PDA

View Full Version : The Webb Knocks of Richmond

AppMan
September 14th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Wild finish Boiling Springs. Dogs don't score TD all night but beat the Spiders 12-10 when last second Richmond FC falls just short. Webb coaching staff makes a blunder that almost cost them the game. 3rd down pass comes up short for first down inside the Rich 20. With 15 sec left on play clock they call TO with 25 sec left instead of letting the clock run down more before kicking the winning FG. Ensuing KO goes into the endzone and with no timeouts Spiders make it to the GW 32 with 3 sec left for the FG try. Watched on ESPN3. Heck of a ball game.

Lehigh'98
September 14th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Wow!! GW turning it around this year

DoubleH
September 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Watched the 4th quarter, and I gotta admit, G-W looked like they belonged.

Richmond loses a heartbreaker to NC State last week, then can't beat G-W. Crazy year.

rokamortis
September 14th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Should Gardner-Webb be ranked?

AppMan
September 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Hard to say. Got blown out at Marshall 55-0 and beat a bad Furman team that got past Presbyterian by 1 today. Still a huge win for Carroll McCray and the GW.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I came away from the Big South media day very impressed with Carroll McCray (part of the Sparky Woods/App State coaching tree).

ASU_Fanatic
September 14th, 2013, 08:57 PM
wow. HUGE UPS to a local school. go dawgs

ElCid
September 14th, 2013, 09:05 PM

Right now I am more inclined to punish Richmond a bit than reward GW, but they are on my watch list for certain. I have to say that I am pretty much convinced on Coastal now though. That was a good victory on the road.

cmaxwellgsu
September 14th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Got to give credit to the Big South this year. I'm definitely paying attention.

rokamortis
September 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Right now I am more inclined to punish Richmond a bit than reward GW, but they are on my watch list for certain. I have to say that I am pretty much convinced on Coastal now though. That was a good victory on the road.

I think Richmond should be punished ... just wondering if the Furman and Richmond wins are enough to get the dawgs in the polls. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt ... but I am a little biased.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Funny how a few weeks changes things. Furman loses by 7 to GWU on the road in week 1, and folks talk like its the most embarrassing loss in the history of the program. They beat Richmond two weeks later, and now they are in the conversation to be ranked.

I will say that I would like to know how the Big South recruited an army of 6'4 receivers. Furman has played what seems like half the conference, and all of these teams are loaded with size on the outside.

rokamortis
September 14th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I will say that I would like to know how the Big South recruited an army of 6'4 receivers. Furman has played what seems like half the conference, and all of these teams are loaded with size on the outside.

But your guys probably have better SAT scores :)

Oh, and yes you have played half of the conference. Only 6 Big South teams this year.

rokamortis
September 14th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Funny how a few weeks changes things. Furman loses by 7 to GWU on the road in week 1, and folks talk like its the most embarrassing loss in the history of the program. They beat Richmond two weeks later, and now they are in the conversation to be ranked.

Bad loss for you, good win for them. Richmond was an even better win.

WrenFGun
September 14th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I don't really understand how Strauss could have such a good day and result in exactly 10 points, the TD being scored in the final 2 minutes.

mainejeff
September 14th, 2013, 09:34 PM
But Richmond is a pre-season CAA favorite.......we MUST keep voting for them in the Top 25 no matter how many games that they lose!

OLDLCOACH111
September 14th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I don't really understand how Strauss could have such a good day and result in exactly 10 points, the TD being scored in the final 2 minutes.
avg .5 yds a carry for 10 yards the entire game... thats how.. one dimensional offense leads to predictable third and longs ..

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I'm feeling pretty awful about this result but credit to the Runnin Bulldogs. Congrats.

wmmii
September 14th, 2013, 11:03 PM

I concur on these thoughts for my voting also .

Squealofthepig
September 14th, 2013, 11:06 PM
But Richmond is a pre-season CAA favorite.......we MUST keep voting for them in the Top 25 no matter how many games that they lose!

Oh, you're just jealous of all their meaningful losses, since you have none yet!

wmmii
September 14th, 2013, 11:06 PM

Start voting for William & Mary....good wins last two weeks and played WVA tough

dbackjon
September 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Big South is looking tough this year.

kdinva
September 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Big South is looking tough this year.

5/6 teams anyway...... xblehx xbadx

elcid83
September 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM

ElCid, Word on the street is that GWU and our alma mater has lined up a home and home deal for the near future. I'll certainly be interested to see how my son's alma mater performs against ours.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs[and Bulldogs]!

knucklehead
September 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM
GO GW. Go Big south. Thanks for riling up UR GW.

Yea, and then there is VMI. And they wanted to go to the SoCon? WOW!

citdog
September 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM
ElCid, Word on the street is that GWU and our alma mater has lined up a home and home deal for the near future. I'll certainly be interested to see how my son's alma mater performs against ours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0dhDdoLs

ElCid
September 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM

I hope you did not get me wrong, I was impressed that GW found a way to win, but until I see some consistency (that is must for my rankings) I have to wait a bit. Gardner Webb got a win over a suspect Furman and got drubbed by Marshall. I wish the Marshall game had been a little closer or at least not a shut out. The victory over Richmond was, in my opinion, landmark for their program. They got the W and that is really what matters. Unfortunately, after Wofford, GW only realistically has CCU and Liberty to prove itself. I had not heard of any deal with Cid but that would be great. We have not played before. I would like our team to play some new schools. I know we have Coastal next year in Chucktown.

Go Dogs, the Bull- type and Runnin' Bull- type, at least until we do play.xpeacex

elcid83
September 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I hope you did not get me wrong, I was impressed that GW found a way to win, but until I see some consistency (that is must for my rankings) I have to wait a bit. Gardner Webb got a win over a suspect Furman and got drubbed by Marshall. I wish the Marshall game had been a little closer or at least not a shut out. The victory over Richmond was, in my opinion, landmark for their program. They got the W and that is really what matters. Unfortunately, after Wofford, GW only realistically has CCU and Liberty to prove itself. I had not heard of any deal with Cid but that would be great. We have not played before. I would like our team to play some new schools. I know we have Coastal next year in Chucktown.

Go Dogs, the Bull- type and Runnin' Bull- type, at least until we do play.xpeacex

Was simply reporting that I had heard from a credible source that the two teams were going to play in the future - didn't get anybody wrong...

ngineer
September 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Gotta believe the Spiders were overlooking the Hyphenateds after being close to NC State. Must respect your opponent. Woodshed time.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Gotta believe the Spiders were overlooking the Hyphenateds after being close to NC State. Must respect your opponent. Woodshed time.

knucklehead
September 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/caa/gardner-webb-was-prepared-for-ur/article_2cfcb8b5-7260-5bb2-a6a9-5787584bdaa7.html

Rocco said his staff tried to get the Spiders to focus on the Bulldogs’ season-opening win over Furman, “but the message was not received. It’s my job to get that model out there, and I just didn’t do a good enough job of getting it out there.”

SpeedkingATL
September 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Impressive win by the Bullpups and it looks like the Big South is on the upswing.

knucklehead
September 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Yea, what looked like a 2 team race for the BSC Championship and Auto Bid may be a four team race.

FCSfan
September 16th, 2013, 09:20 AM
signature win for the dawgs....congrats!

and good luck to the Richmond kid that caught the go ahead score in the 4th qtr. that leg rehab will be tough. God bless!