PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern falls to GW Do they still make the playoffs?

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Discuss.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=333202241

27-10 Gardner Webb over Charleston Southern.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2013, 04:10 PM
If they beat Liberty they will get the automatic bid. Lose to Liberty and they don't get in.

Twentysix
November 16th, 2013, 04:11 PM
If they beat Liberty they will get the automatic bid. Lose to Liberty and they don't get in.

Agreed.

bjtheflamesfan
November 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM

Agree with the above^^ For the Bucs its win and youre in next week.

SUPharmacist
November 16th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I think they win next week to make it.

jmrepak
November 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM
+1

kdinva
November 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM

+1

CSU18
November 17th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Going to be a tough one next week vs Liberty. They've had our number for years. Hopefully the GW game was just a "post big win screw up" and we take care of business. I've mentioned in another post, I'd love to play Furman in round 1 - not sure why we've never been able to get them on the schedule.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Weird season for Gardner Webb. Great wins and some awful losses.

elcid83
November 17th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Weird season for Gardner Webb. Great wins and some awful losses.

You have no idea PaladinFan.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

CSU18
November 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hard to think if CSU loses to Liberty, CSU is out and Furman is in. I realize we'd lose the auto bid and Furman would get the SoCon auto bid, but CSU is a better team than Furman IMO. I'd be real disappointed if CSU gets left out and another SoCon gets in at large.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Hard to think if CSU loses to Liberty, CSU is out and Furman is in. I realize we'd lose the auto bid and Furman would get the SoCon auto bid, but CSU is a better team than Furman IMO. I'd be real disappointed if CSU gets left out and another SoCon gets in at large.

Huh? If Furman wins the autobid, CSU would be competing with Samford & Chattanooga (among various others) for an at-large spot.

Unless you are just complaining about autobids in general, which is probably not a good path for a Big South fan to go down.

CSU18
November 17th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Unless you are just complaining about autobids in general, which is probably not a good path for a Big South fan to go down.[/QUOTE]

Not complaining about the auto bids at all - just think CSU is a better at large than any other SoCon at large IMO.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Not sure what basis there really is for that belief. Not necessarily wrong, just very subjective.

CSU really hurt itself with two non D-I games.

citdog
November 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM

Then you should have scheduled better.

Sandlapper Spike
November 17th, 2013, 09:03 PM
It's hard to argue for an at-large spot when you schedule two non-D1s.

Twentysix
November 17th, 2013, 09:44 PM
CSU also played a THIRTEEN game schedule.

ElCid
November 17th, 2013, 10:30 PM

Wow. I have been mildly impressed with Chuck South but they are not quite up to winning the SOCON just yet. Campbell, Norfolk St., VMI, Charlotte, and two Div II? OK, you played The Citadel, App. St and Coastal and got the wins, Kudos. Lost to Colorado, no harm, no foul. Am I thinking that just because you beat Coastal, who beat Furman, and beat Presbyterian who almost beat Furman that you are better than Furman? I wont even mention that GW smacked CSU a lot worse than it beat Furman, because I don't like the whole transitive property thing of evaluating football results. As I said, CSU has done well and hats off to the coach and players, but please do not think they could handle Furman right now.

rokamortis
November 17th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Furman is interesting. They had a number of injuries early on but seem to either getting those guys back or learning to play without them.

youwouldno
November 17th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Furman is interesting. They had a number of injuries early on but seem to either getting those guys back or learning to play without them.

There have been various injuries, but mainly the Paladins have made fewer crucial errors than early in the year. Those issues may be connected, in the sense that the GW and Elon games had true freshmen at QB (the latter case being a walk on), but both games should have been won. Even now the offense is fairly limited - the main weapon against WCU was a true freshman wildcat QB moved over from DB.

They've been making it work, but Wofford still poses a real challenge and so would almost any conceivable playoff opponent, unless they somehow lucked into the Pioneer autobid.

elcid83
November 18th, 2013, 07:05 AM
There have been various injuries, but mainly the Paladins have made fewer crucial errors than early in the year. Those issues may be connected, in the sense that the GW and Elon games had true freshmen at QB (the latter case being a walk on), but both games should have been won. Even now the offense is fairly limited - the main weapon against WCU was a true freshman wildcat QB moved over from DB.

They've been making it work, but Wofford still poses a real challenge and so would almost any conceivable playoff opponent, unless they somehow lucked into the Pioneer autobid.

youwouldno, Furman never had a chance to beat GWU. Not fair to say Furman should have won that game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

knucklehead
November 18th, 2013, 07:48 AM
I think it's funny that even though Liberty does not control their own destiny, they do sort of control the BSC Auto-Bid. If they beat CSU, they hand the bid to their biggest rival CCU and CSU is surely out of the picture. If they lose, they fumble it over to CSU and CCU still gets an at large. I still wonder why it's an 11am game. Should be interesting though.

CSU18
November 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Wow. I have been mildly impressed with Chuck South but they are not quite up to winning the SOCON just yet. Campbell, Norfolk St., VMI, Charlotte, and two Div II? OK, you played The Citadel, App. St and Coastal and got the wins, Kudos. Lost to Colorado, no harm, no foul. Am I thinking that just because you beat Coastal, who beat Furman, and beat Presbyterian who almost beat Furman that you are better than Furman? I wont even mention that GW smacked CSU a lot worse than it beat Furman, because I don't like the whole transitive property thing of evaluating football results. As I said, CSU has done well and hats off to the coach and players, but please do not think they could handle Furman right now.

I don't recall ever saying CSU was up to winning the SoCon. I do think we'd be more competitve in the SoCon than Wofford, The Citadel, Elon, and Western. You've probably kept up with the SoCon more than I have, so do you really think an 8-4 Chattanooga or 8-4 Samford is more deserving of an at large than a 10-3 CSU? Hopefully it's a non-issue and we take care of business Saturday, finishing 11-2 w/ the Autobid.

knucklehead
November 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Does CSU have a football message board that is active?

thirdgendin
November 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
youwouldno, Furman never had a chance to beat GWU. Not fair to say Furman should have won that game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

We never had a chance to win the game that we led with 10 minutes remaining?

BennyandtheJets
November 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
We never had a chance to win the game that we led with 10 minutes remaining?

I believe Furman had a chance to win the game with a lead in the early part of the 4th qtr but I also believe that Furman shouldn't have the won the game. If there is much doubt, go back to the Paladin Message Board after the game and read the thoughts of most of the Furman posters and check out the Box Score/Statistics. GWU was the dominant team in the game and if anything should have won by a wider margin. I was there, saw every second of it and the line of scrimmage was owned by GWebb. Line of scrimmage play was key in nice wins against Furman, Richmond, Wofford and Charleston Southern, turnovers have been huge in the losses and I'm still trying to figure out how the Dawgs blew a 21 point 4th quarter lead at UNCC.

Here's wishing CSU best of luck Saturday against Liberty. I have no dog in the fight but would like to see the Big South get 2 teams into the playoffs and I believe Coastal is in as an At-large regardless of their game against South Carolina while CSU should they lose could well be out of the picture. It's hard to get an At-large if you finish the year with two losses to unranked FCS teams.

knucklehead
November 18th, 2013, 10:08 AM
If CSU beats LU - they get the auto. IF LU wins CCU gets the auto

thirdgendin
November 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I believe Furman had a chance to win the game with a lead in the early part of the 4th qtr but I also believe that Furman shouldn't have the won the game. If there is much doubt, go back to the Paladin Message Board after the game and read the thoughts of most of the Furman posters and check out the Box Score/Statistics. GWU was the dominant team in the game and if anything should have won by a wider margin. I was there, saw every second of it and the line of scrimmage was owned by GWebb. Line of scrimmage play was key in nice wins against Furman, Richmond, Wofford and Charleston Southern, turnovers have been huge in the losses and I'm still trying to figure out how the Dawgs blew a 21 point 4th quarter lead at UNCC.

Here's wishing CSU best of luck Saturday against Liberty. I have no dog in the fight but would like to see the Big South get 2 teams into the playoffs and I believe Coastal is in as an At-large regardless of their game against South Carolina while CSU should they lose could well be out of the picture. It's hard to get an At-large if you finish the year with two losses to unranked FCS teams.

I agree. You guys dominated the stats and were the convincing winner. But that doesn't validate elcid83's post.

ElCid
November 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I do think we'd be more competitve in the SoCon than Wofford, The Citadel, Elon, and Western.

No, No, yes, yes. I will give you credit for the W over my Dogs, and App St, but over the long haul of the season, you would not be there. It was the first game out when you played us, we made some seriously bad calls, and if we played right now, I think we would handle you. App St would as well since they apparently got going. But that is irrelevant to speculate since you got the W's this year. Just what I have seen in the last few weeks. Next year will tell....

You've probably kept up with the SoCon more than I have, so do you really think an 8-4 Chattanooga or 8-4 Samford is more deserving of an at large than a 10-3 CSU?

Yes and yes, when you consider the Div II you played, their SOS is much higher.

Hopefully it's a non-issue and we take care of business Saturday, finishing 11-2 w/ the Autobid.

I think it will be close. I AM routing for you guys to win it in any event.