PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette at New Hampshire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

RichH2
November 5th, 2015, 08:30 AM
A great place for the occasional riot. Ah, the good olde days.
Fond memories and a few scars and some frostbite. :)

RichH2
November 5th, 2015, 08:37 AM
I recall Taylor as both a player and a spectator. But just barely, as to the latter. Except for that freezing cold finale, whenever is was - 1986 I believe.

I also recall the places along 4th street where you could go post-game. Some had polka bands - a curious Bethlehem phenomenon. I don't think Durham ever had downscale local pubs with polka bands but I could be wrong.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ARqBJBugL._SX300_.jpg
Still shiver in memory of that game. Rusty Nails and Polka a perfect combo at the Roosevelt right behind Taylor :)

KPSUL
November 5th, 2015, 10:12 AM
How old are you PL Polka boys? Centenarians?

65 Pard
November 5th, 2015, 10:47 AM
How old are you PL Polka boys? Centenarians?

Old enough to remember 10 cent beers and free peanuts with "Arlene Lane at the piano" on Thursday nights, and too old to remember the name of that bar in Easton.

RichH2
November 5th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Old enough to remember 10 cent beers and free peanuts with "Arlene Lane at the piano" on Thursday nights, and too old to remember the name of that bar in Easton.
Yup, young whippersnapper probably thinks of the 90s as the good old days :)

Gate83
November 22nd, 2015, 06:21 PM
Patriot League team in Maroon unis hits Cowell at 3:30 Saturday... start of the 2nd half?

NY Crusader 2010
November 22nd, 2015, 06:26 PM
Patriot League team in Maroon unis hits Cowell at 3:30 Saturday... start of the 2nd half?

On CROSSPORTS several weeks ago, I posted that I was very skeptical of Colgate's resume and that they had really proved nothing to me that showed they would be at all competitive in the playoffs. However, it looks like they've improved a ton throughout the season and I believe that the rematch will be closer than the regular season matchup. I actually think Colgate has a better chance to escape with an upset than Fordham does. 'Gate has been horrid in the playoffs every time they've appeared with the obvious exception of their magical run to Chatty in 2003.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 07:35 PM

Don't try to steal the thunder of the indomitable spirit and timeless inspiration of the Lafayette at New Hampshire thread! Recommend you start your own.

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2015, 07:44 PM
Colgate is going to get pasted.... no pun intended...

CFBfan
November 22nd, 2015, 07:48 PM
Colgate is going to get pasted.... no pun intended...

says the alum of a 1 - 10 / 0 - 6 program

Gate83
November 22nd, 2015, 09:05 PM
The Leopards have certainly dug a hole for our Maroons, but hey it's only halftime. Comeback!

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
On CROSSPORTS several weeks ago, I posted that I was very skeptical of Colgate's resume and that they had really proved nothing to me that showed they would be at all competitive in the playoffs. However, it looks like they've improved a ton throughout the season and I believe that the rematch will be closer than the regular season matchup. I actually think Colgate has a better chance to escape with an upset than Fordham does. 'Gate has been horrid in the playoffs every time they've appeared with the obvious exception of their magical run to Chatty in 2003.

Except for 2012, I agree with you. We should have had a home game and the University never submitted a bid. I believe the players were dispirited and it showed in their performance at Wagner.

Mattymc727
November 23rd, 2015, 06:16 AM
I think its fair to say that both teams have much improved since the last meeting.

Gate83
November 23rd, 2015, 07:40 AM
Except for 2012, I agree with you. We should have had a home game and the University never submitted a bid. I believe the players were dispirited and it showed in their performance at Wagner.

Main problem at Wagner was McCarney hurt his arm the week before at Fordham, he couldn't grip the ball & turned it over 5 times... plus Wagner was a good team. Not sure home turf would've changed that, but we definitely should've put in a bid.

CFBfan
November 23rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
Main problem at Wagner was McCarney hurt his arm the week before at Fordham, he couldn't grip the ball & turned it over 5 times... plus Wagner was a good team. Not sure home turf would've changed that, but we definitely should've put in a bid.

and this year gate was outbid by unh, it's apparent that the folks up in Hamilton just do not want to host a playoff game......too bad for the players

Gater
November 23rd, 2015, 09:35 AM
Makes sense that UNH would get the home game over Colgate. UNH beat Colgate at Colgate. UNH has the same record but is from a better league and UNH draws better than Colgate. UNH's last game had 7,600 fans. Colgate's last game had 3,000--and many of those were season ticket holders (don't know if UNH's home attendance numbers are inflated as much as Colgate's are by no show season ticket holders). UNH had a lot more to play for in their last game, but still, Colgate's students aren't on campus and Colgate is in a rural part of central New York. UNH is charging $25 a ticket. Actual number of fans for Colgate's last two home games (including a huge one against Lehigh) were probably in the 1,500 range (Colgate had five home games with two of them drawing over 7,000--which is good for Colgate). How much more money would Colgate have to have bid to have gotten this game? The game should draw at least 3,000 more fans at UNH. That will probably amount to the NCAA making at least $45,000 more having it in Durham. Plus, more fans will look better on TV. Seems like Colgate would have needed to bid a lot more money than UNH to have gotten a home game. Doesn't mean Colgate didn't try to host, it just probably means that the NCAA made the right decision.

Mattymc727
November 23rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
Makes sense that UNH would get the home game over Colgate. UNH beat Colgate at Colgate. UNH has the same record but is from a better league and UNH draws better than Colgate. UNH's last game had 7,600 fans. Colgate's last game had 3,000--and many of those were season ticket holders (don't know if UNH's home attendance numbers are inflated as much as Colgate's are by no show season ticket holders). UNH had a lot more to play for in their last game, but still, Colgate's students aren't on campus and Colgate is in a rural part of central New York. UNH is charging $25 a ticket. Actual number of fans for Colgate's last two home games (including a huge one against Lehigh) were probably in the 1,500 range (Colgate had five home games with two of them drawing over 7,000--which is good for Colgate). How much more money would Colgate have to have bid to have gotten this game? The game should draw at least 3,000 more fans at UNH. That will probably amount to the NCAA making at least $45,000 more having it in Durham. Plus, more fans will look better on TV. Seems like Colgate would have needed to bid a lot more money than UNH to have gotten a home game. Doesn't mean Colgate didn't try to host, it just probably means that the NCAA made the right decision.

Scarano wants to show off the construction of the stadium upgrades on tv too. Every home game we had on tv, it was shown during a break in play , ad nauseum.

Gater
November 23rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
Marty is a good dude. He was at Colgate when I played (a long time ago). Glad to see he is doing well and getting you guys a new stadium.

CFBfan
November 23rd, 2015, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Gater;2292125]Makes sense that UNH would get the home game over Colgate. UNH beat Colgate at Colgate.

Nothing to do with UNH getting the game, they simply outbid Colgate, shame on Colgate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gater
November 23rd, 2015, 11:49 AM
If the bids were anywhere close, UNH would get the home game for all of the reasons I listed above.

I also understand that you are going to stick to your guns and blame Colgate no matter how much logic is brought into the conversation.

19 !'s tells me you are pretty committed to Colgate being the bad guy here.

CFBfan
November 23rd, 2015, 12:14 PM
If the bids were anywhere close, UNH would get the home game for all of the reasons I listed above.

I also understand that you are going to stick to your guns and blame Colgate no matter how much logic is brought into the conversation.

19 !'s tells me you are pretty committed to Colgate being the bad guy here.

if I only used 18 would I have not been "the bad guy here" ???

You can speculate all you want on criteria but a 4th place finisher in their league and the LAST at large team selected are also factors (not sure how many !'s" to use here????????????) and the 2 teams played way back on the 2nd week of the season

No bid 3 years ago and gate travels to wagner and now this, so....I reapeat shame on gate!!!!! (only 5 "!"'s this time.....)

Catsfan90
November 23rd, 2015, 12:24 PM
The Maine game draws a lot due to the regional matchup, and the rivalry. I was at the game and those numbers were definitely not inflated. I've been to plenty of games though where it looks like about 1,000 people were there, and somehow it was like 5,000 announced.

Gater
November 23rd, 2015, 12:36 PM
if I only used 18 would I have not been "the bad guy here" ???

You can speculate all you want on criteria but a 4th place finisher in their league and the LAST at large team selected are also factors (not sure how many !'s" to use here????????????) and the 2 teams played way back on the 2nd week of the season

No bid 3 years ago and gate travels to wagner and now this, so....I reapeat shame on gate!!!!! (only 5 "!"'s this time.....)

Your poor keyboard/family.

CFBfan
November 23rd, 2015, 01:15 PM
Your poor keyboard/family.

does this help you focus on the facts champ?

You can speculate all you want on criteria but a 4th place finisher in their league and the LAST at large team selected are also factors (and the 2 teams played way back on the 2nd week of the season

No bid 3 years ago and gate travels to wagner and now this, so....I reapeat shame on gate

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 23rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
I think if both teams bid the minimum the NCAA decides based on facilities, crowd, ect...
Season records have nothing to due with who's home in the first (non-seeded) round....it's all about the $$$$$
I know UNH always puts a bid in. Some of us felt the fact that we're under construction may work against us.
Based on the time of the game could it be that we have lights? Does Colgate have lights?

CFBfan
November 23rd, 2015, 01:31 PM
I think if both teams bid the minimum the NCAA decides based on facilities, crowd, ect...
Season records have nothing to due with who's home in the first (non-seeded) round....it's all about the $$$$$
I know UNH always puts a bid in. Some of us felt the fact that we're under construction may work against us.
Based on the time of the game could it be that we have lights? Does Colgate have lights?

yes, colgate does have lights. I suspect (don't know for sure) that they put in a low/minimum bid so they could avoid the criticism of past no bids

Gater
November 23rd, 2015, 01:35 PM
does this help you focus on the facts champ?

You can speculate all you want on criteria but a 4th place finisher in their league and the LAST at large team selected are also factors (and the 2 teams played way back on the 2nd week of the season

No bid 3 years ago and gate travels to wagner and now this, so....I reapeat shame on gate

Sorry to see you losing so much of your punctuation. It made me really pay attention to your points. Nice to see some CAPS still making the way into your post as you throw your keyboard around the room.

If you just take Colgate's 7-4 record (independent of the auto bid--maybe Colgate was ineligible for the league title this season because of an attack on an opposing team by a rabid poster), do you think Colgate would have beaten out UNH for the final at-large bid after having lost to UNH at home this year? Which team draws more people? Which team gives the NCAA a better chance to make money off of ticket sales? It would have been great for Colgate to have gotten the home game. I'm not sure how much Colgate would have had to outbid UNH by to get it, but it seems like it would have had to have been quite a bit to offset the other factors.

There isn't always a villain in these things. Sometimes there is just logic.

Gate83
November 23rd, 2015, 04:09 PM
yes, colgate does have lights. I suspect (don't know for sure) that they put in a low/minimum bid so they could avoid the criticism of past no bids

I chatted with Vicky at halftime of the Bucknell game and she thought we had a pretty good shot at a home game assuming we won vs. the Bison. Obviously didn't work out that way, but she was genuinely hoping we'd get the game. Don't think it's true (or fair) to think she was reacting to past history, particularly past history from previous athletic administrations.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2015, 09:09 PM

Colgate has lights, but I bet they put in a very nominal bid. They have no support and an empty home stand would be embarrassing. They had no more than 300-400 people for their championship clinching game against Lehigh. Didn't even have a pep band, which Lehigh brought from 3 1/2 hours away, and at least as many people, which really helped with the atmosphere.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Colgate has lights, but I bet they put in a very nominal bid. They have no support and an empty home stand would be embarrassing. They had no more than 300-400 people for their championship clinching game against Lehigh. Didn't even have a pep band, which Lehigh brought from 3 1/2 hours away, and at least as many people, which really helped with the atmosphere.

Really hard for PL schools that weekend with all the students departing vs say state schools UNH and UMass back in the I-AA days with a contingent of alums within a couple of hours drive maximum to turn out. Maybe a "kitty" for the winning PL team to use from all the PL teams? Would that even make a difference? Still dealing with a mostly vacant stadium.

Gate83
November 24th, 2015, 02:25 PM

Sounds to me like someone's still a little grumpy based on the final score from a couple of weeks ago! Those of us who were there rooting for the Red Raiders certainly enjoyed the game. Perhaps next time you'll leave the band home and bring the defense along?

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Sounds to me like someone's still a little grumpy based on the final score from a couple of weeks ago! Those of us who were there rooting for the Red Raiders certainly enjoyed the game. Perhaps next time you'll leave the band home and bring the defense along?

Good game Raiders!! Hopefully better results than your last time there and ours! Bring your heavy coat!!

ngineer
November 24th, 2015, 11:21 PM

Absolutely not. I remarked to a bunch of Colgate people that I truly felt sorry for their players...to have such a meaningful game and very few who gave a damn. I spoke with Fred Dunlap about it, and he , too, was dismayed by the lack of turnout for such a game. I would have thought 'gate was coming in with Lafayette's record from the attendance. I think our band may have helped the defense. There were a couple beefy Sousaphone players we could have used! Colgate deserved that win. I have nothing against them, and hope they beat UNH, but I can certainly see why they won't have a home game.

Pards Rule
November 30th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Happy 2nd anniv to this game played originally on Nov. 30, 2013

Catsfan90
November 30th, 2015, 09:53 AM
The longest game ever played.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 30th, 2015, 11:01 AM
At least Lafayette brought better weather to Durham than Fordham and Colgate did!! xthumbsupx :D

carney2
November 30th, 2015, 11:55 AM
These multiple OT games are very exciting.

Has anyone noticed that Lafayette DC Art Link has coached on both sides IN THE SAME GAME? He was UNH linebackers coach when this game started. You would be hard pressed to find another similar situation anywhere in NCAA history.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2015, 01:05 PM
These multiple OT games are very exciting.

Has anyone noticed that Lafayette DC Art Link has coached on both sides IN THE SAME GAME? He was UNH linebackers coach when this game started. You would be hard pressed to find another similar situation anywhere in NCAA history.

The Joel Youngblood of I-AA football!

Nova09
December 4th, 2015, 10:16 AM
New theory on the UNH loss to Gate: it was not because their focus is on resuming the Lafayette game, it is because, after seeing Lafayette MBB win the PL and go to NCAA tourney, and recognizing their own abysmal MBB program as chronicled in this thread, they acknowledged a cataclysmic shift in morale that could spill over to their ongoing FB playoff game from 2013, so they had no choice but to pull the strategic maneuver of spending the last 8 months pushing the basketball team to reach new heights.

This also explains early season UNH FB woes, but it is now paying dividends as MBB is poised to possibly have a better record through as many games as the FB team played than the FB team did. I suspect this has never happened and trust a UNH fan with more intimate knowledge of the program or PL fan with never ending thirst for useless knowledge to confirm.

Now that MBB is on the right track, I presume FB can return to the task at hand--defeating Lafayette and advancing on the road to the 2013 championship. Or at this point does simply defeating Lafayette supersede any other objectives?

As a side note, the FB contributions to MBB, whatever those may have been, were of consequence in a victory over Holy Cross. You guys may not realize this, not sure if it's ever been mentioned, but as a Big East hoops aficionado I can tell you Cross coulda been in our conference. Oh well, now they get to share a conference with Gate, who UNH MBB also plays soon, which is obviously of greater import to the FB team than their own playoff game against Gate, as this is all part of the long plan to raise America East morale above that of the PL and by extension gain the upper hand in the as yet unended 2013 playoff game.

CFBfan
December 4th, 2015, 10:21 AM
As a side note, the FB contributions to MBB, whatever those may have been, were of consequence in a victory over Holy Cross. You guys may not realize this, not sure if it's ever been mentioned, but as a Big East hoops aficionado I can tell you Cross coulda been in our conference. Oh well, now they get to share a conference with Gate, who UNH MBB also plays soon, which is obviously of greater import to the FB team than their own playoff game against Gate, as this is all part of the long plan to raise America East morale above that of the PL and by extension gain the upper hand in the as yet unended 2013 playoff game.[/QUOTE]

if Sader sees this his head will explode!!!

65 Pard
December 13th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Can a team change coaches in the middle of a game?

Go...gate
December 13th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Sure. Remember when the Colts (the REAL ones, from Baltimore) fired Howard Schnellenberger during a game with the Eagles in '74?

Pards Rule
December 14th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Sure. Remember when the Colts (the REAL ones, from Baltimore) fired Howard Schnellenberger during a game with the Eagles in '74?

I remember Howard and I will have to check. If it was 1974 I probably watched that game as a 12 year old! That was also the year the Eagles-Cowboys game was marred by numerous on field fights.

Pards Rule
December 14th, 2015, 04:21 AM
From the HowardSchellenberger.com website (which banner ad touts his soon to come Schelleberger's Steakhouse and Theater just steps from FAU where he finished his career):

After guiding the Dolphins offense to a 17-0 mark and Super Bowl Championship in 1972, Howard Schnellenberger was named the head coach of the Baltimore Colts for the 1973 season.The Colts started slow in 1973, but did have a memorable upset of the Dolphins late in the season, finishing with two consecutive victories and a 4-10 record.
Baltimore got off to a 0-3 in 1974 start before Schnellenberger was fired following an argument with owner Robert Irsay about who should be playing quarterback – Marty Domres or Bert Jones. Irsay insisted Schnellenberger put Jones in, but Schnellenberger refused and was fired after the third game of the season.
In an interview years later, Schnellenberger said he planned to put Jones in, but changed his mind after Irsay demanded Jones enter the game.

65 Pard
February 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Is this game in weather delay?

RichH2
February 27th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Merely a timeout. To be continued as soon as the ref blows the whistle.

Go...gate
March 1st, 2016, 12:37 AM
Tweet!!

And we move on to March....

RichH2
March 1st, 2016, 10:14 AM
Dang, only a 30 day timeout. Another month to kill til we can start looking forward to spring practice.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 1st, 2016, 12:41 PM
UNH Spring Schedule

http://nhfootballreport.com/2016/02/26/unh-releases-spring-schedule/

Terry2889
March 1st, 2016, 07:25 PM
Can a team change coaches in the middle of a game?

Early in the third quarter UNH loses WR's coach Ricky Santos to Columbia!!!!

BisonFan02
March 1st, 2016, 08:55 PM
UNH just scored another TD in the time it took for me to type this.

Gater
March 2nd, 2016, 12:42 PM
Really impressive that UNH has been able to build a stadium during this game. Will be interesting to see at what point they switch the home side to the visitor side (assuming it will be between plays) and what sort of impact it has on the game (and the assigned seating). Could be the distraction Lafayette's been looking for for the past four seasons (I know they game planned for it).

Mattymc727
March 3rd, 2016, 10:06 AM
Really impressive that UNH has been able to build a stadium during this game. Will be interesting to see at what point they switch the home side to the visitor side (assuming it will be between plays) and what sort of impact it has on the game (and the assigned seating). Could be the distraction Lafayette's been looking for for the past four seasons (I know they game planned for it).

Weve been using all those illegals Donald Drumpf wants to keep out with his wall.

65 Pard
May 23rd, 2016, 01:09 PM
Using time out to sew TRUMP on back of defensive wall jerseys.

UNHWildcat18
May 23rd, 2016, 01:40 PM

Had to bring this stupid thread back up again didn't you?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 24th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Had to bring this stupid thread back up again didn't you?

If you find it stupid, then why bother to read it????? It's pretty obvious that a bunch of people have a good time participating in it. I know I skip many threads once I'm not interested in the topic.

RichH2
May 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Anyone know where post game tailgates are?

Go...gate
May 24th, 2016, 08:20 PM

Should we now refer to LC's home venue as "Trump Field at Fisher Stadium"?

Catsfan90
May 24th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Good point. The wall will keep the LC players out.

If you find it stupid, then why bother to read it????? It's pretty obvious that a bunch of people have a good time participating in it. I know I skip many threads once I'm not interested in the topic.

Nova09
May 25th, 2016, 07:21 AM

That's a pretty existential question, getting into the what happens after everything has happened territory.

Terry2889
May 25th, 2016, 07:36 AM
That's a pretty existential question, getting into the what happens after everything has happened territory.

We all go to the big bar in the sky for free beer!

Terry2889
May 25th, 2016, 07:38 AM
We all go to the big bar in the sky for free beer!

Or, if the game lasts long enough, the Sun becomes a Red Giant at the end of its life cycle and consumes the solar system....

R3TRO
May 25th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Score update?

RichH2
May 26th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Last I heard yhe score is tied in the 403rd OT.

Gater
May 26th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I've been purposely avoiding this thread because I'm recording the game. I'm a bit bummed knowing what happens in the first 402 OT's, but in some ways I feel like it will add to the excitement when I start watching it in December 2017.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2016, 01:07 AM
I've been purposely avoiding this thread because I'm recording the game. I'm a bit bummed knowing what happens in the first 402 OT's, but in some ways I feel like it will add to the excitement when I start watching it in December 2017.

How many reels have you gone through? :D

carney2
June 1st, 2016, 09:51 AM

There are two venues: retirement villages in Florida and Arizona. Dates and times to be announced.

65 Pard
July 27th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Game delay due to extreme heat.

UNHWildcat18
July 27th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I'm sure the pards will make the playoffs in the next decade or two, we can resume then

Go...gate
July 28th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Kegs have been wheeled on to the field and the players are taking a well-deserved break, followed by a nap.....

65 Pard
November 20th, 2016, 10:36 AM
It's Playoff time.....waiting for coaching change in Pardsville so we have a chance to win this game.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2016, 10:39 AM
UNH has requested to play the entire Lehigh Valley FCS contingent in a playoff game.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Will Lehigh play the first half followed by Lafayette? Or will Pards go first?

Go...gate
November 20th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Pretty good trick by Lafayette, getting the NCAA to substitute them for Lehigh in the play-offs.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Pretty good trick by Lafayette, getting the NCAA to substitute them for Lehigh in the play-offs.

Everyone outside of the PL and Lehigh Valley confuses us anyhow...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2016, 08:37 AM
"But wait... That's the Marching 97's music!"

Go...gate
November 30th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Will Frank Tavani continue to coach Lafayette in this game?

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Will Frank Tavani continue to coach Lafayette in this game?

Continue or start?

Go...gate
December 1st, 2016, 01:04 PM
Continue or start?

Now, now....

Bogus Megapardus
February 6th, 2017, 08:27 PM
A note to Pard and UNH fans (and anyone else interested) - I had been having trouble loading AGS on my (windows 10-based) desktop computer (using Firefox). Something was causing AGS to hang and not fully load. By trial and error I figured out that the culprit was a script from taptalk.com that is used to load AGS on mobile devices.

Obviously you don't want to block taptalk.com on your mobile device, but if you're having trouble on your windows-based desktop or laptop, you might want to try using your script editor to parse out "*.taptalk.com" temporarily. It worked nicely for me.

Go...gate
February 7th, 2017, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the alert, Bogie!

Bogus Megapardus
February 7th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the alert, Bogie!

It's a prime excuse to bump this thread, too.

Go...gate
February 8th, 2017, 12:47 AM
It's a prime excuse to bump this thread, too.

It is, indeed! xsmashx xcoachx xshakefistx xhandshakex xbeerchugx

Bogus Megapardus
February 14th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Congrats to 'Gate - looks like you guys won the recruiting battle for Abdoul Kouyate of Blair Academy, leaving Lafayette and New Hampshire to wonder what might have been.

Go...gate
February 15th, 2017, 07:47 PM
We have always done well recruiting from Blair. I understand the youngster is a fine prospect.

KPSUL
February 19th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Congrats to 'Gate - looks like you guys won the recruiting battle for Abdoul Kouyate of Blair Academy, leaving Lafayette and New Hampshire to wonder what might have been.

For the better! The UNH announcer wouldn't be able to pronounce his name correctly.

Bogus Megapardus
February 21st, 2017, 08:42 PM
For the better! The UNH announcer wouldn't be able to pronounce his name correctly.

Sound quality and acoustics at the new UNH facility are first rate, from what I understand. I imagine even words otherwise unintelligible to the Granite State ear such as "Maine" and "William & Mary" will be understood without modification or translation.

KPSUL
February 21st, 2017, 08:53 PM
Sound quality and acoustics at the new UNH facility are first rate, from what I understand. I imagine even words otherwise unintelligible to the Granite State ear such as "Maine" and "William & Mary" will be understood without modification or translation.

True enough, great video and second-to-none sound system. The only words I couldn't stand hearing at Wildcat Stadium last season were "Ibitotun-Hanks". After saying it 50+ carriers and about 1000 rushing yards, the public address announcer got that name down perfectly! (Albany RB)

Bogus Megapardus
February 21st, 2017, 09:17 PM
True enough, great video and second-to-none sound system. The only words I couldn't stand hearing at Wildcat Stadium last season were "Ibitotun-Hanks". After saying it 50+ carriers and about 1000 rushing yards, the public address announcer got that name down perfectly! (Albany RB)

My pet peeve is the mispronunciation of the word "Lafayette." In yet another example, the announcer for a lacrosse game last week at Binghamton insisted on saying, "Lah-FOY-ette" or some such ridiculous thing. Durham is considerably closer to Québec than is Binghamton, so I imagine the UNH guys will have it down by the time we start the second half of our game.

Lehigh does it to us on purpose, of course - constantly. But just imagine if you took a road trip down to Kingston, RI and they kept saying,"New-Hampt-SHIRE".

Bogus Megapardus
February 21st, 2017, 09:23 PM
Also - when you travel to Stony Brook, remember it's called "Lawn Guyland".

KPSUL
February 21st, 2017, 09:26 PM
. But just imagine if you took a road trip down to Kingston, RI and they kept saying,"New-Hampt-SHIRE".

That would be poor form, everyone knows it's pronounced "New Hampsha"

Bogus Megapardus
February 21st, 2017, 09:33 PM
That would be poor form, everyone knows it's pronounced "New Hampsha"

I used to live in Lynnfield, MA, not terribly far from Durham. But down there, we didn't pronounce the "p" or the "w". It was "Neh-HAM-shah". We'd go to PAHT-smit for LAHBS-tahs.

Go...gate
February 22nd, 2017, 12:41 AM
I've been to PAHT-smit......

Mattymc727
February 22nd, 2017, 06:52 AM
I have a french canadian grandmother who grew up in Salem, MA and pronounces it Nah HampSHEER. Its crazy.

RichH2
February 22nd, 2017, 01:49 PM
I grew up in Center Ossippee. My Dad said we lived in Nahamsha. One word.:)

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2017, 12:27 AM
I love that dialect.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 23rd, 2017, 05:46 PM
Listened to a little Lafayette College radio (104.9 FM) today as I passed through Easton on my way to the Architects Golf Club in Jersey. DJ Anxiety was rocking it! It will probably be the only time in my life I hear "Anklebiters" by Paramore....

UNHWildcat18
February 23rd, 2017, 07:24 PM
Thought this thread finally died... Guess Ill have to pull a citdog

Lafayette sucks

Go...gate
February 24th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Listened to a little Lafayette College radio (104.9 FM) today as I passed through Easton on my way to the Architects Golf Club in Jersey. DJ Anxiety was rocking it! It will probably be the only time in my life I hear "Anklebiters" by Paramore....

Good day to play. Next two looking all right as well!

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2017, 05:56 PM
I have a french canadian grandmother who grew up in Salem, MA and pronounces it Nah HampSHEER. Its crazy.

I have an ancestor who actually was tried as a which in Salem. For being a Quaker. So they exiled her to New Jersey. xnonox

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2017, 06:23 PM

Glad you tuned in, Owl. Once in a while I filled in as a DJ at WJRH during my days at Lafayette. It was completely free form - we could play whatever we liked, and bring our own vinyl if we wanted (as long as it was logged properly). I liked to play selections from the Dead Kennedys, Lou Reed, Stiff Little Fingers and Misfits - and a lot of Zappa. Ahh, those were the days.

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2017, 10:20 PM
Since we're discussing UNH opponents other than Lafayette College, perhaps it is propitious to address the Albany accent. Yes, Virginia, there is indeed an Albany accent. I was born in the area, where any second grader can spell "Schenectady" by rote and everybody there knows the name of the state capital is pronounced "HAWB-nee." Two syllables, and there's no "L."

Regrettably, there is no specific Easton PA accent of which I am aware. There is, however, an idiomatic dialect unique to the mountain region of nearby Bethlehem. Linguists report that it amounts to a random sequence of guttural urgings punctuated at times by yelps and howls in encouragement of intemperate behavior. Native speakers once considered codifying their vernacular but none of them knows how to spell yet.

DFW HOYA
March 4th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Since we're discussing UNH opponents other than Lafayette College, perhaps it is propitious to address the Albany accent. Yes, Virginia, there is indeed an Albany accent. I was born in the area, where any second grader can spell "Schenectady" by rote and everybody there knows the name of the state capital is pronounced "HAWB-nee." Two syllables, and there's no "L.".

But can they spell Skaneateles?

KPSUL
March 4th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Since we're discussing UNH opponents other than Lafayette College, perhaps it is propitious to address the Albany accent. Yes, Virginia, there is indeed an Albany accent. I was born in the area, where any second grader can spell "Schenectady" by rote and everybody there knows the name of the state capital is pronounced "HAWB-nee." Two syllables, and there's no "L."

Regrettably, there is no specific Easton PA accent of which I am aware. There is, however, an idiomatic dialect unique to the mountain region of nearby Bethlehem. Linguists report that it amounts to a random sequence of guttural urgings punctuated at times by yelps and howls in encouragement of intemperate behavior. Native speakers once considered codifying their vernacular but none of them knows how to spell yet.

As you probably know, UNH coach Sean McDonnell is originally from the Albany area. I'll have to go back to his U of Albany Pre-Game interview to see how he pronounces it. But like every else at UNH, I'm sure he can now pronounce Ibitokun-Hanks

Bogus Megapardus
March 5th, 2017, 09:09 PM

The folks at Colgate and Cornell can spell "Skaneateles" because it's a Finger Lakes thing. Flatlanders can't even pronounce it. A census-taker from Buffalo once tried but the results weren't pretty. They ate his liver, with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Go...gate
March 5th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Great town. Home of The Krebs restaurant.

Go...gate
March 5th, 2017, 09:12 PM
The folks at Colgate and Cornell can spell "Skaneateles" because it's a Finger Lakes thing. Flatlanders can't even pronounce it. A census-taker from Buffalo once tried but the results weren't pretty. They ate his liver, with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Wells, Keuka, Syracuse, SUNY-Morrisville, Cazenovia and others, too.

Bogus Megapardus
March 5th, 2017, 09:20 PM
As you probably know, UNH coach Sean McDonnell is originally from the Albany area. I'll have to go back to his U of Albany Pre-Game interview to see how he pronounces it. But like every else at UNH, I'm sure he can now pronounce Ibitokun-Hanks

So, then, the rumor is false that "Ibitokun-Hanks" merely is "Tom Hanks" spelled sideways?

Bogus Megapardus
March 5th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Wells, Keuka, Syracuse, SUNY-Morrisville, Cazenovia and others, too.

Syracuse? I thought they couldn't even pronounce their own name, much less spell it. xrolleyesx

EDIT - I confess that I do adore Hinerwadel's salt potatoes, however. Very much so. Fire-roasted salt potatoes (with whatever you catch that day) and a case of Utica Club really are all a man needs in life. Throw in a Beef n' Weck for the row back to camp and you've got Nirvana.

Bogus Megapardus
March 5th, 2017, 11:15 PM

Proof there is no "L" in Albany. The (former) long-time mayor of Albany, a true native speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pyF7nQuiI

Listen to the local news anchor, regarding swearing in the new mayor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySM4EbvbZ2A

Gate83
March 6th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Great town. Home of The Krebs restaurant.

Mo's Grill is now a real estate office. I'm not going back until that's reversed...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/skaneateles_bar_closed.html

Bogus Megapardus
March 7th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Between UNH's new digs and the latest Georgetown proposal, I kind of have to go with UNH . . . xnodx

Mattymc727
March 7th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Between UNH's new digs and the latest Georgetown proposal, I kind of have to go with UNH . . . xnodx

At the very least we have a place for visitors to sit...

Bogus Megapardus
March 7th, 2017, 11:36 AM
At the very least we have a place for visitors to sit...

UNH respects its visitors, even if they come from the PL. Georgetown on the other hand . . . :(

Go...gate
March 7th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Syracuse? I thought they couldn't even pronounce their own name, much less spell it. xrolleyesx

EDIT - I confess that I do adore Hinerwadel's salt potatoes, however. Very much so. Fire-roasted salt potatoes (with whatever you catch that day) and a case of Utica Club really are all a man needs in life. Throw in a Beef n' Weck for the row back to camp and you've got Nirvana.

Ah, memories.

Bill
March 8th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Ah, memories.

Utica Club?

I sure hope they are good memories!

Bogus Megapardus
March 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Utica Club?

I sure hope they are good memories!

AKA Uncle Charlie.

"I'm gonna grab a couple of Chucks and go fix that mooring before the storm hits."

"Oh, be careful, dear."

Bogus Megapardus
March 9th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Mo's Grill is now a real estate office. I'm not going back until that's reversed...

I have a friend from my (suburban Philly) high school days who lives in Skaneateles. He's a terrific blues guitar player, and I think he used to play at Morris's Grill on occasion. I'll try to find out what he knows.

http://i63.tinypic.com/f25t1u.jpg

EDIT - Google can't find a "Morris Bar" in New Hampshire, but there are several people named Morris who are admitted to the Bar in the Granite State. I'll wager that some of them are fans of UNH football who have seen a UNH-Lafayette game or another UNH-versus-Patriot-League game. Also many people in New Hampshire, including UNH alumni, ride motorcycles, drink beer and enjoy local music (as I do). As always, then, the current direction of this thread fits perfectly within its original construct.

Gate83
March 9th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I have a friend from my (suburban Philly) high school days who lives in Skaneateles. He's a terrific blues guitar player, and I think he used to play at Morris's Grill on occasion. I'll try to find out what he knows.

http://i63.tinypic.com/f25t1u.jpg

EDIT - Google can't find a "Morris Bar" in New Hampshire, but there are several people named Morris who are admitted to the Bar in the Granite State. I'll wager that some of them are fans of UNH football who have seen a UNH-Lafayette game or another UNH-versus-Patriot-League game. Also many people in New Hampshire, including UNH alumni, ride motorcycles, drink beer and enjoy local music (as I do). As always, then, the current direction of this thread fits perfectly within its original construct.

I've now done some further research & find that the real estate office has been converted back to a drinking establishment, though in no way do I think the Lakehouse Pub resembles the original Mo's. I mean, the first Yelp review talks about a martini review? Should've stayed a brokerage. https://www.yelp.com/biz/lakehouse-pub-skaneateles

Related, during halftime of Laffy/UNH I went north for the Gate/Wildcat halftime show. Libby's in downtown Durham is a lot closer to the original Mo's than the Lakehouse looks to be, and I met CatsFan90 there after the game. I'm sure he wishes the Leopards good luck in the second half!

bulldog10jw
March 10th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Am I the only person that never responded to this thread? Well, until now.

Bill
March 10th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the Black Hole of AGS...

Bogus Megapardus
March 10th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Am I the only person that never responded to this thread? Well, until now.

The rules are easy. Just make sure your posts occasionally make reference to the main topic of the thread. For example, "I know somebody whose cousin went to New Hampshire" or "I can find Easton, Pennsylvania on a map."

BTW the game is still at halftime and the first half stats remain pending. As expected, UNH is ahead by a comfortable margin. When play resumes it will be in a completely different, brand new facility in Durham. Not only will the teams switch sides on the field, the fans will be asked to switch sides as well. And the Leopards will emerge from their locker room with an entirely different coaching staff. Derogatory Frank Tavani hand-puppets will be discouraged but not prohibited.

citdog
March 10th, 2017, 05:09 PM
The rules are easy. Just make sure your posts occasionally make reference to the main topic of the thread. For example, "I know somebody whose cousin went to New Hampshire" or "I can find Easton, Pennsylvania on a map."

BTW the game is still at halftime and the first half stats remain pending. As expected, UNH is ahead by a comfortable margin. When play resumes it will be in a completely different, brand new facility in Durham. Not only will the teams switch sides on the field, the fans will be asked to switch sides as well. And the Leopards will emerge from their locker room with an entirely different coaching staff. Derogatory Frank Tavani hand-puppets will be discouraged but not prohibited.

I'm pretty sure my Great Great Grandaddy ran through a couple of UNH grads with his sword during the late war.

He also rode his horse to Pennsylvania in the summer of 1863.

KPSUL
March 10th, 2017, 05:34 PM

Yes, but it was a very short stay.

citdog
March 10th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Yes, but it was a very short stay.

He also helped burn down Chambersburg, Pa in revenge for yankee Genl Hunter burning down VMI. Ironic don't you think?

Bogus Megapardus
March 10th, 2017, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure my Great Great Grandaddy ran through a couple of UNH grads with his sword during the late war.

Indeed - but were you aware that Thomas Jonathan Jackson married a yankee? -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176644-Campus-quot-Tour-quot&p=2447287&viewfull=1#post2447287

cx500d
March 10th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Indeed - but were you aware that Thomas Jonathan Jackson married a yankee? -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?176644-Campus-quot-Tour-quot&p=2447287&viewfull=1#post2447287

Maybe it was a marriage of convenience...Or maybe she had really nice tits.

Bogus Megapardus
March 10th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Maybe it was a marriage of convenience...Or maybe she had really nice tits.

Hmm . . . hard to tell.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2hozm0m.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
March 10th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Here's a better view . . .

http://i63.tinypic.com/2r5redg.jpg

KPSUL
March 10th, 2017, 08:19 PM
He also helped burn down Chambersburg, Pa in revenge for yankee Genl Hunter burning down VMI. Ironic don't you think?

Don't sell your boys short, you also took Carlisle Barracks for a spell.

Bogus Megapardus
March 10th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Just to add one more for those with prurient interests, they've restored the bed at the Buckhorn Inn (Churchville, VA) where Ellie and Stonewall got it on:

http://i63.tinypic.com/1z3xzb9.jpg

Go...gate
March 10th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Don't sell your boys short, you also took Carlisle Barracks for a spell.

Lobbed a few cannonballs off the Cumberland County Court House, as well.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 11th, 2017, 03:29 PM

Sorry Dawg, but UNH's roots only go back to 1866.

65 Pard
March 12th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Bogie, some trivia:

WJRH in the basement of Hogg Hall....call letters honoring James R Hogg....I was Jazz DJ in first year on the air...."In Easton, this is WJRH 90.5 on your FM dial"

Bogus Megapardus
March 12th, 2017, 02:49 PM
call letters honoring James R Hogg

I'd always wondered if Hogg Hall's namesake was related to Boss Hogg . . .

http://i67.tinypic.com/sb3ke8.jpg

citdog
March 12th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I'd always wondered if Hogg Hall's namesake was related to Boss Hogg . . .

http://i67.tinypic.com/sb3ke8.jpg

Jefferson Davis Hogg

TribeNomad1
March 12th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Glad you tuned in, Owl. Once in a while I filled in as a DJ at WJRH during my days at Lafayette. It was completely free form - we could play whatever we liked, and bring our own vinyl if we wanted (as long as it was logged properly). I liked to play selections from the Dead Kennedys, Lou Reed, Stiff Little Fingers and Misfits - and a lot of Zappa. Ahh, those were the days.
Were the Dead Kennedys the band that sang, "it's too late to make love to Sharon Tate"??

Bogus Megapardus
March 12th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Were the Dead Kennedys the band that sang, "it's too late to make love to Sharon Tate"??

That was Jim Carroll (of "The Basketball Diaries"). I can't recall the Dead Kennedys ever doing a cover. But they were the ones who coined the phrase, "California Über Alles." A lovely little ditty.

Bogus Megapardus
March 12th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Jefferson Davis Hogg

Perhaps his mama was a yankee.

TribeNomad1
March 12th, 2017, 03:46 PM
That was Jim Carroll (of "The Basketball Diaries"). I can't recall the Dead Kennedys ever doing a cover. But they were the ones who coined the phrase, "California Über Alles." A lovely little ditty.

Oh yes, those salad days of youth.........

Today I am a middle aged guy working on my taxes........

Bogus Megapardus
March 12th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Today I am a middle aged guy working on my taxes........

+1

EDIT - But I actually had a brief career as a punk rock bassist after college. And I still have the well-worn bass. The bass was made in Fullerton, California, though, not in Durham or Easton.

TribeNomad1
March 12th, 2017, 06:19 PM
+1

EDIT - But I actually had a brief career as a punk rock bassist after college. And I still have the well-worn bass. The bass was made in Fullerton, California, though, not in Durham or Easton.

Hey, I one stayed at a Holiday Inn Express......

Bogus Megapardus
March 12th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Hey, I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express......

Durham and Easton each have a Holiday Inn Express.

I guess the question ought to be, which FCS town does not have a Holiday Inn Express?

Go...gate
March 13th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Hamilton, NY does NOT have a Holiday Inn Express.

Gate83
March 13th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Hamilton, NY does NOT have a Holiday Inn Express.

Have you stayed at the Wendt Inn? HIE is a step up...

citdog
March 13th, 2017, 01:35 PM
the Wendt Inn?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ6gJ29S1W_nAy5iiUcX-C5cVCsV0b-GJE-LIyK7hmYTsBv4z-

Bogus Megapardus
March 13th, 2017, 07:37 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ6gJ29S1W_nAy5iiUcX-C5cVCsV0b-GJE-LIyK7hmYTsBv4z-

My dad lived on Beacon St. next door to the Bull and Finch when he was a kid. That's how I learned about swan boats and Schlitz draft.

There are no decent neighborhood bars in the south. Just sloppy roadhouses.

KPSUL
March 14th, 2017, 03:55 PM
My dad lived on Beacon St. next door to the Bull and Finch when he was a kid. That's how I learned about swan boats and Schlitz draft.

There are no decent neighborhood bars in the south. Just sloppy roadhouses.

So you're a Beacon Hill Brahmin ? My father was a Southie Mic !

ngineer
March 14th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Durham and Easton each have a Holiday Inn Express.

I guess the question ought to be, which FCS town does not have a Holiday Inn Express?

Hamilton, for sure!

Bogus Megapardus
March 15th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Hamilton, for sure!

Agreed. There's really no good spot in Hamilton for a Holiday Inn Express. You probably have to drive up to the Thruway to find one.

Bogus Megapardus
March 15th, 2017, 06:53 AM
So you're a Beacon Hill Brahmin ? My father was a Southie Mic !

I'm a mixed breed. Grand-dad was an Orange Scot from Ontario. Grand-mom came to Boston off the boat from County Clare.

Gate83
March 15th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Agreed. There's really no good spot in Hamilton for a Holiday Inn Express. You probably have to drive up to the Thruway to find one.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24754&stc=1

Yep, a nice looking one in Utica half a mile off the Thruway. And only 1.5 miles to Tiny's Grill, which featured pig's feet and pickled eggs back in the day... although the real attraction was proximity to Matt's Brewery. Nothing like a UC from the source!

Bogus Megapardus
March 16th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Doing a quick check, it looks like every NEC, CAA, SoCon, Ivy and PL campus has a Holiday Inn Express within 15 minutes or less - except Colgate. I'm including White River Junction, VT for Dartmouth (which had me worried). Even Lewisburg, PA has a Holiday Inn Express

'Gate Raiders are going to have to get with the program.

Bill
March 16th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Colgate does, however, have the "Colgate Inn". A fine establishment that I have had the pleasure of staying at several times...Do any other of the PL/Ivy etc. have a hotel named after the school? It's not technically on campus - but if you cross the street you're there.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24763&stc=1

Bogus Megapardus
March 17th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Do any other of the PL/Ivy etc. have a hotel named after the school? It's not technically on campus - but if you cross the street you're there.

http://i66.tinypic.com/309nhbr.jpg

One block from Fisher Field.

CFBfan
March 17th, 2017, 04:42 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/309nhbr.jpg

One block from Fisher Field.

the gate inn is in a much nicer area though

Bogus Megapardus
March 17th, 2017, 06:50 PM
the gate inn is in a much nicer area though

If by "nicer area" you mean in the middle of the boondocks where you can't even find a decent Holiday Inn Express, I suppose you're right. xcoolx

Go...gate
March 19th, 2017, 02:07 AM
Princeton University had the "Princeton Inn" on campus of of Alexander Road but it was converted into a residential living unit and a residential college, Princeton's first following co-education. It was known from 1970 - 1983 as "Princeton Inn College" and was re-named "Forbes College" as a result of a gift by Malcolm Forbes, PU '41.

Go...gate
March 19th, 2017, 02:14 AM
Colgate does, however, have the "Colgate Inn". A fine establishment that I have had the pleasure of staying at several times...Do any other of the PL/Ivy etc. have a hotel named after the school? It's not technically on campus - but if you cross the street you're there.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24763&stc=1

The Colgate Inn is a very nice place but is taken over by the Colgate Society of Families on home football weekends and other important University events. There was a Motel 6 or some equivalent just outside Hamilton, but I do not know if it is still in business. More often than not I get up very early on Saturday mornings and drive the 240 miles (give or take) from Princeton or Lawrenceville to Hamilton, walk the campus a bit, get a quick dinner and drive back. As I am getting a good bit older, though, that is not as easy. Really wish there was a decent place near campus.

Bogus Megapardus
March 19th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Really wish there was a decent place near campus.

Go...gate: what is this place? is it new? It's on Utica St. just above the village.

http://wendtinn.com/

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ypm1ah.jpg

CFBfan
March 19th, 2017, 11:43 AM
the wendt inn, been there a long time, cheap rooms, similiar to am old HoJo wendt also has cabins just doen the road on lake moraine

Gate83
March 20th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Go...gate: what is this place? is it new? It's on Utica St. just above the village.

http://wendtinn.com/

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ypm1ah.jpg

The Wendt is less than half a mile from the one traffic light in downtown Hammy, and is the nearest thing to a HIE in the area. It also sells out for every big football weekend... and is wide open 40 weeks out of the year. We are, after all, in the boondocks! And happily so...

Go...gate
March 23rd, 2017, 03:51 PM
Is that the motel heading out on 12B that was a Motel 6 or some equivalent?

Gate83
March 26th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Definitely on 12B, but was a cornfield in its prior life. Meanwhile, up in Hammy for the Joe Biden chat on Friday & Spring practice is underway. 30 & raining, they should feel right at home!

Go...gate
March 26th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Definitely on 12B, but was a cornfield in its prior life. Meanwhile, up in Hammy for the Joe Biden chat on Friday & Spring practice is underway. 30 & raining, they should feel right at home!

I heard he gave a great speech.

Go...gate
March 26th, 2017, 10:42 PM

That is the former Motel 6 (or other mid-major chain) that apparently became independent.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Lest we forget.

I believe Frank Tavani is still roaming the sidelines for the Leopards.

melloware13
September 14th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Lest we forget.

I believe Frank Tavani is still roaming the sidelines for the Leopards.
Am I a bad person to question if he involved himself in the Leopards lacrosse program recently

KPSUL
September 15th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Am I being punished here for the harmless quip I made about PL posters stealing threads to endlessly talk about expansion ?

Go...gate
September 15th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Am I being punished here for the harmless quip I made about PL posters stealing threads to endlessly talk about expansion ?

Not at all. I appreciate the reminder! I hope it will also bring Bogus Megapardus back from his Summer vacation.

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Not at all. I appreciate the reminder! I hope it will also bring Bogus Megapardus back from his Summer vacation.

Hi there, 'gate.

Anybody know the score? Anybody know what quarter we're in?

KPSUL
October 8th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Just store this for a 6 or 7 weeks, you might need it again. Lafayette, PL Champ with an overall losing record. UNH sneaking into the playoffs with a 7-4 record. Deja-Vu all over again.

Go...gate
October 8th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Hi there, 'gate.

Anybody know the score? Anybody know what quarter we're in?

Hey, Bogus Megapardus! Trying to get caught up myself after putting my girlfriend on the train!

superman7515
October 8th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Hey, Bogus Megapardus! Trying to get caught up myself after putting my girlfriend on the train!

You filthy degenerate.

Go...gate
October 8th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Never, ever count out an old bachelor. She's a Georgetown grad and and we saw the Hoyas-Tigers game yesterday.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2017, 04:37 PM
In honor of UNH making the playoffs and a 5-6 team earning their way in!!

*bump*

LehighU11
November 19th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Don't hate the playa, hate the game xpeacex

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Hey another cold gameday in Durham I'm sure! Wow 2013 seems a long time ago!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Hey another cold gameday in Durham I'm sure! Wow 2013 seems a long time ago!

Did you go up? I went to UNH last year! Beautiful town and campus but a long drive. And I do a lot of long distance driving....

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Did you go up? I went to UNH last year! Beautiful town and campus but a long drive. And I do a lot of long distance driving....

Ever been to Orono?

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2017, 05:08 PM

Yes I did...I flew up to Boston. Yes first time at UNH and Durham is a great town. I had made a UNH friend off the board here and we had dinner Friday night in downtown Portsmouth. He was staying at the Rochester NH Microtel too it so happened. It was sunny and a high of 30 degrees for the game but thankfully not even a breeze so tolerable!

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Ever been to Orono?

No but have been to Portland, Bar Harbor and when I exited from Bar decided to drive north to Bangor to pick up I-95 back to Boston. That was a mini vaca after a conference in Boston. Would like to play the Bears again in Orono. I would go!

Go...gate
November 19th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Glad to see the return of this thread! Is Tavani still prowling the sidelines for Lafayette?

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Glad to see the return of this thread! Is Tavani still prowling the sidelines for Lafayette?

There in spirit - I think?

carney2
November 20th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Ever been to Orono?

Yes, but never for a football game. Can't believe that with all the vacant land in that state, someone decided to go to the absolute edge of the earth and then said "Let's go another hundred miles or so before we found our state university."

kdinva
November 20th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Glad to see the return of this thread!

xviolinx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Yes I did...I flew up to Boston. Yes first time at UNH and Durham is a great town. I had made a UNH friend off the board here and we had dinner Friday night in downtown Portsmouth. He was staying at the Rochester NH Microtel too it so happened. It was sunny and a high of 30 degrees for the game but thankfully not even a breeze so tolerable!

I drove to Worcester that Friday (day after Thanksgiving) and that alone was brutal with traffic. 84 through CT is an absolutely nightmare. I absolutely love New England, but rural New England. The Durham area was super nice but it's a super annoying drive.

Catsfan90
February 14th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Guys I've had to pee for a few years now. Shake it and move along! I don't want to miss the fourth quarter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RichH2
February 14th, 2018, 08:31 PM
A bit early. 4th quarter doesnt start until after Spring practice. It has to last us until season starts. :)

Gater
February 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM
I don't want to take this thread off the rails, but has anyone done a comprehensive preview of this game? Playing a bit of catch-up.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to take this thread off the rails, but has anyone done a comprehensive preview of this game? Playing a bit of catch-up.

Go...gate
February 18th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Wondered what had happened to this old chestnut.

RichH2
February 19th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Hope Bogie returns to add his wit.

Bill
February 19th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Hope Bogie returns to add his wit.

And if he doesn't, We'll always have Durham.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27136&stc=1

RichH2
February 21st, 2018, 07:20 PM
And if he doesn't, We'll always have Durham.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27136&stc=1xlolxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxdrunkyx

Well done. Thanks

Go...gate
July 17th, 2018, 12:35 AM
No sign of Bogus Megapardus. He has been missed.

KPSUL
July 17th, 2018, 05:18 PM
No sign of Bogus Megapardus. He has been missed.

Sorry to get off topic on this vital and timely thread, but I'm looking forward to the Colgate @ UNH game this season, it should be a good one!

cx500d
July 17th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Sorry to get off topic on this vital and timely thread, but I'm looking forward to the Colgate @ UNH game this season, it should be a good one!

Certainly better than the Lafayette game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
July 17th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Wondered what had happened to this old chestnut.

They're still at it? Did someone tell him?

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/sports_impact/photo/11645640-large.jpg

carney2
July 18th, 2018, 08:43 AM
They're still at it? Did someone tell him?

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/sports_impact/photo/11645640-large.jpg

Doesn't matter. He's as interested now as he was during the last 5 or 6 years of his career.

superman7515
November 19th, 2018, 11:09 AM
This is what happens when UNH spends all season focused on finishing one game.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2018, 12:12 PM
New Hampshire might want this little scouting report as they prepare for their big matchup against Lafayette

https://twitter.com/LehighFootball/status/1063851416819822593

Go...gate
November 19th, 2018, 12:19 PM
The gift that keeps on giving!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2018, 12:24 PM
It's amazing how time flies; 5 years ago? wow!!

I wonder if a certain OC who departed around this time could be resurfacing at a certain school who's dreadful performance against the school from Easton allowed this game to take place.

RichH2
November 19th, 2018, 12:44 PM
It's amazing how time flies; 5 years ago? wow!!

I wonder if a certain OC who departed around this time could be resurfacing at a certain school who's dreadful performance against the school from Easton allowed this game to take place.
More grist for the currently overloaded rumor mill. :)

ngineer
November 19th, 2018, 01:58 PM
New Hampshire might want this little scouting report as they prepare for their big matchup against Lafayette

https://twitter.com/LehighFootball/status/1063851416819822593

"Last" touchdown??? it was the first play of the game from scrimmage.

But really set the tone.

KPSUL
November 19th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Neither team has much to do the rest of the Fall, let's get a 5 year anniversary rematch scheduled !

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Neither team has much to do the rest of the Fall, let's get a 5 year anniversary rematch scheduled !

Rematch? You mean that they're not playing this weekend?

I thought UNH always played in the postseason?

RichH2
November 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Happy Anniversary to all. I will raise a single malt for Bogie's safe return from the northern climes of ice.
Looking forward to another 5 years of pettyfoggery .

KPSUL
November 19th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Rematch? You mean that they're not playing this weekend?

I thought UNH always played in the postseason?

Finally, a well deserved Break !

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 27th, 2018, 12:33 PM
This popped up yesterday as a FB "anniversary". This was 36 hours I'll never get back...

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15268025_1351382574894170_6787807969706375142_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=6140ae54bf5c822ee619f3386f876a03&oe=5CA2A3D3

Go...gate
November 27th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Happy Anniversary to all. I will raise a single malt for Bogie's safe return from the northern climes of ice.
Looking forward to another 5 years of pettyfoggery .

Raising a glass to Bogus Megapardus!

Pards Rule
November 29th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Five years ago today, a Friday afternoon, I flew up to Bahstun to rent a car and bunk overnight at the Microtel Inn in Rochester NH for the next days game. I just recall it was cold Saturday the 30th but thankfully no wind and sunny and 30 degrees. That was the only good thing about the game.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2021, 09:36 PM
Welcome back my friends, to the thread that never ends . . . .

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Lafayette College is 277 miles from the University of New Hampshire, as the crow flies. Or 24,624 miles, if the crow flies backwards.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2021, 10:09 PM
In the years that have passed since this thread first was posted, I am fearful that "Beers of the Patriot League" possibly has devolved to "Insipidly Flavored Hard Seltzers of the Patriot League."

I hope I'm wrong about this.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2021, 10:15 PM
Did you know . . . UNH uses landfill gas as a primary energy source.

Time's yours.

Bill
September 14th, 2021, 10:31 PM
I fear this is the Delta variant of this thread.

Bogus Megapardus
September 14th, 2021, 11:00 PM
I fear this is the Delta variant of this thread.

Or the "moo" variant . . .

https://i.postimg.cc/sDR61Q4W/wildecat.jpg

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2021, 11:10 PM
Coaches of the Patriot League when this thread started:

Dick Biddle, Colgate
Joe Susan, Bucknell
Joe Moorhead, Fordham
Kevin Kelly, Georgetown
Tom Gilmore, Holy Cross
Frank Tavani, Lafayette
Andy Coen, Lehigh

The Boogie Down
September 14th, 2021, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... Starting to feel like Bogie (who I can't hit again until I spread more reputation around) only came back to restart and fully fuel this one thread. xbowx

The Boogie Down
September 14th, 2021, 11:22 PM
Coaches of the Patriot League when this thread started:

Dick Biddle, Colgate
Joe Susan, Bucknell
Joe Moorhead, Fordham
Kevin Kelly, Georgetown
Tom Gilmore, Holy Cross
Frank Tavani, Lafayette
Andy Coen, Lehigh

Just wow... But good to see Gilmore still around xdrunkyx

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Happy to be back on this thread after a long absence. Im trying to recall (help me) is this the first time UNH has been to Easton since my sophomore year in November 1981??

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Happy to be back on this thread after a long absence. Im trying to recall (help me) is this the first time UNH has been to Easton since my sophomore year in November 1981??

According to the 2021 Pardsville Media Guide, the series looks like this:

11/8/1980 Durham 6-26 L

11/7/1981 Easton 18-21 L

9/15/1984 Easton 7-21 L

9/14/1985 Durham 20-7 W

10/11/1986 Easton 16-20 L

10/24/1987 Durham 19-21 L

11/30/2013 Durham 7-45 L

So, the Wildcats have yet to experience the splendor of the Taj Mafootball. May they fumble often in awe of its magnificence. Otherwise, we probably don't have a prayer.

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2021, 05:56 PM
The cumulative mass of New Hampshire's rostered offensive line is 2.25 tons. Lafayette's OL tips the scale at 2.18 tons.

Together, they exceed the limit of several of New England's bucolic covered bridges.

KPSUL
September 15th, 2021, 06:53 PM
Lafayette's defense looked pretty good vs W&M last week. One of Bill and Mary's TDs was bogus (sorry Megapardus), that ball bounced off the ground, not the receivers hands. The first TD was a pick 6, so I'd say they only gave up one legitimate TD. Although, I really don't know, I didn't see the last one. That game was so bad offensively that I stopped watching when it was 17-3. It was a penalty and punting fest in the first half.

There should be a couple hundred UNH fans at the game, me being one of them. Quite a few UNH players from PA, so we may be augmented by their friends and family.

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2021, 07:23 PM
There should be a couple hundred UNH fans at the game, me being one of them. Quite a few UNH players from PA, so we may be augmented by their friends and family.

Excellent. Try to save a little time to walk the campus a bit. Parking? Unless you're tailgating, try to park on the side streets east of Fisher Field. Pre-game libations may be found at College Hill Tavern, corner of Monroe and Cattell Streets.

Any questions, ask away.

KPSUL
September 15th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Excellent. Try to save a little time to walk the campus a bit. Parking? Unless you're tailgating, try to park on the side streets east of Fisher Field. Pre-game libations may be found at College Hill Tavern, corner of Monroe and Cattell Streets.

Any questions, ask away.

How early do you need to get to the Bushkill Commons Parking lot to get a parking space?

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:06 PM
According to the 2021 Pardsville Media Guide, the series looks like this:

11/8/1980 Durham 6-26 L

11/7/1981 Easton 18-21 L

9/15/1984 Easton 7-21 L

9/14/1985 Durham 20-7 W

10/11/1986 Easton 16-20 L

10/24/1987 Durham 19-21 L

11/30/2013 Durham 7-45 L

So, the Wildcats have yet to experience the splendor of the Taj Mafootball. May they fumble often in awe of its magnificence. Otherwise, we probably don't have a prayer.
Thank you! So 35th anniversary of last Easton appearance!

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Lafayette's defense looked pretty good vs W&M last week. One of Bill and Mary's TDs was bogus (sorry Megapardus), that ball bounced off the ground, not the receivers hands. The first TD was a pick 6, so I'd say they only gave up one legitimate TD. Although, I really don't know, I didn't see the last one. That game was so bad offensively that I stopped watching when it was 17-3. It was a penalty and punting fest in the first half.

Welcome to Easton!

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2021, 08:27 PM
How early do you need to get to the Bushkill Commons Parking lot to get a parking space?

It's a new lot, sort of behind the stadium. I'm not sure when it will fill up, but I wouldn't worry.

If you're meeting some folks, the Sullivan Deck makes for a much more pleasant and enjoyable stroll through campus, though. Make your way on the path in front of South College and around Colton Chapel. You'll be better off for it.

The Bushkill lot sort of sits in the shadow of the hulking, brutalist Kirby Sports Center. We'd all be happier here if you experienced a bit of the campus and entered the stadium from the top, the way it was meant to be seen. It's a five minute walk wither way.

Lafayette might not have much of a football team, but it's a helluva beautiful campus. Why not enjoy it?

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2021, 08:35 PM
The Sullivan Deck is number 15 on this map -

https://goleopards.com/images/2018/7/30/2013_footbl_parking_v5.jpg

If March Field is open for parking/tailgating, by all means go there.

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2021, 08:37 PM
It's a new lot, sort of behind the stadium. I'm not sure when it will fill up, but I wouldn't worry.

If you're meeting some folks, the Sullivan Deck makes for a much more pleasant and enjoyable stroll through campus, though. Make your way on the path in front of South College and around Colton Chapel. You'll be better off for it.

The Bushkill lot sort of sits in the shadow of the hulking, brutalist Kirby Sports Center. We'd all be happier here if you experienced a bit of the campus and entered the stadium from the top, the way it was meant to be seen. It's a five minute walk wither way.

Lafayette might not have much of a football team, but it's a helluva beautiful campus. Why not enjoy it?

Is this lot new? Is this the one that has security dept offices there??

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2021, 08:41 PM
Is this lot new? Is this the one that has security dept offices there??

Yep. Sullivan Deck is a better choice. Or March Field, if it's open.

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2021, 07:58 AM
Yep. Sullivan Deck is a better choice. Or March Field, if it's open.

Last time we visited the Bushkill Lot was a warehouse area and we leased it for tailgating. Had previously tailgated at March Field. The Bushkill Lot is a much easier walk with direct access to the visitor side. Climbing those stairs after the game to get to March Field was a pain.

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Last time we visited the Bushkill Lot was a warehouse area and we leased it for tailgating. Had previously tailgated at March Field. The Bushkill Lot is a much easier walk with direct access to the visitor side. Climbing those stairs after the game to get to March Field was a pain.

Tribe you mean BEFORE the game...

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Climbing those stairs after the game to get to March Field was a pain.

I humbly disagree. Because Fisher Field sits in a bowl, all you're doing is taking some very wide, easy-to-navigate outdoor steps to the top of the stadium. The campus itself is quite level. Students of every stripe, and faulty, take those steps every day to get to the fitness center, for example.

Besides, who doesn't want to see the legendary March Field? Predecessor to the current stadium, it is the hallowed ground upon which Jim Thorpe once ran, and where two of Lafayette's three national collegiate football championships were won. They'll even let you take home a blade of grass. xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Laubach and Leone preview UNH at Lafayette.

https://youtu.be/NemhwCM_LU0

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Tribe you mean BEFORE the game...

No, I mean AFTER!

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2021, 12:20 PM
I humbly disagree. Because Fisher Field sits in a bowl, all you're doing is taking some very wide, easy-to-navigate outdoor steps to the top of the stadium. The campus itself is quite level. Students of every stripe, and faulty, take those steps every day to get to the fitness center, for example.

Besides, who doesn't want to see the legendary March Field? Predecessor to the current stadium, it is the hallowed ground upon which Jim Thorpe once ran, and where two of Lafayette's three national collegiate football championships were won. They'll even let you take home a blade of grass. xrolleyesx

When you're in your 70s and have a bad hip (as I did then) it's a pain! The Wildcats can drive by if they feel the need to see March Field.

You guys do have a beautiful campus, but Easton is another story. From my first visit I could tell they're working to hold down the population.
https://i.imgur.com/k6wCZh2.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2021, 12:31 PM
The stairs in question -

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32128&d=1631813283

Go Green
September 16th, 2021, 12:43 PM
You guys do have a beautiful campus, but Easton is another story. From my first visit I could tell they're working to hold down the population.
https://i.imgur.com/k6wCZh2.jpg

I don't think I've seen a condom-dedicated store since the 1990s.... :)

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2021, 12:57 PM

Pretty sure that little strip mall has been torn down but that picture is from 2013.

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Pretty sure that little strip mall has been torn down but that picture is from 2013.

Isn't it down by the McDonald's, across the river from the old train station?

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2021, 02:16 PM
You guys do have a beautiful campus, but Easton is another story.

Downtown Easton has some surprises. Try Pearly Baker's Alehouse on Center Square.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32129&d=1631819627

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Isn't it down by the McDonald's, across the river from the old train station?

No. Thats not the design of that one. Hard to believe the old Sheraton from my days is torn down and vacant lot

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Downtown Easton has some surprises. Try Pearly Baker's Alehouse on Center Square.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32129&d=1631819627

Remember when downtown was Easton Sweet Shop and Rite Aid and some pizza joints and cheap beer bars...long time ago. And we made 250 pages here! Congrats!!

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2021, 06:58 PM
I was just talking to folks at LC alum tailgates after AF game that we havent played Dartmouth Brown or Cornell in a long time!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Downtown Easton's newest boutique hotel, on Third Street, walk to campus.

https://www.townleyhousehotel.com/

Anyone tried it yet?

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2021, 08:15 PM
Downtown Easton's newest boutique hotel, on Third Street, walk to campus.

https://www.townleyhousehotel.com/

Anyone tried it yet?

No just checked for hell of it for this Saturday night - cheapest room $175. Long way from paying like $45 a Hotel Easton in mid 80s!

KPSUL
September 16th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Since this thread covers both the 2013 playoff game and the game this Saturday, shouldn't we just continue the score from where it ended up in 2013?