PDA

View Full Version : Parity or Just a Changing of the Guard

flexbone
October 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM
In the Pro's - Anyone can Beat U at any time.
Due to the fact that THEY ARE ALL PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES,
In 1-A - I believe that is not the case - u definately have a "Pecking Order" that pretty much stays constant year in and year out.
In I-AA - There may be a few constants, But for the most point it seems our system works more like the pros where the TOP TEAMS are constantly ( after a few years ) changing.
Why do you think this is the case?

ASU Kep
October 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Because certain I-AA teams with a past history of success freak out after a good season and playoff birth, fire their coach, bring in some new guy who refers to himself seemingly only in the third-person and installs a completely different offense then that which brought the team aforementioned past success and henceforth the team isn't any good and loses to such teams as CCSU and UTC. :nod:

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Because certain I-AA teams with a past history of success freak out after a good season and playoff birth, fire their coach, bring in some new guy who refers to himself seemingly only in the third-person and installs a completely different offense then that which brought the team aforementioned past success and henceforth the team isn't any good and loses to such teams as CCSU and UTC. :nod:
xlolx

The Cats
October 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM

:deadhorse:

ngineer
October 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM
A lot of kids today aren't willing to stand in line and 'pay their dues' before getting to play. So they are willing to go to teams with mediocre records under the promise or perception that they'll play as freshman or at least sophomores. You see this with a lot of transfers, also. As, also noted, there isn't much consistency in coaching across the board. Obviously some exceptions, but many coaches are using I-AA as a springboard to a I-A assistantship to an eventual HC or Coord. position.
Hence some of these programs that have had substantial winning records for ten years or so have really accomplished something.

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hence some of these programs that have had substantial winning records for ten years or so have really accomplished something.

How about since the late 1800's? That's when Furman started their tradition of excellence, and it has been pretty steady ever since.

Cool little FU factoid....In the state of NC, the only football team (I-A or otherwise) with a winning record against us is UNC.:hurray: I love that.(I also realize that noone here but us FU'ers really GAS)xlolx

ASU Kep
October 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hey...we're gaining on ya'll. :nod:

SoCon48
October 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
In the Pro's - Anyone can Beat U at any time.
Due to the fact that THEY ARE ALL PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES,
In 1-A - I believe that is not the case - u definately have a "Pecking Order" that pretty much stays constant year in and year out.
In I-AA - There may be a few constants, But for the most point it seems our system works more like the pros where the TOP TEAMS are constantly ( after a few years ) changing.
Why do you think this is the case?

Too, it is a real stretch to build and maintain a successful program with the limitations imposed on all us I-AA's coupled with the flow of our best coaches moving to big I-A's once they get noticed.