PDA

View Full Version : CSN Log: SFA traveled a long way to get a loss

CSN Log
October 4th, 2013, 04:41 AM
10-02-2013 05:12 AM

No one has ever seen anything like Stephen F. Austin’s 56-48 loss to Prairie View A&M last Saturday night. And that’s not a case of hyperbole.
The Lumberjacks set a Football Championship Subdivision record for the most yards gained by a losing team in a game, failing to beat the Panthers despite 827 yards. The previous mark of 756 was set by Steve McNair and Alcorn State in a 62-56 loss to Grambling State in 1994.
“I’ve never seen that before,” said SFA coach J.C. Harper. “As we grow older, those things happen, I guess.”
Quarterback Brady Attaway contributed for 662 of those yards through the air. Only Old Dominion’s Taylor Heinecke has thrown for more in FCS history, with a 730-yard effort against New Hampshire highlighting his Payton Award-winning season last year.
Attaway broke the previous Southland record of 619 yards set by Louisiana-Monroe’s Doug Pederson against SFA in 1989.
“I don’t know how you could ask for more out of Brady Attaway,” Harper said. “He’s playing at a very high level right now, the best he’s been since he’s been here. He’s on fire right now.”
Obviously Harper could ask for more out of his defense.
The Lumberjacks allowed 582 yards to the Panthers, who were led by quarterback Jerry Lovelocke’s five touchdowns.
Ball security was also a major issue for SFA, which lost four fumbles.
• GOING STREAKING: With its victory over No. 2 Eastern Washington, Sam Houston State became the Division I leader in consecutive home wins with 18. The Bearkats haven’t lost in Bowers Stadium since falling to McNeese on Nov. 13, 2010.
Michigan has the next longest streak at 17.
• FLANDERS 5K: With his 280-yard performance against EWU, Bearkats running back Timothy Flanders became the first Southland running back to reach 5,000 career rushing yards. He is the 22nd FCS player to ever reach that mark.
Adrian Peterson — the one who played for the Chicago Bears — is the all-time leader with 6,559 yards at Georgia Southern from 1998-2001.
• BRONZE MEDALIST: Any other week Nicholls State quarterback Tuskani Figaro probably would have been named the SLC Offensive Player Of The Week. Instead, he was stuck behind Attaway and Flanders’ performances, which earned recognition not just at the conference level but as the national co-players of the week.
Figaro set a Nicholls single-game record with 281 rushing yards and threw for three touchdowns to go along with a pair on the ground in the Colonels’ 44-34 win over Division II Arkansas Tech.
• LIGHT SCHEDULE: The only conference game this week, other than McNeese at Central Arkansas, is Southeastern Louisiana’s meeting with future league member Incarnate Word (3-2). Both of Incarnate Word’s losses were at the hands of SLC schools — Central Arkansas (58-7) and Sam Houston State (52-21).
By Alex Hickey, American Press
http://www.americanpress.com/Sports/Southland-Notebook-10-2-13

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2013/10/02/sfa-traveled-a-long-way?blog=2)