PDA

View Full Version : #4/6 Coastal Carolina @ Liberty

knucklehead
October 15th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Coastal Carolina 6-0 is at Liberty's Williams Stadium this Saturday at 3:30pm. The Flames are 3-3. The game will be on ESPN3 via the Big South Network. I do believe this game will feature official video review.

This series is knotted at 5 - 5. Over the last 4 meetings the game has been won by the home team. Here is a series breakdown from Flames Nation http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/libertycoastal-carolina-series-history/.

Liberty's strength is definitely it's defense. In my opinion Coastal's strength is in it Offense, specifically the running game. This creates some great statistical matchups as you can see. http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/by-the-numbers-coastals-o-vs-libertys-d/

Should be a great game with a huge crowd. xthumbsupx

kdinva
October 15th, 2013, 02:13 PM
should be at least 19,750 in attendance.......

CCU 24, Liberty 20.

Lehigh'98
October 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Intriguing game, normally Liberty is $$ at home, but this is a special CCU squad. 33-21, Chants.

knucklehead
October 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM
should be at least 19,750 in attendance.......

CCU 24, Liberty 20.

19,3something is the record so that would be nice. I hope we break 20K. I am moving all over with the score today, but I think 28 - 24 LU!

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM
One thing about Liberty is that despite being 0-history against top 10 teams going into last year's finale against a seemingly unstoppable Stony Brook team...Liberty held them to 14 points, picked off their QB more times in that game than he had been all season, and shut down their top running back, Miguel Maysonet (now on the practice squad of the Indianapolis Colts), holding him to his second lowest rushing yards total of the season. That said, Liberty will be ready and will feed off the home crowd, especially since its homecoming, and will win this game. It won't be a blowout, but I have no qualms expressing my confidence that Liberty will win this game

knucklehead
October 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM
A theme leading up to that SBU game was that they did not turn the ball over. They did in that game, as Liberty forced turnover after turnover. Then they said Taylor Heinicke never threw INTs, but he did vs LU. (Yes I know we lost, but that is why we were in the game).

My point is that CCU has been very clean, but I feel strong that LU's defense WILL create some turnovers. It will be a very good game, but in the end I think LU Holds serve and wins.

By the way Maysonete is with the JETS practice squad as of today. http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/nothing-but-jets-1.1279166/jets-to-sign-ex-stony-brook-rb-miguel-maysonet-to-practice-squad-1.6257232

Reign of Terrier
October 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'm going to say 31-20 Chants.

CCU is just too good offensively this year.

ngineer
October 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Having been to Liberty last year and experiencing the adverse atmosphere, this will be a very good barometer for CC. If they come out of this game with an impressive win, then I know they may be the real deal. Should be an exciting game.

SpeedkingATL
October 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
This is almost like an early playoff game. CCU has been damn good this year but I predict the home team to pull the upset in front of a big home crowd. 28-27 in OT.

CFBfan
October 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Coach P is a great OC, he did 2 years at Gtown after Hofstra canned football and they were the only years that the Hoyas had success and a winning record, he left and they are back to being awful. He energized the entire team Defense included

bodoyle
October 16th, 2013, 09:23 AM
One thing about Liberty is that despite being 0-history against top 10 teams going into last year's finale against a seemingly unstoppable Stony Brook team...Liberty held them to 14 points, picked off their QB more times in that game than he had been all season, and shut down their top running back, Miguel Maysonet (now on the practice squad of the Indianapolis Colts), holding him to his second lowest rushing yards total of the season. That said, Liberty will be ready and will feed off the home crowd, especially since its homecoming, and will win this game. It won't be a blowout, but I have no qualms expressing my confidence that Liberty will win this game

I might be looking at this through teal glasses, but the SBU team last year almost lost to Coastal at Coastal (27-21). The difference between CCU this year and SBU last year is CCU has not been in a close game in the 4th quarter (which is an obvious sign of a good team, but could also make them nervous when they are in a close game for the first time). That's mainly because the defense has been nails in the 2nd half and the offense keeps doing its thing. Joe Cashion, the CCU sideline reporter, mentioned after the GW game this past week that the CCU starting D has not allowed a touchdown in the 2nd half in the past 4 games (EKU, Hampton, Elon, GW). Some people might be selling the CCU D short.

bodoyle
October 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Coach P is a great OC, he did 2 years at Gtown after Hofstra canned football and they were the only years that the Hoyas had success and a winning record, he left and they are back to being awful. He energized the entire team Defense included

I'm with you. Everyone is heaping praise on CJM, and the players, but people are forgetting about the mad scientist who puts everything together.

knucklehead
October 16th, 2013, 09:26 AM
LU SID Game notes http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=11447&TeamID=

Series with Coastal Carolina:
• The overall series is tied, 5-5
• The home team has won the last four meetings in the series and has been victorious in eight of the 10 meetings
• Liberty is averaging 43.4 points per game when facing Coastal Carolina at Williams Stadium
• Liberty has outscored the Chanticleers by an average of 21.0 points per game in five meetings in Lynchburg (Coastal Carolina is averaging 22.4 points per game scored)
• Liberty defeated Coastal Carolina, 63-27, on Oct. 15, 2011, the last time the Chanticleers visited Williams Stadium
• Coastal Carolina was ranked No. 20 in the country when Liberty defeated the Chanticleers on Oct. 15, 2011 and the game was Liberty's Homecoming football contest
• The winner of the Coastal Carolina vs. Liberty game has gone on to win the Big South title (outright or shared) eight of the last nine years (in 2011, Liberty defeated Coastal Carolina, but Stony Brook won the Big South title)

knucklehead
October 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I hope the coaches and players are as overconfident at the fans. Liberty's Defense is the pretty stout. Take away the 3 lower level opponents and just look at the 3 others (ODU, UR, KSU). Those defensive performances are pretty impressive. To hold ODU that low offensively and take such a potent offensive and hold them to 1-6 in the red zone was staggering to me. I just feel like the LU D will hold the Coastal O down in yards and points, and it will be up to the LU O to score some points and finish drives.

This really comes down to Special teams, Turnovers, and Liberty's Offense.

Incidentally, the LU LB that was the key to stopping Maysonete last year, Nick Sigmon played against Taliaferro (and won) in a VA HS State Championship game. He was just quoted on twitter:

Sigmon on Taliaferro: "He's a great running back. He's going to bring the load every play. We can't have arm tackles this week."

Sigmon: "(Taliaferro's) put some weight on. He was a big boy in high school but he's definitely put on some weight."

bjtheflamesfan
October 16th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Coastal has a LOT of good things going for them headed into this weekend including winning their last 4 conference road games, although their last loss on the road to a current conference team was at Liberty in 2011 (Stony Brook now in the CAA). Liberty is 4-1 against the Chants in Williams Stadium and 1-0 against top 10 teams under Turner Gill. Also, Liberty has not lost a home football game by >25 points since I believe 2005 (42-0 to Youngstown State). The 18 game conference home winning streak goes without saying, and that includes a win in 2OT and a rally from down 18 points on homecoming last year. That said, Liberty has a lot going for themselves going in as well. Its going to be a war in Lynchburg on Saturday

knucklehead
October 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM
College Gameplan's GOTW Preview (with multiple LU LOGOS - Mostly the wrong one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bjywr9EbDFU

Love being the underdog.

rokamortis
October 16th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I hope the coaches and players are as overconfident at the fans. Liberty's Defense is the pretty stout. Take away the 3 lower level opponents and just look at the 3 others (ODU, UR, KSU). Those defensive performances are pretty impressive. To hold ODU that low offensively and take such a potent offensive and hold them to 1-6 in the red zone was staggering to me. I just feel like the LU D will hold the Coastal O down in yards and points, and it will be up to the LU O to score some points and finish drives.

This really comes down to Special teams, Turnovers, and Liberty's Offense.

Incidentally, the LU LB that was the key to stopping Maysonete last year, Nick Sigmon played against Taliaferro (and won) in a VA HS State Championship game. He was just quoted on twitter:

I thought your fans are way more overconfident than ours based on all of the talk of home field advantage and the crowd. The facts are that Coastal has a good offense and Liberty has a good defense. Should make for a great game.

rokamortis
October 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Highly impressed with Coach P. I hope we can hang onto him for a while. I wonder if he might stick around to take over the program when Moglia leaves.

van
October 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM

Put the mortgage on Liberty, based on young terrior not having a clue.

knucklehead
October 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Here's hoping Craig Haley is due on his Liberty Picks this year.

Game of the Week: No. 6 Coastal Carolina (6-0, 1-0 Big South) at X-Liberty (3-3, 0-0), 3:30 p.m. The winner figures to earn the Big South Conference's automatic bid to the FCS playoffs. Liberty has won 18 straight Big South home games.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_10_16_2013.htm

rokamortis
October 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Here's hoping Craig Haley is due on his Liberty Picks this year.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_10_16_2013.htm

All I know is that every time he's picked against us this year he's been wrong.

elcid83
October 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Put the mortgage on Liberty, based on young terrior not having a clue. I'm with you Van. Youngterrier deserves an award for Doofus of the year.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Put the mortgage on Liberty, based on young terrior not having a clue.

I'm with you Van. Youngterrier deserves an award for Doofus of the year.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

I <3 haters

knucklehead
October 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Here is a story that is to good not to share from Chris Lang. Brandon Apon, Liberty's TE has quite the story to tell. I hope CCU gets a big dose of Brandon on Saturday.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/article_db459a72-36bb-11e3-a4bd-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=story

“Coach [Aaron] Stamn, my current tight ends coach, I love watching him as a father. It’s almost like this excitement to me. I’m not so much scared of turning out like my dad. I’m excited about turning out like these other men who have been great examples. I’m probably more excited about being a loving husband and a loving father than your average guy because I’ve waited almost my whole life to give something that I wasn’t given.”

bodoyle
October 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I thought your fans are way more overconfident than ours based on all of the talk of home field advantage and the crowd. The facts are that Coastal has a good offense and Liberty has a good defense. Should make for a great game.

I'm with Rok on this. Your fans seem much more (over)confident than our fan base does.

knucklehead
October 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Did you read the prediction thread on your board?

rokamortis
October 17th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Did you read the prediction thread on your board?
Really? Being confident isn't the same as being over confident.

Also, did you check out the prediction thread on your board? I'm not surprised that the majority of your fans are predicting a Liberty win, some say a blowout. That's not how I judge you guys being overconfident.

Anyway, have fun cheering for your team and don't let the message boards get you worked up.

dystopiamembrane
October 17th, 2013, 06:22 PM
My thought: Liberty 27-34 Coastal Carolina

knucklehead
October 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Nice LU/CCU preview from the LFSN guys http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=11462&TeamID=

knucklehead
October 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Today is the day. 3:30 kickoff on ESPN3. Any CCU Fans in the 'Burg?

knucklehead
October 19th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Beat writer Gameday posts on both sides:
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/article_dafe5398-38c7-11e3-8186-0019bb30f31a.html
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/10/18/3780675/coastal-carolina-liberty-football.html

bodoyle
October 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Today is the day. 3:30 kickoff on ESPN3. Any CCU Fans in the 'Burg?

4 people that I know of are up there. I know they offered student's a free trip up, but it's a long break for them, so not sure how many will make the trip.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM
CCU just tied it up at 45 with less than a minute left....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2013, 05:57 PM
OT about to start! This has been a good one!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Liberty scores on their possession...CCU with a chance to answer...

52-45 Liberty

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM
CCU with a TD!!

52-52 All, headed to 2OT....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
CCU kicks a FG with their possession...Liberty with a chance to win or tie...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2013, 06:13 PM
CCU blocks a Liberty FG and holds for the win!!

I don't see anyway CCU loses a game the rest of the way. Liberty simply can't win meaningful football games.

rokamortis
October 19th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Whew, that was a close one

bodoyle
October 19th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Here is ESPNs video of the block: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9850805

ngineer
October 19th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Having been to Liberty last year and experiencing the adverse atmosphere, this will be a very good barometer for CC. If they come out of this game with an impressive win, then I know they may be the real deal. Should be an exciting game.

Guess I was pretty much on the money. Wish I could have experienced that one in person. CCU is the real deal. Don't see anyone stopping them the rest of regular season...other than themselves.