PDA

View Full Version : At the Rhody-Delaware game it was said that Maine might be:

Brad82
October 29th, 2013, 06:35 AM
One of the two best teams in the country -NDSU the other.
Agree or disagree?

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Hard to believe but I agree

dystopiamembrane
October 29th, 2013, 08:19 AM
There's a school in Charleston, Illinois offering a better resume, but I'd say Maine is a strong 3 or 4 spot right now.

msupokes1
October 29th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I think NDSU is the clear cut number 1 at this point. I think there are quite a few other schools that could make a legitimate argument for 2.

mainejeff
October 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I think NDSU is the clear cut number 1 at this point. I think there are quite a few other schools that could make a legitimate argument for 2.

Agreed.

If Maine finishes 11-1 then they are a clear cut #2 IMO no matter what anyone else does. You just don't know how tough it is to go unbeaten in the CAA no matter how "down" the league may be. Would be pretty ironic to see Maine be one of the few teams that have ever done that.

ccd494
October 29th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm still terrified Maine is gonna go 1-3 with losses against the SUNYs and UNH. I've seen too much to believe.

Mattymc727
October 29th, 2013, 09:28 AM
That fight for the Musket is going to be awesome. No matter the records of either team, its always a close one that comes down to the wire. For a while I thought Maine might win that one easy, but UNH might also be fighting for a playoff spot that week. Could be one for the ages.

Maine's turnaround from last year is quite impressive. Still hate you though....

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I thought this was going to be "seceding from the Union".

mainejeff
October 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM

We're not talking about teams from Texas.

DoubleH
October 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Maine will be heavily favored in the next three games, so the biggest obstacle to 11-1 and an undefeated CAA season will be UNH. Maine is definitely a top-5 team right now. The Bison are clearly #1, and I think a case can be made for E. Illinois, Fordham, Maine, or E. Washington as #2.

citdog
October 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM

i'd be glad to help

State Line Liquors
October 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Maine was the best team that I've seen UD play this year, including Navy. Our loss to Maine was much more a loss because we got beat by the guys on the other side of the ball. The Navy loss was bad, but it was more a result of a failure to properly calibrate ourselves for a team that plays the unique style that Navy plays. Maine didn't need to rely on the TO gimmicks. They played us straight up, punched us in the mouth, and then kept on punching.

dystopiamembrane
October 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
...I think a case can be made for E. Illinois, Fordham, Maine, or E. Washington as #2.I would very much appreciate hearing reasoning for Fordham, Maine or Eastern WA as #2. Please start that discussion, DoubleH.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 29th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I would very much appreciate hearing reasoning for Fordham, Maine or Eastern WA as #2. Please start that discussion, DoubleH.

I'll chime in. I don't think Fordham makes the cut for #2 because while they have three strong wins (Temple, 'Nova, and Lehigh) the rest of their schedule has been pretty weak. On the other hand, they're undefeated.

EWU has the highest profile FBS win out of the group, but they also have two losses, one to an FCS team (SHSU). One of their wins is a D2, and their strongest FCS wins are Montana, UND, and SUU, respectable, but not exactly top tier.

Maine and EIU have pretty similar resumes. Wins against weak FBS programs (UMass for Maine, SDSU for EIU), their only losses are to FBS programs (Northwestern for Maine, Northern Illinois for EIU), and a mix of FCS wins from weak to strong. I don't see any of EIU's wins as being better than any of Maine's, and I might even give the edge to Maine's win over Villanova as being better than any of EIU's (though SIU might be close).

TigerFen
October 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I'm still terrified Maine is gonna go 1-3 with losses against the SUNYs and UNH. I've seen too much to believe.

I disagree on this and I'm a Towson fan. I think they win out and earn that top four that Towson is fighting for also. Going undefeated in the CAA is a great honor and I think it's a very tough thing to do in any conference. You seem to be a team more built on the Run than Towson. That serves teams well in November and December. UNH is the toughest remaining test especially if they're fighting for the playoffs.

dystopiamembrane
October 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I'll chime in.I agree with your assessment, however I would argue that EIU's strong showing against NIU pushes them over Maine whose showing against NU was simply the first revealing of how porous the Cat defense can be. I look forward to the rest of the season.

DoubleH
October 29th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I'll chime in. I don't think Fordham makes the cut for #2 because while they have three strong wins (Temple, 'Nova, and Lehigh) the rest of their schedule has been pretty weak. On the other hand, they're undefeated.

EWU has the highest profile FBS win out of the group, but they also have two losses, one to an FCS team (SHSU). One of their wins is a D2, and their strongest FCS wins are Montana, UND, and SUU, respectable, but not exactly top tier.

Maine and EIU have pretty similar resumes. Wins against weak FBS programs (UMass for Maine, SDSU for EIU), their only losses are to FBS programs (Northwestern for Maine, Northern Illinois for EIU), and a mix of FCS wins from weak to strong. I don't see any of EIU's wins as being better than any of Maine's, and I might even give the edge to Maine's win over Villanova as being better than any of EIU's (though SIU might be close).

Pretty much this, except I wouldn't have too much of an issue if someone wanted to rank Fordham 2nd. Three strong wins and being the only undefeated of the 3, even against a weaker schedule, makes it a defensible argument. I personally wouldn't put them 2nd, but I wouldn't have too much of an issue with it if they were.

lydiabixby
October 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
One of the two best teams in the country -NDSU the other.
Agree or disagree?

I've seen this before with UNH (rather than Maine). They do exceptionally well early in the season, then have games against weaker foes which helps them gain in the ratings and opinions so that they go into the play-offs highly rated but disappoint.

I am not saying this is the case with this year's Maine team but it might be. Except for their dominant win over Delaware, they have not been convincing winners in the CAA.

If I were not a UNH fan I would be a Maine fan. Boy, does it ever look like that end of season game in Durham might be important.

citdog
October 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM
On the FCS Wedge this week we have Maine Head Coach Jack Cosgrove who discusses Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the Maine Black Bears.

Anovafan
November 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM
Having seen Maine in person, I don't think they are in the elite group. They are a good, well coached team playing with confidence. The QB is so much better than last year. He was their weak link last year and is now their best player. Kudos to the coaching staff, they are doing a great job this year. The coaches know what they can do well and call a great game.

In my opinion, Towson is much, much better and is in that elite group at the top.