PDA

View Full Version : 45 Years Ago Today

AshevilleApp2
October 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
On October 10, 1968 the Detroit Tigers won game 7 of the World Series against the Cardinals behind the pitching of Mickey Lolich. In the series Lolich went 3-0 with 3 complete games and a 1.67 ERA and outdueled Bob Gibson in game 7. He also hit .250 with a homerun and 3 RBI's in the series.

Not too shabby.

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Great Series, packed with Hall of Fame players like Gibson, Brock, Kaline, Cepeda, Carlton and some great names from baseball history like Roger Maris, Denny McLain 31-6 that year. Tim McCarver popped out to end the series.

Hammerhead
October 11th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Fast forward 45 years and we the league championship series don't even start until the 11th and 12th. :)

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Fast forward 45 years and we the league championship series don't even start until the 11th and 12th. :)

xnodx

Well, there were no playoffs then.

What would never happen now though is the 7th game of the World Series being played on a weekday afternoon.

Laker
October 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I was thinking about how great a series that was, but I didn't get to see much of it between school, football and farming with the afternoon games. And yes, with 20 teams in MLB- ten in each league, and no playoffs- the season got done at a reasonable time.

Gil Dobie
October 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM
xnodx

Well, there were no playoffs then.

What would never happen now though is the 7th game of the World Series being played on a weekday afternoon.

I used to walk home at lunch to watch player introductions and as much of the first inning as possible, before going back to school and listening on the radio.

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I used to walk home at lunch to watch player introductions and as much of the first inning as possible, before going back to school and listening on the radio.

I lived just outside Detroit then, so we got to watch the games until school let out. For the 7th game we left after 6 innings with the game scoreless. About halfway home there was a junk store that always had one of those big old vacuum tube radios from the FDR era playing. When we got there, Ernie Harwell was announcing that the Tigers had gone up 3-0 after 7 innings. I caught the bottom of the eighth and the ninth at home, after running as fast as my fat little eight year old legs could carry me. xlolx