PDA

View Full Version : FBS Apparel at FCS games???

Milktruck74
September 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
As a long-suffering Moc Fan, I use to get upset when I saw that Garbage Truck Driver Orange Hue at my Mocs Games. It just down right Pissed me off. But as I think back to my time and what we refered to as "MCI Game" meaning friends and family (its a 90s reference) only on game day, I kinda think it was fun to play in front of any crowd regardless of the color in the stands. I played in front of 93k at Auburn, Marshall was always packed, ASU was full, GSU was full too. Even though we were the away team it was usually more to play in front of a crowd wrong colors then empty seats.... What is your take on your fans showing up in the near by FCS colors?

Texas
September 30th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Our biggest is people wearing Texas A&M gear. Seen at least four people with hats on at our stadium vs EWU. One guy wearing a Montana shirt, not sure what point he's trying to prove with that.

Sent from my Nexus 4

PAllen
September 30th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I'll most likely be wearing a Lehigh jacket over my Purdue sweatshirt when I go to the Penn State v Purdue game later this year. What's the big deal? They're at your games right? Are they not allowed to be fans or alums (as in my case) of more than one school? Hell, every time I go to a MLB game, I wear a Durham Bulls hat I picked up a few years back. I guess I'm just one of those guys that gets under your skin.

BTW, the Montana shirt was probably on a Montana fan who was in the area and wanted to see one of the premier match ups that week.

PantherRob82
September 30th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Youngstown State has a LOT of Ohio State gear. Most I've seen of any FBS school at an FCS school.

gumby013
September 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Went to a Towson game earlier this year and it was probably 25% Ravens colors.

I wear my NDSU gear to every game I attend. I'm not a fan of your team. I'm a fan of mine...and I like to watch good football.

Milktruck74
September 30th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I'll most likely be wearing a Lehigh jacket over my Purdue sweatshirt when I go to the Penn State v Purdue game later this year. What's the big deal? They're at your games right? Are they not allowed to be fans or alums (as in my case) of more than one school? Hell, every time I go to a MLB game, I wear a Durham Bulls hat I picked up a few years back. I guess I'm just one of those guys that gets under your skin.

BTW, the Montana shirt was probably on a Montana fan who was in the area and wanted to see one of the premier match ups that week.

This is kinda where I am now. As a player it really got on my nerves to see UT crap on campus, but then again they did buy a ticket and that is helping the program. Just wondering if everybody else faced similar issues and how it is received in your stadiums. I always felt if UTC would win more games we would have more blue and gold and less orange (Marshal never had alot of WVU colors, not much Red at GSU). But I was wondering if the premier programs faced it like we do in Chattanooga.

Milktruck74
September 30th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I've worn my Mocs Gear to 3 BCS national Championship games....even when we were 1-11. They are MY Mocs.

TTUEagles
September 30th, 2013, 07:58 PM
It's kind of like trying to rid my backyard of all of these damned moles. Once I just learned to co-exist with them, my life became a lot less stressful.

Milktruck74
September 30th, 2013, 08:04 PM
It's kind of like trying to rid my backyard of all of these damned moles. Once I just learned to co-exist with them, my life became a lot less stressful.

Yes!!! and we have the SAME family of Moles!

McNeese75
September 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Plenty of LSU purple and gold at Cowboy home games. Regarding the previous post about the Montana shirt at the SHSU I agree with the subsequent poster that assumed he was a Montana fan coming to see the game. On the few occasions I have been able to see an FCS between two other teams I will always wear MSU gear.

Skyhawk71
September 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Yes!!! and we have the SAME family of Moles!

Goodness, so many moles, and the same evil moles, even way out here in the west- I only hate it if they don't stay the whole game- but I have accepted their evil existence- GO BULLDOGS, this week anyway

Let me also note that since they have UT alumni status most of our alumni use that to get season tickets to Knoxville, and basically that somehow they are too good to come to Martin for a game, so we actually have a very limited amount of "puke" orange in the stands

CHIP72
September 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I attend many sports events, and my big pet peeve is people wearing apparel for the "wrong" sport to a given game (i.e. a football team's apparel to a baseball game or something similar). My one exception would be someone wearing college gear that includes the name of a sport and attending a college game involving a different sport (such as someone wearing a NAME OF SCHOOL basketball shirt to a college football game or vice-versa).

I'm still trying to figure out what college stuff I'll wear when I attend the Bloomsburg/East Stroudsburg Division II football game on 10/19.

superman7515
September 30th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what college stuff I'll wear when I attend the Bloomsburg/East Stroudsburg Division II football game on 10/19.

I've got some Millersville Marauders wrestling coaches gear you can wear. Haha

superman7515
September 30th, 2013, 09:30 PM
As a long-suffering Moc Fan, I use to get upset when I saw that Garbage Truck Driver Orange Hue at my Mocs Games. It just down right Pissed me off. But as I think back to my time and what we refered to as "MCI Game" meaning friends and family (its a 90s reference) only on game day, I kinda think it was fun to play in front of any crowd regardless of the color in the stands. I played in front of 93k at Auburn, Marshall was always packed, ASU was full, GSU was full too. Even though we were the away team it was usually more to play in front of a crowd wrong colors then empty seats.... What is your take on your fans showing up in the near by FCS colors?

Not really a problem around here, Temple doesn't exactly spark a lot of interest and they're the only FBS school particularly close. Never really seen any Penn State gear unless West Chester, Villanova, or Lehigh were in town. Never noticed any Maryland/Virginia gear when Towson, JMU, W&M, Richmond were here. Did see some East Carolina gear last week in the JMU fans. Maybe they didn't have any Dukes gear and just needed some purple?

dgtw
September 30th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I was at the Georgia Dome for the Jax St-Georgia State game and saw two UGA hats and one guy in a Bama jacket.

My wife gets really ticked when she sees Bama gear at Jax State.

GAD
September 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Even though we are about 15 minutes from LSU you don't see much of there gear on our campus or at our games, the biggest issue we are having is getting everyone in columbia blue and not royal or navy blue
Most Southern fans are Southern fans

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I've worn a Temple T Shirt with a Lehigh hat to a few games. When I've been to NDSU, Montana and MSU i've worn Lehigh stuff. If I attended a FBS game I'd only rep Temple. Unless, it was a ND game and Temple wasn't the opponent.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Ah, none of that bothers me in any way. Even wearing other teams stuff to a Griz game means nothing to me. If I felt like wearing another teams colors to a Griz game I would but it would be another FCS teams garb and not any FBS stuff. I usually have plenty of clean UM gear to wear though so it's not a problem usually.

Hell, I'm wearing a Wofford sweatshirt as I'm typing this. xlolx

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Ah, none of that bothers me in any way. Even wearing other teams stuff to a Griz game means nothing to me. If I felt like wearing another teams colors to a Griz game I would but it would be another FCS teams garb and not any FBS stuff. I usually have plenty of clean UM gear to wear though so it's not a problem usually.

Hell, I'm wearing a Wofford sweatshirt as I'm typing this. xlolx

xsmugx xlolx

On the topic, I don't see much FBS gear at Bison games...you will run into some Husker gear and Gopher gear (hockey driven) on occasion in town...some Hawkeye and Cyclone FBS team gear as well but not often.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM
This is probably not a big problem at major state schools in Montana, Dakotas, Delaware, and New England. I have to say the UGA attire is seen a lot less on game day and around Statesboro in general, but we are (and always will be) in Dawg Country.

I usually don't have to listen to too much out of them when I point out that most Georgians like the Braves, Falcons, and Dawgs and all three teams manage to choke when it comes to winning championships. I also like to point out to people in our area that Ga Southern has a $.75 Billion impact on the Coastal Empire economy while UGA has ZERO economic impact so I try to support my backyard.

Go Dawgs....and take the Yeller Jackets with ya!

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
This is probably not a big problem at major state schools in Montana, Dakotas, Delaware, and New England. I have to say the UGA attire is seen a lot less on game gay and around Statesboro in general, but we are (and always will be) in Dawg Country.

I usually don't have to listen to too much out of them when I point out that most Georgians like the Braves, Falcons, and Dawgs and all three teams manage to choke when it comes to winning championships. I also like to point out to people in our area that Ga Southern has a $.75 Billion impact on the Coastal Empire economy while UGA has ZERO economic impact so I try to support my backyard.

Go Dawgs....and take the Yeller Jackets with ya!

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.12700207.9422/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Twentysix
September 30th, 2013, 10:12 PM
xsmugx xlolx

On the topic, I don't see much FBS gear at Bison games...you will run into some Husker gear and Gopher gear (hockey driven) on occasion in town...some Hawkeye and Cyclone FBS team gear as well but not often.

As far as college gear goes probably 30% of all college gear worn on the NDSU campus is Minnesota Gopher gear, and 5% is UND gear, 5% is Wisconsin gear, 1% is Nebraska gear. 59% is bison gear though :p. But like he says, it doesn't make it into the games.

Though when I take a class at MSUM I see a fair amount of bison gear over there so who knows.

eaglewraith
September 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM
One of Chattanooga's finest fans was wearing a UGA shirt with his UTC shorts whilst making a general ass of himself Saturday night.

IBleedYellow
September 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I'm actually going to turn this around:

I'm hearing more and more complaints from my friends in the cities that are big Gopher fans that are ticked off they keep seeing more and more NDSU gear being worn around their campus.

BEAR
September 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
People in pig gear accidentally get drinks spilled on them. Yeah, we need the fans. But not those. Huck the fogs.

Milktruck74
October 1st, 2013, 05:57 AM

I'm hearing more and more complaints from my friends in the cities that are big Gopher fans that are ticked off they keep seeing more and more NDSU gear being worn around their campus.

This makes me happy....and HOPEFUL.

ysubigred
October 1st, 2013, 07:23 AM
Youngstown State has a LOT of Ohio State gear. Most I've seen of any FBS school at an FCS school.

Plus 1^^ I've stopped going to home YSU games. The Majority of fan's in Y-town are clueless! We have a base of old timer's and Road Warriors that are second to none but after that the fan base is 0!

http://www.mmgphotographystudio.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/BECOME-A-FAN.jpg http://i.imgur.com/vL1jd.jpg

ysubigred
October 1st, 2013, 08:15 AM

I would not doubt it!! NDSU is hot **** right now.. No joke xbowx The band wagon jumpers at my stadium might be showing up in NDSU stuff also xlolx

WH49er
October 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
I'll help you with this problem.....go to your nearest Wal-Mart and set the college apparel racks on fire. Repeat this about 9,000 times and the issue should be solved.

darell1976
October 1st, 2013, 08:30 AM
As far as college gear goes probably 30% of all college gear worn on the NDSU campus is Minnesota Gopher gear, and 5% is UND gear, 5% is Wisconsin gear, 1% is Nebraska gear. 59% is bison gear though :p. But like he says, it doesn't make it into the games.

Though when I take a class at MSUM I see a fair amount of bison gear over there so who knows.

I wonder what kind of looks they get from Bison fans? Or are they the NDSU football/UND hockey fans?

Skyhawk71
October 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM
NDSU Football/UND Hockey Fans= Tennessee Football Fans/Kentucky Basketball Fans, here on the state line, they are hated by both groups, and doubly hated by everyone that despises UTK and UK

Hammerhead
October 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM
For some reason, I always see a few Twins baseball caps at Vikings games, even when they are on the road which seems odd to me.

The only game I can recall attending where I wasn't a fan of either team was back in 1994 when I did some training in Butte and the manager their took me to a game in Missoula. My in-laws are Chiefs and Eagles fans so if we ever get to another game with them, I'd probably just wear something with the color of whatever team they are rooting for.

I attend many sports events, and my big pet peeve is people wearing apparel for the "wrong" sport to a given game (i.e. a football team's apparel to a baseball game or something similar). My one exception would be someone wearing college gear that includes the name of a sport and attending a college game involving a different sport (such as someone wearing a NAME OF SCHOOL basketball shirt to a college football game or vice-versa).

walliver
October 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Our biggest is people wearing Texas A&M gear. Seen at least four people with hats on at our stadium vs EWU. One guy wearing a Montana shirt, not sure what point he's trying to prove with that.

Sent from my Nexus 4

That's not particularly uncommon. A few years ago, we had a Montana fan whose work assigned him to Upstate SC, who adopted Wofford as his team away from home for several years. He attended games and was active on our message board, until he was reassigned somewhere out west.

SpeedkingATL
October 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM
There was a time when you saw a lot of UNC and NCSU swag at App games (70's and 80's) but not so much today. Personally I wear App swag to all sporting events ATL Falcons/Hawks/Braves, golf tourneys or the occasional UGA or Tech game.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
That's not particularly uncommon. A few years ago, we had a Montana fan whose work assigned him to Upstate SC, who adopted Wofford as his team away from home for several years. He attended games and was active on our message board, until he was reassigned somewhere out west.

Most Montana fans I know will go and see some FCS teams as opposed to or including a BCS team in the area. If I were in the area I would be going to Wofford, Furman, SC State games before seeing Clemson or South Carolina.

And I'd be at Tommy's Ham House every morning.

marenlee
October 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM
If I go to the GSU/Citadel game I'm sporting my Bison swag :) I may get a Southern hat to wear with it.

CassBison
October 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM
I wonder what kind of looks they get from Bison fans? Or are they the NDSU football/UND hockey fans?

This is considered unacceptable at NDSU and those students who wear UND gear at NDSU have been called out on different facebook pages used by NDSU students

Twentysix
October 1st, 2013, 11:19 AM

In person usually nothing happens to them, maybe some glares or something. On social media people are pretty vocal about it. Some people care some people don't.

I think if UND doesn't catch up in football anytime soon NDSU football/UND hockey might be a pretty common thing seen in a North Dakota citizen. Young people really care less and less about the UND rivalry, at least at NDSU. When I was a freshman in 07 it was still a pretty hot topic. Students are generally apathetic now, they say they don't like UND but they don't really have the passionate hate... which is a good thing imo :\. If UND is non competitive with NDSU or ends up on a lower level than NDSU for the next 10-15 years, the intenseness of the rivalry might be pretty much over.

I'm speaking strictly to football, if that wasn't clear.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM
This is considered unacceptable at NDSU and those students who wear UND gear at NDSU have been called out on different facebook pages used by NDSU students

xlolx

Well I suppose if one were the type of person that they would give a rat's ass about that then deserve the shame.

I'd like you all to go call me out of FB today BTW, I'll never know about it.

Twentysix
October 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM
xlolx

Well I suppose if one were the type of person that they would give a rat's ass about that then deserve the shame.

I'd like you all to go call me out of FB today BTW, I'll never know about it.

Passive, is about as aggressive as we get. :p.

BisonFan02
October 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Passive, is about as aggressive as we get. :p.

Oh yeah?!?!?! Well, you have a nice day ya hear. :D

melloware13
October 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM
Penn State is the king of the area up here (Poconos area), local paper has more PSU articles than ESU. Kind of sad actually. Knowing that a fellow poster will be in Monroe County might make me go across the creek for that game.

Evolution Prime
October 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM
I would prefer it if no FBS stuff was worn at FCS games, but for the most part it doesn't bother me if it is casual fans showing up for a game. The only time it bothers me if I would see students wearing it. They should be there to support the school, not some one elses.

On a different note, I brought my SDSU gear to an Iowa State vs UConn game when I was in Hartford for some training for work. I wasn't really rooting for any team until a UConn fan pushed the ISU mascot off the stairs and the mascot ended up with a broken arm. I have despised UConn ever since.

chattanoogamocs
October 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM
The good thing is, I think there is a lot less Orange in Chattanooga than there used to be...it helps that the Mocs have gotten better while UTK has been average to terrible during the same time period.

It used to bother me...now I just don't really care. I fall more on the side of, "well, at least they are here, filling a seat and spending some money."

Apphole
October 1st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Not really an issue at App football games.

marenlee
October 1st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Not really an issue at App football games.

Well considering the history of NC football :D I'd say App is probably the most successful program to come out of the state. Probably not too worried about others wearing Duke/Wake Forrest/ECU jerseys. I do like NC State though.

Milktruck74
October 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM
I just like to remind those wearing orange that ....I wear my Mocs gear because I went there, they wear the UT shirt because they went to Walmart!

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
You'll see lots of different high school colors at Lafayette games but rarely would you see gear from any other college (except for that day's opponent of course). Generally it's a sea of maroon and white. Penn State, Temple or Rutgers (local FBS) would be completely unheard of. I've seen Princeton and Penn on occasion, and once I saw a Michigan jacket. Army as well but they're a PL member and, anyhow, that doesn't count no matter where you are. Army and Navy colors are welcome at any PL game.

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Wake Forrest

http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Nodar-Kumartashvili-funeral-wake-pic-1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jmWnBmzCxBo/Ta9LftKX6TI/AAAAAAAAAAU/5RZRMVI6Scc/s1600/politics+-+Nathan+Bedford+Forrest.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 09:03 PM
http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Nodar-Kumartashvili-funeral-wake-pic-1.jpg

Creepy, citdog.

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 09:17 PM
Creepy, citdog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

IBleedYellow
October 1st, 2013, 10:11 PM
The UN_ hockey fans are becoming more around here, mainly because MN is such a big hockey state, and lots of people are either Goofs or UN_.

Most true NDSU fans and students don't agree with them wearing those colors. The Facebook pages are actually pretty lame because Lakesbison got added to them and always starts...well being lakes when the UN_ subject is brought up.

Moto X

penguinpower
October 2nd, 2013, 06:32 AM
YSU is so bad with Ohio State stuff that if Gameday had visited the campus viewers would be confused which school Gameday was visiting. Most YSU fans that I know are YSU first and Buckeye fans second. That is also perfectly acceptable in Ohio. Even if you are a MAC school fan people root for the Buckeyes. The only school that I know of that is a little more divided is Cincinnatti. Some Cinci fans hate the Buckeyes. Ohio is different in that there is no in state rivalry with Ohio State. For example, You have Gerogia Vs Gerogia Tech, Michigan Vs Michigan State, Florida Vs Florida State, Stanford Vs USC, Texas A&M Vs Texas, Auburn Vs Alabama etc... but that does not exist in Ohio. Hell, YSU used to schedule their games around Ohio State games becuase that is what a lot of fans wanted.

It is what it is.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
I have been to every single home game at The Citadel for the last 6 years and many games over the years since 1981 and I can't ever remember seeing anything but Citadel attire worn by its fans. There might be the odd friend or family member who comes wearing something else, but hardly anything. Now if we can just get the folks tailgating (all wearing their Citadel Blue) who are watching the Carolina or Clemson games on their big screen TVs to come into the stadium, we would be better off.

penguinpower
October 2nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
I have been to every single home game at The Citadel for the last 6 years and many games over the years since 1981 and I can't ever remember seeing anything but Citadel attire worn by its fans. There might be the odd friend or family member who comes wearing something else, but hardly anything. Now if we can just get the folks tailgating (all wearing their Citadel Blue) who are watching the Carolina or Clemson games on their big screen TVs to come into the stadium, we would be better off.

I remember when YSU played the Citadel back in the 90's. We played at the Citadel in the playoffs and the PA announcer was literally ordering the crowd to cheer. I never saw anything like that since. It had an effect on the YSU players enough that Tamron Smith saluted in the endzone.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
I remember when YSU played the Citadel back in the 90's. We played at the Citadel in the playoffs and the PA announcer was literally ordering the crowd to cheer. I never saw anything like that since. It had an effect on the YSU players enough that Tamron Smith saluted in the endzone.

Unfortunately, most Citadel Fans are fickle. I was at that game. The one thing I remember most about it, other than you smacked us, was the size of your players. They were huge. We got manhandled.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
Ivy fans are so nonchalant that they either wear a smidgen of their own school's regalia or no school ID at all.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, most Citadel Fans are fickle. I was at that game. The one thing I remember most about it, other than you smacked us, was the size of your players. They were huge. We got manhandled.

Height and weight standards at the Military Academies. Always makes a difference. Usually the speed is on your side. That's why Army is out sized by Navy and Air Force, USN and AF has a more lax standard. xcoolx