PDA

View Full Version : Fordham is damned good

Pages : 1 [2]

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, for your halftime entertainment, the Citadel gives you the kid from Deliverance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

you have us mixed up with Western Carolina and Appy St. We have been a city of culture and class long before you yankees crawled out of the sewers of Europe.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Doesn't every school have an "AI"? Even if it is not "official"? There's kids that ND simply won't accept. Same with Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Duke etc....

Holtz went to war with the ND President and AD over this.

You are absolutely correct: the Patriot League schools are perfectly capable of policing themselves, therefore the league enforced mandate should be abolished.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
On the contrary, it does do the school harm. The PL entire existence is premised on the athletes being students and not simply paid mercenaries. To the general populace, admitting a 'couple hundred' meatheads who can only run, jump or throw may not change their casual view of a school. To those who are not so casual in their evaluation of an institution, it matters. Moreover, we know that we are competing for a league title against other schools who are playing by the same set of rules. We do not need to 'dumb down' to be excellent.

The exact same thing could be accomplished with the individual PL schools policing their own admission policies, like Stanford does. I highly doubt anyone on Stanford's top 5 team in the nation at all levels has a single player who is "dumbed down", to use what I assume is the PL parlance.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2013, 11:47 PM
A bit disengenuous,CFB.While I'm not a big fan of the AI,I do recognize the rationale behind it ,to provide an even playing field among equivalent schools. Neither Pac nor Big 10 are remotely comparable. May well be that both would love an AI most of their conference will admit recruits that neither could admit. I would rather that PL leave admissions up to each school as long as all recruits fall within the parameters of each entering class. No doubt Fordham would have a slight advantage but to me that is the nature of life ,not everything is equal.The real difference between PL and FBS conferences is not only academics but the sheer size of the schools.

All this proves is that schools self policing their own admissions is even more effective than a league enforced AI!!

Think about it, Stanford and Northwestern certainly could admit the same academic caliber players that Ohio St and Oregon admit, yet they stick to their guns! PL schools wouldn't even feel that kind of pressure. It's beyond question that the individual PL schools would police their own admissions properly.

Abolish the league enforced AI. End

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I'm just sitting back and basking in this thread's epicness. I think all the Fordham posters are rightfully keeping away from this and silently gathering their tickets to Frisco.

Twentysix
October 10th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I'm just sitting back and basking in this thread's epicness. I think all the Fordham posters are rightfully keeping away from this and silently gathering their tickets to Frisco.

Lol, that zeppelin left months ago bud. Everything but the allotment the schools get sold out in august.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Lol, that zeppelin left months ago bud. Everything but the allotment the schools get sold out in august.

StubHub

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 10th, 2013, 12:35 AM
All this proves is that schools self policing their own admissions is even more effective than a league enforced AI!!

Think about it, Stanford and Northwestern certainly could admit the same academic caliber players that Ohio St and Oregon admit, yet they stick to their guns! PL schools wouldn't even feel that kind of pressure. It's beyond question that the individual PL schools would police their own admissions properly.

Abolish the league enforced AI. End

Even if it was up to the individual schools I doubt it would change their AI number. If the number was kept the same and never spoken of would it appear less snobbish? If AI was used but never known of I doubt it would be an issue....

EVERY CONFERENCE should have some minimum requirements that they're comfortable with imo. I don't trust any school, including Temple, the self police themselves.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 10th, 2013, 12:36 AM

...anything to keep their minds off basketball season

crusader11
October 10th, 2013, 09:36 AM
This thread really has been a great read.

Please, don't stop.

Fordham
October 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I think you're all making great points but the other side isn't quite getting what each of you are trying to communicate. Better that you all keep posting and make sure your views are understood.

(... and keep bumping this beautifully worded thread title back to the top of the page!!!!)

PAllen
October 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Kalm, you have to remember that for the PL, there's very little if nothing west of the Hudson. The rest of the country is known as "Flyover States"...Ironic since those Damn Yankees wouldn't have any wood, food, clothing, fuel, coal, etc., etc., etc. if it wasn't for the "Flyover States" or the South.

Uh, most of the PL is west of the Hudson.

PAllen
October 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
You are absolutely correct: the Patriot League schools are perfectly capable of policing themselves, therefore the league enforced mandate should be abolished.

Mpls, why do you care about the PL AI so much? I think I should start trolling on every NDSU thread about how the MVFC should institute an AI at IL/PL levels because they can't police themselves. Nah, I've got a life to live.

Sader87
October 10th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Fordham is strong but i think their defense will be their ultimate undoing....oops, wrong thread...no wait....what????

CFBfan
October 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Fordham is strong but i think their defense will be their ultimate undoing....oops, wrong thread...no wait....what????

it depends on how many teams they have to defend against without an AI, ha!

Fordham
October 10th, 2013, 01:43 PM

no question. Our D has done exactly what we've needed them to in order to win regardless of the competition. There's no real bad news yet ... just this overall sense that we could be in trouble if/when we face an FCS juggernaut.

We score so frequently that we don't have to stop the opponent every time they have the ball. Just enough to win. Not sure how far that will get us but it's been a heckuva lot of fun this year.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Saturday's game will be an exhibition for Fordham. Starters out by halftime.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM
no question. Our D has done exactly what we've needed them to in order to win regardless of the competition. There's no real bad news yet ... just this overall sense that we could be in trouble if/when we face an FCS juggernaut.

We score so frequently that we don't have to stop the opponent every time they have the ball. Just enough to win. Not sure how far that will get us but it's been a heckuva lot of fun this year.

A fair concern, though you stopped Temple and (more intriguingly) Villanova very effectively.

FordhamFan
October 10th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Fordham definitely hates the AI. Fordham is a great school, but definitely not snotty about their education.

As for football talk, Fordham is definitely very good. I think they can play with anybody, but I can't be sure. A team that can run the ball can really put a damper on Fordham. As seen at St. Francis, you can run the ball on Fordham. A good smashmouth game that keeps the ball out of the offense's hands would be devastating.

The attitude offensively is that if the defense holds the team to under 30, they'll win. Problem is for this defense giving up 30 isn't that hard. I can't say whether Fordham could play with the MVFC teams, because they haven't played competition like that, but I don't think they'd get smacked. Just too much offense for anybody to handle. Nebrich, Koonce, Ajala, Tebucky Jones, Wetzel (who is flat out amazing), Light at TE. Offense is studly. Defense will be their downfall

ngineer
October 10th, 2013, 08:32 PM
As noted, a ball control team that can drive for 5-7 minutes, and score, is the team to beat the Rams. Keeping the ball out of Nebrich's hands is the key to beating Fordham. That guy will be playing on Sundays in the future.

MplsBison
October 10th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Even if it was up to the individual schools I doubt it would change their AI number. If the number was kept the same and never spoken of would it appear less snobbish? If AI was used but never known of I doubt it would be an issue....

EVERY CONFERENCE should have some minimum requirements that they're comfortable with imo. I don't trust any school, including Temple, the self police themselves.

Hence why the NCAA enforces the only minimum requirements that officially matter. It should be the decision of each individual school to choose their own admission policy for student athletes above and beyond that as it sees fit.

Lehigh, Colgate or Fordham may choose to institute a policy that limits football student-athlete admissions to something similar as the AI dictates currently, but then that would be the school's choice. NOT thrust upon them by the Patriot League like a defiler who jumps out of the bushes at a passing by jogger.

ngineer
October 10th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Hence why the NCAA enforces the only minimum requirements that officially matter. It should be the decision of each individual school to choose their own admission policy for student athletes above and beyond that as it sees fit.

Lehigh, Colgate or Fordham may choose to institute a policy that limits football student-athlete admissions to something similar as the AI dictates currently, but then that would be the school's choice. NOT thrust upon them by the Patriot League like a defiler who jumps out of the bushes at a passing by jogger.

If the school doesn't like the rules of the league they can leave. That simple. Everyone knew the rules going in. Nothing was "thrust" upon them after the fact.

Sader87
October 10th, 2013, 11:41 PM
The PL was supposed to be non-scholarship too....how'd that work out????

MplsBison
October 11th, 2013, 07:59 PM
The PL was supposed to be non-scholarship too....how'd that work out????

Exactly correct.

The Patriot League is rightly whatever the member schools decide it should be. Nothing is nor should be etched in stone. Change is just fine if it's a change from an immoral, incorrect policy to the correct policy.

ngineer
October 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM
If the league members want to change rules, it can change rules. The original experiment found that limiting themselves to need-based financial aid was hamstringing their ability to recruit not just better athletes, but better students. So?

SeattleGriz
October 11th, 2013, 08:18 PM
That is all. Hats off to them. They are a very, very good team.

Do you get paid for this ****?

RichH2
October 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Do you get paid for this ****?

Is there something wrong with saying that an opponent is very godd? Must be out your your neck of the woods. We dont sagree. Either way they are a very good squad.

MplsBison
October 11th, 2013, 08:52 PM
If the league members want to change rules, it can change rules. The original experiment found that limiting themselves to need-based financial aid was hamstringing their ability to recruit not just better athletes, but better students. So?

So it's proof that the PL rules should be changed if it's the right thing to do.

in the case of allowing the individual schools to decide their own student-athlete admission standards, it's the right thing to do.

SeattleGriz
October 11th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Is there something wrong with saying that an opponent is very godd? Must be out your your neck of the woods. We dont sagree. Either way they are a very good squad.

Was I talking to you pal? Butt out. Fordham is going to get rolled.

RichH2
October 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM

This topic has nothing to do with you,so please take your own advice and keep yur nose out of our business and stick it back up your *ss,where it belongs.

PAllen
October 11th, 2013, 10:51 PM
So it's proof that the PL rules should be changed if it's the right thing to do.

in the case of allowing the individual schools to decide their own student-athlete admission standards, it's the right thing to do.

If it's the right thing to do? Yes

Because you think it's the right thing to do? Hell No.

Fordham
October 12th, 2013, 06:15 AM

I would have sent this via pm but prefer to thank you in front of the group for giving this thread a new set of legs. We had fallen onto page 2 and I wasn't sure how to bump it up without appearing desperate.

xthumbsupx

TigerFen
October 12th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I think Fordham is really good here on both sides of the ball. If someone like UNI or Towson lose two games here in the final stretch, I think they're a Dark Horse to get in as a seed (thinking a 6-8 seed). This team could have a deep run and I hope Towson doesn't face them in the playoffs. They're the team I fear most in the Early rounds, more so than Lehigh or Bethune-Cookman.

Brad82
October 12th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Fordham is remarkable story,neat place but not great facilities (?).

LehighU11
October 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I think Fordham is really good here on both sides of the ball. If someone like UNI or Towson lose two games here in the final stretch, I think they're a Dark Horse to get in as a seed (thinking a 6-8 seed). This team could have a deep run and I hope Towson doesn't face them in the playoffs. They're the team I fear most in the Early rounds, more so than Lehigh or Bethune-Cookman.

As you should. Lehigh is nowhere near the team that came to Johnny Unitas Stadium in 2011 and won in an instant classic. Our team actually had a defense that year, with even more weapons on offense.

While they don't have the strongest or most consistent D, Fordham could keep up with Towson in a track meet of a game that could provide more scoring than Lehigh-Towson a couple years back. That would be a great semifinal or quarterfinal matchup.

RichH2
October 12th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Fordham-Towson game would be great fun.High scoring nailbiter.

SeattleGriz
October 12th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I would have sent this via pm but prefer to thank you in front of the group for giving this thread a new set of legs. We had fallen onto page 2 and I wasn't sure how to bump it up without appearing desperate.

xthumbsupx

Anytime. I really don't think Fordham is going to get rolled, just trying to keep the "Patriot cant play" mantra going. Actually watched one of their games this year and was impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

SeattleGriz
October 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
This topic has nothing to do with you,so please take your own advice and keep yur nose out of our business and stick it back up your *ss,where it belongs.

Good reply, totally deserved it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

MplsBison
October 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
If it's the right thing to do? Yes

Because you think it's the right thing to do? Hell No.

In this case they happen to align exactly.

MplsBison
October 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I got my way on scholarships.

I'll have my way on admissions too. Traditionalists be damned.

PAllen
October 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM
.. a game that could provide more scoring than Lehigh-Towson a couple years back.

is that even possible? There was what, one stop in that game? And even that was a safety.

PAllen
October 12th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I got my way on scholarships.

I'll have my way on admissions too. Traditionalists be damned.

Didn't know NDSU was applying to the Patriot.

Twentysix
October 12th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Didn't know NDSU was applying to the Patriot.

Is the patriot going FBS? :p

LehighU11
October 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
is that even possible? There was what, one stop in that game? And even that was a safety.

Looked back at the box score and each team had 2 punts, a fumble, and a turnover on downs. Safety was indeed the deciding factor.

ODU-Georgia Southern score that day was 48-55; even less defense than our game.

LehighU11
October 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Is the patriot going FBS? :p

Didn't you hear? With scholarships, the Patriot League is going to be winning recruiting battles with Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Duke. We'll quickly surpass the AAC and Big 10.

MplsBison
October 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Didn't you hear? With scholarships, the Patriot League is going to be winning recruiting battles with Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Duke. We'll quickly surpass the AAC and Big 10.

Obviously your comment is tongue in cheek, but .....well?

Let's just say "what could have been", given the correct vision by previous leaders at some of the PL schools.

Lehigh'98
October 12th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Fordham's W against Villanoa is starting to look outstanding.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 12th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Fordham has a claim to #2 imo. #4 at worst.....

SHSU's performance was as aspiring as Lehigh's today. EIU deserves serious respect...ohh but they're in the OVC...jk

1. NDSU
2. EIU
3. Fordham
4. SHSU
5. Villanova

RichH2
October 12th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I have FU and Nova at 3 and 4. Nova decisive over a very good TU team. Seems a bunch of teams had slumps today.