PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota Fires Head Coach Chris Mussman

Pages : 1 [2]

darell1976
December 18th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Great... I am so thrilled (Bubba or DeBoer) that was a great national search. Plus, these two were talked about five years ago when Muss was hired.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are you kidding... you will have a Fire Bubba or DeBoer thread started by the 7th game of the season.

Why say that? I gave Muss 3 years before I started the Fire Muss thread, and that was after losing to Sioux Falls. Roger Thomas won a couple games his first year, but improved after that, Mussman's teams never really improved from .500. If Bubba or DeBoer wins 5 games and doesn't get blown out that there is improvement.

Hambone
December 19th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Well, whoever the new coach is (I think DeBoer may have more upside overall, but we need to get back to a nasty defense so Bubba may be the choice), the next couple years may not go to well. With the mass exodus of current players, the experience may be a little on the low side. However, I like what we have in the last two recruiting classes, and if those guys can stick it out we should have a pretty good nucleus to build upon going forward. Just might take a couple years before we turn a corner.

Also, while I really don't mind Bubba or DeBoer, I'm very disappointed that if these were going to be the two finalists that the new coach wasn't hired on Dec 11th, the day after the posting closed. Why the drawn out process???

darell1976
December 19th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Well, whoever the new coach is (I think DeBoer may have more upside overall, but we need to get back to a nasty defense so Bubba may be the choice), the next couple years may not go to well. With the mass exodus of current players, the experience may be a little on the low side. However, I like what we have in the last two recruiting classes, and if those guys can stick it out we should have a pretty good nucleus to build upon going forward. Just might take a couple years before we turn a corner.

Also, while I really don't mind Bubba or DeBoer, I'm very disappointed that if these were going to be the two finalists that the new coach wasn't hired on Dec 11th, the day after the posting closed. Why the drawn out process???

Maybe Faison was going for a bigger name that fell out, so that could be the delay in hiring but I hope a guy is hired ASAP so the Muss cleaning can start and UND can file this ugly chapter and move on to a new one.

centennial
December 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Who is the lead candidate at the moment? Bubba?

darell1976
December 19th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Who is the lead candidate at the moment? Bubba?

Him and DeBoer (sort of a 1 and 1a) unless there is a wildcard that applies and gets the job at the last second.

FargoBison
December 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Still can't believe Faison never called Caruso....

darell1976
December 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Still can't believe Faison never called Caruso....

Can't wait to see who Faison picks...and why.

darell1976
December 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2013/12/19/the-final-two/

The final two candidates for the UND Head Coaching Position have been announced. Former UND Defensive Coordinator (DC)/Current Southern Illinois DC Kyle “Bubba” Schweigert and former Sioux Falls Head Coach/Current Southern Illinois OC Kalen Deboer are now locked in a ‘Saluki-Shootout’ to see who is the next head coach in Grand Forks.
We fully expect the new head coach to be named by Monday, December 23rd, at the very latest. Frankly, there is no reason for it to go past Christmas. The only concerning thing timeline wise is that Schweigert is not due on campus for his formal interview until this weekend with Deboer coming sometime soonafter (we assume). That means Deboer could be leaving the same day that they announce the new head coach. Or maybe he will be staying for the press conference, who knows. Why they couldn’t have had the interviews today and tomorrow are a real mystery to us. If there were issues with getting plane tickets, I know of a handful of university-owned planes about 10 miles west of town that could easily have picked them up.

Bubba Schweigert File
Current: Defensive Coordinator at Southern Illinois.
Schweigert is known by all UND football fans. He was the longtime secondary coach/defensive coordinator at UND from 1985-2003. Schweigert led some of the best defense’s in UND history, including the national championship defense in 2001. After UND Schweigert took over the reigns as head coach at Minnesota-Duluth from 2004-2007. His career record at Duluth was 22-21, including an NCC championship and playoff berth in 2005. Many give credit to Schweigert for recruiting the majority of the players that ended up winning the national championship at Duluth just one year after he left, with a second national championship only 2 years after that.

Kalen Deboer File
Current: Offensive Coordinator at Southern Illinois.
Like Schweigert, Deboer has also won a national championship – three, to be exact. Prior to be heading to Southern Illinois, Deboer led his alma mater, Sioux Falls College, to the NAIA National Championship in 2006, 2008, and 2009. Most UND fans will reluctantly remember Sioux Falls as the team that came in to the Alerus Center in 2009 and beat UND 28-13. Deboer had a career record of 67-3 at Sioux Falls. He spent his entire coaching career there, beginning in 1997 as an assistant and then taking over as the OC in 2000 until becoming the head coach in 2005. Deboer took over for longtime HC Bob Young, who built the program into a national NAIA powerhouse.

Laker
December 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Darell, what do you know about this player? I just read this today:

Jameer Jackson announced he will transfer to Minnesota State-Mankato from UND.

At 6-3, 237..he's a capable big-body WR/TE who should be an immediate asset to the Mavs. He will be a Junior next fall.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2013, 08:49 PM

At 6-3, 237..he's a capable big-body WR/TE who should be an immediate asset to the Mavs. He will be a Junior next fall.

Big loss for UND...he will dominate DII

darell1976
December 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Big loss for UND...he will dominate DII

Sums it up. Jameer has good speed, think of him like a Greg Hardin 2.0 in the making, he will make the Mavs even better.

SDFS
December 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM

SDFS
December 19th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Big physical target, has good hands, nice speeds and wants the ball in his hands. He will be a load to tackle in the middle of the field. He will cause some match up problems. You will enjoy watching him play next year.

SDFS
December 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Sums it up. Jameer has good speed, think of him like a Greg Hardin 2.0 in the making, he will make the Mavs even better.

I would not compare Jameer to Hardin. Jameer is more of a physical over the middle WR/TE. Hardin is a small fast receiver who is going to run past people vs through them..

SDFS
December 19th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Why say that? I gave Muss 3 years before I started the Fire Muss thread, and that was after losing to Sioux Falls. Roger Thomas won a couple games his first year, but improved after that, Mussman's teams never really improved from .500. If Bubba or DeBoer wins 5 games and doesn't get blown out that there is improvement.

You seem quick to judge..

BisonFan02
December 20th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I would not compare Jameer to Hardin. Jameer is more of a physical over the middle WR/TE. Hardin is a small fast receiver who is going to run past people vs through them..

I would agree with this...one of the reasons why I think Jameer is going to cause a lot of problems at that level of football. Now Mankato just needs to get him the ball.

darell1976
December 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM
You seem quick to judge..

Saying a guy needs to be fired after 6 average to below average seasons (including a loss to an NAIA team) and 2 3 win seasons in 4 years....I would think I wasn't quick enough.:D

Bisonator
December 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Just think Mussman and the "greatest WR corp in FCS" was supposed to lead UN_ to the playoffs this season and now none of them are still with the team. xlolx

darell1976
December 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Just think Mussman and the "greatest WR corp in FCS" was supposed to lead UN_ to the playoffs this season and now none of them are still with the team. xlolx

Gotta clean house. Need to set priorities and a top WR core is not at the top. 1. Defense, 2. OL, 3. Running game. UND has been missing that since Muss took over, each were solid under Lennon, but has deteriorated since Muss took over, now its Bubba or DeBoer's job to solidify it again.

dmksioux
December 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Great talent and agree with others that he should dominate at the DII level. There have been some questions about his attitude and whether or not he's a team player. Rumor is he left the team before his Freshman and Sophomore year and had to be talked into coming back. The talent is there, hopefully he will be happy at Mankato and his attitude changes a bit.

underdawg
December 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
Dear UND fans--please tell your AD to get off the frickin pot and hire either DeBoer or Bubba so Saluki fans can move on in hiring a replacement! Thanx a lot!!!!

BisonBacker
December 23rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Dear USD fans--please tell your AD to get off the frickin pot and hire either DeBoer or Bubba so Saluki fans can move on in hiring a replacement! Thanx a lot!!!!

I think you are a little confused.

underdawg
December 23rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
I think you are a little confused.

No drunk already--attended the Barry Hinson (you've probably run into his famous rant on U-tube) radio talk show and drank too many beers trying to make it through it! I corrected my grievous error!

GABison
December 23rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Great talent and agree with others that he should dominate at the DII level. There have been some questions about his attitude and whether or not he's a team player. Rumor is he left the team before his Freshman and Sophomore year and had to be talked into coming back. The talent is there, hopefully he will be happy at Mankato and his attitude changes a bit.

Sounds a little Randy Moss-ish.

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Dear UND fans--please tell your AD to get off the frickin pot and hire either DeBoer or Bubba so Saluki fans can move on in hiring a replacement! Thanx a lot!!!!

Faison's hoping Santa leaves a good coach in his stocking!xlolx

Twentysix
December 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Does und have any commits with all this uncertainty?

Bisonator
December 24th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Does und have any commits with all this uncertainty?

Commits? They can't even keep the players on the team! xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Looks like Bubba is the new coach at UND.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Faison probably had to guarantee that he wouldn't have to play the Bison.

Wilson16
December 24th, 2013, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=NoDak 4 Ever;2080808]Faison probably had to guarantee that he wouldn't have to play the Bison.[/QUOTEg]

I wonder what WestbyDaryll thinks of the choice ;). I got a pm telling me it's him

NoDak 4 Ever
December 24th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I wonder what WestbyDaryll thinks of the choice ;). I got a pm telling me it's him

That seems too clever for him. He's usually is way more obvious than that

darell1976
December 24th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Welcome back to UND Bubba!!! The start of the post Mussman (the worst era in UND football in 30 years) begins today!!

Houndawg
December 25th, 2013, 05:38 AM

Damn. I was hoping DeBoer would get the gig.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 25th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Damn. I was hoping DeBoer would get the gig.

As soon as it was announced that Bubba was a candidate, I figured he would get the job considering the other 'top' candidates on the list. SIU had some defenses with Bubba. Who is on SIU's short list for a DC?

darell1976
December 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM
As soon as it was announced that Bubba was a candidate, I figured he would get the job considering the other 'top' candidates on the list. SIU had some defenses with Bubba. Who is on SIU's short list for a DC?

Dale Lennon. ;)

underdawg
December 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM
What you suggest is no joke. It was Lennon who developed the 3-4 used here at SIU (and wrote an article on his version in 2006) and he was UND DC for 5 years using it---I say he is head coach and DC next year too' I think it's time for Dale to be more than an "ceo" type and do on the field coaching like in the old days.