PDA

View Full Version : First SoCon football Championship since 1984, and...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 11th, 2013, 01:07 PM
there is no mention of it on the UTC athletics site. Did I miss something? What gives here? Is this not a very big deal?

http://www.gomocs.com/

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM
there is no mention of it on the UTC athletics site. Did I miss something? What gives here? Is this not a very big deal?

http://www.gomocs.com/

You started a thread because you can't read. Gtfo.

UCMoc
November 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88679&SPID=10577&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209303561&DB_OEM_ID=17700

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88679&SPID=10577&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209303561&DB_OEM_ID=17700

Didn't work. The main site is there, though.

UCMoc
November 11th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Odd. When I do it, the article title is: Mocs Clinch Share of SoCon Title with 20-10 Win

gsu2583
November 11th, 2013, 01:35 PM
You started a thread because you can't read. Gtfo.

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm436/gsu2583/gollum_zps43d31fc2.gif (http://s318.photobucket.com/user/gsu2583/media/gollum_zps43d31fc2.gif.html)

eaglewraith
November 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM

Link works for me, but it's still not on the main page. Kinda weird.

UCMoc
November 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Link works for me, but it's still not on the main page. Kinda weird.

I kind of wonder if it isn't a league directed thing to downplay it a bit until it is determined if it is shared. I noticed the the SoCon Facebook feed didn't mention it either.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2013, 02:56 PM
The department isn't going to make a big splash when, so far, all they have done is clinch a share...if they win it outright this weekend, there will be a much bigger splash.

I think the department has an "act like you've been there before" mentality...way too much still left to be playing for to be patting yourself on the back right now. If/when the Mocs win outright and know they have a playoff bid secured, then there will be time to celebrate...and that is a big if playing at Samford.

Personally, I would equate clinching a share last weekend as being the same as winning a division title in basketball...it's cool, you put it in the media guide...but everyone knows you still have to win the tournament to go to the NCAA's, which is the true determinant of a successful season...which would you rather have, a SoCon title? Or a playoff bid? I'll take the playoff bid, the SoCon title is just window dressing as far as I am concerned.

Which really has been the attitude of most of the fans too...you don't see a ton of crowing on Mocfans...we all know what's riding this weekend, that 8-4, 6-2 and a share of the SoCon title might not be enough to get the Mocs into the playoffs...gotta get that win, then we can talk about celebrating.

blueballs
November 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
The department isn't going to make a big splash when, so far, all they have done is clinch a share...if they win it outright this weekend, there will be a much bigger splash.

I think the department has an "act like you've been there before" mentality...way too much still left to be playing for to be patting yourself on the back right now. If/when the Mocs win outright and know they have a playoff bid secured, then there will be time to celebrate...and that is a big if playing at Samford.

Personally, I would equate clinching a share last weekend as being the same as winning a division title in basketball...it's cool, you put it in the media guide...but everyone knows you still have to win the tournament to go to the NCAA's, which is the true determinant of a successful season...which would you rather have, a SoCon title? Or a playoff bid? I'll take the playoff bid, the SoCon title is just window dressing as far as I am concerned.

Which really has been the attitude of most of the fans too...you don't see a ton of crowing on Mocfans...we all know what's riding this weekend, that 8-4, 6-2 and a share of the SoCon title might not be enough to get the Mocs into the playoffs...gotta get that win, then we can talk about celebrating.

You guys have Stockholm Syndrome, it has been so long since you've celebrated you're hesitant to celebrate. LOL

It is a big deal... it will be a bigger deal if they defeat Sammy... it will be an even bigger deal if they can win one or more games in December or January.

gomocs82
November 11th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Moc fans might be a little gun shy. Not ready to celebrate in case the rug gets pulled out from under us (Charlie Brown's football) I agree with Chattanoogamocs. We have clinched a share, but not the auto-bid. Bigger celebration if UTC beats Samford on Saturday. Did, however, make the front page of the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Southern Bison
November 11th, 2013, 03:41 PM
You guys have Stockholm Syndrome, it has been so long since you've celebrated you're hesitant to celebrate. LOL

It is a big deal... it will be a bigger deal if they defeat Sammy... it will be an even bigger deal if they can win one or more games in December or January.

January?? Now that's restarted my laughter!

longtimemocfan
November 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Some truth to that Stockholm Syndrome LOL.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM

I think some of it is also that the coaching staff doesn't want to make it a big deal yet. They don't want the team to relax or be unfocused because there is still a lot of work to do...Huesman is worried (and with legitimate reason) that if they lose on Saturday, they'll get bounced from the playoffs. That fact definitely has the players attention.

Trust me, while we might be muted, people are excited...Sloan Allison and a bunch of guys who played for Rodney Allison and finished with Russ Huesman were all at the game on Saturday...Sloan Allison was in tears after they won (which is a really cool story itself...he could have easily said F.U. to UTC when his dad got fired, but not only did he stay, he did anything and everything that was asked for him by Huesman and the new staff...his had has moved back to Texas and Sloan is still here, cheering on his alma mater as an alumni...that means a lot to an "old timer" like me)

But you're right...UTC fans in general have seen so much bad football that they have forgotten how to stand up, how to get loud on 3rd down, etc, etc...there has been so little to cheer for, for so long, it is going to take a while for people to remember how "it works" being a football fan (I will say this, in the 4th qt, the crowd stood and made noise on defense).