PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Fmr SHSU Standout WR/CFL Star Dominguez

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
An interview with former Bearkat WR Matt Dominguez, who will be inducted into the SHSU Hall of Honor this weekend during SHSU Homecoming festivities...

Putting out the Matt
Cory Wolfe, Saskatchewan News Network
Published: Friday, October 13, 2006

SASKATOON -- As a regular feature, StarPhoenix sports reporter Cory Wolfe gets personal with a sports figure. Today, Saskatchewan Roughriders receiver Matt Dominguez gets cornered.

Wolfe: You've amassed 1,000 receiving yards one year after blowing out your knee. Did you ever doubt your ability to return to form?

Dominguez: No, I never doubted it. I knew that I needed experience to get back to form, but I didn't doubt that I would make it back. The experience was just running routes and going against defences in live action.

Wolfe: You've expressed an interest in teaching history following your football career. If you had a time machine, which great moment in history would you like to experience first-hand?

Dominguez: Not too many because with me being a minority, we weren't really treated very well. But if I could be on the outside looking in (at) the current situation in North Korea, I would really like to see how the planning for the atomic bomb came about.

Wolfe: Would you like Terrell Owens as a teammate?

Dominguez: Well, I think that we could co-exist, me and him personally. I'm more of a "do" guy as opposed to a "speak" guy. In the whole team structure, I don't think he'd fit up here because of the way that we're seen. We're in a fishbowl. If what he has (in Dallas) is as bad as he's making it, imagine if he was here. It would be that much worse.

Wolfe: You began your pro career with the Denver Broncos and subsequently had a stint with the New York Jets. Besides the paycheque, what do you miss most about the NFL?

Dominguez: My family was always guaranteed to be able to watch my games. Now it's kind of hit or miss whether they can get the game on satellite or come up to watch a game. With the NFL, all of the games were televised, and that was my dream growing up. I never grew up saying, "Hey, I want to play in the CFL for the Saskatchewan Roughriders."

Wolfe: Not many Texas kids do.

Dominguez: My thing was the (Dallas) Cowboys and the (Houston) Oilers to a lesser extent.

For more...

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0851c8a6-dfb9-424a-bc05-670e40e1fb0a