View Full Version : Round of eight: Towson @ E. Illinois

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Bison56
December 13th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Just that Strength of the CAA.
xnutsx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Congratulations to Towson! Now to see who they'll play next week!

eiupantherfan94
December 13th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Just got back from the game. Some observations.
1) Towson played a great game on both sides of the ball. I thought when the Panthers went up 14-0 early it was going to be another route, but Towson kept pounding away and our defense which has more speed than size just couldn't handle the Tiger running game
2) Jimmy Garoppolo played poorly tonight. Too many check-downs when he had open men downfield and there were times when I questioned why he threw the ball away when he had an open man in the vicinity.
3) The Keiondre Gober fumble at the end of the first half was definitely a huge stop for the Tigers. Granted Towson didn't score as a result, but it halted the momentum that the Panthers were clearly picking up.
4) While Towson did play a good game, I do think that the Panthers were hosed a bit by the refs. Now of course this probably just me being a homer, but there were some questionable calls made tonight.

Bill
December 14th, 2013, 12:12 AM
J
4) While Towson did play a good game, I do think that the Panthers were hosed a bit by the refs. Now of course this probably just me being a homer, but there were some questionable calls made tonight.

Not sure I agree with this statement...I have have no dog in this fight, but if anything I though the EIU defense was a bit "chippy" at times. Bottom line - West and the running attack resembled the Mongol Hordes terrorizing Asia at times...scary! Great job by Towson tonight...

hebmskebm
December 14th, 2013, 12:15 AM
We'll be seeing Jimmy and Terrance on Sundays for many years to come.

Mr. C
December 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM
ESPN just said the record is 388, not 333. Which is it C?
We have been talking about the playoff rushing record for a single game of 333 yards, set by Adrian Peterson of Georgia Southern against UMass in 1999. West broke Peterson's record and also several records for single-season touchdowns held by Omar Cuff of Delaware from 2007. The 388 is an all-time FCS single-game record for the regular season.

TU Tiger Town
December 14th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Wow this thread really blew up since pre-game... guessing the Nation now knows about T-West... a few observations.

1) T-West has his biggest game in the biggest stage of his career, hello NFL. O-Line very dominate, West could literally wait for the holes to open like a door.

2) Best overall game by the Tigers all season, especially best defensive adjustments (possibly because of playing a similar "passing" team in Fordham last week?)

3) EIU had us on on the ropes in the 1Q and showed a resilience with good adjustments of their own in the second half with a good running game.

4) Overall TU played better and on more equal footing than I expected, even with 2-2 turnover ratio (correct?) we were able to win, I had originally expected a + ratio was necessary in order for use to stop EIU offense.

5) Jimmy G looked liked the real deal, might win the Peyton but if voting had happened after today I expect some votes might have been swayed.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2013, 01:30 AM
We have been talking about the playoff rushing record for a single game of 333 yards, set by Adrian Peterson of Georgia Southern against UMass in 1999. West broke Peterson's record and also several records for single-season touchdowns held by Omar Cuff of Delaware from 2007. The 388 is an all-time FCS single-game record for the regular season.

Not Maruice Hicks (NC A&T) with 437 yards on 34 carries against Morgan State in 2001?

Game

437—Maurice Hicks, N.C. A&T vs. Morgan St., Oct. 6, 2001

(34 rushes)

The NCAA recordbook must be broken. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/FCS.pdf

Scooter
December 14th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Congrats to Towson. I thought this game may be a bad match up for EIU due to the weather and what happened to them last year against a good rushing team in the playoffs. Not surprised that Towson advanced. Great year for both squads!

Let's see who gets the other three remaining spots. There are no gimmies when you get down to the final eight. Tomorrow will be a great day for football.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Congrats to Towson. I thought this game may be a bad match up for EIU due to the weather and what happened to them last year against a good rushing team in the playoffs. Not surprised that Towson advanced. Great year for both squads!

Let's see who gets the other three remaining spots. There are no gimmies when you get down to the final eight. Tomorrow will be a great day for football.

It sure will, can't wait.

Win or lose the 3 teams who give the best overall performance will advance.

I have so much crap to do sat and sunday I almost wish they weren't staggered so well.. The NCAA/ESPN finally schedule the games correctly.

blukeys
December 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM
EIU wins going away.

Typical prediction of a Midwest fan. I can't wait for the excuses that there was only snow on the EIU side of the field.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2013, 06:01 AM
If West gets going, EIU is in trouble.

that pretty much summed it up

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2013, 06:05 AM
we might have a ballgame brewing, but in the end I just don't think Towson will be able to score fast enough to keep up

wrong! I thought Garoppolo would have a field day against the Towson secondary, but Towson adjusted very nicely and Garoppolo looked off his game pretty much all night

Fordham
December 14th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Congrats Towson!! Tremendous performance! West is a beast and just so fun to watch run. Good luck next week.

Congrats to EIU on a GREAT season as well. I was surprised at how similar your offense looked to ours as this was the first time I had seen you all year. I wonder if that helped Towson at all in terms of seeing a similar O the previous week?

Regardless, congrats to both teams and good luck to Towson on running the table

DoubleH
December 14th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Wow this thread really blew up since pre-game... guessing the Nation now knows about T-West... a few observations.

1) T-West has his biggest game in the biggest stage of his career, hello NFL. O-Line very dominate, West could literally wait for the holes to open like a door.

2) Best overall game by the Tigers all season, especially best defensive adjustments (possibly because of playing a similar "passing" team in Fordham last week?)

3) EIU had us on on the ropes in the 1Q and showed a resilience with good adjustments of their own in the second half with a good running game.

4) Overall TU played better and on more equal footing than I expected, even with 2-2 turnover ratio (correct?) we were able to win, I had originally expected a + ratio was necessary in order for use to stop EIU offense.

5) Jimmy G looked liked the real deal, might win the Peyton but if voting had happened after today I expect some votes might have been swayed.

I completely agree with the defensive adjustments, which has been an issue all year long. I was going nuts at 0-14, and my son and both questioned why we wouldn't play press man and dare the WRs to beat our 2 All-American caliber CBs deep in the snow. Then, lo and behold... we did! Mark this day in your calendar, The Towson D made an adjustment! And the Towson D wasn't outcoached! Coverage was fantastic overall, many times where Garropolo simply couldn't find anyone and was left double- and triple-clutching in the pocket, or checking down.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I completely agree with the defensive adjustments, which has been an issue all year long. I was going nuts at 0-14, and my son and both questioned why we wouldn't play press man and dare the WRs to beat our 2 All-American caliber CBs deep in the snow. Then, lo and behold... we did! Mark this day in your calendar, The Towson D made an adjustment! And the Towson D wasn't outcoached! Coverage was fantastic overall, many times where Garropolo simply couldn't find anyone and was left double- and triple-clutching in the pocket, or checking down.

West was amazing. But I think EIU lost because their coach is interviewing for FBS jobs. Curse of the lame duck coach!

swaghook
December 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM
West was amazing. But I think EIU lost because their coach is interviewing for FBS jobs. Curse of the lame duck coach!

I guess you are allowed to dream. Sure looked to me like they just did not have a run stop D.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I guess you are allowed to dream. Sure looked to me like they just did not have a run stop D.

I was wondering how long it would take for one of the bizen to respond.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2013, 07:32 AM

This here.

Same thing will happen today, CC will get pounded in the running game.

Lehigh'98
December 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Guaranteed response in under 10 min or your $$ back

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM

You put out a bait post, someone responded and you mock them for responding.

Enjoy the last 7 hrs of your season.

Skyhawk71
December 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Congrats to Towson, the Offensive Line was outstanding and fun to watch......not to mention West is a bruiser with speed- Good Luck the rest of the way; Congrats to EIU on an outstanding season as well

swaghook
December 14th, 2013, 07:44 AM
You put out a bait post, someone responded and you mock them for responding.

Enjoy the last 7 hrs of your season.Well let's hope that it was just a trolling post and he is smart enough to not actually believe in such a statement. ;) I just thought I would let him know that it is OK to have dreams about winning when going up against the Bison. I have dreams of winning the Mega Millions jackpot as well. xawesomex

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Well let's hope that it was just a trolling post and he is smart enough to not actually believe in such a statement. ;) I just thought I would let him know that it is OK to have dreams about winning when going up against the Bison. I have dreams of winning the Mega Millions jackpot as well. xawesomex

They have been throwing that **** all week. I, for one, will miss them.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM
You guys are awesome. I make a post in a thread that has nothing to do with the Bison and don't mention the Bison in my post, but now you start to takeover the thread. Congratulations!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM
You guys are awesome. I make a post in a thread that has nothing to do with the Bison and don't mention the Bison in my post, but now you start to takeover the thread. Congratulations!

You aren't as clever as you think.

rokamortis
December 14th, 2013, 07:49 AM
You aren't as clever as you think.

clever enough

PanthersBlue
December 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Nice job Towson. Congratulations and good luck moving forward.

Also has been a fun season to be a panther. Good luck to all of the seniors moving forward.

UIWWildthing
December 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Nice job Towson. Congratulations and good luck moving forward.

Also has been a fun season to be a panther. Good luck to all of the seniors moving forward.
Great game by EIU, Garappolo will be fun to watch on Sundays

ColgateTD
December 14th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Congrats to Towson! They are an amazing team and West is the real deal. Look forward to watching hin as a NY Giant in future years :)
Good luck to the Tigers the rest of the way.

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM
How different is this game is moderate weather?

TSU86
December 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM
How different is this game is moderate weather?

Honestly, I'm not sure either team was hampered by the snow.

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure either team was hampered by the snow.

My theory is that it hampered them both. I felt like it messed with the throwing but West looked like he was really considering every step he took trying to cut around the corner.

Fordham
December 14th, 2013, 11:17 AM
My theory is that it hampered them both. I felt like it messed with the throwing but West looked like he was really considering every step he took trying to cut around the corner.

Agreed, he looked like he was struggling out there!

eiupantherfan94
December 14th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Agreed, he looked like he was struggling out there!

Ha...Haha....if only...

Anyway, if I were Eastern's coaching staff (whether it be Babers or his successor), I would definitely be working on recruiting some more size. Speed and athleticism on defense is great, but that speed doesn't matter if you're facing a great O-line manhandling you in the trenches opening holes for great running backs to speed through.