PDA

View Full Version : Colston - The Pride of the Saints

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I have a co-worker clamouring for a Marques Colston jersey. I asked, do you know where he went to school and they knew, Hofstra. I, of course, reminded them that Hofstra was a proud I-AA institution!

Colston is one very popular Saints player. Heard of Joe Horn? This co-worker even told me that Colston was close in catching up with Horn as her favorite member of the Saints. I have heard nothing but good things about the former I-AA star. I'm looking forward to watching him tonight and of course, seeing what he can do the rest of his career.

Always nice to see a I-AA star making good at the next level, especially someone who was pretty close to being Mr Irrelevant. Pick #252 and now he is definitely worthy of some accolades. Keep it Colston!

==============
Pride of the Saints
Former Hofstra star Colston is catching on in New Orleans
BY TOM ROCK
Newsday Staff Writer

September 24, 2006

Hours before he plays in a game, long before the fans begin to drift through the gates, Marques Colston goes for a walk. He takes just a few minutes to stroll the field, get adjusted to the light, take in the smells and absorb some of the atmosphere. It's just one of the ways the wide receiver from Hofstra settles himself with the fact that he is about to play in an NFL stadium, those places he had always seen on television.

He did it before his first game two weeks ago at Cleveland Browns Stadium. He did it last week at historic Lambeau Field in Green Bay. And sometime tonight, he'll emerge from the dressing room of the New Orleans Saints and step onto the field at the Superdome.

It's a building, like the others he has played in this season, that he has seen on television. But the last time he saw images from the Superdome, they weren't of football players. They were the heart-tugging visuals of people pushed to the precipice of death, some of whom plunged over the other side. Survivors of last summer's Hurricane Katrina sought refuge in the humongous edifice, only to have it turn into a desert island in the middle of a flood-covered city. No food, no water and, in many instances, no hope.

When Colston walks the field tonight, before the Saints host the Falcons in a game that holds an importance in the city that is far loftier than football, the dome will be empty of fans. But it will be filled with the souls of those who last filled the multi-colored Mardi Gras seats, who watched the roof open to the elements, who came looking for help and found none.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spsunspec174905192sep24,0,2021434.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2006, 09:54 PM
For those watching MNF, Colston and Hofstra have been getting serious love from the booth.

Bush looks like the green rookie out there - Colston looks like the up-and-coming star!

grizband
September 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Colston ended the game with 7 receptions, 97 yards, and many compliments from the announcers booth. They commented on how Colston is the type of player who will keep working to get better, and how he fits perfectly into this system. I can't wait to see how well he does for the rest of the season! Good luck Marques.

youwouldno
September 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I'm glad I was able to see him in person when Hofstra came to Furman last year. The most spectacular catch of that game was made by Devale Ellis (luckily the Paladins prevailed in spite of Hofstra's unreal WRs), but Colston is just so big and strong, in addition of course to being able to run routes and catch the ball. Hopefully his career will continue on an upward trajectory.

Uncle Buck
September 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM
It was good to be able to watch him last night as well. He's catching the ball much more with his hands now and really looks like he belongs. Hopefully he does get better each week.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Strangely, Furman Maurice Duncan shut down Colston last year (he had maybe one catch) but the entire Falcons defensive secondary couldn't.

Uncle Buck
September 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Strangely, Furman Maurice Duncan shut down Colston last year (he had maybe one catch) but the entire Falcons defensive secondary couldn't.

That's becuase we had an offensive coordinator who didn't know how to use Colston's size. While he caught a bunch of passes last year, they were all quick hitters or screens. Very rarely did he stretch the field with Colston or even let him gp up for jump balls in the endzone. Not trying to steal your kids thunder, but that was a major complaint from HU fans all season long.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 01:12 PM
No, I totally agree with you. I spoke with some of the Furman players after that game and they said that if the big Hofstra recievers weren't going out for a pass, they wouldn't even pretend to. They seemed to be so tired after the half that if they didn't have the possibility of catching a pass they wouldn't work down the field. 93 degree SC heat probably didn't help either.

After watching one game (limited number most certainly), it seemed that the Hofstra coaches didn't rotate their recievers at all and he stayed gassed. If they had given him a blow on occassion, he probably could have stretched the field with regularity.

blur2005
September 30th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I'm really glad I picked him up in week 2 as a backup tight end in fantasy football. Now he's eligible at both WR and TE, which could make him invaluable, especially since he may be the number one target now in New Orleans.

GeauxColonels
September 30th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but I also think it's safe to say that Hofstra didn't have other weapons like Reggie Bush, Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn that draws the most of the attention of defensive coordinators.

I just wish I would have picked him up for my fantasy league. He's quickly become Brees's favorite target (partially because everyone is so preoccupied with the other playmakers on the team). However, I think even after defenses begin to play him tighter he'll still be making plays. He's a good player, great skills and a terriffic work ethic. I think it's only up-hill for his career right now.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Colston is a quality player- I may have to pick him up for my fantasy team :)

smallcollegefbfan
October 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Had had over 100 yards and 1 TD yesterday against Carolina. There are 2 non I-A starters who are rookies for the Saints right now. You have to love to see these guys make it.

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
That's it, I am now a Saints fan.

GeauxColonels
October 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
That's it, I am now a Saints fan.
You sure you don't want to rethink that? Us Saints fans live with constant disappointment. :(

Mr. C
October 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I don't know what game you were watching, but Colston had seven catches for 64 yards and one touchdown catch of 11 yards against Furman last season. His touchdown gave Hofstra a 35-28 lead in the fourth quarter that wasn't overcome until Furman tied the game with 32 seconds left.

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
You sure you don't want to rethink that? Us Saints fans live with constant disappointment. :(

That's okay, i've learned to live with disappointment, my other team is the Jets :(

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I don't know what game you were watching, but Colston had seven catches for 64 yards and one touchdown catch of 11 yards against Furman last season. His touchdown gave Hofstra a 35-28 lead in the fourth quarter that wasn't overcome until Furman tied the game with 32 seconds left.

Okay, no need to rehash an old nightmare loss :smiley_wi

GeauxColonels
October 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
That's okay, i've learned to live with disappointment, my other team is the Jets :(
Well, between the Saints, Chicago Cubs and Nicholls State, I've lived with disappointment my whole life.:(

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Well, between the Saints, Chicago Cubs and Nicholls State, I've lived with disappointment my whole life.:(

touche my friend, touche xsmileyclapx

GeauxColonels
October 6th, 2006, 08:34 PM
touche my friend, touche xsmileyclapx
xlolx xlolx :lmao: xlolx xlolx :lmao: xlolx xlolx