PDA

View Full Version : Where does it stop?

LeopardFan04
October 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
The White Sox are moving start times for their games to 7:11 as part of a deal with 7-11...:rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621231

dbackjon
October 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Rename the position between second and third "QuikStop"??

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Ha.. just gonna post this...

This is pathetic.... who really runs these games?!

LeopardFan04
October 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Rename the position between second and third "QuikStop"??

If it makes money then I'm sure we'll see it...

LacesOut
October 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Anyone remember when the outfield fence/walls of MLB teams were empty/bare? Now they are starting to resemble minor league outfield walls, with all of the advertising that is plastered on them.

Same for NHL rinks, the walls/boards used to be just white. Now look at them.

Just sayin'. I don't have a problem with it. Corporate dollars and sponsership and advertising is here to stay, at all levels, not just TV commercials anymore.

goasu984Life
October 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM
How about the ads behind the plate at baseball games now with the green screen?

AppGuy04
October 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I don't have a problem with outfield walls, hockey boards, etc, they are inatimate(sp?) objects, but changing a game time is just stupid

dirtbag
October 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Anyone remember when the outfield fence/walls of MLB teams were empty/bare?

Well, it wasn't in the 40's or 50's, because advertising used to absolutely cover the outfield walls in major league parks. Even the Green Monster had big advertisements smack dab in the middle of it.

"In 1947, advertisements covering the left field wall were painted over using green paint, which gave rise to the "Green Monster" moniker. Prior advertisements were: the Calvert Brewery's owl mascot ("Be Wise",) Gem razor blades ("Avoid 5 O'Clock Shadow",) Lifebuoy soap ("The Red Sox Use It!",) and Vimms vitamins ("Get that Vimms Feeling!") "

I wonder if people complained about the overcommercialization of MLB back then, too?

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I like this. I think it's clever on 7-11's part, and I love their slurpees.

ngineer
October 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I don't mind the signs, but what drives me nuts is when the announcers have to force into a particular play or highlight that, that play is "being brought to you by...." That's intuding into the game, itself, as opposed to being on the periphery...:nonono2:

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I think it is a smart marketing move...FYI (god, no wonder they call me the freak) 7-11 just recently bought the White Hen chain in Chicago which comprises just over 200 stores to add to 7-11's 180 something in Chicagoland..

LacesOut
October 12th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Welcome to College GameDay, brought to you by Home Depot!

Oh really?? LOL

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Or better yet, Fisher Field (for the original donor in 1926) at Fisher Stadium (for this years donor of the $25 million rehab)...

bluehenbillk
October 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Guys, let's be honest, how many years do you think we're away from professional teams wearing sponsor names on their uniforms or being nicknamed after a sponsor?

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
nicknamed already here!! Name the team!

LeopardFan04
October 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Colgate?

dbackjon
October 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
nicknamed already here!! Name the team!

Red Bull in MLS Soccer.

Marcus Garvey
October 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Guys, let's be honest, how many years do you think we're away from professional teams wearing sponsor names on their uniforms or being nicknamed after a sponsor?

In hockey maybe....
Won't be anytime soon in baseball or football.

When I'm supreme emperor of the world, my 5th edict will be to overhaul Major League Baseball:
1) No more extorting governments (state or local) into building stadiums and then giving away all the revenues to the team
2) 4 man pitching rotations: They never used a 5th guy before because the other 4 were better then him! Duh! Why did they start that stupid trend?
3) Uniform regulations: i.e., they're knickers and wear stirrups dammit!
4) Steinbrenner must die
5) Contract to 24 teams with the old divisional format and split schedule:
Buh-bye Florida, Tampa, KC, Toronto, Washington (point 1 means D.C.'s stadium deal is dead) and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (That's for the stupid city badging)
6) Everyone is a free agent, immediately. The "free-market" will sort out the salaries and bring them down. The players, stupidly, will think it's a good idea.

Any other ideas?

dbackjon
October 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
In hockey maybe....
Won't be anytime soon in baseball or football.

When I'm supreme emperor of the world, my 5th edict will be to overhaul Major League Baseball:
1) No more extorting governments (state or local) into building stadiums and then giving away all the revenues to the team
2) 4 man pitching rotations: They never used a 5th guy before because the other 4 were better then him! Duh! Why did they start that stupid trend?
3) Uniform regulations: i.e., they're knickers and wear stirrups dammit!
4) Steinbrenner must die
5) Contract to 24 teams with the old divisional format and split schedule:
Buh-bye Florida, Tampa, KC, Toronto, Washington (point 1 means D.C.'s stadium deal is dead) and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (That's for the stupid city badging)
6) Everyone is a free agent, immediately. The "free-market" will sort out the salaries and bring them down. The players, stupidly, will think it's a good idea.

Any other ideas?

No DH. Pitchers need to face the chin music they deal out.
No body armor. If you crowd the plate and get hit, take a base like a man, and no whining about how it hurts.

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Djon!!! DING DING DING!!!! Yes they just commenced construction of the new stadium in Harrison (just across the river from Newark), NJ...Alex, I'll take useless trivia for $200, please.

RadMann
October 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
7-11 is a really cheesy convenience store chain. I had not been in one for several years largely because in this region Wawas are unbelievably better (no comparison really). Anyway, I went in to one a while back to buy a PowerBall when the jackpot was high and I forgot how cheesy those stores are. It reminded me of being back at the 7-11 in Newark in the 70's as a kid.....

Marcus Garvey
October 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM
No DH. Pitchers need to face the chin music they deal out.
No body armor. If you crowd the plate and get hit, take a base like a man, and no whining about how it hurts.

Excellent points. Also, no inter-league play. Artificial turf will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but if used, the dirt must be exposed like a grass field.

Also, what's the deal with talking about Frank Thomas for MVP???? WTF? If you're a DH, you ought to be automatically disqualified for that award.

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Yea, in a few years the uniforms will look like NASCAR suits. :bang: