlimited amount of FCS games.

Until NDSU gets the balls to move to FBS, where it belongs - in the major leagues of college football - this is what it is. A great minor league coach getting the call up.

Good luck to Bohl in Wyoming. He can win the MWC in Laramie, I know it for fact.

Thank you for everything you've made NDSU!

Wow....one of the few times I agree with you!

Not bad mpls.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2013, 11:46 AM
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the Bison 2014 signing class. You know he and any of the coaching staff that goes with him will be contacting their current commitments.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Wow....one of the few times I agree with you!

Not bad mpls.
Agree...

Was about to say the same.

I think I'll even hit mpls with a "like"

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the Bison 2014 signing class. You know he and any of the coaching staff that goes with him will be contacting their current commitments.
They can't contact them until the recruit contacts them first....which I can promise you is already/has already happened.

I don't follow recruiting closely but after some comments from people that do said it didn't look good on twitter I did some digging.

Yeah, the NDSU recruits are...well....less than sold on NDSU at this point. Wyoming (obvious), SDSU, UNI, USD, UND, SIU, MSU, etc... are likely all on the phones like crazy today.

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Absolutely! I think Bohl should get a bit of credit for wanting to see this thing through. At least he didn't pull a Brian Kelly or Dave Doeren and leave his team before a BCS bowl game.

kalm
December 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Absolutely! I think Bohl should get a bit of credit for wanting to see this thing through. At least he didn't pull a Brian Kelly or Dave Doeren and leave his team before a BCS bowl game.

So you're a Bohl is 1/2 full kind of guy?

(I'm sorry)

Tribal
December 8th, 2013, 12:05 PM

I wasn't aware a FBS conference invited NDSU. When did this occur?

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I think the thing that gets most people is the fact that Bohl literally just signed an 8 year ext. on his contract and has been quoted as saying he was planning on staying.

I wouldn't wipe my ass with the paper on which contract extensions and football coaching contracts are printed.

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM
He still is a great coach, here or Wyoming.

Anything else to add?

I agree. I'm a big fan of both Bohl and the Bison. It's just funny how his resume has changed since this news broke. xlolx

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I wasn't aware a FBS invited NDSU. Which conference invited the Bisons?
That's the issue. NDSU isn't right for any FBS conference, the stadium is small. Too far north for MW and too far west for the MAC. We aren't going anywhere. The fargo-moorhead market is enough to sustain a FBS school but the circumstances don't favor it..

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I agree. I'm a big fan of both Bohl and the Bison. It's just funny how his resume has changed since this news broke. xlolx
Yep...

In 24 hours he's gone from the best coach in the nation that was the reason NDSU was great to "Well, he didn't do much it was all because we are NDSU and the assistants

and

He is a great and stand up guy to he is classes and should rot in hell

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Wyoming is not going to Big 12 and to even think about it is laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SUPharmacist
December 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Who else wants an NDSU-Wyoming matchup sometime in the near future.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Didnt the Sun Belt send out open invitations this year?

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Who else wants an NDSU-Wyoming matchup sometime in the near future.

Not me.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Wyoming is not going to Big 12 and to even think about it is laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)
Wyoming is a smaller school than NDSU, SHSU, UM and a lot of the FCS. The only thing that they have going that each student pays a lot of athletic fees and only state school. (ND has 6). There is no way they even smell the Big 12. They are already incredibly over extended at the moment.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Yep...

In 24 hours he's gone from the best coach in the nation that was the reason NDSU was great to "Well, he didn't do much it was all because we are NDSU and the assistants

and

I'm surprised you concern trolls can stop shaking with delight long enough to type out a post.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm surprised you concern trolls can stop shaking with delight long enough to type out a post.
How am I trolling?

Have you read any of my posts?

Do you want me to pull quotes FROM THIS THREAD/FROM NDSU FANS that have said "he can rot in hell" and that the assistants did all of the work anyway and Bohl was a by prodcut of their work.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Wyoming is a smaller school than NDSU, SHSU, UM and a lot of the FCS. The only thing that they have going that each student pays a lot of athletic fees and only state school. (ND has 6). There is no way they even smell the Big 12. They are already incredibly over extended at the moment.
According to a UW release from March
Spring enrollment normally is lower than fall semester numbers. UW set a new enrollment record in the fall of 2012, with close to 14,000 students

They aren't huge, and the B12 is likely a stretch...but being the only show in the area can help a ton.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Yep...

and

When have I ever said he was the best coach in the nation?

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 12:29 PM

Anyone on this board who is a true FCS fan knows the current head coach at their school is most likely gone as soon as a better opportunity comes along. There are very few coaches who have success who stay in place long-term at this level.

I'm simply not sure why anybody at NDSU thought Bohl was an exception.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM
According to a UW release from March

They aren't huge, and the B12 is likely a stretch...but being the only show in the area can help a ton.
Agreed, they have the same advantage NDSU has over UNI x5. They really should belong in the big sky, the stretch is the MW. They are not going to do any better. Baylor the smallest university in the Big 12 (15k+ students) is an elite private university with an endowment over a billion and located in texas...
Edit: Its TCU with 9k students (endowment 1.2 billon) but they are supported by Fort Worth(750k people).

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Anyone on this board who is a true FCS fan knows the current head coach at their school is most likely gone as soon as a better comes along. There are very few coaches who have success who stay in place long-term at this level.

UNI's coach Farley is a UNI alum, an all conference player at UNI, been at UNI as a coach or player since 1983 sans the three years he went with Terry Allen to Kansas from 1997-2000. He was a player from 83-86 and has two degrees from UNI. He interviewed for the NIU job the year that Kill got it. He's already left UNI once. I would love to think that he is going to be at UNI forever (and he will have a contact from UNI as long as he wants one). However, if he wins a title at UNI and gets a look from an FBS school I wouldn't be shocked if he took it.

UNI had a basketball coach (that NDSU fans should know about) in Greg McDermott that is a UNI alum and former player (pretty good player for UNI actually). He coached at UNI, called it his dream job, helped turn the program from **** to a consistent contender in the MVC...called UNI a his dream job and less than a week later LEFT FOR ****ING IOWA STATE. Then a couple years later when **** went south at Iowa State (and his son Doug McDermott, whom I'm sure you've heard of) was just weeks from enrolling at UNI for summer classes having signed a LOI), he took a job at HUGE CONFERENCE RIVAL CREIGHTON AND TOOK HIS SON WITH HIM. Things worked out okay with North Dakota native (and D2 All American at UND Ben Jacobson at the helm...who also has a lifetime contract with UNI as long as he wants it). However, he interviewed for the TAMU job a couple years ago and was one 2 finalists before he turned it down to stay at UNI. He's turned down a lot of jobs to stay at UNI. He is only 40 and has well over 100 career wins...if he is still at UNI 10 years from now I'll **** myself. He loves Cedar Falls, his family loves Cedar Falls, Cedar Falls will bend over backwards twice to keep him, but in the end that means pretty much nothing

When it comes to football and basketball coaches there is very little loyalty anywhere - on the coach or university side.

SUPharmacist
December 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM

I don't think most thought he was an exception. A lot believed it would be better timing (not likely as you are most marketable at your peak and schools need their new coach right away for recruiting), but our biggest delusion was that he would only leave for a big time school. Money motivates everything and lower FBS conferences can open doors into BCS conference that the FCS will not.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Agreed, they have the same advantage NDSU has over UNI x5.
A hundred times this.

UNI is closer to the Twin Cities than Fargo...

I've said it before but if someone really wanted too they could leave Cedar Falls at 4-5AM and make an 11 AM kick off at Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, Northwestern, a game at Arrowhead, Kansas, Kansas State (pushing it some for an 11 but noon easy), Notre Dame, and Purdue (Indiana is only an hour outside the given window) with an an almost endless number of D2, D3, NAIA, and MAC schools within that same time frame or just another hour or two further.

The state of Iowa has about 35 college football programs in it. The advantage NDSU has being the only real show in town could be exactly what Wyoming has if it is recruited with correctly - and Bohl and crew know how to do that.

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Some of you are completely missing the point. NDSU fans haven't said one thing about Bohl leaving and if he did it after the end of the season everyone would wish him well. The fact is he **** on the players, fans, and school by leaving in the middle of the playoff run. Why are some of you too stupid to get that?
Can you imagine the outcry by the media if the Butler or TCU basketball coaches left after advancing to the sweet 16? It's the same thing for god's sake.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I don't think most thought he was an exception. A lot believed it would be better timing (not likely as you are most marketable at your peak and schools need their new coach right away for recruiting), but our biggest delusion was that he would only leave for a big time school. Money motivates everything and lower FBS conferences can open doors into BCS conference that the FCS will not.
FCS can get you there but it's very rare.

UNI had Terry Allen (and Farley) go to Kansas in 1997
YSU had Tressel go to Ohio State in 2001
San Diego had Harbaugh go to Stanford 2007 (he also went from an asst at WKU when they were FCS to the Raiders in 2002 then to San Diego in 2004)

I don't know of many others that have happened

semobison
December 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
UNI's coach Farley is a UNI alum, an all conference player at UNI, been at UNI as a coach or player since 1983 sans the three years he went with Terry Allen to Kansas from 1997-2000. He was a player from 83-86 and has two degrees from UNI. He interviewed for the NIU job the year that Kill got it. He's already left UNI once. I would love to think that he is going to be at UNI forever (and he will have a contact from UNI as long as he wants one). However, if he wins a title at UNI and gets a look from an FBS school I wouldn't be shocked if he took it.

UNI had a basketball coach (that NDSU fans should know about) in Greg McDermott that is a UNI alum and former player (pretty good player for UNI actually). He coached at UNI, called it his dream job, helped turn the program from **** to a consistent contender in the MVC...called UNI a his dream job and less than a week later LEFT FOR ****ING IOWA STATE. Then a couple years later when **** went south at Iowa State (and his son Doug McDermott, whom I'm sure you've heard of) was just weeks from enrolling at UNI for summer classes having signed a LOI), he took a job at HUGE CONFERENCE RIVAL CREIGHTON AND TOOK HIS SON WITH HIM. Things worked out okay with North Dakota native (and D2 All American at UND Ben Jacobson at the helm...who also has a lifetime contract with UNI as long as he wants it). However, he interviewed for the TAMU job a couple years ago and was one 2 finalists before he turned it down to stay at UNI. He's turned down a lot of jobs to stay at UNI. He is only 40 and has well over 100 career wins...if he is still at UNI 10 years from now I'll **** myself. He loves Cedar Falls, his family loves Cedar Falls, Cedar Falls will bend over backwards twice to keep him, but in the end that means pretty much nothing

When it comes to football and basketball coaches there is very little loyalty anywhere - on the coach or university side.

There is very little loyalty in any job once you start talking salaries!

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Some of you are completely missing the point. NDSU fans haven't said one thing about Bohl leaving and if he did it after the end of the season everyone would wish him well. The fact is he **** on the players, fans, and school by leaving in the middle of the playoff run. Why are some of you too stupid to get that?
Can you imagine the outcry by the media if the Butler or TCU basketball coaches left after advancing to the sweet 16? It's the same thing for god's sake.
It's not...that's the thing.

It is in the fact the timing isn't ideal....

However, it's not because of how recruiting works. Basketball is heavy on summer/fall recruiting. I believe there actually may be a dead period during the NCAA tournament. The school won't lost any recruiting time by not getting him hired right away.

It's completely different in football where December/January are where the biggest recruiting push periods are

SUPharmacist
December 8th, 2013, 12:53 PM

I despise it as well, but it is not the same thing. This has happened so many times in college football that it is routine. It is not classy, and it is awful to players, but it has become routine. Bohl was a good coach for NDSU, it may lead to some lean years, then again I could see the program continuing to contend in the valley every year due to location, we shall see.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 12:53 PM
How am I trolling?

Have you read any of my posts?

Do you want me to pull quotes FROM THIS THREAD/FROM NDSU FANS that have said "he can rot in hell" and that the assistants did all of the work anyway and Bohl was a by prodcut of their work.

You have literally 5 times as many posts in this thread alone in the last 16 hrs than you have in the last week. Suddenly you're interested in AGS again.

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
It's not...that's the thing.

It is in the fact the timing isn't ideal....

However, it's not because of how recruiting works. Basketball is heavy on summer/fall recruiting. I believe there actually may be a dead period during the NCAA tournament. The school won't lost any recruiting time by not getting him hired right away.

It's completely different in football where December/January are where the biggest recruiting push periods are

Bohl will have almost zero influence on the current recruiting class at Wyoming and will be given a free pass. His recruiting will not start until next year anyway.

texcap
December 8th, 2013, 12:57 PM

He is taking the job now because that is when it is being offered. You call many of us "too stupid" to get that you are upset because he is leaving in the middle of the playoff run. What those of us that are "too stupid" to understand can't figure out is why you are "too stupid" to understand that the people hiring get to make the timing decisions and almost every available head coaching job that is available at FBS schools will be filled during the playoff run. If he wants to get one of those jobs, and it sure looks like he does, he has to make that decision now, whether you like that (or get it( or not.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
You have literally 5 times as many posts in this thread alone in the last 16 hrs than you have in the last week. Suddenly you're interested in AGS again.
Um....

I haven't left AGS or been disinterested. There just wasn't **** worth talking about. I didn't give a **** about the games this week. This....this has been worth talking about. Again, I've been reasonable the entire ****ing topic. I'm sorry that you consider having a rational discussion as trolling.....

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Here's a list of the coaching changes that went well for both parties:

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM
He is taking the job now because that is when it is being offered. You call many of us "too stupid" to get that you are upset because he is leaving in the middle of the playoff run. What those of us that are "too stupid" to understand can't figure out is why you are "too stupid" to understand that the people hiring get to make the timing decisions and almost every available head coaching job that is available at FBS schools will be filled during the playoff run. If he wants to get one of those jobs, and it sure looks like he does, he has to make that decision now, whether you like that (or get it( or not.

Exactly.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Um....

I haven't left AGS or been disinterested. There just wasn't **** worth talking about. I didn't give a **** about the games this week. This....this has been worth talking about. Again, I've been reasonable the entire ****ing topic. I'm sorry that you consider having a rational discussion as trolling.....
Clenz has been reasonable. Maybe not entirely but he cheers for our biggest football rivals...

SactoHornetFan
December 8th, 2013, 01:06 PM
The only thing that will prevent coaches leaving like this is to change the recruiting period. I say have signing day the first Monday in November. Everyone's season is still going on and for high school seniors, you pretty much know what you've got in a recruit at that point. You don't need another month of just playoffs to figure out if a kid is D-I worthy. Because if a coach hasn't figured it out at that point, they chances are they aren't that good of a college coach, YMMV.

December 8th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I thought the chance of Bohl leaving at the end of this season good. If you are going to make a move making it when you are loosing the core, 24 seniors, of your team is a likely time. I do not understand the Wyoming choice. I also do not understand the timing. If the Bison do not win that 3rd championship it will be blamed on this foolish timing. That would be a black mark, forever, on his record in Fargo.

jmrepak
December 8th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Here's a list of the coaching changes that went well for both parties:
Hahaha

Every time i think about this it brings me back to when Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez . That blew up in everyone's faces. WVU lost to Pitt and it cost them a trip to the BCS championship, and for Michigan it was a disaster.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Hahaha

Every time i think about this it brings me back to when Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez . That blew up in everyone's faces. WVU lost to Pitt and it cost them a trip to the BCS championship, and for Michigan it was a disaster.
Should have thrown the world at Les...

****ing Dick Rod set the program back his 3 years PLUS at least 4 or 5 more at least trying to fix it.

Walter Hadler
December 8th, 2013, 01:31 PM
The Bison have engrained a system that will the next HC will be able to pick up and move on. The cupboard isn't bare.

srgrizizen
December 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Good luck to Bohl and NDSU. The way NDSU dominated the 2nd half Saturday shows a coach who knows what adjustments to make. He deserves to take what I assume is a huge raise, although he will be hard pressed to duplicate his success at NDSU.
Just ask Joe Glenn.

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM
xpopcornx

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
How come no one is talking about Lehigh?

Bison56
December 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Who?

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
What kind of an animal is that?

WM2001
December 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Didn't read through the pages but am curious as to why NDSU didn't pay him what he's worth. He basically tripled your athletics budget, no?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM

Lehigh wrestling?

Now, that is a good program.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Clenz has been reasonable. Maybe not entirely but he cheers for our biggest football rivals...

Ha.

He hates everything NDSU...period.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Ha.

He hates everything NDSU...period.
You clearly haven't read a single post of mine in this thread and hate everything I say no matter what it may be....period.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Didn't read through the pages but am curious as to why NDSU didn't pay him what he's worth. He basically tripled your athletics budget, no?

No matter what. Wyoming is breaking the bank and NDSU couldn't compete at all. 1.5-2 million

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 02:23 PM
You clearly haven't read a single post of mine in this thread and hate everything I say no matter what it may be....period.

Actually I have.

Still doesn't change what I said.

Drblankstare
December 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
No matter what. Wyoming is breaking the bank and NDSU couldn't compete at all. 1.5-2 million
You just have to shrug your shoulders about the money, not a lot Gene Taylor can do. Wyoming must have some very generous donors.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM
You just have to shrug your shoulders about the money, not a lot Gene Taylor can do. Wyoming must have some very generous donors.

Who is top paid in FCS

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Actually I have.

Still doesn't change what I said.
Clearly you can't actually read what I say with any amount of rationality.

You hate everything related to me....period.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Who is top paid in FCS
Farley was just under 350 base for FY2013

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Clearly you can't actually read what I say with any amount of rationality.

You hate everything related to me....period.

Cry me a river clenzy boy.

Your bull**it salvos in the past about NDSU will always 'taint' anything you say about the program.

sandman01240
December 8th, 2013, 02:37 PM
#MissionMustache boys.

If the reports on Klieman and Vigen are true, Lennon would bring a full staff with him, along with extensive Valley knowledge.

Drblankstare
December 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM
#MissionMustache boys.

If the reports on Klieman and Vigen are true, Lennon would bring a full staff with him, along with extensive Valley knowledge.
I hope to god your kidding.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
There was a report yesterday that Brock Spack (ISUr)was in town interviewing for the Wyoming job. ISU tweeted that he was in Bloomington not Wyoming. I thought that was a good indicator he was gone. That's one of the few denial rumors that turn out As a rumor

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM
In North Dakota today.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM
The truth is we could have bumped him to 350-400k base and with bonuses that could have him make 600k(some reports say he made close to 500k on a NC run with endorsements and bonuses), he would still take a 1.5-2 million job. Plus there would be a lot of whining in ND about his salary. We will have to throw more money at the coach and I am not sure if that can bring us any results like the last 2.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 02:53 PM
There was a report yesterday that Brock Spack (ISUr)was in town interviewing for the Wyoming job. ISU tweeted that he was in Bloomington not Wyoming. I thought that was a good indicator he was gone. That's one of the few denial rumors that turn out As a rumor
Bohl was the top of their list. They managed to throw enough money to make it possible..

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2013, 03:10 PM
In North Dakota today.

Why? They still have a football team and a spot in the playoffs next Saturday morning. It's not like NDSU fired a all-time great coach and moved to FBS or something xlolx

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2013, 03:10 PM
It's Wyoming....

Better Trout fishing?

superman7515
December 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Good Lord Bohl wouldn't take that ****ty job but nice try.

This here BB.

Wyoming sucks. No way would Bohl go there.

Wyoming? ROFL you cant make up something more retarded. Voteban.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't buy it...remember the last paragraph in the NYT article a couple of weeks ago?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/sports/ncaafootball/winning-with-panache-at-north-dakota-state.html?_r=0

If true and someone leaked it Bohl should to the right thing and back out on the offer. Can't allow someone to leak this.

Although I am instantly thinking back to the thousands of posts on here saying Bohl wouldn't EVER leave NDSU....EVER

So now that I've finally finished my 8 hours of laughing at this thread to the point I'm hoarse, I'm actually a little sad...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ErIHFtEZHhA/UB5ojUXSNaI/AAAAAAAACGU/eA0wS0AhEyA/s1600/crying-indian.gif

What does it say about the FCS when a two-time NC winning coach, probably on his way to a 3rd straight title, goes on record saying he wouldn't leave, but then takes off because the Wyoming Cowboys, who haven't won a major bowl game since the 1966 Sun Bowl, are a bigger deal than back-to-back-to-back championships at this level...

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM
What does it say about the FCS when a two-time NC winning coach, probably on his way to a 3rd straight title, goes on record saying he wouldn't leave, but then takes off because the Wyoming Cowboys, who haven't won a major bowl game since the 1966 Sun Bowl, are a bigger deal than back-to-back-to-back championships at this level...

Says money talks if it's 4-5 times more than you were making.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
So now that I've finally finished my 8 hours of laughing at this thread to the point I'm hoarse, I'm actually a little sad...

This is about money and a stepping stone for Bohl. I'd be surprised if he stays at Wyoming more then 4-5 years.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I guess there's only one thing to do then......

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/290/856/856290.jpg

WIN THE WHOLE ****IN' THING!

Obzerver
December 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
This is about money and a stepping stone for Bohl. I'd be surprised if he stays at Wyoming more then 4-5 years.

I could see it's about the money...nice raise. But stepping stone to where?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdcTDi9-VEZ2lBtbwYBF3tj9gijOtqVvuArZxMqDb2hdE-Sbr9

Wyoming
December 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVSLjySmiI

you gonna be alright mon....

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdcTDi9-VEZ2lBtbwYBF3tj9gijOtqVvuArZxMqDb2hdE-Sbr9
Obviously a bigger program...

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 04:59 PM

Nebraska

DSUrocks07
December 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Well, now NDSU has their built in excuse should they not win the title this year.

Tribal
December 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Could be a sign of the times. Our coach was hired by Boston College (actually took the job but immediately returned to W&M) and, I think, Navy but stayed in Williamsburg. Some things mean more than money.

Green1
December 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Well, now NDSU has their built in excuse should they not win the title this year.

Whew! I was really worried about not having an excuse!

Honesty, some of you posters say the dumbest ****.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM

wealth

DSUrocks07
December 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Whew! I was really worried about not having an excuse!

Honesty, some of you posters say the dumbest ****.

And some of you posters are so sensitive xcoffeex

Bison56
December 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM

xnutsx

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
YOOOOO LMFAAAAOOOOOOOOOOO

Bison56
December 8th, 2013, 05:42 PM
The only positive for lack of a better term is that this happned now vs a day or two before the game.

Green1
December 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
And some of you posters are so sensitive xcoffeex

I have to admit, my tolerance of stupidity is pretty low...

underdawg
December 8th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I guess I'm not up with the latest news--Is or is not Bohl still coaching through the play-offs?

Green1
December 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I guess I'm not up with the latest news--Is or is not Bohl still coaching through the play-offs?

Sound like Bohl and coaching staff will be with the team through the playoffs. Weird situation.

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sound like Bohl and coaching staff will be with the team through the playoffs. Weird situation.

The players VOTED on it and said they want the whole team through the playoffs, Coach Bohl and the assistants.

underdawg
December 8th, 2013, 06:14 PM
When we lost Kill to NIU he was hired before our semifinal loss to Deleware but the hire was not announced till after the Saluki run--I just think it's damn weird and frankly a bit awful way to treat Bison fans---how you think he will be greeted by fans Saturday?

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Kinda like breaking up with a girl, but sticking around to be her date for a few weddings. Awkward...

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Bohl already has OC, DC and DE coach going with him. Gene talked to them and they won't stay.. He will possibly try to take a few more.
Also salary is only 750k base, not 1.5. May get over 1 million with incentives.

Edit: Also looks like he might get the OLine, Line Backer and Recruiting Coordinator with him..

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Better Trout fishing?

No, actually a cheerleader behind every tree (more trees in Wyoming)!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Kinda like breaking up with a girl, but sticking around to be her date for a few weddings. Awkward...

I'm still trying to figure out who is digging this the most. You sure seem pretty giddy these days.

To use your analogy. They'll still win the NC that's like having the most epic break up sex and jizzing in her hair so her new BF can see.

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who is digging this the most. You sure seem pretty giddy these days.

To use your analogy. They'll still win the NC that's like having the most epic break up sex and jizzing in her hair so her new BF can see.

Um, thats an EPIC analogy!!

Green1
December 8th, 2013, 06:27 PM
When we lost Kill to NIU he was hired before our semifinal loss to Deleware but the hire was not announced till after the Saluki run--I just think it's damn weird and frankly a bit awful way to treat Bison fans---how you think he will be greeted by fans Saturday?

I'm not sure. There was a lot of anger when tweets and texts started flying around of Bohl's acceptance of the WY job. Mainly the timing of it all. I don't think Bison fans begrudge the coach leaving for a perceived opportunity, just the effects it has on a potential playoff run.

Some of this anger is tempered by the phenomenal job Bohl has done over the past 11 years. Time heals all wounds. I don't know if enough time will have past by this Saturday for all the fans to be able to look past this heartbreak and show our appreciation of the time Coach Bohl has spent here.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 06:31 PM

As much as I think NDSU has some HOF internet braggarts, having played, I respect their on field performance and what they have accomplished. I would like to see them lose because, frankly it would be fun to see your reaction, but I don't want them to lose due to this. I feel bad for the players as it would be a very tough situation having worked your ass off for 4 years and being so close to going down in the record books as one of the top 5 FCS classes of all time, to have it ripped away because your head coach, the guy you have spent 4 years giving everything you have to, wanted to pursue financial stability. I will now be rooting for NDSU (feels weird to say) because they have gone from being like the 2007 Patriots to now potentially being an underdog story. It would be very dramatic to see them pull together as a team and win the whole thing. I can appreciate that. I will have to put up with your incessant chest beating because of it, but I know that they will be nowhere near as dominant the next few years. Your analogy was much better than mine btw...

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty well over it. I just want the boys to win, to go out on top. I would feel better if Bohl was just leaving asap but I defer to the players. It hurts the assistants are leaving with him, I still have yet to see confirmation from said coaches but I'm sure its a done deal. Tough way to end what has been a perfect year so far. My bug light purchasing next year may see a slight uptick lol.

Go Bison!

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty well over it. I just want the boys to win, to go out on top. I would feel better if Bohl was just leaving asap but I defer to the players. It hurts the assistants are leaving with him, I still have yet to see confirmation from said coaches but I'm sure its a done deal. Tough way to end what has been a perfect year so far. My bug light purchasing next year may see a slight uptick lol.

Go Bison!
Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) 5h (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/409764745613283328) Reliable source says Vigen, Klieman, Cooper are already headed to Wyoming to be on Bohl's staff. Sounds like nationwide search on tap to me.

Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) 5h (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/409764901167439872)
I would have thought Vigen or Klieman would have been a possible successor, but doesn't sound like that will be the case.

underdawg
December 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Ditto--I think the rest of the Valley fans feel for Bison fans everywhere.

slycat
December 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM
This is thread of the year. I'm kind of surprised he left to Wyoming. But its a good job. If he succeeds there he will get big offers. Could see a Kansas St or Nebraska type job. Glad we played Wyoming this year and don't have to go against a Bohls coached team.

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) 5h (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/409764745613283328) Reliable source says Vigen, Klieman, Cooper are already headed to Wyoming to be on Bohl's staff. Sounds like nationwide search on tap to me.

Jeff Kolpack ‏@FGOSPORTSWRITER (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER) 5h (https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/409764901167439872)
I would have thought Vigen or Klieman would have been a possible successor, but doesn't sound like that will be the case.

Like I said, figured it was a done deal. Oh well, new chapter for Bison next year. Done it before, do it again.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Like I said, figured it was a done deal. Oh well, new chapter for Bison next year. Done it before, do it again.
He is also trying to take another 4 coaches for a grand total of 7. Isn't even trying to leave us crumbs..

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 07:03 PM
He is also trying to take another 4 coaches for a grand total of 7. Isn't even trying to leave us crumbs..

Its fine. Good luck to them all in Wyoming. I'm sure our new HC will bring coaches with him. A national search should bring some nice names to table. It isn't the end of the Bison, just a new chapter.

JayJ79
December 8th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Ditto--I think the rest of the Valley fans feel for Bison fans everywhere.

nah. A coach moved on. That's just how it works. People are treating it like it is some sort of tragedy, which is silly.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 07:40 PM
nah. A coach moved on. That's just how it works. People are treating it like it is some sort of tragedy, which is silly.

Ill bet they don't go 1-11 next year.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM

It is a tragedy, the valley just lost their only title contender for a few years. The rest of you guys suck.

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Why is everyone abandoning ship? Getting out before a media bomb hits the fan? Hmmmxchinscratchx

JayJ79
December 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
It is a tragedy, the valley just lost their only title contender for a few years. The rest of you guys suck.

NDSU wasn't going to be in title contention next season regardless of who was coaching in Fargo.
and you guys suck sheep.

Tribal
December 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Except you find out too late that she already had unprotect sex with her new boyfriend and now you're at the doctor's office wondering why your pee pee burns when you urinate.

NoDak 4 Ever
Why is everyone abandoning ship? Getting out before a media bomb hits the fan? Hmmmxchinscratchx

They were a pretty tight group. Also, probably doubling their salaries won't hurt.

Bison56
Ouch

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM
They were a pretty tight group. Also, probably doubling their salaries won't hurt.

Im just surprised one of the coordinators didn't already take the HC job. Unless they will after the playoffs. I would assume the HC at NDSU makes more than a coordinator at Wyo

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Ya but your National Champions have never beat the Dumpster fire of the MVFC in the FargoDome

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Because that's what coaching staff generally do when a head coach switches schools. If they stick around without knowing who the next head coach is they have no idea if they'll have a job and when your former coach is offering you a guaranteed position and a hefty raise it's not rocket science to see what would be more appealing. I'd guarantee that Taylor will talk to both Vigen and Klieman to gauge their interest but they may be content with following Bohl to Wyoming. Regardless, NDSU is an attractive position relative to the FCS so I'm sure they'll hire a talented coach.

On another note, one thing I'm wondering is what if the Bison do end up making it to Frisco? Does Gene Taylor hire the new head coach basically as a recruiter while Bohl continues to do the game week work? Does the new coach sit on practices/meetings and get on the sideline to get an idea of how things are worked under Bohl's staff to give him ideas going forward? I think this is an awkward situation but it is advantageous to NDSU. I can't imagine that Wyoming likes it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM
NDSU wasn't going to be in title contention next season regardless of who was coaching in Fargo.
and you guys suck sheep.

Next year's Bison team is going to be good.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM
posted to Bisonville.

Picture of seniors being announced this past year during Senior Day. Have fun coach!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbAJAJdCQAAactE.jpg:large

aces1180
December 8th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Ya but your National Champions have never beat the Dumpster fire of the MVFC in the FargoDome

The Bison have never beat ISU-B in the Fargodome? Look at the dates 11/1/08 or 10/23/08.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Because that's what coaching staff generally do when a head coach switches schools. If they stick around without knowing who the next head coach is they have no idea if they'll have a job and when your former coach is offering you a guaranteed position and a hefty raise it's not rocket science to see what would be more appealing. I'd guarantee that Taylor will talk to both Vigen and Klieman to gauge their interest but they may be content with following Bohl to Wyoming. Regardless, NDSU is an attractive position relative to the FCS so I'm sure they'll hire a talented coach.

On another note, one thing I'm wondering is what if the Bison do end up making it to Frisco? Does Gene Taylor hire the new head coach basically as a recruiter while Bohl continues to do the game week work? Does the new coach sit on practices/meetings and get on the sideline to get an idea of how things are worked under Bohl's staff to give him ideas going forward? I think this is an awkward situation but it is advantageous to NDSU. I can't imagine that Wyoming likes it.

Regarding the 2nd part. I'd say yes he would probably just watch. It would be tough for a non connected coach to come in and coach a game like that. I can't think of a bowl game a new coach came in and coached. You always see them in the press box or standing outside the team box.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM
The Bison have never beat ISU-B in the Fargodome? Look at the dates 11/1/08 or 10/23/08.

I thought Richmond won it all that year.

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 08:03 PM
posted to Bisonville.

Picture of seniors being announced this past year during Senior Day. Have fun coach!

That is brutal.

jmrepak
December 8th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I don't know the context of the original post, but yes The UofR Spiders won it in 2008

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Regarding the 2nd part. I'd say yes he would probably just watch. It would be tough for a non connected coach to come in and coach a game like that. I can't think of a bowl game a new coach came in and coached. You always see them in the press box or standing outside the team box.
I don't mean that the new coach would have any responsibilities during game week preparation or on game day, he'd just have an inside view of how Bohl and company prepare during the week and handle the team on game day. I'm not sure if Bohl would allow that but I would think it would be a great way to get a new coach acclimated to a style that has obviously worked well for his predecessor.

Daved
December 8th, 2013, 08:08 PM
posted to Bisonville.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbAJAJdCQAAactE.jpg:largeFortunately the weather was good that day or the turnout may have been a lot worse.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Bohl offered them 200K+ base

Closer to triple

Im just surprised one of the coordinators didn't already take the HC job. Unless they will after the playoffs. I would assume the HC at NDSU makes more than a coordinator at Wyo

That is true but if it turns out that the assistants are making 300, they could all easily translate to a Big 10,12 school in 3-4 years which will further double/triple their salaries or make HC at a lower FBS school.

jmrepak
December 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM
posted to Bisonville.

Wow. That is horrible. I'm pretty sure Coastal's low attended first round game had more attendance that.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM

When you have very little success you get very good at pointing out statistics that make you look good. I meant your actual national championship teams.

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
What does that work out - the HC and assts at 300K apiece avg - to the total pop of Wyoming?

aces1180
December 8th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Your post implied that NDSU had never beat ISU-B in the Fargodome...If you were talking about the 2012 only, then yes, NDSU lost to ISU-B at home.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Your post implied that NDSU had never beat ISU-B in the Fargodome...If you were talking about the 2012 only, then yes, NDSU lost to ISU-B at home.

Yes I put enough caveats on it to make it true.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM
What does that work out - the HC and assts at 300K apiece avg - to the total pop of Wyoming?
Actually about the same as before with incentives. About 200k to assistants and 750k to Bohl. The rumors of 1.5 million aren't true. Maybe a total of 15-20% increase across the board.
Mike Vorel ‏@mikevorel (https://twitter.com/mikevorel) 3h (https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/409831700558934017) @MindOfGMJ (https://twitter.com/MindOfGMJ) Bohl made 350K with bonuses last year. His 750K this time is base. He'll likely make over 1M with incentives.
So really Wyoming hasn't thrown much money at this deal except maybe raising the salary of the assistants

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Ok, well Jackson Hole has good taxable base I guess right?

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Ok, well Jackson Hole has good taxable base I guess right?
Did more digging, assistants making 275k. That is why they don't want the NDSU HC, its a wash with lower expectations...

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Wow, in history of AGS has thread started same day hit 100 pages?

JSUBison
December 8th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, in history of AGS has thread started same day hit 100 pages?

Good question. All I know is that during the peak, the thread officially hit escape velocity. I'd near the end and hit next page thinking it was the last one, and two more unread pages showed up. I couldn't keep up.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2013, 08:47 PM
and you guys suck sheep.

UNI has had 30 years and they still can't do it.

ST_Lawson
December 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM
posted to Bisonville.

Damn, and I thought our attendance was bad lately. Even winning two games a year we'd still pull more people than that at a Thanksgiving break game.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 09:13 PM
UNI has had 30 years and they still can't do it.
We probably never will....most UNI fans have accepted that.

If there was ever a team that could find a new way to be snake bitten every single year it's UNI.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM

If there was ever a team that could find a new way to be snake bitten every single year it's UNI.

You said it all right there.

Difference between UNI and NDSU.

TCisMYhero
December 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Well that, and we still have our coach. Trollol.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 09:21 PM
You said it all right there.

Difference between UNI and NDSU.Um...

The players and coaches aren't the fans.

It very well could happen, but as a fan I've come to realize that the chances of it ever happening are very very slim. Go back to 2005 and I can name examples of stupid **** that cost UNI a title in 05, 07, 08, 09, and 13. UNI wouldn't have won titles every year listed, but there was stupid **** that seems to only happen at UNI that ended the season.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Well that, and we still have our coach. Trollol.

You say that like it's a good thing.

Daved
December 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM

If there was ever a team that could find a new way to be snake bitten every single year it's UNI.If they hire a professional hypnotist that can trick them into thinking every team is YSU they will be unstoppable.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 09:29 PM
If they hire a professional hypnotist that can trick them into thinking every team is YSU they will be unstoppable.
Lol, they have your number. Has YSU thought about OVC?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Lol, they have your number. Has YSU thought about OVC?

Pioneer?

MplsBison
December 8th, 2013, 09:32 PM

If the rule were to be lifted, I'd like to see NDSU jump up as an independent in football.

slostang
December 8th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Come on, only 5 more pages and this thread will reach triple digits.

JayJ79
December 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM
If the rule were to be lifted, I'd like to see NDSU jump up as an independent in football.

I highly doubt that rule will be lifted. If anything, the divisions/subdivisions will be reconfigured (the big money conferences in their own group, and the second-tier FBS programs essentially merging with the FCS) before they ever lift that rule

LehighU11
December 8th, 2013, 10:00 PM

Better get used to hearing C-A-A, C-A-A, C-A-A... again

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Come on, only 5 more pages and this thread will reach triple digits.
Really trying here but I am over it.
Cliffs-
Bohl is going to stay till the playoff run ends
He will make 750k base at wyoming
His assistants will make 275k
He already has 3 coaches going, likely 6 or 7
What else is there to be talked about?

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I'm really confused as to how the recruiting will work at Wyoming if Bohl stays . Will he send his newly hired assistants to go recruit? I can't imagine Wyoming allowing him to take a completely hands off approach potentially thru First week of Jan.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Better get used to hearing C-A-A, C-A-A, C-A-A... again

Damn cheerful geneticists yelling out a protein code for glutamine. (And yes, I'm both ashamed and proud that I remembered that codon).

Wyoming
December 8th, 2013, 11:13 PM
http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120813aaa.html

This is the stream of Coach's presser at Wyoming. I just want to say.... there was a lot of love for NDSU given out by coach for his NDSU team as he teared up.

Much respect. Presser starts at 4 min in..... and a good interview at 28 min as so....

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120813aaa.html

This is the stream of Coach's presser at Wyoming. I just want to say.... there was a lot of love for NDSU given out by coach for his NDSU team as he teared up.

Much respect. Presser starts at 4 min in..... and a good interview at 28 min as so....
Go away. No one cares. No one will accept you here. You are wasting your time. This PR move by Wyoming to let him stay doesn't change the fact you are gutting our program. we have no respect for you.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:47 PM
I highly doubt that rule will be lifted. If anything, the divisions/subdivisions will be reconfigured (the big money conferences in their own group, and the second-tier FBS programs essentially merging with the FCS) before they ever lift that rule

It's too bad they can't get into the MAC.

Five MAC teams just landed into bowl games.

Wyoming
December 8th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Go away. No one cares. No one will accept you here. You are wasting your time. This PR move by Wyoming to let him stay doesn't change the fact you are gutting our program. we have no respect for you.

angry little elf....

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I'm really confused as to how the recruiting will work at Wyoming if Bohl stays . Will he send his newly hired assistants to go recruit? I can't imagine Wyoming allowing him to take a completely hands off approach potentially thru First week of Jan.

Bohl and his assistants won't have the time to hit the road so I'm guessing they'll be working the phones hard.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Or if some of the MVFC could move up and be joined by No. Ill and Ball St. That would also work.

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 11:53 PM
angry little elf....
Why are you here? Have you felt any welcome? Leave.

Wyoming
December 8th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Why are you here? Have you felt any welcome? Leave.

Actually i have gotten a few pm's saying they enjoyed a couple of my posts.

Im not against you. I am here because i am learning more about Wyomings Head Football Coach.

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM

Im not against you. I am here because i am learning more about Wyomings Head Football Coach.

I don't think you will learn much now. I think the Bison Nation has pretty much moved on. We are looking at Costal this Saturday. You would have a better chance of learning somn about your coach by just googling his name.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 12:04 AM

I don't think Wyoming, the school or poster, have done anything wrong.

Most of his posts seem in good spirit. I'm an FBS alum so I care about Wyoming like I do NDSU.

JSUBison
December 9th, 2013, 12:05 AM

Wasn't anything wrong with what he posted.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:10 AM

That does not surprise me. Bisonville is a better bet. This is not a FBS site. Bohl is a FBS coach now. You honestly expect good answers from us? Using the search function is easy but I guess your education at Wyoming didn't teach you that.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Wasn't anything wrong with what he posted.

He is been trolling here since yesterday. He can make a new thread if he wishes. This is not what Craig Bohl runs thread.

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I don't think you will learn much now. I think the Bison Nation has pretty much moved on. We are looking at Costal this Saturday. You would have a better chance of learning somn about your coach by just googling his name.

I will be rooting for NDSU.... despite some of your butt hurt fans. After all, we share a Head Coach ;-)

Darlinikki150
December 9th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I will be rooting for NDSU.... despite some of your butt hurt fans. After all, we share a Head Coach ;-)

I think people need to understand that yesterday, hearing the news the way we did was a punch in the gut. Lots of emotional responses, myself included. Lots of rumors to feed the fire and rile up the fan base. After the Bohl show this morning and hearing from the AD and captains I think most the Bison Nation has settled in and realizes it isn't the end of the world, just the end of an era a damn good era. Best of luck to Coach in Wyoming, form the pics it looks like the fan base needs somn to Bohlieve in, and they should get it. With that said, your time here on AGS is prob over, like your season. We are preparing for playoff game against a strong Coastal team. With the goal of 3 peat in reach we are just excited as fans to be a part of it. Best of luck Wyoming.

Go Bison and kisses!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 12:29 AM
I'm sure this has been mentioned in this mammoth thread, but tell that to Joe Glenn. Jumping up to Wyoming from winning the National Championship at Montana led to him coaching at South Dakota ten years later. Just because you're going FBS doesn't mean it's going to better you're future.

Wyoming's last 25 seasons....
1988 11-2
1989 5-6
1990 9-4
1991 4-6
1992 5-7
1993 8-4
1994 6-6
1995 6-5
1996 10-2
1997 7-6
1998 8-3
1999 7-4
2000 1-10 (Vic Koennig takes over the program tanks, why?)
2001 2-9
2002 2-10
2003 4-8
2004 7-5
2005 5-7
2006 6-6
2007 5-7
2008 4-8
2009 7-6
2010 3-9
2011 8-5
2012 4-8
2013 5-7

Outside of that ugly stretch in the early 2000's, Wyoming has been a respectable non-BCS program the last 25 years. I think Bohl can get the Cowboy's on a 3-4 year run of 7+ win seasons. You can honestly have success in Laramie...

Sader87
December 9th, 2013, 12:48 AM
1988 11-2
1989 5-6
1990 9-4
1991 4-6
1992 5-7
1993 8-4
1994 6-6
1995 6-5
1996 10-2
1997 7-6
1998 8-3
1999 7-4
2001 2-9
2002 2-10
2003 4-8
2004 7-5
2005 5-7
2006 6-6
2007 5-7
2008 4-8
2009 7-6
2010 3-9
2011 8-5
2012 4-8
2013 5-7

Outside of that ugly stretch in the early 2000's, Wyoming has been a respectable non-BCS program the last 25 years. I think Bohl can get the Cowboy's on a 3-4 year run of 7+ win seasons. You can honestly have success in Laramie...

I disagree. Bohl can have some success at Wyoming but it will barely be a blip on the national radar compared to what he's had at NDSU. Do you see ESPN going to Laramie for College Gameday? Anyone caring about what minor bowl the Cowboys go to???

Good for him...but this is a cash-grab, end of story.

344Johnson
December 9th, 2013, 12:52 AM
1988 11-2
1989 5-6
1990 9-4
1991 4-6
1992 5-7
1993 8-4
1994 6-6
1995 6-5
1996 10-2
1997 7-6
1998 8-3
1999 7-4
2001 2-9
2002 2-10
2003 4-8
2004 7-5
2005 5-7
2006 6-6
2007 5-7
2008 4-8
2009 7-6
2010 3-9
2011 8-5
2012 4-8
2013 5-7

I'm sure its possible to have success in Laramie....no one stays long enough to see it....or they get fired.

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 12:55 AM
I could see ESPN going to Laramie for college game day given the right circumstances...... why not? What if he is successful. It sounds like you wan't him to fail.

Sader87
December 9th, 2013, 12:56 AM
No one is EVER going to win enough at Wyoming for 99.9% of America to care. It just isn't going to happen.

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 01:02 AM
No one is EVER going to win enough at Wyoming for 99.9% of America to care. It just isn't going to happen.

You could say that for the majority of College programs.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:08 AM
1988 11-2
1989 5-6
1990 9-4
1991 4-6
1992 5-7
1993 8-4
1994 6-6
1995 6-5
1996 10-2
1997 7-6
1998 8-3
1999 7-4
2001 2-9
2002 2-10
2003 4-8
2004 7-5
2005 5-7
2006 6-6
2007 5-7
2008 4-8
2009 7-6
2010 3-9
2011 8-5
2012 4-8
2013 5-7

I disagree. Bohl can have some success at Wyoming but it will barely be a blip on the national radar compared to what he's had at NDSU. Do you see ESPN going to Laramie for College Gameday? Anyone caring about what minor bowl the Cowboys go to???

Good for him...but this is a cash-grab, end of story.

I completely disagree with this. I love FCS football but to the masses very little people care.

Here's a sobering stat Temple-Wyoming again TEMPLE VS. WYOMING! Bowl Game rating 1.54 vs 0.7 for the 2012 FCS Title Game.....

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=Sader87;2069997]

I completely disagree with this. I love FCS football but to the masses very little people care.

Here's a sobering stat Temple-Wyoming again TEMPLE VS. WYOMING! Bowl Game rating 1.54 vs 0.7 for the 2012 FCS Title Game.....

The only advantage of that game was that it was the first of the bowl season.... But outside of this board and alumni...fcs is really small potatoes to the average football fan.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:13 AM

Actually, if Wyoming wins people will care. They're no different than NIU or Boise State. If they produce a player or team worth watching, people will watch. I still remember those Joe Tiller WAC Wyoming teams. Maybe I just watch more football than most xlolx

Sader87
December 9th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I actually give the U of Wyoming a lot of credit for hanging in there in D1/FBS athletics as the least populous state in the country.

The fact remains though, there is no way Bohl can recruit and/or build a program there that won't ultimately just be a footnote in FBS football. It's just an impossible situation.

Not to say he can't win there in the Mountain West...but essentially it won't be that much of a difference than winning at the FCS/MVFC level.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I actually give the U of Wyoming a lot of credit for hanging in there in D1/FBS athletics as the least populous state in the country.

The fact remains though, there is no way Bohl can recruit and/or build a program there that won't ultimately just be a footnote in FBS football. It's just an impossible situation.

Not to say he can't win there in the Mountain West...but essentially it won't be that much of a difference than winning at the FCS/MVFC level.

If you have success in the MWC you will receive national recognition. Fresno State, Air Force, Boise State, San Diego State etc have all been nationally ranked recently. Fresno State was a loss away from a BCS Bowl this year. I also know that Wyoming has had home games against Texas and Nebraska recently. Nationally, to those who matter, the MWC is leaps and bounds ahead of FCS football. Is it really that much better? I don't know. But ultimately, perception is reality in this case.

Brady Hoke parlayed San Diego State into the Michigan job. Some people might have thought SDSU dropped football after Marshall Faulk graduated.

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I know every Bison fan did not believe it could ever happen but on the earlier thread about who'd be looking for a coach I predicted NDSU would be one.
I am surprised Bohl went with Wyoming. As others have posted it is a tough job. Wyoming LOVES their Cowboys but Laramie is a hard spot to recruit to.
Though I am not surprised Wyoming went with Bohl. Wyoming already has a very potent offense but they had a terrible defense.
He might be able to get them turned around. However I'd bet he brings his defensive coordinator and staff with him to jump start things.

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 01:26 AM

How do you figure.... Do you realize how close Laramie is to other Universities that you wouldn't say that about.
Colorado State University 64.7 miles
University of Colorado Boulder 118. miles

Denver isn't that far away.... If these schools can recruit.... then So can Wyoming...considering Wyoming has TOP of the Line facilities. Pull out a map.

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2013, 01:29 AM

Sader, I haven't seen any numbers on this. Yet I suspect the primary difference will be at least a triple in his paycheck, and a double in the paychecks of any assistants who jump with him.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 01:54 AM
How do you figure.... Do you realize how close Laramie is to other Universities that you wouldn't say that about.
Colorado State University 64.7 miles
University of Colorado Boulder 118. miles

Denver isn't that far away.... If these schools can recruit.... then So can Wyoming...considering Wyoming has TOP of the Line facilities. Pull out a map.

As you pointed out, Laramie is not that far removed from the Denver/Front Range metro area. As a relatively new resident of the mountain west, I've gained a great appreciation for distance. Laramie, especially by western terms, is a stones throw away from LOTS of people.

I actually did quite a bit of research on the U of Wyoming/Laramie and Colorado State/Fort Collins when deciding on where to move/take classes. My biggest complaint with Laramie was the lack of a top-end golf course.

Darlinikki150
December 9th, 2013, 01:56 AM
In all honesty what else is there for Coach to accomplish at NDSU? I get moving on and while I would love to bash Wyoming I know nothing of FBS football cuz I'm a FCS snob. I think the BCS championship is joke, but its my opinion. I could care less if Wyoming gets to play in a bowl or not. I don't see the appeal of bowl games, I like playing for championships, in every sport not just football. So I say good luck Wyoming, and farewell.

Darlinikki150
December 9th, 2013, 02:01 AM
As you pointed out, Laramie is not that far removed from the Denver/Front Range metro area. As a relatively new resident of the mountain west, I've gained a great appreciation for distance. Laramie, especially by western terms, is a stones throw away from LOTS of people.

I actually did quite a bit of research on the U of Wyoming/Laramie and Colorado State/Fort Collins when I deciding on where to move/take classes. My biggest complaint with Laramie was the lack of a top-end golf course.

My cousin lives in Ft. Collins, he's not that fond of it. Buthe did love there about 3 weeks before they slammed with that huge rain storm, they were very scared and didn't know the area well enough. He says its a nice town but he's homesick. Hopefully the coming summer will perk his spirits and he sticks it out. Its always good to move away from home.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM
My cousin lives in Ft. Collins, he's not that fond of it. Buthe did love there about 3 weeks before they slammed with that huge rain storm, they were very scared and didn't know the area well enough. He says its a nice town but he's homesick. Hopefully the coming summer will perk his spirits and he sticks it out. Its always good to move away from home.

I never made it to Ft. Collins. Colorado State is an excellent school but I was a little turned off by the area based on research and talking with people who've been there. Boulder is definitely considered the better of the two college towns. My decision came down to Grand Forks xrotatehxand Bozeman after I visited both.

I really think there are far worse places to land than Laramie. Bohl will do well there...relatively speaking...

Darlinikki150
December 9th, 2013, 02:19 AM
I never made it to Ft. Collins. Colorado State is an excellent school but I was a little turned off by the area based on research and talking with people who've been there. Boulder is definitely considered the better of the two college towns. My decision came down to Grand Forks xrotatehxand Bozeman after I visited both.

I really think there are far worse places to land than Laramie. Bohl will do well there...relatively speaking...

His wife is getting her Masters at Colorado St, its the only reason they moved there. NDSU master program was full so they made hard decision to move. She loves the school, and I suspect they will move home ASAP when she's done lol.

344Johnson
December 9th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Sader, I haven't seen any numbers on this. Yet I suspect the primary difference will be at least a triple in his paycheck, and a double in the paychecks of any assistants who jump with him.

As a former Front-Range resident and current NDSU student....sad and confused. That part of the country sucks. Mountains don't make things great...nice to look at outside your window....but people make places worth living. Wyoming will never give Coach what we were willing to give him what we would have kept giving him.

Wyoming is as dead-end/risky job as there is in FBS. Wyoming sucks. This is fact. That will probably never change. People make fun of Fargo....Laramie is about 10X worse. Friggin' joke. That said, I wish coach the best(been going back and forth on if I want him to be successful or not, his presser in Laramie changed that).

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 03:20 AM
People that say Wyoming is a dead end job are ignorant of past Wyoming Coaches.... Wyoming Coaches have gone on to Coach some Major programs.

As far as Fort Collins goes... I hate CSU but the town itself in wonderful... It's not uncommon for Wyoming students to party down there.

bkrownd
December 9th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Wyoming is as dead-end/risky job as there is in FBS. Wyoming sucks. This is fact.

Bob Devaney, Fred Akers, Pat Dye, Dennis Erickson, Joe Tiller... Wyoming coaches usually go on to other places.

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Bob Devaney, Fred Akers, Pat Dye, Dennis Erickson, Joe Tiller... Wyoming coaches usually go on to other places.

Before Boise State's success.... many would argue that BSU was a dead end.... But Dan Hawkins and Chris Peterson built a winning culture and team... much like Bohl at NDSU. We are a long way from being a Boise State..... but it's possible.

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Before Boise State's success.... many would argue that BSU was a dead end.... But Dan Hawkins and Chris Peterson built a winning culture and team... much like Bohl at NDSU. We are a long way from being a Boise State..... but it's possible.

Find a better example. It took Boise State a mere three years at the FBS level before it got both its first bowl win and its first 10 win season. Maybe they might have argued that, but it was a very short period that anyone would have had a chance to. Boise State has an all-time winning percentage of 72.3%. That's better than Alabama. Find a better example.

bkrownd
December 9th, 2013, 04:09 AM

Pokey Allen, man! Pokey Allen!

Wyoming
December 9th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Find a better example. It took Boise State a mere three years at the FBS level before it got both its first bowl win and its first 10 win season. Maybe they might have argued that, but it was a very short period that anyone would have had a chance to. Boise State has an all-time winning percentage of 72.3%. That's better than Alabama. Find a better example.

Ok... University of Utah was what one would call a dead end job before 1992.... ( 15 bowl games since) but they only appeared Liberty Bowl in 1964 and two bowls previous to that in the 30's and 40's.

NIU was a dead end job until Joe Novak took over in 1996 and it was 2004 before they hit a bowl game.... and only one D1 bowl game in its history during the 83 season.

Nebraska Football was dead... prior to Devaney....

There are plenty of examples....

Pards Rule
December 9th, 2013, 04:58 AM
100 pages in less than 24 hours! A new record?