PDA

View Full Version : For the record...

Apphole
September 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
App football went to **** (by our standards) BEFORE the FBS move. I can see it now. LFN citing App State as a once-great FCS powerhouse moving to the FBS and subsequently becoming a stinky program. It happened before the move as a result of green coach and a green team.

I'm not counting us out for the long haul, but I will call a spade a spade. App football in 2013 is not very good. I wanted to clarify BEFORE HAND that it has nothing to do with our choice in subdivision.

We have a bright future in Price, Cox and more. We need a leaders to learn how to lead before we return to dominance on the field, in any subdivision.

IBleedYellow
September 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM
You are currently FCS, so that's correct. You fell before going FBS, but I thought you guys would be the team more inclined to do better than GSU in FBS, and I still believe so.

Moto X

ThompsonThe
September 28th, 2013, 07:13 PM
We couldn't beat the local high school team's 3d team right now....if they gave us 50 points.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I'm interested to see how this affects recruiting. Losing even a little momentum can have a huge impact at this point.

ThompsonThe
September 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Yep.

Apphole
September 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I'm interested to see how this affects recruiting. Losing even a little momentum can have a huge impact at this point.

Hopefully they see a team that needs help and a chance to make an impact early. Hopefully they notice the packed student section getting loud and causing wasted timeouts in the 4th quarter, despite the score and an inferior opponent. But honestly, I hope they weren't paying attention at all....

ASU_Fanatic
September 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I'm obviously still very disappointed in Satterfield but the offense wasn't terrible today. They are looking better, I still say Cox will be our best offensive player since Armanti. But back to my point Satt's O is looking better although that 4th and 1 call was incredibly dumb. It's Woody's D that was surprisingly bad, the offense moved the ball pretty well the time they had it today. But we got DOMINATED up front on both sides of the ball, their players looked better conditioned than ours. Our guys looked dead by the end of the game, idk who that's one but our players didn't look very conditioned at all and I'm sure we have more depth than they do. App also has no sure QB. "WHEN YOU HAVE TWO QB'S, YOU HAVE NO QB'S" that quote is true. Jackson just hasn't been the same since his injury and I'm not sure how much faith I have in Bryant either. He shows flashes but is somewhat inconsistent, idk how confident I'd be entering next season with him as the starter. It's funny I've grown up watching Appalachian dominate and now when I'm about to (hopefully) finally become a student there they could be in for some rough seasons. I'm so nervous and stressed about applying to App I seriously about start having breakdowns when I think about it :( God I worry too much lol. I hope I've done enough, I think I have but you can never be too sure. I love this school so much though and today was a very disappointing day.

cmaxwellgsu
September 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Welcome to 2006 GSU football Apphole. When a program coasts a bit, the problems take a bit to fix. That said, I think y'all are handling the head coaching switch better than we did. Y'all aren't dumping the style of play that made you. App has way different challenges than we do in moving up, but I think App is going to get better.

MR. CHICKEN
September 29th, 2013, 08:07 AM
We couldn't beat the local high school team's 3d team right now....if they gave us 50 points.

18349........YEOW!...MAYBEAH...YA'LL SHOODUH WENT....NAIA...OR...FLAG..........:)........AWK!

appst97
September 29th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I'm obviously still very disappointed in Satterfield but the offense wasn't terrible today. They are looking better, I still say Cox will be our best offensive player since Armanti. But back to my point Satt's O is looking better although that 4th and 1 call was incredibly dumb. It's Woody's D that was surprisingly bad, the offense moved the ball pretty well the time they had it today. But we got DOMINATED up front on both sides of the ball, their players looked better conditioned than ours. Our guys looked dead by the end of the game, idk who that's one but our players didn't look very conditioned at all and I'm sure we have more depth than they do. App also has no sure QB. "WHEN YOU HAVE TWO QB'S, YOU HAVE NO QB'S" that quote is true. Jackson just hasn't been the same since his injury and I'm not sure how much faith I have in Bryant either. He shows flashes but is somewhat inconsistent, idk how confident I'd be entering next season with him as the starter. It's funny I've grown up watching Appalachian dominate and now when I'm about to (hopefully) finally become a student there they could be in for some rough seasons. I'm so nervous and stressed about applying to App I seriously about start having breakdowns when I think about it :( God I worry too much lol. I hope I've done enough, I think I have but you can never be too sure. I love this school so much though and today was a very disappointing day.

Not totally disagreeing with you about the defense, but ANY defense that is on the field for over 2/3 of the game is going to be gassed and be susceptible to giving up a lot of yards. As has been the case for many years at App, our offense is our defense worst enemy.

Saint3333
September 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM
This is simply history repeating itself. Every 9-10 years App has a poor year or two.

1984 - Sparky Woods 1st year - 4-7
1993 - Moore - 4-7, also lost to A&T, Satt's first start at QB
2004 - Moore - 6-5
2013 - unknown, but under .500 looks about right as of today

The next year App won a minimum of 9 games. Long term we will be fine.

IBleedYellow
September 29th, 2013, 09:45 AM
This is simply history repeating itself. Every 9-10 years App has a poor year or two.

2004 - Moore - 6-5

While I agree with your premise, I disagree with next year.

This will be your first year of an FBS schedule instead of FCS.

GaSouthern
September 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM
App football went to **** (by our standards) BEFORE the FBS move. I can see it now. LFN citing App State as a once-great FCS powerhouse moving to the FBS and subsequently becoming a stinky program. It happened before the move as a result of green coach and a green team.

I'm not counting us out for the long haul, but I will call a spade a spade. App football in 2013 is not very good. I wanted to clarify BEFORE HAND that it has nothing to do with our choice in subdivision.

We have a bright future in Price, Cox and more. We need a leaders to learn how to lead before we return to dominance on the field, in any subdivision.

App will be fine, I remember thinking in 2004 how sad it is that App will never be a highly competitive team with us again.... yeah I thought that. Then Richie Williams threw like 4736839 complete passes against Furman and I began to worry. xsmhx

PS: Nice to meet you, via twitter yesterday.

Saint3333
September 29th, 2013, 10:30 AM
You are missing the point, we will be fine. 6 wins next year would be equal to 10 FCS wins.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2013, 12:10 PM
y'all need to take a deep breath and relax. One year does not a bad program make.

there's a lot of turmoil and incoherence right now obviously, but rage quitting and asking for the head man's job is not a good idea. App has the athletes still and they'll get better athletes next year on the recruiting trail because they will actually be pitching the FBS card.

with the exception of Montana, App has been competitive in every game they've played this year and the teams they've lost to are still undefeated so it's really not something to scoff at.

let's remember that there have been many instances at which teams had a terrible year the year before and still managed to put together a great team the next year. (09 Wofford finished 3-8, won the socon the next year; GSU pre-Monken to 3 consecutive semifinalist finishes; App in '04 to App in '05)

MR. CHICKEN
September 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM

2004 - Moore - 6-5

18351.....TAKE NOTE..BIZON'S......ONE DAY YA'LL...BE UH DOORMAT...AGIN'...........LIKE DUH REST O' US......BRAWK!

HAPPENED TA BLACK & GOLD (YELLAH?)..WILL HAPPEN TA GREEN & YELLAH (GOLD?)......AWK!

Bisonator
September 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM
18351.....TAKE NOTE..BIZON'S......ONE DAY YA'LL...BE UH DOORMAT...AGIN'...........LIKE DUH REST O' US......BRAWK!

HAPPENED TA BLACK & GOLD (YELLAH?)..WILL HAPPEN TA GREEN & YELLAH (GOLD?)......AWK!

We won't be a doormat any time soon. We've only had 3 losing seasons in the last 30 years. Sure anything can happen.....

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Apphole, don't dive into a pool of moonshine with concrete overshoes. ASU will be all right.

SpeedkingATL
September 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I would like to see App get rid of the mottos (Always Attack, No Equal etc.) the fancy gray combat uniforms, the player introductions with the players acting like clowns and get back to basics. Basics and discipline would go a long way.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2013, 05:24 PM
App will be fine, I remember thinking in 2004 how sad it is that App will never be a highly competitive team with us again.... yeah I thought that. Then Richie Williams threw like 4736839 complete passes against Furman and I began to worry. xsmhx

PS: Nice to meet you, via twitter yesterday.

I go back and forth with the Richie Williams game with Furman fans. Furman has, since the dawn of time, played a soft zone defense and clamped down in the redzone. General ideology is that you take away the big play and force the offense to play mistake free to beat you.

Williams had a whale of a game, but his passing numbers really don't tell the story. He completed a bunch of passes, but Furman was still leading that game late and ASU had only 16 points through three quarters. I won't for a second argue it was a stout defensive effort on Furman's behalf, but folks talk about that game like Richie Williams and the Mountaineers just dominated Furman, and they really didn't.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Apphole, don't dive into a pool of moonshine with concrete overshoes. ASU will be all right.

They'll be fine, but this season might sting. They are 1-3 and haven't even started the tough part of the schedule yet.

I am really (really) interested to see the attendance. If App is going to have a bad year (and I think that is becoming more apparent), I'd like to know whether the attendance takes a dip or a plunge. I've long theorized that we simply have not seen App's attendance figures in a down year well enough to determine what the future will hold. That is, are the attendance numbers just inflated due to overwhelming success, and will those numbers fall perciptiously if the team's no good.

Mountaineer
September 29th, 2013, 05:46 PM
We won't be a doormat any time soon. We've only had 3 losing seasons in the last 30 years. Sure anything can happen.....

Like Saint's earlier post noted, App has had two losing seasons since 1983. There have been a couple mediocre ones here and there, but overall App has been a pretty damn good football program for awhile. It's definitely hard to take seeing the team flounder like it has the so far this season.

Anything can happen..and at some point, it will. xshakefistx

Bisonator
September 29th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Like Saint's earlier post noted, App has had two losing seasons since 1983. There have been a couple mediocre ones here and there, but overall App has been a pretty damn good football program for awhile. It's definitely hard to take seeing the team flounder like it has the so far this season.

Anything can happen..and at some point, it will. xshakefistx

Have faith, we were 3-9 in 2009. All it takes is one great recruiting class. You guys can certainly right the ship. It's definitely difficult to watch though.

Saint3333
September 29th, 2013, 07:22 PM

In the last thirty years App has had two losing seasons. Everyone has down years.

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I go back and forth with the Richie Williams game with Furman fans. Furman has, since the dawn of time, played a soft zone defense and clamped down in the redzone. General ideology is that you take away the big play and force the offense to play mistake free to beat you.

Williams had a whale of a game, but his passing numbers really don't tell the story. He completed a bunch of passes, but Furman was still leading that game late and ASU had only 16 points through three quarters. I won't for a second argue it was a stout defensive effort on Furman's behalf, but folks talk about that game like Richie Williams and the Mountaineers just dominated Furman, and they really didn't.

I've never heard any App fans talk about App dominating the game. I have heard people be thoroughly impressed with Richie's game, as they should have been.

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 09:47 AM
They'll be fine, but this season might sting. They are 1-3 and haven't even started the tough part of the schedule yet.

I am really (really) interested to see the attendance. If App is going to have a bad year (and I think that is becoming more apparent), I'd like to know whether the attendance takes a dip or a plunge. I've long theorized that we simply have not seen App's attendance figures in a down year well enough to determine what the future will hold. That is, are the attendance numbers just inflated due to overwhelming success, and will those numbers fall perciptiously if the team's no good.

Why are you so interested in App's attendance? I've never considered Furman's.

pike51
September 30th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Just beat Chattanooga. Nothing else matters! :)

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Just beat Chattanooga. Nothing else matters! :)

I only had two necessary wins coming into the season: Elon and WCU. I don't feel it necessary for us to beat Chatty, but it would be the icing on the cake. xlolx

ElCid
September 30th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I only had two necessary wins coming into the season: Elon and WCU. I don't feel it necessary for us to beat Chatty, but it would be the icing on the cake. xlolx

We aren't a necessary win? I feel slighted.

Twentysix
September 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Disappointed that App is going out without ever playing NDSU. I always wanted to have a reason to see a three person band comprised of a banjo a washboard and an empty jug. :(

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Serious question. Is this Satterfield's first head coaching gig ever? Sometimes it takes time to get the program to completing "the Satterfield way". Lehigh suffered through a rough patch before Andy Coen has set up the programs good success for the past three years. It took time for him to get his feet under him, and now Lehigh is reaping rewards from the patience offered to him.

pike51
September 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM

F those 2 and focus on Chatty. All the pain and anguish we can give Chattown this year is parting gift enough!

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 11:55 AM
We aren't a necessary win? I feel slighted.

We had no significant streak to maintain with you guys. As much as I'd like payback for last year, keeping Elon winless against us and maintaining the jug are higher priorities.

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Serious question. Is this Satterfield's first head coaching gig ever? Sometimes it takes time to get the program to completing "the Satterfield way". Lehigh suffered through a rough patch before Andy Coen has set up the programs good success for the past three years. It took time for him to get his feet under him, and now Lehigh is reaping rewards from the patience offered to him.

Yes. And you're spot-on.

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 11:57 AM
F those 2 and focus on Chatty. All the pain and anguish we can give Chattown this year is parting gift enough!

Agreed. But, we can't lose the jug.

ElCid
September 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Agreed. But, we can't lose the jug.

As I have mentioned earlier, I don't really care about your game with Western, but since you are leaving I really have to pull for them in a big way. It would be poetic justice for them, having suffered for so long. But yeah, App beating Chatty would just be funny and icing on the cake.

ASUMountaineer
September 30th, 2013, 02:58 PM
As I have mentioned earlier, I don't really care about your game with Western, but since you are leaving I really have to pull for them in a big way. It would be poetic justice for them, having suffered for so long. But yeah, App beating Chatty would just be funny and icing on the cake.

If I were a fan of any other SoCon team, I'd be rooting for Western in that game as well.

Smitty
September 30th, 2013, 03:03 PM
And app fans say the rivalry is dead.