PDA

View Full Version : david ball - unh vs jerome simpson - ccu

bodoyle
October 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
ball:
5 games 39 catches for 453 yds and 6 td's. 7.8 receptions/game, 11.62 ypc, 90.6 ypg.

Jerome:
6 games 31 catches for 546 yards and 8 td's. 5.17 receptions/game, 17.61 ypc, 91.00 ypg.

pretty interesting since jerome is only a jr.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Ball's 51 kinda makes this not a competition

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
OK but lets assume Ball puts up Ball like numbers in the extra game that Jerome had, now were looking at 50 catches for 560 yards or so with 8 or 9 TDs. Yes Jerome would still have the YPC advantage but still.

On that note, im not sure where exactly you were going with the stat comparisson.

bodoyle
October 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
OK but lets assume Ball puts up Ball like numbers in the extra game that Jerome had, now were looking at 50 catches for 560 yards or so with 8 or 9 TDs. Yes Jerome would still have the YPC advantage but still.

On that note, im not sure where exactly you were going with the stat comparisson.

I'm just saying that the stats are similar other then the amount of catches per game, ball clearly has the advantage there and ypc where jerome clearly has the advantage.

And Jerome has 25 touchdowns in 2.5 years. :thumbsup:

2004: 419 yds 16.1 ypc 8td 51 longest 38.1 ypg
2005: 527 yds 16.0 ypc 9td 60 longest 47.9 ypg
2006: 546 yds 17.6 ypc 8td 58 longest 91.0 ypg in 6 games

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'm just saying that the stats are similar other then the amount of catches per game, ball clearly has the advantage there and ypc where jerome clearly has the advantage.

And Jerome has 25 touchdowns in 2.5 years. :thumbsup:

David Ball had 24 last season :D

CCU97
October 9th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I have to say that Ball is extremely impressive with his stats. The one thing that does not show with any Coastal reciever's stats is that until this year Coastal has been a primarily run based team. Simpson can play with many of the receivers in I-AA but as a team Coastal is still on the bubble...they have to continue to show up for every game.

bodoyle
October 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM
David Ball had 24 last season :D

Right he had a great season last year, but if Jerome keeps doing what he is doing the rest of this year, and the rest should be easier then it has been so expect more then 8 more td's for Simp and then all next year....I'll say he ends this year with 18 td's to make his 3 year total to 35.

Would be an interesting senior season for Jerome.

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Right he had a great season last year, but if Jerome keeps doing what he is doing the rest of this year, and the rest should be easier then it has been so expect more then 8 more td's for Simp and then all next year....I'll say he ends this year with 18 td's to make his 3 year total to 35.

Would 35 be a CCU career record? I'm guessing it would

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Would that be to suggest a run at Balls Div I record?

If so, by the time Ball is done with his 6 remaining reg season games and atleast 1 playoff game he may be around 60-65. that would leave Jerome needing anywhere from 20-35 TDs next season.

bodoyle
October 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Would 35 be a CCU career record? I'm guessing it would

Everything we do is a CCU record, we are too young. xlolx

Yes it would be a receiving record, but PERK has over 40 td's.

bodoyle
October 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Would that be to suggest a run at Balls Div I record?

If so, by the time Ball is done with his 6 remaining reg season games and atleast 1 playoff game he may be around 60-65. that would leave Jerome needing anywhere from 20-35 TDs next season.

We'll see.

Coastal89
October 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
With VMI and Savannah St coming up Jerome could have 18 within the next 3 weeks.

UNHFan99
October 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
This thread is just rediculous. Ball has yet to play against a defense that has not put all of their effort into stopping him this season. I have never seen a reciever triple teamed on a regular basis. Defenses were so scared to give up the 50 and 51'st td to him that they would rather let anyone else on the UNH offense score on them. Ball will continue to put up great numbers and as the games become more crucial the better he will play. He will definitelly put up better #'s for the rest of the season now that the record is behind him.

Coastal89
October 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM
This thread is just rediculous. Ball has yet to play against a defense that has not put all of their effort into stopping him this season. I have never seen a reciever triple teamed on a regular basis. Defenses were so scared to give up the 50 and 51'st td to him that they would rather let anyone else on the UNH offense score on them. Ball will continue to put up great numbers and as the games become more crucial the better he will play. He will definitelly put up better #'s for the rest of the season now that the record is behind him.
You didn't watch the CCU/ Furman game then. Simpson was triple covered most of the night.

Oh yeah it's spelled ridiculous

TigerFan17
October 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Also, don't forget that this season Ball has played in 2 blowout games where he was not used to his full potential, whereas CCU hasn't really blown anyone out. That, in addition to playing one less game.

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Also, don't forget that this season Ball has played in 2 blowout games where he was not used to his full potential, whereas CCU hasn't really blown anyone out. That, in addition to playing one less game.

Correct, and taking into account the career total. Think of the games in his 4 years he didnt play the second half. 2 this year. Maybe 5 last year?

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Was UNH's second game against Stony Brook? I remember looking at Ball's statline and he didn't do anything against one of the patsies they played early on. Probably sat for safety reasons.

UNHWildCats
October 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Was UNH's second game against Stony Brook? I remember looking at Ball's statline and he didn't do anything against one of the patsies they played early on. Probably sat for safety reasons.

They had 3 guys on him all day so after a few shoirt completions they decided to run the ball all afternoon lol Santos didnt do much in the air either and they gained a crap of yards on the ground

NET YARDS RUSHING

NET YARDS PASSING

windwalker
October 9th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Ball is outstanding, I think Bob was simply trying to show that SImpson is a very good receiver. He might not ever get the stats that Ball will end up with, but he is pretty good too.

I think Ball will set the standard for ALL receivers in I-AA by the end of the year.

rokamortis
October 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Ball is the man. I would expect Jerome's numbers to go down against the weaker teams on our schedule as we will not pass much and the coaches will likely pull him.

Coastal89
October 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Ball is the man. I would expect Jerome's numbers to go down against the weaker teams on our schedule as we will not pass much and the coaches will likely pull him.
Good point Rok,. I'd like to see T. Frazer have a couple of 100+yd games on the ground.

UNHknowledge
October 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Ball would've had the record last year if he played more than one half against Dartmouth, Nova, URI, Northeastern, and Iona. He dealt with the same problem this year against Stony Brook and Dartmouth in addition to being bracketed (triple covered) in the first 5 games. I'm sure Simpson is a very good reciever as well but I wouldn't compare him to David Ball. I mean even though Dave beat Jerry Rice's record I'm not gonna go out and say he is as good as Rice. Until Dave plays 10+ All-Pro seasons in the NFL he can't be compared to Jerry just as Simpson can't be compared to Ball until he puts the stats up he did the first 5 games over a 4 year period against solid competition.

UNH_ORACLE
October 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
this IS the dumbest thread ever created.

bodoyle
October 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM
this IS the dumbest thread ever created.

then get to steppin'

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 12:50 AM
#1- Ball has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best I-AA and possibly division I in general, receivers ever.

#2- I would guess Ball faces better defenses than CCU plays.

October 10th, 2006, 12:51 AM
#1- Ball has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best I-AA and possibly division I in general, receivers ever.

#2- I would guess Ball faces better defenses than CCU plays.My how your tune has changed since our trip last year! xlolx

Mr. C
October 10th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I'm not even sure Simpson is the best receiver in the Big South. Personally, I'd take Maurice Price of Charleston Southern over Simpson. Kory Alston at Gardner-Webb isn't chopped liver, either. Simpson didn't do much when I saw him play in person against Appalachian State last year (kind of similar to what happened to DuVaughn Flagler of Gardner-Webb this season). David Ball's records speak for themselves. There is little doubt in my mind he's the top WR in I-AA, followed by Laurent Robinson of Illinois State.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I'm not even sure Simpson is the best receiver in the Big South. Personally, I'd take Maurice Price of Charleston Southern over Simpson. Kory Alston at Gardner-Webb isn't chopped liver, either. Simpson didn't do much when I saw him play in person against Appalachian State last year (kind of similar to what happened to DuVaughn Flagler of Gardner-Webb this season). David Ball's records speak for themselves. There is little doubt in my mind he's the top WR in I-AA, followed by Laurent Robinson of Illinois State.

To be fair - the entire CCU team didn't do much of anything last year in Boone.

I think Simpson is a great receiver but he is mainly a clutch, big play kinda guy, he is still getting better. Our offense just turned into a passing offense this year.

th0m
October 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I would've liked Jerome Simpson a whole lot better if he made one big play less last year ;)

bodoyle
October 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Yea he's doing great against ga southern, wofford, furman etc oh wait thats CCU and chuck south's monster schedule of 3 DII teams. xidiotx

bodoyle
October 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM

In conference yes, OOC no.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I have to say that Ball is extremely impressive with his stats. The one thing that does not show with any Coastal reciever's stats is that until this year Coastal has been a primarily run based team. Simpson can play with many of the receivers in I-AA but as a team Coastal is still on the bubble...they have to continue to show up for every game.

Good post!:thumbsup:

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM

EXACTLY!!!!!

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM

09/09/06 New Hampshire 34, Northwestern 17 Evanston, IL

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
You didn't watch the CCU/ Furman game then. Simpson was triple covered most of the night.

Oh yeah it's spelled ridiculous

By Furman's defense. Possibly the sorriest in the SoCon this year.:bang:

PantherRob82
October 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM

The OOC teams CCU has played aren't bad. I'll agree with that.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM
But overall not what UNH faces this year. Calibre..like a 22 and a 38.

bodoyle
October 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM
But overall not what UNH faces this year. Calibre..like a 22 and a 38.

In conference we got nothing other then chuck south and possibly gdubb being ok.

OOC: ga south at their hell hole, @ wofford, home against furple

next year: home ga south, @ furple, home wofford, @ james madison

Mr. C
October 10th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Yea he's doing great against ga southern, wofford, furman etc oh wait thats CCU and chuck south's monster schedule of 3 DII teams. xidiotx
The schedule that Simpson plays doesn't necessarily make him better, or worse than Price, Alston, Flagler etc. The point was that Price is considered by a lot of people to be the best WR in the Big South. How many preseason All-American teams did Simpson make, compared with those other fellows?

Real classy to use the idiot icon to someone's legitimate post. Does that make you feel bigger? People would respect your opinions more around here if you would be respectful to other people's opinions.

bodoyle
October 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
The schedule that Simpson plays doesn't necessarily make him better, or worse than Price, Alston, Flagler etc. The point was that Price is considered by a lot of people to be the best WR in the Big South. How many preseason All-American teams did Simpson make, compared with those other fellows?

Real classy to use the idiot icon to someone's legitimate post. Does that make you feel bigger? People would respect your opinions more around here if you would be respectful to other people's opinions.

I never said you were an idiot. I think you are crazy sometimes, and other times have valid points. If Simpson put up the numbers he has so far against the likes of 3 D2 teams people would think it was against sub-par opponents.

I guess the only way to validate is the regular season-ender in Conway against price and drafts?

UNH_ORACLE
October 10th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Could someone post the AGS etiquette manual???

UNHFan99
October 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Rule #1: you arent allowed to upset anyone by letting them know Dave and Ricky and the rest of the UNH crew are on a quest for the championship. :nono:

csuBUC06
October 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I guess the only way to validate is the regular season-ender in Conway against price and drafts?

and that, my friend, will be the end of CCU:nod:

CSU BUCS
October 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I never said you were an idiot. I think you are crazy sometimes, and other times have valid points. If Simpson put up the numbers he has so far against the likes of 3 D2 teams people would think it was against sub-par opponents.

CSU

Time of Posession: 27:14
First Downs: Rush: 6 Pass: 14 Penalty: 2 Total: 22
Penalties: Number: 6 Yards: 45
Fumbles: Number: 0 Lost: 0
Third Downs: Attempted: 14 Converted: 6
Fourth Downs: Attempted: 0 Converted: 0

Passing:
# Player Att Comp Int Yards TD Conv Passing
Efficiency
7 Collin Drafts 37 20 1 250 2 123.2
Totals 37 20 1 250 2

# Player No Yds TD Avg Long
1 Maurice Price 8 74 0 9.3

CCU

Time of Posession: 26:00
First Downs: Rush: Pass: Penalty: 3 Total: 21
Penalties: Number: 13 Yards: 89
Fumbles: Number: 0 Lost: 0
Third Downs: Attempted: 19 Converted: 8
Fourth Downs: Attempted: 4 Converted: 1

# Player Att Comp Int Yards TD Conv Passing
Efficiency
16 Tyler Thigpen 23 8 0 89 0 67.3
Totals 23 8 0 89 0

# Player No Yds TD Avg Long
19 Jerome Simpson 3 32 0 10.7

bodoyle
October 11th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Should be a good game in the beginning, but I don't expect it to be close.

The Gadfly
October 13th, 2006, 02:47 AM

Don't expect another Christmas gift like the one WE GAVE YOU last year. Simpson will be looking for redemption. :cool:

Dabnus Brickey
October 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I don't understand how CSU can be cocky about THIS season!!! They're beating DII schools in close games and a horrible Citadel team. I just don't understand this. Get a grip!!!

WinthropEagleFan
October 13th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I don't understand how CSU can be cocky about THIS season!!! They're beating DII schools in close games and a horrible Citadel team. I just don't understand this. Get a grip!!!

Considering that last year, they lost to a horrible Citadel team and lost 42-0 at home to Presby and still co-won the Big South, I don't see why it's weird that they are feeling even better about their team this year when they beat those two teams (no matter how close those games may have been) that they couldn't beat a year ago. Does that mean they'll win the Big South again? Not necessarily...but I can see why their fans are excited and/or a little cocky this year, since they've started alot better than they started last year.

bodoyle
October 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Considering that last year, they lost to a horrible Citadel team and lost 42-0 at home to Presby and still co-won the Big South, I don't see why it's weird that they are feeling even better about their team this year when they beat those two teams (no matter how close those games may have been) that they couldn't beat a year ago. Does that mean they'll win the Big South again? Not necessarily...but I can see why their fans are excited and/or a little cocky this year, since they've started alot better than they started last year.

They could lose every game by 56 points, as long as they beat us, their fans think the season is a success.:bang:

CSU BUCS
October 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
They could lose every game by 56 points, as long as they beat us, their fans think the season is a success.:bang:

Oh please get over yourself, Coastal doesn’t make or break our season. In context it was an important game last year. If we are 10-0 going into the coastal game this year it will be an important game. NOT because it’s against the green chickens but because of what would be at stake.

SoCon48
October 13th, 2006, 11:41 AM

No the wouldn't! xlolx

SoCon48
October 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
In conference we got nothing other then chuck south and possibly gdubb being ok.

OOC: ga south at their hell hole, @ wofford, home against furple

next year: home ga south, @ furple, home wofford, @ james madison

We'll know tomorrow if Wofford is even decent and GSU isn't looking like much this year...at least yet.

CoastalFan2005
October 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Oh please get over yourself, Coastal doesn’t make or break our season. In context it was an important game last year. If we are 10-0 going into the coastal game this year it will be an important game. NOT because it’s against the green chickens but because of what would be at stake.

What would be at stake? Because I can assure you that a playoff berth would not be in the cards for CSU. If CCU couldn't make it in the previous two years, then CSU's schedule doesn't earn them one, either. Not smack, just fact.

CSU BUCS
October 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
What would be at stake? Because I can assure you that a playoff berth would not be in the cards for CSU. If CCU couldn't make it in the previous two years, then CSU's schedule doesn't earn them one, either. Not smack, just fact.

How about an outright Big South Championship.

Just a fact.

bodoyle
October 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM
How about an outright Big South Championship.

Just a fact.

Who else do you have being undefeated in the BSC? Us?

CSU BUCS
October 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Who else do you have being undefeated in the BSC? Us?

I don't know..........Coatal, Liberty, or CSU could go undefeated. or each could have one lose and you would have a 3 way tie. The Big South could go either way IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
October 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Everything we do is a CCU record, we are too young. xlolx

Yes it would be a receiving record, but PERK has over 40 td's.

Ball's 51 TDs, breaking Jerry Rice's record, is above anything that any WR in I-AA has done in a LONG time. Simpson is very good, I am not knocking him but many would even argue that Maurice Price of Chas. Southern is just as good.

The only thing about your point is, once again, that pesky old strength of schedule. Simpson has not put up big numbers against top 10 teams. He did not get a TD against App State last year, the defending champs, who happen to be the best team you played last year. Simpson plays Gardner-Webb, Chas. Southern, Liberty, etc. each week. None of those teams have had All-American DBs over the last couple years. Ball plays against teams like UMASS, Maine, Towson, and I-A competition quite often. Ball has gone up against several past Buchanan candidates in the secondary and even plays 2 guys who are on the list this year.

Simpson is good and he will be a fine pro, but I do not think you can say he is as good as Ball because the stats compare. Ball draws double and triple teams and has 5 other teams (UMASS, JMU, Maine, Towson, Richmond) ranked in the top 25. CCU really needs to schedule a tough non conference slate next year so if Simpson can put up say 15 TDs, then you have a legit argument to say he is a top 3 or 4 WR in I-AA.

smallcollegefbfan
October 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Anyone who will argue that a mid-major could play with or beat Cal Poly, UNH, App, Richmond, Montana, SIU, YSU, etc. has about as much of an argument as anyone who would say Ball or Robinson of ISU is not the best WR in I-AA. You have to look at strength of schedule big time. Catching 20 TDs against St. Peter's, Liberty, GWU, Iona, San Diego, etc. is nothing like catching just 15 against teams like UNH, Richmond, UMASS, Illinois State, Montana, App, Furman, etc. on a weekly basis.

I believe Simpson needs to put up something like 8 catches for 120 yards, 2 TDs against a top 10 team. If he does that then I believe he will prove he has the skill to be a top 3 or 4 receiver as long as he is consistent and plays solid teams each week.

rokamortis
October 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I believe Simpson needs to put up something like 8 catches for 120 yards, 2 TDs against a top 10 team. If he does that then I believe he will prove he has the skill to be a top 3 or 4 receiver as long as he is consistent and plays solid teams each week.

From bigsouthsports.com
Simpson had one of his best games of the season Saturday in Coastal's 29-27 upset win over No. 3 Furman, recording a team season-high of nine catches for 151 yards and two touchdowns.

smallcollegefbfan
October 13th, 2006, 02:58 PM
From bigsouthsports.com
Simpson had one of his best games of the season Saturday in Coastal's 29-27 upset win over No. 3 Furman, recording a team season-high of nine catches for 151 yards and two touchdowns.

That is just one game. If he can be consistent like I said, then he is a top 3 or 4 WR. Just for the record, I am not saying Simpson is not good, but I am saying he is not as good as Ball yet.

His game against Furman last week was good but I would actually like to see Coastal in the playoffs and see them play Hampton's CBs, Illinois State, App, or someone with solid corners.

Simpson is a very good player but do you seriously think he is as good as Ball? Ball broke a record put up by the best WR of all-time. I am not saying Simpson will not be able to get there, just saying he is not there yet!

bodoyle
October 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Simpson has not put up big numbers against top 10 teams.

Against #1 james madison

SIMPSON, Jerome 10 catches 162yards 2 tuddys long of 27

Against #3 Furman

SIMPSON, Jerome 9 catches 151yards 2 tuddys long of 42

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

rokamortis
October 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
That is just one game. If he can be consistent like I said, then he is a top 3 or 4 WR. Just for the record, I am not saying Simpson is not good, but I am saying he is not as good as Ball yet.

His game against Furman last week was good but I would actually like to see Coastal in the playoffs and see them play Hampton's CBs, Illinois State, App, or someone with solid corners.

Simpson is a very good player but do you seriously think he is as good as Ball? Ball broke a record put up by the best WR of all-time. I am not saying Simpson will not be able to get there, just saying he is not there yet!

I think Ball is insane, maybe one day Jerome will be as good as he is. I was just giving you the numbers you were looking for.

bodoyle
October 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM
8 games, 59 receptions for 711 yards, averaging 12.1 yards/catch. 9 TD's a long of 43 and 88.9 yards/game.

8 games, 43 receptions for 736 yards, averaging 17.1 yards/catch, 10 TD's, a long of 66 and 92 yards/game

Whose stats are whose? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And yes, we all know that both players are double and even triple teamed, so no need to :deadhorse:

Coastal89
October 31st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Against Georga Southern #9 when we played them
Jerome Simpson 8 catches 207yards 2TDs

bodoyle
October 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Against Georga Southern #9 when we played them
Jerome Simpson 8 catches 207yards 2TDs

Against then #3, now about #14 furman
9 catches for 151 and 2 TD's including the game winner.

Coastal89
October 31st, 2006, 12:24 PM
Speaking of consistency, how about that 0 catches for 0 yards by Ball this past Saturday.xlolx

bodoyle
October 31st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Speaking of consistency, how about that 0 catches for 0 yards by Ball this past Saturday.xlolx

C'mon now 89 I don't want this to be smack thread material - and they were playing in a nor'easter, but CCU has played in hurricanes so all is fair.

appmountaineermaniac
October 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
and we all know what happens when coastal plays app. ha

bodoyle
October 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM
and we all know what happens when coastal plays app. ha

Is one game a trend though? Hopefully we will get a chance if we can get into the playoffs, but savannah state first.

YoUDeeMan
October 31st, 2006, 01:46 PM

Clueless post.